Status: Active?

Halloween Head

3

I ran from the classroom the second I got the chance and pulled out my phone to call my dad. Once I reached my locker I shuffled the combination quickly and opened it pressing the phone to my ear. I leaned against the door and swung a little until my phone was removed from my hand and I head the end button being hit. I traced my eyes up to the face of the corporate. Garrett.

“I’m sorry.” I looked up at him and continued to keep the straight face I was forcing on my face. “I should have told you about Rachel. We’re an off and on thing. When I kissed you, we were off.” He ran his fingers though his dark blonde hair and sighed. “Can we still be biffles?” He asked in a begging tone.

I forced a smile and nodded. “As long as you give me back my phone.” He flashed me a wide smile and walked down the hall towards our next class.

I found Garrett sitting at lunch with Rachel, so I decided to skip their table and sit with Pat, Kenny, and John. I took a seat next to John who punched my arm and stole a bite of a cookie from my lunch. I glanced to Rachel’s table, none of the girls looked familiar except for Rachel. Garret slung his arm around her and kissed her cheek then mouth.

“Ambey!” Pat screamed at the top of his lungs causing the whole cafeteria to turn and look. “You spaced.” He shrugged. “Oh! And I heard about your performance today.”

“From who?” I asked, confused.

“Oh Ambey, it’s all over the school. Everyone in my physics class was like she was totally shitting us, she didn’t write that, here dads not Ryan Adams.” I giggled as Pat mustered up a manly voice “Don’t worry, I set them straight.” He punched his fist into the palm of his hand before going back to his fruit cup.

“Yep, I heard about it too.” Kenny started. “You should play some for us!” He smiled to John before pulling a guitar out from under the table.

“Woah-oh, where’d you get that!?” I asked in surprise. Though he simply shrugged and grinned as John and Pat nodded. “Where’s Jared?” I asked just now realizing his absence.

“Library.” John said quickly. “New York! New York! New York!” He began chanting. I sighed knowing that it wouldn’t end unless I played. I grabbed the guitar and started in on the song. Soon enough The whole table had joined in on the song.

“Damn that was good.” Kenny smiled looking around the cafeteria.

I picked up my things and mumbled thanks before tossing it in the trashcan, just as the bell rang. I made my way from the large room and out into the hall only to be punched on the shoulder.

“Why the fuck must everyone hit me!?” I asked looking up at Garret who had Rachel on his arm.

“Because you sing so well.” He said smiling. “That was quiet a show.” He grinned again kissing Rachel goodbye and grabbing my hand.

“You wanna hang out after school?” I nodded and shrugged my bag higher on my shoulder.

“Swimming?” I asked looking over to him as we entered Math. He nodded smiling. “Just meet me by my car.” I said taking my seat.

I walked slowly to my car after school. Garrett didn’t like driving to much, I think he was just self conscious of his little yellow car, but either way, I usually gave him a ride home. As I approached my car Garrett was standing next to the drivers side with a sad smile on his face as he approached.

“Hey Amberlyn.” He nodded causing me to nod back. “I um, I can’t hang out today.”

“Oh, why not?” I asked slumping down pathetically.

He scratched the back of the neck and squinted his eyes. “I’m going to Rachel’s” I popped my hip out and crossed my arms over my chest.

“Was this planned before or after you said you would hang out with me?” I asked a slight bite to my voice. He looked down and shoved his hands in his pocket for an answer. I nodded and moved past him. To the door of my car and got in.

“Hey honey, how was school?” my dad asked as I slammed the front door.

“Fucking great.” I mumbled sitting next to him on the couch.

“That’s convincing.” My dad smirked taking a sip of wine from his glass. I yanked it from his hands and drank the rest of the red liquid. He simply stared, and grabbed the bottle re-filling the glass.

“Garrett has a girlfriend. and he kissed me and now he’s blowing me off.” I ranted not even noticing I was crying. My dads eyes narrowed and he tensed up next to me, He pulled me into a hug and kissed the top of my head.

“Do you wanna stay home tomorrow? We can go to the movies, and all that good stuff we did in New York. Or even better! You stay home tomorrow and we have a party on Friday! You can invite all of those kooky friends you have.” He smiled excitedly.

I nodded into his shoulder just as his phone went off. “Hello?” he asked the other end. “Oh yeah, yeah, I’ll look at it right now.” He said getting up from his spot and walking to the office opening his Macbook.

The next morning I slept contently until ten then made my way to the shower. I grabbed some clothes before walking down stairs. I skipped around the corner into the kitchen where a plate of chocolate chip pancakes sat on the counter and my dad sipped a cup of coffee. “Morning.” He smiled tracing his eyes over the article he was reading from the newspaper. I took the plate of pancakes and made my way to living room. Returning to the kitchen for coffee and back to the couch turning on the television.

I had just finished my last bite when my phone started vibrating on the coffee table I answered it without looking at the screen. “Hello?” I asked turning the television down.

“Hey Ambey! It’s us.” The voice I recognized as Johns. “Where are you young lady, and why are you not in class?”

“Yeah Ambey! I missed you this morning, you can’t just not come to school.” Pat’s voice rang in.

“I’m hanging out with my dad today. I replied easily, as they groaned. “But hey, guy’s we’re throwing a party on Friday. I’ll give you all the details tomorrow. But don’t spread it around.” I said as Pat squealed with giddiness.

“Oh shit Ambey, Garrett’s coming. We’ll call you later.” Kennedy whispered before they all said bye and hung up.

“Hey, are you ready?” my dad asked walking into the room and putting on his glasses and grabbing his keys.

“Yep.” I said pulling my boots on and standing up to walk to the door.

“Are you going to invite Garrett to the party?” My dad questioned once the movie let out, we walked from the theater to a café to get some lunch.

“He an ass but I kind of can’t not invite him, he’s my best friend.” My dad nodded knowingly and took a sip from his coffee cup.

“I’ve made plans with Jordan for Friday so you can throw a legit party.” He said referring to our neighbor Jordan. I nodded back at him as my phone rang.

“Hello?” I answered looking at my dad as he ordered another cup.

“So we’re you just not going to tell me about you’re party or what?” Garrett’s voice was bitter and I made a mental note to kick the boys asses for letting out the secret.

“No, I was, I just don’t have all of the plans down. But if you’re going to be a dick than maybe I shouldn’t.” I said back equally bitter.

“Nah, I’m just stressed. Can we hang out when I get out of school.” I sighed about to start in on him again for blowing me off yesterday. But instead I looked at my dad who shook his head and mouthed something about not giving in to him.
“I’m busy today.” I said sitting up straighter.

“Busy doing what?” He shot back at me.

“I’m with my dad, I have to go.” I said not having an answer. “Bye.” I said quickly hanging up.

“Good enough.” My dad mumbled with a cigarette hanging from his mouth.
♠ ♠ ♠
tell me what ya think.
should she invite Garrett or no?