Sequel: Unsaid Things
Status: Completed

Don't Give up on Me

I've Changed

The café had still smelt of coffee and donates and the waitresses were the same old ladies who I had grown to love. I took a seat at the same booth as I always had and grabbed the menu, though I already knew what I wanted; it was the same thing as I used to always get; chicken strips, fries, and a coffee; black. I wiped a stray tear before a waitress showed up beside me.

“I knew it was you, dear! I haven’t seen you show up here in months!” I turned in my seat and a smile grew as I saw Linda Bolero, my favorite waitress here; she was like a grandmother to me.

“Hey Linda, and I know…I left my home because of…well, you know.” I whispered as she pulled me into a hug. She saw my stomach and gasped silently, completely shocked at what had grown there since I had last seen her. “My mum had kicked me out because of it so I’m living with my best friend in London.” I whispered, and she nodded, taking a seat beside me.

“Niccy, honey, if you are having any trouble at all, you know you can come and talk to me. You’re practically a granddaughter to me.” She said with a smile, and I nodded slowly. She had always loved me. “I should get back to work, you getting number 11?” she asked, and I grinned.

“Like always.” We spoke at the same time, causing me to giggle. She left me alone to put in the order and I had let out another sigh. I slipped my phone out of my pocket and saw I had 24 missed calls. Rachel: 17, Dougie: 3, Harry: 2, and Tom: 2. my smile faltered a little bit as I noticed none was from Danny. I just shook my head and pulled open a new text message to send to Rachel:

I went back home; couldn’t deal with his shit. Kicked out again, I’ll be home tomorrow. Don’t wait up for me. xx

I pressed send and just sat their, staring off into space until my food arrived. I ate it rather slow, rubbing my stomach as my baby was having a frenzy. Though I knew that what I was eating wouldn’t be healthy for her, I ate my food anyways because I was craving it so badly. Since I was staring at the table in a daze, I didn’t notice a figure slide into the other seat at my table. I looked up, then, to grab a napkin and noticed the figure before me. I dropped my fork and my mouth flew open.

“Niccy,” he whispered, looking over at my stomach with an eyebrow raised. “I didn’t think you actually were…” he whispered, and I looked down, rubbing my stomach protectively. “It’s been forever since I’ve seen you last.” He stated, and I nodded slowly. I didn’t want to talk to him, I didn’t want to hear him, and I didn’t even want to see him. He had done this to me, and I can never forgive him for everything he had done to me.

“Damien.” I stated his name, lifting my head to look up at him. “Why-why are you here…talking to me?” I whispered, and he laughed softly with a diminutive smile. I knew that he was up to no good but all I could do was smile back at him, as if nothing had happened between us at all.

“I came to get food and saw you, thought you’d want company. Where have you been?” he asked, tilting his head to the side. For some reason, he’d started to act nice. And I had no idea how that could be; he couldn’t have changed…could he? He’s an ass, and he always will be.

“I moved…to London to live with my best friend. My parents kicked me out…” I paused, and Damien actually looked sympathetic for what I had just said. I raised an eyebrow. “What is wrong with you? You were an ass when you hurt me…and when I left. Why are you being all nice all of a sudden? It’s freaking me out.” I muttered, and he chuckled. I raised an eyebrow.

“People change, Niccy, and I’m one of them. I’ve changed.” He said, shrugging his shoulders swiftly. “Your parents kicked you out? That’s horrible. I’m sorry that I’ve done this to you… It was a mistake; I made a mistake. I just hope you aren’t mad about what I’ve done still…” he whispered, and I could tell that he was actually upset about what he had done. I knew that I couldn’t still be mad at him; he’s changed…right?

“I’m not…don’t worry about it.” I said in a flat tone, turning to him with a soft smile. We continued to talk…as if we haven’t talked in a long time; which we hadn’t; and he’s actually turned into a really cool person. I actually believe him that he’s changed.

“How far along are you?” he asked, and I placed one of my hands on my rounded stomach. I felt her kick and it made me smile softly to myself.

“About 5 ½ months.” I nodded, and he smiled.

“That is so cool.” He muttered, and I giggled; causing him to chuckle too. I knew that this was the beginning of a new friendship with him. I just hoped that it wouldn’t end the same was as it had before. I took a deep breath and handed the waitress the right amount for my bill.

“Well…I should get going.” I mused, looking at my phone to see the new text:

Tonight. Come home tonight. You aren’t staying there over night. I don’t trust your family or anyone else, for the matter. Please, Niccy.

“I need to catch a train to London before it gets to dark. Rachel wants me home as soon as possible. I kind of…ran away.” I chuckled, standing up from the table slowly, with one hand on my stomach and the other holding up my weight. “I’ll see you around, hopefully. We’ll need to catch up more.” I smiled, before I turned my back and slowly made my way out of the café. I didn’t make it too far before Damien had placed a hand on my shoulder.

“Niccy? Why don’t you stay at my place tonight? My parents won’t mind. I don’t want you riding the train at night all alone. You can leave first thing in the morning if you want.” He offered and I raised my eyebrows in thought. “I won’t do anything, honest. I just want to make sure you’ll be safe.” He offered, and I bit my lip, actually contemplating it. For once, I made a decision I never thought I’d make.

“You know what? I’d love to.”