I Want to Be the Prettiest Wreck You've Ever Seen

Chapter Eighteen: Gore and Dresses-Oh Joy!

“What is it?” Kellan asked and I noticed the talking had stopped.

“Peggy-come on-let’s go.” Justin called across the large cafeteria.

“That.” I muttered in response to Kellan. I heard Justin coming closer and Kellan’s grip tightened on me. I knew this was only partly for my safety-but more for Justin’s.

“Pegs, come on.” He said. I raised my head and turned to him, still mad.

“And just exactly where is it I’m supposed to be going?” I asked.

“That new horror movie.” He said obviously. I felt my stomach lurch at the thought.

“I haven’t heard anything about this.” I said rudely.

“Well, it’s starting in an hour-let’s go.”

“No thanks.” I said coldly before putting my head back on the table.

“Pegs, you love scary movies.” He said.

“I don’t want to. Feel free to go by yourself.” And get lost. “Oh-and I want my keys back.” I said.

“When did you turn into such a prude bitch?” He asked sarcastically, digging my keys out of his pocket. I realized that Kellan’s arms were no longer around me and he was on his feet.

“Besides-I’m here today.” I said, hoping to calm Kellan down. I didn’t want him to get into trouble. He handed my keys to me behind his back, not looking away from Justin.

“What are you doing tomorrow?” He demanded, but it sounded more like: ‘you’re going with me-I don’t care what you say.’ I raised my head and Ash caught my eye before answering for me.

“She’s going dress shopping with us.” She answered confidently. I frowned, not exactly an upgrade, but it was better than being stuck with Justin in a dark theater for two hours where he would most definitely try something.

“Oh.”

“You’re more than welcome to come with us and see your movie while we shop.” She continued, probably expecting him to say no thanks.

“Yeah-ok.” He agreed.

“Then I’m coming, too.” Kellan spoke up.

“Me, too.” Rob added. I smiled thankfully. Mollie turned and looked at Justin accusingly.

“Why did you lock the library?” She asked. We all looked at him expectantly.

“I have no idea what you mean.” He said, smirking. I scoffed and stood up, suddenly needing to be far away from Justin. I caught Jackson’s eye before I walked out into the hallway.

“Jackson-why don’t you go see what’s wrong.” Ash suggested. I smiled to myself as I slowed my pace. He caught up to me and pulled me into a different hallway and pulled me to his firm torso tightly. We stood like that for a few minutes before I finally spoke.

“You’re not coming with us tomorrow, are you?” I guess. He shook his head sadly, his lips brushing against my neck.

“Not if he’s going to be there.” He said softly.

“Can I ask what it is about him that makes you this mad?” I whispered. He pulled back to look at me, gently touching my cheek.

“One: he calls you Peggy, which annoys you so it annoys me. Two: he notices nothing about you. He has no clue when you’re mad or he just doesn’t care and thatmakes me mad. Three: he looks at you like you’re something to be won, or you’re a piece of property.” I looked at him.

“I’m not something to be won?” I asked, only half teasing.

“I’ll give you this-you’re definitely the prize-but who you give your heart to is up to you. He acts like winning your affection is a game.” He paused, taking a deep breath. “Four: he talks about you like you’re an object-not a person-let alone the most amazing person I’ve ever met.” I felt my face blush. “Five-he’s disgusting and after what he pulled today-he should be counting his blessings that you’re still talking to him and haven’t had him arrested for breaking and entering.” I clenched my fists.

“He never would have done that in my parent’s house.” I grumbled. He chuckled and took my hands in his. I relaxed my fingers and intertwined them with him.

“Oh-and six: he automatically assumes you’re going to fall in love with him.” He said quietly as if this upset him. I shook my head.

“Wrong.” I said.

“Wrong?” He repeated.

“Wrong.” I said again. “He automatically assumes I’m going to sleep with him. He doesn’t care if I love him-he never has. I wouldn’t sleep with him the first time around and that’s why he dumped me.” I explained. He sighed.

“You’re just making me hate him more.” He said and I smiled.

“Like I told Kellan: I’m ok with that. It just means you’re not like him.” I said. He smiled.

“That’s a plus.” He grinned and I chuckled.

“A big one.” I sighed. “I’ll miss you tomorrow.” I said.

“I’ll miss you, too. Do I get to see the dress you get?” He asked brightly. I shook my head.

“Nope-only those who come shopping can. You have to wait.” I said. His jaw dropped.

“That’s not fair.” He protested. I shrugged carelessly.

“That’s what you get.” I teased. He pretended to pout.

“Does Justin get to see it?” He grumbled.

“God-I hope not.” I replied, rolling my eyes. He chuckled and led me to the music room.

“I want to play something for you.” He said, sitting me on the piano bench. He picked up the guitar and sat across from me and held my gaze for a long second before dropping his eyes to the guitar he held. He didn’t look up again as he started to play.


Time to lay claim to the evidence
Finger prints sold me out
But our footsteps washed away from the docks downtown
It’s been getting late for days
And I think myself deserving of a little time off
We can kick it here for hours
And just mouth off about the world
And how we know it’s going straight to hell


I smiled as I realized what song he was playing-Six Feet Under The Stars by the All Time Low. This was one of my favorite songs.


Pass me another bottle, honey
The Jager’s (yager) so sweet
But if it keeps you around then I’m down

Meet me on Thames Street
I’ll take you out though I’m hardly worth your time
In the cold you look so fierce, but I’m warm enough
Because the tension’s like a fire
We’ll hit South Broadway in a matter of minutes
And like a bad movie, I’ll drop a line
Fall in the grave I’ve been digging myself
But there’s room for two
Six feet under the stars

I should have known better than to call you out
If not for you, I know I’d tear this place to the ground
I’m gonna roll the dice before you sober up and get gone

Thames Street
I’ll take you out though I’m hardly worth your time
In the cold you look so fierce, but I’m warm enough
Because the tension’s like a fire
We’ll hit South Broadway in a matter of minutes
And like a bad movie I’ll drop a line
Fall in the grave I’ve been digging myself
But there’s room for two
Six feet under the stars


He stopped playing and I looked behind me to see Justin. I rolled my eyes and got up to shut the door. He grabbed my arm before I could and started to pull me out of the room. It took my brain a split second to catch up.

“Justin! Let go!” I protested, pulling back against his painful grip.

“I’m saving you from yourself, Pegs.” He said. I looked back to see Jackson jogging after us, but we were already about twenty feet in front of him and gaining distance. Justin pushed open a door and dragging me outside.

“Justin-you’re hurting me! Let go.” I said, tears in my eyes. I tripped and stumbled from the force and speed he was dragging me.

“God, Peggy-why can’t you walk like a human?” He said, annoyed, giving my arm a hard yank. We were now outside the chain link fence and heading towards the cars before the gate guard was out of his heated hut.

“Justin! Let go!” I cried out. I could feel my arm was going to bruise with the grip he had on it. He pushed me roughly to the passenger side of my car and I noticed a long silver scratch on top of a dent in my car door and all of my anger was intensified times ten. Everything he had done to me, everything he had put me through-all of it now flooded into my mind, making it hard to see. I was vaguely aware of Jackson, the security guard and Kellan just about to reach us. I glared at Justin.

“You scratched my car.” I said. He looked at me and laughed.

“Give me the keys, Peg.” He said, amused. I marched over to him and stomped as hard as I could on his foot.

“You scratched my car!” I shouted. “You asshole!” I yelled. I could feel the muscles in my arms tightening with anger and frustration. So I did the only thing I could, knowing I would feel much better. I pulled my arm back like a tight spring and it shot forward, hitting him dead center of his face.

“Jesus, Peggy.” He yelled. I aimed to punch him again even though my hand was throbbing. Jackson gently took my wrists and hugged me to him from behind. The security guard escorted Justin off the lot and Kellan looked at me proudly.

“Where’d he scratch your car?” He asked. I pointed to the passenger side, Jackson’s arm following mine as he was still holding my wrists. Kellan went to look as Jackson turned me to look at him. He brushed my tears away carefully and my eyes fluttered shut at his touch. I threw my arms around him and buried my face in his neck.

“Damn-what’d he hit?” Kellan mumbled.

“Let’s go get you some ice.” Jackson whispered. I nodded and started to walk. Kellan picked me up and slung me over his shoulder and continued towards the school. I didn’t bother to complain. I knew it wouldn’t do any good and I wasn’t minding, not so sure I could’ve done it on my own. I was brought to the cafeteria and Kellan set me carefully in a chair. Jackson went to the large kitchen to get some ice for my hand.

“What happened?” Ashley asked worriedly as I wiped away more tears.

“She punched Justin.” Kellan told them. I thunked my head on the table again.

“I should’ve punched him left handed.” I muttered. They all laughed and I felt someone sit next to me. I put my throbbing hand on the table and the small bag of ice was placed on top. I winced but didn’t pull away. Jackson’s arm was around my back comfortably and his cheek was resting against my shoulder. Mollie let out a loud, annoyed sigh.

“You get to hit him but I don’t?” I chuckled in spite of myself.

“Sorry, Molls.” I said. She let out a dramatic sigh.

“It’s ok.”

The next day they only worked a half day because Kevin had a doctor’s appointment so Mollie and I stayed home, waiting for the time when we would leave.

“Do you think we could push Justin out of the car when we reach top speed?” She asked. I chuckled.

“If he’s still going.” I amended. Maybe he’d changed his mind after I punched him yesterday. Maybe he’d taken his hint. Doubt it.

“You really think that punching him would stop him?” She asked skeptically.

“No.” I laughed.

“It’s too bad Jackson can’t come.” She commented.

“Won’t.” I corrected.

“What?” She asked, looking over at me.

“He won’t come because of Justin.” I explained. “He can’t stand being around him with the way Justin treats me.” I said.

“Ugh-way to ruin everything.” She muttered. “Touch hole.” She added. I laughed.

A few minutes later there was a knock on the door and before I could answer it, Justin let himself in. He smirked at me as I settled back into my chair and ignored him. Although-I did take a slight moment to admire my handiwork. His nose was broken and both of his eyes were black. Mollie caught my eye and choked back laughter.

He hadn’t even been here five minutes before he was complaining.

“Ugh-can’t we just leave?” He groaned. I barely looked at him.

“Be my guest. See you later-don’t crash.” I said, flipping through channels. Mollie got up to turn on guitar hero.

“Peggy!” He whined. Mollie grabbed a pillow and threw a well aimed shot, hitting him in the face. He howled in pain as he fell over backwards, clutching his face. I smiled at Mollie.

“Good shot.” He groaned and pulled out a pair of sport sun glasses from his pocket, putting them carefully on his face. Mollie scoffed.

“Like that’ll stop it from hurting when I throw another pillow at you.” She laughed. The door bell rang and I jumped up to answer it. I smiled gratefully when I saw Ashley, Nikki, Kristen, Rob and Kellan. I stepped back to let them in and I heard Mollie shut off the game that we hadn’t even started.

“Hey, Mollie.” They greeted. She waved and she and I got our converse on. Rob helped me balance and they all blatantly ignored Justin.

We walked out the door and Mollie stopped when she saw the jeep, Emmett’s jeep. I looked at Kellan and he shrugged casually.

“I asked. Kevin.” He explained. I chuckled, taking Rob’s hand as we all walked towards the jeep. Kellan helped Mollie into the back seat, using his hand as a step for her. Rob did the same for me and he slid in on my right. Ashley slid in next to him and I had Mollie on my left. Nikki and Kristen were in the front seat and I could hear Justin outside demanding to drive. I heard Kellan’s flat response and I could tell he was struggling to keep his voice calm.

“You don’t know the way. Get in the back and shut up.” He said, his jaw clenched.

“There’s no room.” Justin whined.

“Look-there’s plenty of room.” Kellan said and I could hear the smirk in his voice and he unlatched the tail gate and patted the jeep’s ‘truck bed’. He walked around to the driver’s side, laughing to himself. Justin let out a disgusted groan before hopping into the space. Kellan climbed in and looked at me apologetically and I grinned in encouragement.

“I’m kinda surprised and disappointed you didn’t hit him.” I admitted. He grinned at me as we started driving.

“I could do it now.” He offered.

“Maybe later.” I said, chuckling. The ride wasn’t unpleasant now that Justin was outside the car.

Kellan turned on the radio and Just Lose It by Eminem was playing.

“Oh-I like this song. Turn it up, please?” I requested. Everyone looked at me strangely except for Mollie and I shrank into my seat.

“What?” I mumbled.

“You and your music.” Kellan muttered, pressing up the volume. I chuckled as I realized what he meant. I was always listening to a different kind of music, either pop, rock, R&B, rap or country, but it was always something different. I liked a lot of different music.

It took half an hour to get there. We dropped Justin off in front of the theater and Kellan headed for the dress shop near by. The closest parking spot was around the block. We all climbed out and Rob and Kellan went to look around the town, telling us they’d meet us at the dress shop and started looking through the fancy dresses. They each got two or three to try on while I looked around aimlessly, not exactly looking. Ashley and Nikki came over to look at me accusatorily.

“And what have you found?” Ashley asked, eying my empty hands.

“Um…” I paused. She sighed and Nikki led me over to a rack of strapless dresses. I shook my head.

“My chest is so not big enough.” I said. Ashley snorted with laughter as she flipped through the dresses expertly. She picked out a deep, bright red, floor length dress and held it up against me.

“That goes perfect with your skin.” Nikki commented. I felt my cheeks flush at the simple comment.

“Perfect.” Ash agreed. “Shoe time.” She said, slinging the dress over her other ones and they both pulled me to the large shoe section. I groaned but it was ignored. Nikki looked at me and I sighed, knowing what she was waiting for.

“Size five.” I said my shoe size. Kristen and Mollie joined us, already carrying their stuff.

“Found them.” Nikki said, holding up a box of strappy red high heels with a satin ribbon to go around the ankles. I stared at her.

“You’re trying to kill me.” I said, finally coming to the conclusion. That must be it. Why else would she get me six inch heels? Ashley just laughed and pushed me towards the dressing room. We each shut our doors and I stripped out of my tee shirt and jeans. I pulled the dress up and sighed. It fit perfectly-or it would once I zipped up the back. I sat on the hard bench bolted to the wall to put on the shoes. I actually liked the way they looked against my pale complexion. I stood up and held the dress to my chest so it wouldn’t fall as I looked in the mirror. I looked like snow white. My hair was ebony black against my pale white skin and the dress was a bright holly berry red. I actually looked good and I was happy with what I saw staring back at me.

“Mags?” Ash called from her dressing room next to mine.

“Yeah?” I replied, attempting to move the zipper that was at the base of my back.

“You ok? I don’t hear any shrieks of horror.” She joked and I heard the others laugh.

“I’m good. I can’t get my zipper, though.” I said.

“Ok, hold on.” She said. There was a knock from somewhere towards the dressing room entrance.

“Men on deck, ladies.” I heard Kellan say in an official voice. “All three of us.” He sighed. We can’t have been shopping for two hours already. I frowned.

“Movie over already?” I hinted.

“It was lame-so I left.” Justin answered. I sighed and didn’t say anything else.

“Have you all found something?” Rob asked.

“Yeah.” Nikki said. “Maggie’s was the easiest to find.” She laughed.

“Bet she looks hot.” I heard Kellan say. I rolled my eyes. Typical Kellan. The others all stepped out into the main hallway, showing off what they decided on.

“You all look great.” I heard Rob say. I smiled.

“Maggie-you can come out now.” Kellan called.

“Nope.” I said, opening the door slightly for Ashley. “Ash-“ I started to remind her.

“Oh, right.” She said and entered my dressing room. She quickly slid my zipper up and stepped out. I looked at my reflection once more. The dress hugged every curve perfectly from my chest to the bottom of my butt where it flowed out, trailing slightly in the back.

“Maggie!” Kellan said. I chuckled as I stepped out.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry this took so long to everyone who's reading=] hope you enjoy