I Want to Be the Prettiest Wreck You've Ever Seen

Chapter Twenty: You Could Make Living In A Broom Closet Fun

The next day I text Ashley before I left and asked if Jackson was on set. She text back that he was so I rushed to get ready. I still wasn’t sure of how I was going to make him listen-but I had to try. I sped to the lot and zipped into a parking space. I was grateful that it was the usual bouncer. I skipped inside and went straight to the library. I looked inside, only half hoping I would find him there. I wasn’t surprised when I found the room empty. He only came here when he was looking for me-and currently-he was mad at me. I blew out a resigned sigh and started walking around hoping to find him somewhere. He wasn’t in the gym, the music room or the fitness center. I was about to turn down a hallway when I heard Justin’s voice and I stopped dead.

“Hey, Jack.” Justin called and I didn’t like the way he talked to Jackson.

“What?” Jackson snapped. I flinched but a swarm of butterflies took off at the sound of his voice.

“Listen-I know you’ve got this little crush on my Peggy-but I’m warning you-back off.” Justin said, sounding incredibly cocky. I wondered how I had never seen that part of him before. Jackson let out a loud scoff.

“Listen-I know you think you’re hot shit-but ‘your Peggy’” He sneered the last two words. “Can’t stand you and wishes you would go jump off a cliff.” Jackson said confidently. Justin just laughed.

“That’s what she’d like you to think. But when we got her dress-she begged me to take her back. So I’m telling you again-back off. Stay away from her.” Justin said fiercely.

“Whatever.” Jackson sighed. I frowned that he was giving up so easily.

“Oh and by the way-she looks hot in that dress of hers.” Justin said and I could just picture him winking at Jackson. I was about to go say something, but my phone rang in my pocket. I quietly jogged down back the way I came. I flipped open my phone and put it up to my ear.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Hey, you at the school, babe?” I heard Ashley’s sweet voice.

“Yes.” I grumbled, not really meaning to take out my frustration on her. It wasn’t her fault.

“What’s the matter?” She asked cautiously.

“Peggy!” I heard Justin say right behind me. I jumped.

“Oh.” Ash said. “Later, then.” She said and quickly hung up. I shoved my phone in my pocket and whirled around to face Justin. He was grinning as he bent to kiss me. It wasn’t going to be the kiss of a boyfriend who loved his girlfriend, like I imagined a kiss with Jackson would be, this would be a triumphant kiss-the game winning kiss. His lips were almost on mine and I was furious. I clenched my fist and thrust it as hard as I could into his stomach. He let out a grunt and doubled over.

“How. Dare. You.” I said angrily. “I do not belongto you. You do not own me. And so help me God if you ever talk to Jackson like that again-you won’t be able to walk upright for three months.” I said loudly. Maybe if I talked loud enough-he’d get it through his thick head and understand that I don’t want him here. I pushed him away from me and walked away to find Jackson. I wound through some more hallways before I saw him exiting a random class room. He looked up and saw me, a pained look on his face. I rushed over to him, throwing my arms tightly around his neck.

“Maggie.” He sighed.

“Jackson-please-just listen.” I started, stepping back from him to look in his eyes. He looked around, covering my mouth and quickly yanked me down the hallway, pushing me into the same janitor’s closet as before.

“Peggy!” I heard Justin call just before with sharp relief that his hand was still holding onto mine. He spun me around and pressed me to the door. My breath was coming in short, shallow gasps as he pressed his body firmly to mine.

“You are unbelievable.” He hissed.

“What?” I gasped. I was having a hard time breathing with him this close.

“You kiss him and then you text me like everything’s ok.” He groaned, pushing away from me. “Why can’t you just leave me alone and go be happy with Justin?” He spat the name and I flinched, but reached for his hand. He jerked it away angrily.

“Because I hate Justin, and that kiss you’re talking about-he attacked me! And I don’t want Justin-I want you. You were one hundred percent right when you told him I wanted him to jump off a cliff and I can’t stand him. I hate that he thinks he owns me. I hate that he called me Peggy and Pegs and Peg. I don’t belong on a wall and you don’t hang coats on me, unless you’re Kellan. I hate, hate, hate the way he talks to you and I can’t stand that he told you to stay away from me. That’s the very last thing I want.” I ranted, pacing in the cramped space. Suddenly I was pressed against the door again, his hands cupping my face and his warm, soft lips were pressed firmly but gently to my own as he kissed me. His lips molded to mine and I slid my arms around his waist and pulled him closer to me as I kissed him back forcefully. His tongue glided over my lower lip, begging for entrance. I opened my mouth as his lips became more eager and his tongue touched mine fervently. My head was spinning from lack of oxygen-he always made me forget to breathe. He broke his mouth away from mine and I took in a sharp breath as his hands gripped my waist forming me to the curve of his body. His mouth trailed to my jaw line and he kissed until he reached the hollow just below my jaw. I couldn’t stop the gasp that escaped and my heart pounded and reflexively I tilted my head away so he would kiss more. I gasped again as his tongue traced small circles in that spot and he moved up and down the side of my neck, planting tiny kisses and along my collar bone. My fingers laced through his hair as he moved his soft lips to the front of my throat and back the side. Flashes of heat seared through me as he kept kissing. I shivered in pleasure and he abruptly stopped and stepped back. I groaned and bumped my head back against the wooden door.

“You suck.” I muttered, dropping my hands and taking deep, stabling breaths. I was struggling to get my heart rate under control and I was positive he could hear it-it was so loud.

“But-you…” He started and I pulled him closer to me and gently touched his face.

“That was a goodreaction.” I whispered, pulling his face to mine. He kissed my lips again but stopped to hug me tightly instead. I rested my head against his muscular chest and chuckled.

“What’s so funny, angel?” He asked quietly and my heart spiked again and he rubbed my back soothingly.

“This is the same broom closet we were in last time.” I said.

“True. But last time we didn’t kiss like that-so, we’re stepping up.” I could feel him smirk. “Maybe we should stay here.”

“Mmm.” I hummed. “You could make living in a broom closet fun.” He chuckled and I angled my face up to kiss his neck. He shuddered and stepped away. I sighed, but didn’t push it.

“Sorry.” He mumbled sheepishly.

“Do you not like when I do that?” I asked, puzzled as I stepped back into his arms. I felt him shake his head.

“On the contrary. I like it too much.” I smirked to myself and tilted my head to kiss his neck again. He gasped but didn’t pull away this time. I didn’t pause as I kissed more, letting my tongue trail a small circle before I lightly bit his neck. He huffed and pushed me against the door firmly and his mouth eagerly found mine.

“Oh-“ I gasped as his fingers braided into my hair, securing my face to his. My arms wove around his waist and suddenly there was a loud pounding on the door from the other side. We jumped and he let me go.

“Maggie, Jackson-We know you’re in there.” Kellan laughed. I sighed and made sure all my clothes were straightened out before Jackson pulled open the door to glare at Kellan.

“You guys should get a light in there.” I heard Cam say and Kellan laughed.

“That takes all the fun out of being in the closet.” I roughly pushed the door shut and smiled happily when I felt it hit Kellan. “Ow!” He whined.

“Ahem.” Cam said pointedly. There was a pause and then Jackson was pushed back into the room and I could tell that the point of the force had been from the center of his broad chest. Kellan reached around the door, searching blindly for me so I stuck my hand in his automatically, confused as to what was going on. He pulled me out into the bright hallway and slammed the door shut behind me. I blinked furiously as he led me away, pinned to his side.

“But-what about-“ I started to protest but Justin came around the corner and smirked when he saw us. I hated that smirk. I wanted to smash it until it broke like glass.

“Oh good-you guys found her for me.” He said, confidently reaching for me. I clung to Kellan as he just led me past Justin. “Hey!” He protested but they ignored him. They led me to the cafeteria and Cam went to sit with the others. Kellan led me over to the drink station where everyone could get coffee or hot chocolate or something warm to drink. He pulled out one of the taller cups and handed it to me to fill.

“Kellan, what’s going on?” I sighed. He chuckled as he shrugged out of his large sweatshirt and held it out for me to take.

“You’re going to get cold.” He said. My eyebrows pulled together in confusion.

“What?” I asked as I mixed the hot chocolate and vanilla cappuccino together and added half and half to cool it down.

“Just trust me.” He said, taking the cup and replacing it with his warm sweatshirt. I sighed and obediently pulled on the toasty warm sweatshirt. He put a lid on the cup and went to put it back in my hands. I grabbed a straw, stuck it in the lid and took the Styrofoam cup back from him. He chuckled and led me to the back door of the cafeteria that led directly outside. He pushed me out the door and pulled it shut behind me. I turned to glare at him through the think glass and he pointed to behind me. I turned and there was Jackson. I jumped but leaned into his warm chest. He pulled me to the stone wall and sat on the snow in front of it. I frowned at him and he pulled me into his lap, holding me so that my back was against his chest.

“This is kinda fun.” He said cheerfully, rubbing his thumbs across the backs of my hand.

“Mmm-maybe you better be more specific.” I said distractedly.

“Hiding…from Justin, I mean.” I scoffed.

“It’d be more fun if he left.” I said. I felt his mouth press against my shoulder.

“That’s true-but being in that closet with you is always fun.” I blushed, remembering our kiss.

“That’s a good point.” I agreed, snuggling deeper into his arms.

“Mmm.” He hummed into my neck.

“Maybe we should go back there.” He said innocently. I sighed.

“Very tempting.” I said but then I felt my stomach growl quietly with hunger. I rubbed my stomach and he peered over my shoulder to watch me.

“What are you doing?” He asked, laughing.

“Well-I may be a tiny bit hungry.” I admitted, sipping my hot chocolate. He pushed me to my feet and jumped up behind me.

“Let’s get you something to eat, then.” He said and led me towards the cars.

“But-you-I-“ I started to protest but he quickly silenced me with a kiss and I was instantly complacent. “Ok.” I said, happy as long as he kept kissing me.

“Really? Just like that?” He asked as we reached my car. I nodded. “Why?” He asked and I motioned him closer and he complied. I kissed him lightly and when I pulled away-his eyes remained closed.

“That’s why.” I said, heading for the driver’s side.

“Maggie?” He called pleasantly.

“Yeah?” I replied. He hopped over to stand in front of me.

“Would I be allowed to drive?” He asked, batting his long eyelashes at me. I pulled my keys out of my pocket and held them up in front of my face to him to take. He grinned and my heart skipped. He pecked my lips and led me over to the passenger side, holding open my door for me. I slid in and he jogged over to the driver’s side and climbed in as well. He stuck the key in the ignition and I raised a hand to stop him.

“If you scratch it-“ I started. He grinned at me.

“I won’t.” He promised. He drove us to a local diner, not far from our houses. We walked inside hand in hand and sat at one of the tables in front of one of the windows. We had to wait a few minutes before the waitress came over, smiling brightly.

“Hi, my name’s Amber. Can I get you guys something to drink?” She asked, keeping her eyes on Jackson. I chuckled quietly. I can’t say that I blame her. Jackson was incredibly gorgeous. Jackson looked at me expectantly.

“Coffee.” I said politely. He smiled at me.

“Two coffees.” He told the girl. She nodded, scribbling it on her pad.

“Creamers?” She asked.

“Yes, please.” Jackson answered. I knew they were for me because he liked his coffee black. She smiled at Jackson and walked back to the kitchen. He waited until she was gone before taking my hand again.

“What’s so funny, angel?” He asked.

“Nothing.” I lied, watching our hands.

“So why’d you laugh?” He pressed.

“I just thought it was amusing that she was mentally undressing you in her mind.” I admitted. He blinked at me.

“What?” He asked.

“Oh, come on, Jackson. If I wasn’t here, she would’ve asked you flat out to go out with her, or more.” I said, laughing quietly. She came back with our coffees and I noticed her eying our hands lying together on the table. She took our orders before heading back to the kitchen once more.

“You really think so?” He teased. I pretended to be offensively shocked. “Just kidding.” He smiled. I shrugged.

“It’s not like I own you-you’re free to do what you want.” I said, as painful as it is to admit. He gave me a look, but I couldn’t figure out what he meant by it. He just shook his head and changed the subject.

“So-don’t take offense to this, but why were you even friends with Justin in the first place?” He asked as I started to make my coffee.

“He wasn’t always like that.” I said, maybe a bit too defensively. “He used to be nice. He used to treat me like a person.” I said, thinking back to how things used to be before we broke up. “I wish I could show you the difference.” I chuckled half heartedly. He let out a groan.

“I don’t.” He said, rolling his eyes. I frowned, not expecting his reaction.

“Jackson-“ I started, but his glare silenced me.

“I don’t want to see anymore of him than I have to. He is a douchebag and I can’t believe that you would even want anything to do with him after what he’s done to you and what he’s said about you.” He grumbled angrily.

“But I-“ I started again. He just shook his head, tossed my keys on the table and stood up, walking to the counter. I dropped my head onto the table.

“Sweetie-can I have mine to go?” I heard him ask sweetly. “And the check.” I squeezed my eyes shut. This can not be happening.

“Of course-anything else I can get you?” She asked and I could hear the double entendre in her words.

“That’s it.” Jackson said. “For now.”