I Want to Be the Prettiest Wreck You've Ever Seen

Chapter Sixteen: The Sound of Names Dropping

I took a step toward him and he stepped away, matching the distance.

“Jackson-“ I started, confused but he closed his eyes like the sound of my voice caused him pain.

“Please.” He whispered. “Just go away.” It felt like everything in me disappeared. I had no insides, all my feelings were gone. I was just an empty suit. He didn’t open his eyes, but I nodded anyways. I slowly walked into the cafeteria as if someone else was controlling me. I sat down, composed. I could barely feel that there was no emotion on my face. Mike looked at me worriedly.

“What’s the matter?” He asked. I shook my head, the detached actor taking control.

“Nothing-just tired.” My voice said. I noticed Ashley’s eyes flashed to me.

“Maggie-“ She started but Kellan, Rob, Taylor and Justin came back in. She fell silent. We didn’t get a chance to talk for the rest of the day. She didn’t ask about Jackson and no one else brought him up, but he disappeared for the rest of the day.

I was walking out to my car alone, Justin had left an hour earlier. Ashley skipped next to me and watched me quietly.

“He asked me to go away.” I said quietly.

“Oh, honey.” She said apologetically. I shrugged.

“It’s Justin’s fault. He has that effect on the people I like.” I sighed. “After what he said to the guys today-I’m surprised any of them are still talking to me.” I was quiet for a second. “It wouldn’t be the first time.” She paused in her step and I could feel that she wanted to say something. “Say it.” I said, half smiling.

“So I talked to Jackson today, after you had seen him and he said that he had heard us in the bathroom and what you said about not knowing anymore.” She started.

“Uh-huh.” I prompted.

“And the thought-“ Then it clicked. My heart stopped beating.

“He thought I was talking about him.” I finished. She nodded and I felt all the blood drain out of my face. “I didn’t, though!” I panicked.

“I know.” She said softly. I looked around our surroundings for him so I could explain to him and hold him in my arms, to feel his warm breath of my face, but he wasn’t in sight. “He walked home.” She explained. I looked at him.

“Will you tell him what I really meant?” I asked. She nodded. “Thanks.” I whispered as everyone else joined us. Rob put his arm around my shoulders and looked at him in the failing light.

“What’s wrong?” He asked quietly as everyone else started talking loudly. I shook my head.

“Just frustrated.” I muttered.

“Jackson?” He guessed.

“And Justin.”

“Ah. Yes.” He said softly. I hung my head as we reached the cars. Rob walked me to my car. “I hope you don’t mind my saying-but I don’t like him.” I chuckled half heartedly.

“It’s alright. I agree.” He blinked at me.

“So why be nice to him?” He asked, confused.

“You know me.” I said flippantly. “Besides-he’s been my best friend since I can remember. He was my first boyfriend…”

“What happened with that?” He asked, tilting his head.

“Well, we were dating and he…wanted something more from me.” I said vaguely, but he understood what I meant and I noticed his fists clenched. “I said no-one of my rules.” I looked to the ground, picturing that day it happened, in my old dinning room. The China cabinets, the blood red rug covering the mahogany wood under our feet as we sat at the long cherry wood table. I blinked, bringing myself back to see Rob looking at me.

“Anyways, he got mad and yelled at me. He said that I should act more like a girl. I should be more like Monica. He said he was ‘sure that Monica slept with her boyfriend.’ And when I decided I wanted to act more like a girl I should give him a call.” I said, leaving out some of the dirtier things he had said. It wouldn’t help the anger that was flashing through his eyes. I could feel the fury that was pulsating off of him. I gently touched his hand and he carefully curled his fingers around mine.

He didn’t say anything; he merely pressed my hand firmly to his mouth, closing his eyes tightly.

“Rob-“ I started. He dropped my hand and pulled me into a bone crushing hug. My arms went around him automatically.

“I am so sorry-“ He started breathlessly, burying his face in my neck. “That your best friend is an asshole.” He finished, lightly kissing the side of my neck. I chuckled.

“Oh-they’re not.” I said. “But you’re right-Justin is.” I added. He looked at me. We were alone in the dark parking lot now.

“What do you mean?” He asked. I put my hands on his face, holding his gaze. He still had his amber contacts in and the color was unnerving in the darkness.

“My best friends, that would be you and Ashley first and foremost, are the best friends I’ve ever had. Justin, now that I think about it, hasn’t been my friend for a long time.” I said. He gave an impish grin and I hugged him.

“I love you.” He whispered, kissing my forehead.

“Aw, Rob, I love you, too.” I said back, hugging him tighter. He rubbed my arms as I shivered.

“Honey, you’re freezing.” He said and moved me gently so he could open my door for me. He hesitated, frowning at me.

“What’s the matter?” I asked.

“You’re still going to be nice to him, aren’t you?” He sighed.

“Civil.” I corrected. “He’s only here for a few days. After he leaves I’ll never speak to him again.” I said. He lightly brushed my cheek with the back of his cool hand.

“You’re too good. He doesn’t deserve you.” He whispered. I blushed and was thankful for the darkness in the lot. He gently guided me into the car and shut my door. He started to walk around to the passenger side when I let out a tiny sneeze. He looked at me as he slid in next to me. I let out another, and then another. In all-I sneezed eight times in a row.

“Let’s get you home and nice and warm.” He suggested. I nodded and started the car. He cranked the heat as I pulled out of the parking lot. I drove him to their rented house and parked in front.

“I’ll talk to Jay, get him to see reason.” He offered.

“Thanks, Rob.” I said, half smiling.

“Get some rest, love.” He said softly, kissing my forehead.

“Night, Rob.” I said as he climbed out. He waved and jogged inside. I took off for home, my head feeling light and dizzy. I parked in the garage and walked slowly inside. Kevin was up in the shower when I went upstairs.

“Maggie?” He called through the steam filled bathroom.

“Hi, Kevin.” I called back.

“You ok?” He asked over the running water.

“Yeah. I’m going to bed-I’m not feeling great.” I said, heading for my room.

“Alright. Feel better."

“Thanks.” I sighed.

“Don’t forget Mollie comes tomorrow.” He called.

“Right.”

“I’m picking her up so the guys have the day off.” He said.

“Ok.” I crawled into bed and tried to get comfortable. I tossed and turned for about three hours before I ran to the bathroom, emptying what little there was into the porcelain toilet bowl. I was hoping it wouldn’t have to come to this-I hated throwing up.

I waited until I was done before scrubbing my mouth with my toothbrush and dragging myself back to bed. I suffered for a few more hours before finally passing out.

By the time I woke up the next morning, Kevin was gone and I was feeling much worse. I stumbled into the bathroom to wash my face. I grabbed a ton of movies and carried them down the stairs with my big comforter. I put on the tea kettle to heat up water for tea. I put in the first of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and waited for my tea.

I finished making it and sat in my favorite saucer chair, turning on the movie. About half way through I got a text from Ashley, asking if I was home. I hit reply.


Yeah-and I’m sick so make sure no one comes over.
I don’t want you guys getting sick
~Maggie


I held my hot tea cup in my hands, hoping it would warm me up a little. I didn’t dare eat anything in case I wouldn’t be able to keep it down.

My movie ended and I got up painfully to put in the second one when the front door opened, bringing a large gust of cold air. I shivered and looked over to see Jackson staring at me. I groaned and turned away. Why was he here? To yell at me some more?

“Ashley said you were sick.” His soft voice said, right in my ear, making me jump.

“Yeah-so why are you here?” I asked, a littler harsher than I meant to.

“To make you feel better.” He said quietly. I turned to look at him.

“Really?” I raised my eyebrows. “What about the part where you’re mad at me? Again?” I said. He frowned.

“Ashley and Rob both explained that to me.” He sighed. “I’m sorry I keep doing this to you.” He said, staring at the floor. I gently touched his smooth cheek to make him look at me.

“What did I do?” I asked pathetically. He bit his soft lip and threw his arms around me tightly.

“Absolutely nothing.” He whispered. “You’re perfect.” I sighed and tried to back away but he wouldn’t let go.

“Jackson-“ I started.

“I love when you say my name.” He said quietly.

“I need an explanation.” I said firmly, ignoring the rush surging through me.

“I was stupid and let everything get to me.” He said into my neck. “I thought everything was going right on my birthday and I went to the set the next day, hoping to spend every second I could with you but then I ran into Justin.” He scowled as he said the name. “He was saying such awful things about you. He kept calling you Peggy and then he led you away like he owned you and you let him.” He said softly. “And then when we were in the cafeteria, and you had gone to talk to Peter, he was flirting like crazy with Kristen and Nikki. That made me mad because he was supposed to be here for you.

“And then Kellan made us show him around and he started saying how he didn’t feel bad hitting you because you weren’t really a girl.” He said and I could feel his hands ball into fists on my back.

“I heard that.” I said quietly.

“Why are you still nice to him?” He asked, looking at me.

“Same reason you were still nice to Cara even though she was driving you nuts.” I said. He chuckled and kissed my forehead. “By the way-I’m sick and you shouldn’t be here. I don’t want you sick, too.” I said. He just laughed and led me over to the love seat.

“Like I’m leaving you.” He said sarcastically. He made me sit down and he went over to my movies, taking out Pirates 2 and putting in another one before coming back to sit with me. He pulled me comfortably against his side and covered me with my big blanket. The movie had gone to the main menu screen and I saw that he had put in The Princess Bride. I smiled to myself and looked at him.

“You promised you would watch it with me.” He whispered, his lips brushing my ear. Warmth spread through me at such a simply touch and I snuggled deeper into his protective arms.

“I’m so not complaining.” I said. “But if you get sick-it’s not my fault.” He chuckled and kissed the top of my head.

“That’s ok-it’s worth it.” I blushed as he hit play. In the middle of the movie the back door opened so Jackson hit pause. Kevin peeked his head into the living room where I was still snuggled into Jay’s arms. He blinked, surprised to see Jackson, but smiled sadly.

“How you feeling, kiddo?” He asked, setting down two large suit cases.

“A little better.” I mumbled. “Hi, Mollie.” I said a little louder so she could hear me. I heard her stumble into the kitchen.

“Hey.” I heard her call back. Jackson started rubbing small circles on the back of my hand. “Oh!” I heard her exclaim loudly and there was a loud bang in the kitchen. Kevin turned his head and just chuckled, looking back to us.

“Is she related to you?” Jackson whispered in my ear. I shook my head.

“Kevin’s niece.” I whispered back.

“I’m good!” She called. I chuckled and started to get up to help bring the suitcases upstairs.

“Where are you going?” Jackson asked, not letting me go.

“To help with the suitcases.” I said.

“Stay-I’ll help.” He said, standing up.

“But-“ I protested. He kissed my cheek, momentarily stunning me.

“I’ll be right back.” He said and walked over to Kevin. “Where are these going?” He asked, picking up the heavy cases. I felt my eyes widen slightly as his muscles tightened against the sleeves of his tight knit shirt with the effort of the lifting.

“The room next to Maggie’s.” Kevin said. Jackson turned and winked at me before heading up the stairs. My heart was pounding and my breathing staggered as I watched him. Kevin followed him and Mollie walked awkwardly into the living room.

“Hey, Molls.” I said as she sat on the longer couch. Her choppy, dirty blonde hair was separated into low, spunky pigtails.

“Uncle Kevin said you were sick.” She said by way of apology. I nodded.
“I’m feeling better though.” I said.

“Is that your boyfriend taking care of you?” She asked, glancing at the stairs. I sighed before shaking my head sadly. I wish. She seemed to understand my reluctance. “Oh, I see.” She said softly. I half smiled as I heard the guys come back down. Kevin walked back into the kitchen and Jackson walked over to where I sat. I leaned forward so he could retake his seat. He smiled and sat down, pulling me back to him. He fixed the blanket and laced his fingers with mine. I smiled at the familiarity he was comfortable with around me.

“Jackson, this is Mollie. Mollie, this is Jackson.” I introduced. Jackson waved and Mollie smiled brightly.

“Ready?” He asked quietly. I nodded and he pressed play, starting the movie back up. Mollie watched for a few minutes before going up to her room to unpack.

The movie ended and he hit stop. I looked at him and he grinned.

“I like that movie.” He said. I just smiled. “You’re feeling better.” He said. It wasn’t a question.

“What?” I asked, confused.

“Your eyes are brighter than they were earlier.” He said softly. My cheeks flushed slightly and he just chuckled.

He stayed for two more movies before I was starting to fall asleep. He carried me up to my room and put me carefully in my bed.

“Sweet dreams, angel.” He whispered. I felt him kiss my forehead before he left.

I woke up the next morning feeling way better and realized it was Christmas Eve. The cast would only be working half a day before catching flights to their homes to celebrate Christmas.

I quickly got ready to go and went downstairs with a big bag from American Eagle with everyone’s presents. Mollie was sitting at the table, looking really bored.

“Hey, Molls.” I said, setting my bag on the table to put on my cons.

“Hi.” She said dully.

“Bored?” I guessed. She nodded, sighing. “Why don’t you come to the set with me? Meet everyone else?” I suggested and her face lit up.

“Really?”

“Yeah. I have to give them their presents before they leave, so why not?” I shrugged. She clapped.

“Ok!” She dashed to put her shoes on, tripping along the way.

“I’m not leaving without you-you can take your time.” I said, laughing.

“I get to meet Rob!” She squealed. I laughed harder as I took my bag out to my car. She skipped out a few minutes later before stopping dead when she saw my car.

“Whoa.” She gasped. I chuckled as we both climbed in and I cranked the heat. She cleared her throat and looked at me. “So Jackson really likes you.” She commented.

“Oh yeah?” I replied casually, but my heart rate had picked up and I struggled to keep my voice even.

“Yeah. He told before he left last night.” She said and I could feel her watching me. “But he said he was going to have a hard time being around you when you’re with Justin.” She said. I sighed.

“I had a feeling that was the case.” I said quietly.

“I remember Justin.” She said as we pulled into the lot. “I don’t like him.”

“No one does.” I added and she laughed as I pulled into a parking space. I grabbed my bag and we walked inside the gate and over to the doors.

“If we see him can we run the other way?” She asked and I couldn’t stop myself from snorting with laughter.

“Sure.” We walked by the library but it was empty.

“Would they be in there?” She asked.

“Jackson would be if he were waiting for me.” I said. “This is usually where I hang out so I’m not in the way.” I explained.

“Ah-I see.” She said seriously. I just shook my head as we kept walking towards the cafeteria. She tripped over a bar in the floor.

“Fail!” She laughed loudly. I chuckled at the triumphant look on her face. We both looked up at the same time to see Justin and Jackson standing at the end of the hallway. “Epic Fail!” She said loudly. I shook with silent laughter as I looked at Jackson. I smiled at him and he smiled back apologetically before turning to walk away. I sighed and pulled out my cell phone to text him as we continued to walk.


Don’t leave without saying goodbye!


We reached Justin but I didn’t stop walking.

“Peggy-“ He started, confused.

“Mollie, Justin. Justin, Mollie.” I said absentmindedly, waiting for Jackson’s reply.

“Hi. Pegs-“ He started again. I looked up just in time to see Mollie stomp on his foot as hard as she could.

“Her name’s Maggie. Learn it, love it…Live it.” She said fiercely. I choked back my laughter as my phone vibrated in my hand.


As I said at Thanksgiving: I’ll never leave without saying goodbye


I couldn’t stop the smile that spread across my face at his words. Suddenly my phone was snatched out of my hand and I looked up to see Justin holding my phone above his head, looking really pissed.

“Give it back, Justin.” I said firmly.

“No.” He said, smirking. Mollie took my bag from me and I stretched on my tiptoes, trying to reach my phone.

“Justin!” I said angrily. “Give me my phone back.” I demanded. He just laughed, backing away. I hate being short. I spotted Kellan standing behind Justin and he grabbed my phone for me.

“Thanks.” I beamed at him as he handed it to me, pecking my cheek. “Kellan, this is Mollie-Kevin’s niece. Molls, this is Kellan.” I introduced, ignoring Justin. Kellan grinned and hugged Mollie tightly. He let her go and looked back at me.

“What’s in the bag?"

“Presents.” I answered. “I wanted to give them to you guys before you left tonight.” I said. He took the bag from Mollie and led the way to the cafeteria with Justin following us silently. We reached the lunch room where everyone was sitting except for Kristen. I led Mollie over, standing behind Taylor and absentmindedly playing with his hair again and Kellan set the bag in the center of the table.

“Guy, this is Mollie Heiser. She’s Kevin’s niece.” I started. “You’ve met Jackson and Kellan already. That’s Ashley, Nikki, Anna, Mikey, Rob and Taylor.” I said, pointing to everyone. Taylor turned to look at me.

“You always say me last.” He pouted.

“Saving the best for last.” I joked. He grinned and his eyes flickered to Mollie. His face was oddly blank for a few seconds before he broke into a wide grin. He moved over so she could sit next to him and I started playing with his short hair again. I looked at Jackson but he was glaring at Justin who was watching Ashley and Nikki. Kellan started passing out the gifts and I cleared my throat, hoping to catch Jackson’s attention. He flickered his eyes over to me. I made a motion like I was going to text him and he nodded, understanding. I pulled out my phone and text him one handed, still playing with Taylor’s hair. Everyone was talking easily to Mollie and getting along, much like my first day.


Can you do me a favor?


I waited for him to reply as everyone got their presents. Even Justin and Mollie had something to open. Jackson’s sat untouched in front of him as he replied to my text first.


Anything as long as I don’t have to be nice to him


I chuckled and hit reply.


Of course not. In fact, it will really piss him off.
I want to keep Ash and Nikki and Kristen away from him


Everyone had opened their presents and they were now staring at me. I felt my face turn scarlet and dropped my gaze to the floor. Then I was suddenly crushed in a giant group hug with everyone but Justin.

“Can’t…breathe.” I gasped. They all backed off quickly except for Jackson who remained holding my hand.

“Walk with me.” He whispered and led me out of the cafeteria. He was quiet and he typed into his cell phone, only looking up so he wouldn’t run head long into a wall. He finished and stuck his phone in his pocket and led me into a side hallway, stopping and gently pushing me against the wall. He watched me for a second before smirking.

“You look nervous.” He noted, tracing my lips lightly with his index finger.

“I feel like you’re going to yell at me.” I admitted, staring back into his warm eyes. I couldn’t bring myself to look away.

“Well, you are crazy, but I’m not going to yell at you.” He said softly.

“Promise?” I requested. He carefully brushed my hair out of my face, his fingers landing lightly on the back of my neck and his palm cupping the side of my throat. His thumb was gently tracing a line up and down my jaw as he grinned impishly at me. My heart raced, stuttered and came to a thudding halt in my chest and I suddenly forgot how to breathe. He leaned closer, seeming to know the effect he was having on me.

“I promise.” His lips were lightly touching mine as his spoke and suddenly the heart beat I didn’t have spiked in excitement. The hand that wasn’t on my face was holding my hand and my free hand was gripping the shirt at his waist. I moved my lips more firmly to his-this was all I wanted.

“Peggy!” I heard Justin’s voice calling. I twitched in surprise and annoyance, but I didn’t want to move. Jackson let me have one small final kiss before backing away, letting go of me completely. I desperately wanted to punch Justin right now. I took in Jackson’s stance and chuckled in spite of my own anger. His hands were balled into fists and his jaw was clenched so tight I feared he would break his teeth.

“Merry frigging Christmas.” I muttered as I could hear Justin’s footsteps. Jackson cracked a smile and relaxed as he hugged me tightly to him.

“Thank you.” He whispered.

“Of course, honey.” I said, resting my head on his shoulder and turning my face into his neck. I lightly kissed the side of his throat and he shuddered, stepping away, his face turning pink.

“Sorry.” He mumbled and I bit my lip to keep from smiling.

“Peggy!” Justin called again, this time more frustrated. I sighed.

“You can leave if you want. I won’t make you stay.” I said. He lightly kissed my lips and a surge of heat flashed through me.

“I…” He started but paused. “I’ll miss you.” He whispered. I frowned but smiled at him.

“Me, too.” I said. He squeezed my hand before walking away from the direction Justin was. I sighed and walked towards Justin reluctantly.

“There you are!” He said happily, throwing his arm roughly around my shoulders. I clenched my jaw but didn’t say anything. We reached the cafeteria and there were two new people at our group. I recognized one as John Patrick Amedori who starred along Kellan in Stick It. I went over to the table and sat next to Rob and Justin sat next to me. One of the new guys, not John, was talking and by the bored, annoyed looks of everyone at the table-he had been talking for a while. No one was looking at him, probably hoping he would stop. Rob leaned into my shoulder and groaned quietly.

“He won’t shut up.” I listened to what the new kid was saying.

“And I was having lunch with Tom Hanks the other day…” He said, but I tuned him out. I don’t want to hear about famous people.

“Mags-“ Kellan started and I looked at him. “This is John Patrick Amedori,” He said, pointing to the non-annoying kid. “And this is Frank Connors.” He pointed to the kid still talking. Frank looked at me for a second before smiling big and winking at me. I half smiled before turning back to Rob.

“Gross.” I whispered in his ear. He chuckled before lacing his hand with mine.

“Where’s Jackson?” He asked. I sighed.

“Avoiding Justin.” I said, happily remembering it wasn’t me he was mad at.

“Are you two ok?” He asked, concerned. I nodded, knowing he meant Jackson, not Justin.

“Nearly perfect. He just can’t stand Justin.” I explained, keeping my voice down. Rob chuckled.

“I know the feeling.” He muttered. I smiled, the surrounding conversation coming back into focus. Frank was still dropping names like the atomic bomb, looking at me every so often. Ashley and Nikki were rolling their eyes and Taylor looked ready to strangle him. He held my gaze for a while, probably thinking he had my full attention, but my thoughts were on Jackson and how I wouldn’t see him for two days.

I heard Frank drop a few more big names and Mike groaned loudly. Mollie caught my eye and spun her finger in a circle next to her head: Crazy! I chuckled.

After about fifteen more minutes of him pointlessly dominating any conversation that came up I couldn’t take it anymore. Everyone was thoroughly annoyed. Jackson was just walking over to us when I started to speak, keeping my voice light.

“Do you guys hear that obnoxious sound?” I asked, looking around at everyone. Mollie smirked at me.

“Yeah-what is that?” She asked, shaking her head like she had water in her ear. Everyone else looked really confused. I paused, pretending to think as everyone looked at me, waiting.

“Oh-I know…” I said, looking directly at Frank. “That’s the sound of names dropping.” I finished. Rob and Jackson choked back laughter. Taylor buried his face in his arms and Nikki and Ashley were shaking with silent laughter. Mollie didn’t bother to hide her laughter.

“Burn!” John laughed.

“Want some ice for that burn?” Mollie added.

“You guys are just player-hatin’ and jealous.” Frank huffed. Jackson smirked at me.

“You’re right.” I sighed and everyone looked at me abruptly. “We are jealous-“ I started and I could feel a smirk tugging at the corners of my mouth. “Why can’t we all be deaf when you speak? Gosh-those hearing impaired-so lucky.” I fake sighed. Frank gave me a dirty look as Rob hugged me sideways.

“Don’t look at her like that!” Mollie defended. “Just because you’re so annoying and no one likes you. No one cares who you had lunch with or whose ass you kissed. No one’s going to like you if you stick it in their face. That’s annoying and just plain rude. So get over yourself.” She said loudly. I smiled. “Oh-and Tom Hanks wouldn’t be caught dead having lunch with your ugly ass.” She huffed before grabbing her movies that were rubber banded together and storming out of the cafeteria. Taylor watched her leave before jumping up and following her. I chuckled as Kevin came in with Kristen.

“Alright-you are all free to go.” He said. I stood up with everyone else. I gave everyone but Justin, John and Frank a hug and wished them a Merry Christmas. Jackson was the last one to say goodbye, giving me a tight hug.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” He whispered. I smiled.

“I’ll be here.” I whispered back. He lightly kissed my neck before letting me go. They started to walk out when Taylor jogged back in and gave me a big hug.

“Thanks.” He said before pecking my cheek and leaving with the others. I sat back at the table, waiting for Kevin to be ready. He had to wait for the crew to finish cleaning up. Mollie sat next to me, looking at her new stack of Heath Ledger movies, her favorite actor.

“I love my movies.” She smiled at me as Justin sat behind me.

“Good, I’m glad.” I smiled back.

“I have a question.” Justin started. “How do you know what Tom Hanks would do and wouldn’t do?” He asked Mollie. She sighed like it wasn’t his business, and in all fairness-it wasn’t.

“Because he’s really good friends with my uncle and my dad.” She said icily.

“Oh.” I chuckled. Eventually Kevin was ready to go and we walked out to the cars. I wasn’t going to say anything to Justin about coming over tomorrow, but Kevin did.

“Hey, Justin-why don’t you come over for dinner tomorrow? Maggie’s cooking.” I clenched my fists and got in my car with Mollie. She looked at me as I turned on the heat.

“Sometimes,” She started and I looked at her. “Uncle Kevin’s an idiot.” She sighed. I burst into laughter as I drove back to Kevin’s house.