Status: This story belongs to troublemaker96 on Quizillia

Primitive Instincts

I Have a Family Now

R I V E R

I rolled over in bed and saw Embry lying next to me, sleeping soundly. His face looked so untroubled when he was sleeping. So young. I reached over and brushed a strand of hair from his face. He shivered lightly before opening his eyes, squinting at the light coming in through the window.

"Hey." he smiled, streching.

"I didn't mean to wake you. You had a long night." i whispered, not sure if his mom was home or not.

"I don't mind." he said rubbing my face with his thumb.

"Is your mom home?" i asked, picking at the stray pieces of lint on his sheets. I lifted my head up and glanced around. The previous night it had been too dark to see, but now i saw that it was extremely messy. There were clothes strewn about the room, and i couldn't see the floor.

"No. She already left for work. She'll be back by 6. So what do you want to do until then?" he asked, sitting up as well and hopping out of the bed, trying to kick clothes out of his way. "Wait, i know." he smiled, giving me a micheaveous look.

"What?" i asked cautiously, pulling myself out of the bed. He made me nervous when he gave me that look.

"Let's get breakfast at Sam's first. Then we'll talk." he said, grabbing my hand and pulling me out the door.

"Can't i brush my hair first. Or my teeth?" i asked, running my tongue over them.

"After we eat. You look perfect." he smiled down at me, squeezing my hand tighter. He was so cheesy.

"Sure i do. And i bet i look healthy too. And all of my scars have disappeared." I rolled my eyes. He put a hand on my back.

"Does it still hurt?" he asked, his voice softening.

"No. It's fine. There'll always be scars there. And i hate that." i said, sighing and leaning against him. We got into his truck and fell into a silence. That is, until my stomach grumbled loudly. He smirked at that and then started the truck up and pulled out of the driveway, accelerating down the road to Sam's place.

Max, was there. He loved Emily.

I scooted closer to Embry and pulled his arm over my shoulder, snuggling up to him.

"Cold?" he asked, seeming to relax at my touch. He had the same effect on me.

"No. I just like being close to you." I whispered, closing my eyes and smiling. I was so happy that i could just do this and he wouldn't push me away. It amazed me.

"Not as much as i like being close to you." he whispered, making me shiver. His voice was low and husky and made my knees feel weak. It was kind of...sexy. I gulped and took another deep breath.

The Sun was bright today, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, which was extremely odd for Forks. The Sun filtered through the window and instantly warmed me up.

It was a short drive the Emily's house and when we pulled up Max was sitting on the porch, playing with one of his power ranger action figures. He was still in his footy pajama's and i looked at the car clock to see that it was only 9. I felt a little guilt about leaving Max here for the night. I hadn't been able to say the magic words for him. He probably hadn't gotten any sleep.

As we pulled to a stop i jumped out of the car and hopped over to Max, pulling him into a small hug.

"How did you sleep?" i asked, noticing that his eyes were drooping.

"I didn't sissy. You didn't say the magic wurds." he said, turning his head away from me. I sighed and rubbed his back, knowing he was always grumpy when he was tired. I was too.

"How about i say the words and you can take a nap okay?" he nodded and held his arms up for me to pick him up. I grabbed him under the arms and he directed me to the room he was staying in. It was surprisingly clean and his clothes for the day were laid out on the chair in the corner of his room.

I tucked him into the bed, and turned off the lights. Then i returned to his bed and sat on the edge, brushing his hair out of his face.

"'The time has come.' the walrus said.

'To talk of many things.

Of shoes---and ships---and sealing wax.'" At that point another voice joined in with mine and i turned to see Embry standing in the doorway, watching me and Max.

"'of cabbages---and kings.

And why the sea is boiling hot?

And whether pigs have wings?'"

I kept my eyes locked with Embry's until i heard Max's soft snoring beside me. I got up from the bed and moved to the doorway, wrapping my arms around his body and resting my head on his chest.

"I love you Embry." i sighed, looking at the sleeping form of my little brother.

"I love you too River." He said, resting his hands on my hips. "And Max loves you too. Your like a mom to him." he said.

"I think he likes you too. Maybe you could be like a dad. He's never had one." i sighed, squeezing Embry tighter, loving his scent and our closeness.

"I'd be honored to." he said, and i could hear the smile in his voice. It was a weird feeling. In the pit of my stomach it was warm and fuzzy. I looked up at Embry and then back at Max.

It kind of felt like i had a family.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thats all for now. I won't be updating soon cuz im going to be at camp.