I Want to Be the Prettiest Wreck You've Ever Seen

Chapter Seventeen: Surprises That Aren't So Good

Mollie helped me make dinner then next day while Kevin cleaned up the living room. Justin came over around eleven thirty and Mollie looked more unhappy about that than I was.

He was only in the kitchen for a few minutes to flirt with me before he ambled into the living room.

“Disgusting.” Mollie muttered. I chuckled.

We finished cooking and Mollie and I ate quicker to get away from Justin. I was washing dishes while Mollie went to the bathroom. I heard someone enter the kitchen and stand behind me. I could feel them staring at me and it was making me uncomfortable. I turned to see Justin staring at me, leaning against the fridge.

“Dinner was good.” He commented, shoving off the fridge and stepping closer to me.

“Thanks.” I mumbled, turning back to the sink. I was hoping if I ignored him, he’d go in the other room.

Really good.” He said, his voice right behind me. I tensed up, not liking his being so close.

“What do you want, Justin?” I sighed. I felt his hands grip my waist tightly.

“You know what I want.” He said smoothing. I gagged slightly and turned, pushing him away.

“And you know my answer.” I said firmly.

“Don’t be like that.” He smirked.

“Justin-we’ve been through this. I wouldn’t sleep with you when we were dating-what makes you think I’d sleep with you when we weren’t?”

“Your ‘friends’ said you’d changed, so I figured, why not?” He smirked again.

“I haven’t changed that much.” I said.

“We’ll see.” I rolled my eyes and turned back to the dishes. He slapped my butt before walking into the living room. I winced and wished he’d fall off a cliff. Mollie appeared next to me a few minutes later.

“He’s so gross. He just hit on me-I’m illegal!” She gagged.

“He hit on me, too.” I said.

Mollie and I finished the clean up with a little help from Kevin, but no help from Justin, like he expected us to do it: yet another reason I like my new friends better. Eventually we kicked him out and Mollie and I played Guitar Hero while Kevin talked to his girlfriend.

“Have you met her?” Mollie asked after a while. I shook my head.

“I talked to her once on the phone to take a message, she seemed nice, but I haven’t met her.” I said.

“He looks happy.” She noted. And he did-he was practically glowing.

“Yeah. That’s all that matters, really.” I said.

“True dat, homes.” She agreed. We were quiet for a few minutes as we played. “I guess he told you why I was here, right?” She said, more as a statement than a question.

“Divorce.” I mumbled and she nodded. “I’m sorry, Mollie.” I said. She chuckled suddenly.

“He’s running a home for lost and stray puppies.” She giggled. I thought about it and realized she was right. I joined in the laughter as he walked through the living room, giving us a strange look, still on the phone.

“You know I’m here to listen, though, if you need it.” I said.

“Same here.” She said pointedly.

“Note made.” I said.

My fingers were finally starting to cramp when I got a text.

“Break?” I requested. She nodded, relieved and went into the kitchen. I pulled out my phone to see Jackson’s name.


I miss you

I smiled and hit reply.


I miss you too. What time are you getting back?

I flexed my sore fingers and got up to get some water.

“Texting Jackson?” Mollie teased. I nodded, smiling big. My phone vibrated.


Not till late =[


I felt my face fall.


Oh-ok.


I couldn’t think of anything else to say. At least he missed me.

“I’m going in with Uncle Kevin tomorrow.” Mollie said.

“To see Taylor?” I guessed. She nodded, blushing.

“I mean…No!” She protested. I laughed.

“Don’t worry-I won’t tell.” I said. She looked at me gratefully. I got another text.


Are you ok?


I smiled. He was worried about me.


Yeah-just frustrated.


“I’m going to bed.” Mollie said, hopping off the counter.

“Night, Molls.” I said.

“Merry Christmas.” I waved.


I’m sorry-if I could get an earlier flight-trust me-
I would


I frowned-I hadn’t meant to make him feel guilty.


Honey-not at you.


I went into the living room and shut off the game, picking everything up. I headed for the stairs to go to my room.


Well, then why, angel?


My heart stopped, just at his simple words.


Justin…I’ll tell you tomorrow.
Text me when you land so I know you made it?


I turned on my laptop and decided to do some more clothes shopping online. I waited for Ambercrombie and Fitch’s page to load.


Of course. Is he bothering you?


I chuckled.


No more than usual


I did some more shopping, buying hoodies, jeans, and tank tops. I went to Hot Topic’s page.


I’m sorry. Ugh-my flight’s boarding.
Sweet dreams, Maggie


I smiled.


Fly safe-don’t forget to text!


I bought some more band tees, nail polish and cons-you can never have too many converse.


Of course not. Miss you

Miss you, too, Jackson.


He didn’t answer so I assumed he had gotten on his flight. I shut everything off and climbed into bed.

About three hours later I got a text saying that he, Ash, Kellan and Rob were home and he’d see me tomorrow. I responded with a simple letter in my grogginess: K.

The next morning was a Friday, not that Fridays meant two days off around here, but still-there’s just something about Fridays.

The house was quiet as I climbed into the shower. I did everything I had to do and got out, wrapping the large towel tight around my body. I headed for my room to get dressed but stopped short in my doorway upon seeing Justin lounging shirtless on my bed. Anger flared through me.

“What the hell are you doing here?” I yelled, clutching my towel tighter.

“Waiting for you.” He chuckled, looking me over appreciatively. He got up off my bed and moved closer.

“Get out.” I said firmly. He was now standing in front of me.

“You don’t mean that.” He cooed. I moved out of his way and gestured down the stairs to the front door.

“Now.” I hissed. He frowned but swiftly bent and kissed my mouth before I could stop him. He left and I quickly got dressed, fuming. I scrubbed my mouth with my tooth brush and gargled with mouth rinse for as long as I could stand the burning liquid.

I went downstairs and he was sitting on the couch, now with a shirt on.

“Are you ready to go, finally?” He asked. I clenched my fists but otherwise ignored him. He followed me out to my car and gave a low whistle.

“This is too much car for you, Pegs.” He said. “I should drive.” He held his hand out for the keys. I just stared at him for a second.

“Fuck off.” I said defensively and headed for the driver’s side. He caught me around my waist and wrestled the keys out of my tight fist.

“I’m driving.” He said triumphantly. I wanted to scream every swear word I knew at him. I wanted to punch him as hard as I could and ship him to Zimbabwe in a tiny box with no air holes.

“Get in, Pegs.” He said, frustrated.

“I’ll walk.” I said, not bothering to be nice. He just shrugged and got in my car. He peeled out of the garage at top speed and I stamped my foot angrily. I started the fifteen minute walk through the fresh snow to the set. I pulled out my phone and called Kellan, getting his voice mail.

“Listen, Kellan-if you wanted to hit Justin into next week-I wouldn’t complain.” I said, anger filling my voice. I hung up and walked in silence, my anger growing with each step.

I reached the set and I was frozen through. I stomped through the gate and saw Taylor walking across the lot alone.

“Hey, Maggie.” He called, jogging over to me. I just looked at him and continued to the door. “What’s the matter?” He asked worriedly. I shook my head. I wasn’t going to say anything, in case I opened my mouth and started screaming at Taylor unfairly. “Maggie?” He said quietly as I walked inside. I shivered at the sudden warmth and Taylor hugged me.

“Did you walk here?” He asked. I nodded as he rubbed my arms to warm them. “Your car’s outside.” He said, confused.

“Justin.” I said simply, hiding my cold face into his warm chest.

“That explains the message on Kellan’s cell.” He sighed.

“Come to the library with me?” I requested sweetly. “Unless Mollie’s waiting for you.” I amended.

“No-she’s hanging out with Ashley and Anna.” He said, leading me to the library. The door was closed when we got there and I frowned. I twisted the handle and went to push it open, walking into the thick wood instead of opening it. My eyes watered and my nose burned.

“What was that?” Taylor choked.

“The door didn’t open.” I said dumbly, holding my nose.

“I see that.” He chuckled and moved me to the side. He did the same thing I did. “It’s locked.” He confirmed.

“But…it’s never locked.” I stuttered. I twisted the knob repeatedly, panicking as it wouldn’t open. I stared wide-eyed as he led me to the cafeteria. He sat me down next to Kellan who looked at me.

“Why’s her face like that?” I heard him ask as he poked my still frozen cheek.

“The library’s locked.” Taylor informed them.

“But it’s never locked.” Jackson said in much the same way I had. Then it clicked for reasons I couldn’t imagine. Justin had locked it, or had it locked. He didn’t want me somewhere he wasn’t allowed to go. I shivered violently and Kellan crushed me to his side. I blinked, focusing on my surroundings and I sighed.

“Your face it all red.” Rob commented.

“She walked today.” Taylor said for me.

“Is something wrong with the car?” Cam asked.

“It had asshole syndrome.” I muttered, my anger flaring even higher than before.

“What?” Nikki asked, confused. I explained to them what happened last night and this morning after my shower and the scene in the garage. Kellan’s grip on me was bone crushing by the time I was done.

“I can’t breathe.” I told him.

“If I let you go-I’ll kill him.” He said through his teeth.

“I’m ok with that.” I said. He just chuckled. Jackson was watching me carefully so I smiled at him.

We hung out there for a little while; everyone was talking about Peter’s New Year’s Eve party. I was still nervous about that. I can’t wear heels-I’d break my neck. I had remained silent while everyone else had made their date plans. Kellan was taking Nikki. Ash was going with Mike. Kristen was going with Cam and Jackson was going with Anna.

“You’re being quiet.” Kellan commented. I looked at him and sighed.

“I’m going to break my neck.” I said. He chuckled.

“Don’t worry, babe-Rob won’t let you.” I looked at him, surprised.

“What?”

“Oh-he’s taking you.” He said obviously. “Didn’t you know that?” I shook my head. “Oh-well, Kevin asked him to take you when this whole event came up.” He explained. “Which brings me to another point.” He said.

“Alright.” I said warily.

“Why do you like Rob better?” He pouted. I frowned and hugged him tight.

“I don’t. It’s just easier to talk to Rob without having to worry about sounding perverted.” I said and he flashed a smile. “Besides-you don’t wanna hear about my mushy problems. I think of you differently, more like the flirty best friend who brightens the room with his infectious smile. Who flirts with me like crazy.” I said and he laughed.

“I guess that works.”

“Trust me-I love you all the same. Except for Justin. Justin can fall off a cliff.” I said. He grinned and kissed the side of my head. I listened to the excited chatter a little bit longer before I became uncomfortably aware of somebody staring at me from behind. I got the same feeling I had last night in the kitchen with Justin. I knew it was him. I thunked my head onto the table and prayed he’d go away.