Reduced To Tears.

Sanity Tastes

Permanent tear stains had become etched into Caris’s chalky white skin. She got up Monday morning, put on her uniform, then stared at herself in the bathroom. She noticed how her eyes had lost their light, how her skin had lost the colour. She had cried herself to sleep again last night. She had dreamed about Hayden and Ella. They had stabbed her in the heart, and then laughed as she fell to the floor and her body became limp and lifeless. Her alarm had gone off, waking her from her silent torture. Hayden was doing this, and Ella was making it worse. Caris thought that nobody would notice if she became lonely, and depressed. She was wrong. Her friends noticed. Her parents noticed, and little did she know, Hayden noticed. He worried. Caris was fraught though, and didn’t realise.
Caris had wondered why Andrew would have stayed around to see her through her heartbreak, not really understanding. But the gratefulness circulated through her blood, nevertheless. She really did love Andrew, and she knew that she would owe him most of her life, to repay him in the ways he was trying to save her from herself.
Her mother’s cheery voice shunted her out the front door. Charity had decided against walking to school with Caris anymore. Caris didn’t question Charity’s choice. She knew she was losing Charity as a friend anyway. Charity knew Caris was mad for Hayden, but she didn’t realise that Caris was losing her sanity over him. Charity and Ella were close friends, and gradually, Charity became closer to Ella.
Moaning in pain, Caris’s pace slowed. Her hands were icy. But her face remained warm. She placed her freezing cold hands on her face, and the nerves in her facial skin protested. She shivered and started back up with a fast pace. Caris thought back to the first day of school.
The science teacher had made them all stand in a circle, and each say something about herself. Caris said her bit, then turned to look at the boy next to her. And as fate would have it, of course it would be Hayden. She didn’t realise at the time, that this would be the boy that would ruin her life.
Caris walked into the large school, her blue eyes dull from pain, and red from crying. She walked slowly through the locker area, straight to the year seven area. She didn’t stop to talk to any of her other friends. She knew who she needed. She had to find Andrew. She spotted him, and felt something bubble up in her chest. She ran at Andrew and hugged him. He patted her head, and hugged her back.
“What’s wrong, Amorcita?” Andrew asked, jokingly, he’d be mental to not to know what was wrong.
“Global warming. Polar bears are dying.” Caris’s voice said, muffled against Andrew’s chest.
Andrew laughed, happy she was making a joke, however feeble.
“You ask a stupid question, you're going to get a sarcastic answer, Andrew.” Her muffled little voice responded to his laughter.
She sounded more like her old self, but when he pulled away to look at her, she was just as sick, just as undead and lifeless as she had before. Her eyes made him want to cry. He would have put the sparkle back in her eyes if he could. She looked tired, and breakable. Her eyes were, as usual, corpse like. Her hair had gotten dull, and strawish. She was skinny. Too skinny. She might have passed having the flu off as an excuse, but she wasn’t fooling him.
Rollcall bell rang, and Caris walked. She walked for herself. She didn’t want to go to rollcall, she didn’t want to go to first period. She didn’t want to see him. Her. Them. Caris stood by the door, until the bell for first period rang. Caris felt like throwing-up. To cut herself, and bleed to death. Then he would be sorry. They all would be.