New Step Brother, New Family, New Life? Thanks for Nothing, Dad

Chapter 28

Chapter 28
 
McCartney's P.O.V.
 
Left jab. Right hook. Left uppercut. Dodge then counterpunch. The punching bag was getting a horrible beating, but that only meant I was on top of my game today. Kris Holland, get ready to take a beating.
 
Jackson walked into the room, his usual merry self. The thing about Jackson was he's not much older than me. But he's definitely like an older brother. Jack, as I sometimes called him, dropped out of high school and opened up a street fighting club. Now, I won't say that's the only illegal way he makes his profit. But it is definitely the one that will get him the least jail time.
 
Jackson is a little over six feet with dark chocolate brown eyes. His hair was black with platinum blonde highlights. He looked like a sweetheart, but I knew for a fact that Jackson would knock your lights out if given the chance.
 
"How's it going sweet pea?" he asked, slinging an arm around my shoulder. I smiled and kissed his cheek like I always did when he called me 'sweet pea.'
 
"Great. Did you get some good bets on this fight?" I asked. Jackson chuckled and nodded.
 
"Like you wouldn't believe. You and Kris are definitely raking in the dough. Whoever wins is going to get a big wad of cash." The thing about Jackson is he is incredibly honest, even if it hurts. Meaning he had no idea who was going to win the fight.
 
Kris and I were an even match when it came to fighting.
 
I had to glance at the clock. "So you came in to tell me it's time for the match," I said evenly, turning to face him.
 
Jackson nodded, his eyes sparkling with concern. "Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked. I nodded, took one last look in the mirror, and walked to the tunnel to wait for my name to be called. It's true, both Artist and Shadow are infamous street fighting names at Kletka.
 
Jackson exited around me and pushed through the large crowd to the microphone. He started the announcing at eight o'clock sharp. "Welcome Ladies and Gents to a special night here at Kletka! We have a incredible fight-time match-up here tonight. In the left tunnel, we have the clever and hardcore Artist!" The song 'Headstrong' by Trapt played over the speakers. The crowd cheered, banging on the fence. I saw Kris part the crowd and jog into the cage. He was shirtless and ready to go.
 
"And in the right tunnel, we have the stubborn and beautiful Shadow!" The crowd roared and parted as I jogged into the cage. 'The Kill' by 30 Seconds to Mars played loudly as I jumped up and down, pumping up the crowd and myself. The metal chain-link cage was closed and locked loudly behind me.
 
I must admit, I was a little uncomfortable being locked in an enclosed space with Kris. But I was ready to hurt him like he hurt me. "Don't hold back," I called to him, "Give these people what they paid for."
 
Kris simply nodded with a determined look on his face, and just like that, the bell rang and the fight began.
 
We circled few minutes, neither one of us wanting to make the first move, but both blocking out the screaming crowd. Finally, I got bored with it and struck forward with a right jab. Kris easily dodged and counterpunched me in the gut. I sucked in the air I had lost and jumped back.
 
Kris shrugged and held up his fists to block his face. I swiftly moved forward again and punched him in the stomach, then dropped to the ground and kicked his feet out from under him.
 
Kris fell with a 'thud.' I took the opportunity to pounce on Kris. I punched him repeatedly until I heard a single voice.
 
"McCartney Rowanne Finn! What in the hell do you think you are doing?" I looked up, and couldn't believe that my favorite cousin, Josie, was standing right in front of me outside the cage. On either side of her was Smokey (who looked incredibly pissed), Ethan (almost as pissed as Smokey), Tyler (upset and a bit angry), and of course Trent (angry, upset and confused).
 
I forgot I had never told Trent about my street fighting or ex-boyfriend. Oops.
 
"Josie?" I asked, "Is that seriously you?" But my single moment of hesitation gave Kris an opening. He slammed his feet into my stomach, kicking me off of him and halfway across the ring, landing on my side.
 
I gasped, as did just about everyone at Kletka. Pain burst through my body, especially near my ribs. I rolled on to my back and slowly sat up. I heard people shouting. My friends, Jackson, the crowd.
 
Kris rushed over to me, kneeling by me and helping me sit up. His eyes widen with concern "I'm so sorry, McCartney. Are you ok?" It was then that I noticed that he had a black eye, forming bruises lining his cheek bones and chest, and blood. Everywhere, dripping from cuts, scratches and a split lip.
 
I reached up, still in pain, and touched a bruise near his shoulder. "Did I do that?" I asked. Kris only nodded. I smirked and pulled back my fist. "Good." I slammed my fist into his cheek, and rolled on top of him, straddling his waist.
 
And I released all my anger. Anger at Kris for what he did to me. Anger at my dad for not telling me about his relationship. Anger at my mother for leaving me. And anger at leukemia for taking her.
 
A shower of punches rained down on Kris. He did his best to block them. I wasn't going to stop until someone yanked me backwards off of Kris. I was about to snap at whoever did. But, I looked up to meet Jackson's concerned gaze.
 
Jackson pulled me to a standing position and said into his wireless microphone, "We have our winner! Shadow!" The crowd roared, shaking the chain fence. I had to look back at Kris, where he was standing off to one side of the cage.
 
As Kletka began to clear out, I walked over to Kris. In a way, I was grateful for Kris letting me beat him to a pulp. And I knew he was ready to turn over a new leaf. So, something inside me wanted to make sure he was ok. I guess old habits die hard.
 
"You ok? I didn't break anything did I?" I asked him, glancing once again at the bruises and cuts scattered across his body.
 
"No. I'm fine. Just a bit beat up is all. What about you? Are yours ribs alright?" he asked. It was then that I noticed I was holding my side. I pulled back my hands to reveal a giant purplish bruise. "Holy hell!" Kris exclaimed, reaching forward to touch the bruise.
 
I flinched and took a step back. "I think they're fractured. I'll have to keep out of farm work for a while."
 
"Shouldn't we take you to the emergency room?" he asked. I shook my head and sighed. I would just wrap them when I get home.
 
"I want to be friends, Kris," I said, looking at him. His jaw dropped in surprise.
 
"Are you serious?" I nodded. Kris smiled and hugged me lightly, since both of us were in pain. I met Smokey's angry gaze across the way and sighed.
 
"Thanks, Kris. I'll talk to you later. My friends are waiting," I replied. Kris smiled just like he used to when we first started dating and waved. I waved too and turned to run to Trent, Tyler, Ethan, Smokey and Josie.
 
"Hey guys... Look, I'm sorry I didn't tell you. But I knew you wouldn't approve. Kris offered the fight and I needed to get all my anger out. Plus, the fight was worth a lot of money and please don't be mad at me. I didn't know Josie was coming into town and you know I love you all, but I had to do this and--" I rambled, but was sharply cut off.
 
"OMG Mick! Shut up!" Josie shouted, holding back her laughter. Everyone was. Except Smokey. She was totally pissed off, and I could tell I was going to get an earful from her later. I opened the door to the cage and ran out to them.
 
"Ok... Thanks for understanding, guys. Sorry you had to learn everything from them, Trent. I know I should have told you earlier," I said.
 
Trent shrugged, smile fading just a bit. "It's ok. I know you would have told me sooner or later." I shrugged too, a bit embarrassed.
 
"How about we all go out to dinner, my treat?" I asked. Everyone agreed. "Cool. Oh and I almost forgot. OMG JOSIE!!!" I screamed, pulling her into a hug and picking her up, spinning. Josie laughed as I put her down, rolling her eyes.
 
I have to admit, lifting Josie sent a burst of pain through my body. I had to flinch back a bit, which I hope no one noticed.
 
"Yeah I know it's been forever, but we are totally going to have an amazing time while I'm in town!" she answered excitedly.
 
"Let me go change into some actual clothes. I'll meet you outside," I said quickly. We all turned to leave, except Tyler who grabbed my arm.
 
"Listen," he stated, "I'm sorry I couldn't keep them away from here. But we were all worried." I smiled and nodded.
 
"Tyler, it's ok. I'm actually glad they are here," I replied, watching Tyler smile. "Now go on with the others." Tyler nodded and ran off after them.
 
Once I was in the girl's locker room, (which is empty since there aren't many female fighters) I texted Kris, asking him to wait outside and come to dinner with us. He agreed since he had walked here too and didn't have a car.
I changed into some grey, baggy, low-riding jeans and a tight-fitting midnight purple tee. Jackson walked in just as I was putting my gym bag back in my locker.
 
"Hey. Here's your payment," he said with a smile and handing me an envelope.
 
"Thanks. Like the fight?" I asked with a smirk. Jackson shrugged.
 
"Honestly, I didn't expect you to get back up after he kicked you down. Nice going." I laughed and hugged him as my thanks. Jackson left after we said our "Good-bye's." I thought I was alone, until someone else walked into the locker room.
 
Gosh, a lot of people keep walking in on me!
 
I looked up and noticed a girl. She had long curly brown hair and matching brown eyes. She was actually really pretty, from a girl's stand point. The girl walked over to me and smiled.
 
"Hello. I saw your fight out there. You were pretty amazing. That guy had to have done something to you for you to beat him up so badly," she stated.
 
"Uh, thanks?" I said, noticing how straightforward she was. "My name is Shadow, real name McCartney Finn. Have I met you before?"
 
The girl shook her head and replied, "I don't think so. Maybe we go to the same high school or something. Anyways, I'm new to Kletka and this side of town too. My name Alexandra Crepsley."
 
Crepsley.... That name sounded familiar. I shrugged it off and smiled. Alexandra seemed nice and cool. I could tell right then that she was going to be a great friend.
 
"Listen, I know this is weird since we just met. But since you're new here and all, would you like to come with me and some friends out to dinner?" Alexandra's face lit up. She nodded eagerly.
 
"That would be awesome! Thanks! I'm starving, for one, and it would be awesome to make some new friends."
 
"No problem," I laughed, "Come on, they're waiting outside."
 
Alexandra and I walked outside together, I introduced her to everyone. Josie, Trent, Tyler, Smokey and Ethan had been standing in a group. Kris was off to one side, looking a bit uncomfortable and awkward. Every once and a while, Smokey or Ethan would glare in his direction. I knew one thing was definitely for sure:
 
It would take a lot of convincing for my friends to ever accept Kris.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 28 posted? I think so. Sorry it took so long! I've had a lot going on! Seriously, like you have nooooooooooo idea how much going on. Haha thanks for reading!

Character consultant for Josie Finn: Quizilla user OscarxThexGrouch8

Character consultant for Alexandra Crepsley: Quizilla user NanaChan07