Status: It's a work in progress!! :) (give it a try!)

Forever Is Complex

Chapter Three

I could feel someone rubbing my shoulder. I jolted, and opened my eyes. I couldn't tell who it was, since it was just about pitch black, but I knew it was Gran from her clammy, cold, boney hands.
"Karyn, dear, time to get up." Gran said, and I could hear her smile.
"What?" I asked, rubbing my eyes with fists. Mornings were....well...slow.
"We're leaving in 20 minutes." Gran said, taking her hand off my shoulder.
"Mh...alright. I'll be right down." I reassured her. She came into vision as I got used to the dark. Her hair was in curlers, and she has dark circles around her eyes.
"Well, bye." She smiled again. Gran stood up and walked out of the room. I propped myself onto my elbow and yawned. After about five minutes I managed to zombie-walk to the bathroom.
I quickly splashed cold water onto my face, and dried it in my green tank-top. The wetness was uncomfortable on my skin, but I dealt with it. I walked down the staircase, and looked at the old pictures again. As I got down to the prom picture, I realized that Gran is almost my twin. It's remarkable how much I look like her. I smiled a bit, and went into the kitchen. Grandpa was reading the same newspaper from last night. Gran was watching an infomercial on the more recent TV sitting on the kitchen counter.
"Morning Karyn." Grandpa said without looking up. "Your breakfast is by the stove. Eat up, we leave in 10 minutes, or we'll leave you behind."
I considered this for a second.
"Alright." I went and got the plate of eggs, and sausage. I went and sat at the far end of the rectangular table, which could comfortably fit 6, but one Easter we got 13.
The eggs were pretty good, and the sausage were to die for. Gran was an amazing cook. I wolfed breakfast down in 4 minutes, then put my plate and fork in the dishwasher.
"Well...I'm ready to go." I said, breaking the silence.
"Too bad. We leave at 5:00am, sharp. Not 4:57. You may wait in the car though." Grandpa said, looking at me over his newspaper.
"Alright...I'll do that then." I felt denied. I slowly walked over to the door to the garage. I slipped my converses on, and left the house. The garage was cold with morning air. I hopped over the door into the car. It seemed like a better idea in my head, with whatever brain cell I have, because I smashed my knee into the floor of the car.
I managed to pull myself up to the seat, and I reached into my duffel-bag side pocket. I searched around for a second before finding my cell phone. The light in the corner was flashing. I went to the menu. 4 new messages. Number one From: Mom; Hav fun sweeti. Dad n I just got 2 Mexico! Call me whn u get 2 th club Mom is such a loser. From: Madison; Don't go and find a new best friend :D! Just got to Florida, I'll call you soon! ily Madison, my best friend, got to go to Florida, and California for winter break, spring break, and twice in the summer! From: Caroline; Your dog is barking. The grumpy old neighbor who has called the cops on me 4 times. From: Leo is the bomb!; SIENNA IS PREGNANT PLEASE CALL NOW!!!!!!!!! Shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, if you made it this far, it can't be that bad.