‹ Prequel: Don't Hold Your Breath
Status: I may only be able to update once a week D: If that . . . stupid school >.<

You're The Only One

I'm Not A Violent Man, But People Can Change

I slowly made my way to my feet. 

Brendon just stood there, breathing heavily, but not moving. I wanted to walk towards him, and comfort him, but I was honestly scared. I didn’t want to startle him in any way. 

Patrick stood frozen in the doorway. He had a look of horror on his face. He just watched his best friend die right in front of his eyes. Kaela had tears in here eyes, and was clinging onto Patrick’s arm for comfort. 

Brendon looked down at his shirt that was splattered in blood, and then down at the lifeless body on the floor. He dropped the gun, and began to back away until he was backed up against the wall. He continued to hyperventilate. Then his legs gave out and he was sitting against the wall. Finally, dry sobs began to escape his lips. I carefully made my way to Brendon. I put my hand on his shoulder, but he didn’t respond. He just continued to stare at the scene in front of him. I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him into a hug. Hecried sobbed into my shoulder. 

“We have to get out of here.” Kaela was the first one to speak. “The neighbors probably heard the gunshots and called the cops. We need to leave. Now.” She said in a monotone voice. 

“Where are we going to go?” I asked worriedly. 

“I don’t know. Maybe Gabe’s? for now at least. I’ll call Jon, but we need to get out of here now.”  

“She’s right.”  Patrick said. “Grab Brendon. I’ll drive. The cops are probably on their way.” 

Brendon rose to his feet, and I grabbed his hand as we raced out of the building as fast as we could. 

Brendon and I piled into the backseat, and Kaela sat up front while Patrick drove. 

As soon as we took off, Brendon began to break down again. Brendon has always has always feared gun’s of any kind ever since the incident years ago where he was shot by the drug dealer. He’s also always hated violence. 

“I-I didn’t mean too.” He stuttered. “I w-was just t-trying to g-get the gun from him and th-then it w-went off. I didn’t want to k-kill him. I j-just didn’t want him to hurt you.” He mumbled between his sobs. 

I fought back tears and sobs of my own. I had to stay strong for Brendon. For now at least. 

“W-Why were y-you just going to let him sh-shoot y-you?” his voice broke. 

I let out a shaky sigh. “H-He told me that either I had to leave you a-and go with him, or he w-would kill me, th-then kill himself. I couldn’t leave you. It was out of the q-question. It was impossible. And I figured if w-we were b-both gone, he wouldn’t bother you anymore . . . I’m sorry” I said. 

“Ryan.” He said very sternly, despite the fact that it was slightly shaky. “If I had been thirty seconds too late. And I hadn’t stopped him in time, it wouldn’t have mattered if he killed himself or not, because I would have been right behind you. I can’t live without you. I thought you knew that.” He mumbled.

"B-Bren… Y-You can't k-kill yourself. No matter what happens to me. Ever. Promise that you will n-not hurt yourself." I told him. 

"Ryan, I'm sorry. I can't make that promise." he said. 

"Brendon, y-you have to." 

"What if I died? How would you react?" he asked. I didn't answer. He was right. It would be hypocritical for me to ask him to move on if something happened to me. Because I know I wouldn't be able to. 

"Turn left here." Kaela said directing Patrick to Gabe's house. 

~*~

Kaela knocked on the door, Brendon and I stood behind her, holding eachother, and Patrick was behind us pacing back and forth. 

The door opened, revealing a shirtless William. 

"Uh hey guys. What's up?" he asked, probably sensing something was wrong. You could cut the tension with a knife. 

"Who's at the door Bilvy my dear!" Gabe called from somewhere far away. His tone was very antagonistic. 

"Why don't you get off your lazy ass and come see for yourself ass hole!" He shouted back. I swear, these two never quit bickering. 

~*~

"You're just messing with me right?" Gabe asked after Kaela had finished explaining. 

"No. She's not. Pete's dead and the cops are going to be looking for us, and it's all my fault." I said. 

Gabe and will exchanged looks. 

"Well, you're welcome to stay here for as long as you like." Will said. 

"Thank you." Brendon mumbled. 

"Anytime guys. You know you're welcome here. Um, there's a spare bedroom down the hall, will you guys be needing a place to stay?" he asked Patrick and Kaela. 

"Um, I don't know." Kaela answered. "I should call Jon and have him meet us here do he knows what's going on." She said getting ready to leave the room. "Patrick, you better stay, I don't think you're in any shape to drive." She said to him. He didn't respond. He still looked looked like he'd seen a ghost. Or his best friend die…

There was a bit of an uncomfortable silence while Kaela called up Jon. 

~*~

About ten minutes later, Jon and Spencer showed up and were told the story. There reactions were about the same as Gabe's. 

"I have a friend in California." Kaela said. "I bet she'd be willing to let us stay with her for a while. Until we can get settled. 

"We?" Brendon questioned. "You guys don't have to go anywhere. Once we're out of the picture no one will bother you." 

"But…" Jon interjected. "We've been friends since highschool. Were all in this together. And besides, I'm getting tired of Vegas."

"Yeah. A rode trip sounds fun." Spencer said. 

"You guys, this is crazy!" I said. "Kaela… Jon, you have a baby! You can't just pick up your stuff and leave. And you all have lives. You can't just leave because of a stupid mistake I made!" 

"We made." Brendon mumbled under his breath. 

"Ryan, shut up. You have no say in this. Me and Bilvy are in." Gabe said. 

"And Patrick, you're coming too. You don't have a choice." William said. 

"But-"

"Shush Ryan. And Brendon. You two better get off to bed, were off to California tomorrow and you guys need to rest." Kaela said. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay, I updated three days in a row. Be happy.
Although, I do feel like the second half of this chapter sucks majorly. Oh well.
Ily all <3

*Edited*