‹ Prequel: Reminiscing
Sequel: Deleted Scenes
Status: Active

Caged Mentality

Happy

POV: Khristos Larkin

“So what are we gonna talk about today?” I questioned, lying on the couch and watching Riel walk over to sit on top of his desk. I was getting bored with therapy sessions... They just weren't fun.

“Anything you have in mind? What are you thinking about?” He asked, playing with a pen, like always. Did he ever not do that? “Getting angry over anything small?”

I shrugged. “I don't really have anything to talk about. I haven't been all that angry since I went to see my family a while back and had a huge outburst.”

“Well that's good. But how long ago was that? What set it off exactly?”

“Three weeks. My mom was being a major bitch... She was the only one there until Dad and Roman got home, but by that time I had already trashed the living room.” I replied, staring at the ceiling, remembering the day that happened. I hated that I did that to Dad's house.

“Wow...” Riel laughed. Like it was funny... “Nothing between then and when you ran off?”

I shook my head no. “I was pretty much a little angry in general the whole time. Frustrated. Because I couldn't have you.”

“Well sorry for causing you so many problems. Still, should have listened to me. You're my patient.” He sighed, but he was almost grinning.

“Like you really wanted me to listen.” I smirked. “You can't tell me you aren't happier now that you're with me.”

“Maybe you should remind me.” He smirked, then laughed and picked up a book. “I'm just kidding.”

Remind him? Fuck yeah.

“Sure you are.” I stood, walking over to him and grabbing the book, tossing it behind me. I pressed my lips to Riel's, my hands resting on the desk on either side of him. He wrapped an arm around my neck, pulling me closer and parting my lips.

We were interrupted by a very unpleasant sound. A song? I don't think it even deserves that title.

You make me happy
Whether you know it or not


He pulled away, staring at me. “What the fuck is that?”

We should be happy
That's what I said from the start


“I don't know, but it's annoying as hell...” I muttered, my gaze fixed on Riel. “It needs to stop before I stab myself in the fucking head...”

“I don't know. It's nothing of mine... Maybe someone left a cell in here?” He mumbled, beginning to look around the couch area.

“It sounds close...” I said, scanning the desk.

You're looking so cool, you're looking so fly
I can't deny that when I'm staring you down right dead in the eye
I wanna try to be the person you want, the person you need


“God, what the hell is this shit? It's too pansy to even be considered music! Did you have some twelve year old chick in here before me or something?!” I questioned angrily, starting to throw things off the desk in search of the source of that god damn annoying music. Why the hell would someone wanna listen to this shit? Why the hell would someone even wanna record that shit?

“No, I had a seventeen year old boy and a twenty year old girl.” Riel mumbled. “Neither could... I mean this song... Damn it's too calm and happy!”

“If it was a ringtone it would've fuckin shut up by now!” I slammed my fist into the desk, beyond annoyed. “Where the fuck is it coming from?!”

“I don't know. Maybe we hit the phone and its playing off an mp3?” He suggested, walking over to the desk.

“Its not on the desk, but it's definitely over here, why don't you just try calling your last two patients?” I suggested, placing my hands over my ears. I couldn't take it anymore... “Then we'll find out... I can't stand this goddamn song!”

“Even if I called 'em, it could still play that song... Maybe if it's an mp3, they have it as their ringtone too.” He proposed, walking around the desk. “I really don't know. But fuck it's annoying, and it's hard to annoy me.”

“If it's the same thing as their ringtone, it would start over, wouldn't it?” I questioned, dropping my hands to my sides. It wasn't helping. I stared at Riel. “Just do something, this is driving me insane!”

“Yeah I suppose.” Riel took out his phone, pressing some buttons. The annoying song stopped, just to be replaced with another one. Fall Out Boy, I think. Ugh, just kill me now...

“It's Cable's cell...” Riel closed his phone. “He was here last...” He reached underneath the desk, pulling out some shrimpy kid with brown and black hair and green-hazel eyes.

“What the fuck is this? An eavesdropper?” I demanded angrily, walking over to them and grabbing the boy by his shirt. I was not happy with him. “You think that was funny?” I shook him furiously. “What the hell is wrong with you?! Your music murdered my fucking brain!”

“Kris! Stop!” Riel ordered, but I ignored him. Hell, when did I ever listen to him?

“It was pretty funny. Obviously.” Cable laughed. “Someone has no sense of humor. Come on, that was perfect timing!”

Riel pulled Cable toward him, probably to keep the stupid pansy kid outta my reach. “Since when do you listen to that?”

“Why you act different here than during my sessions?”

“It was not funny! It was stupid!” I shouted, throwing some random thing from the desk at Cable. “It was not perfect timing, we were totally in the middle of something! You're lucky Riel's here to protect you or I'd be breaking your fucking face right now!”

“Kris stop it right now! Calm down.” Riel made an attempt to calm me down, but it wasn't working at all. I wanted to tear the kid to shreds, and honestly, I wasn't sure why I was so pissed off. I just was. I couldn't control it.

“What? Busy sucking face?” Cable laughed. “Why does he get such a different side of you? It's unfair.”

Riel just rolled his eyes. Great response.

“Oh, oh, yeah! I'm immature so I have full rights to this.” Cable laughed, then broke into song. “Two li'l flamers sitting in a tree, are they fucking? Yes indeed.” He leaned against the wall, laughing.

“Cable, you need to stop, Kris has an anger issue he can't control.”

Damn right the kid needed to stop. Before he made this any worse.

“What? It's not fair. Maybe I want this version of Dr. Carlin too.”

“Shut the fuck up, you stupid little bastard!” I yelled, tearing Cable away from the wall by his shirt just to slam him back against it. “I don't know why the hell you were hiding under the desk like a fucking weirdo, but you should just leave if you know what's best for you! You're not getting this side of Riel.” I tightened my jaw, my fist clenched around his shirt, still pressing him back against the wall.

“Jeez, someone jealous much?” Cable grinned. Fucking brat. “I deserve this side as much as you. Besides dumbass, I can't move with you holding me.”

“Okay Kris, leave him be.” Riel pulled Cable away from me, standing in front of him like a shield. “You can't hurt him.”

“I wanna fucking kill him!” I shouted, then bit my lip and clenched my fists, trying to calm myself down. It didn't get me anywhere, I couldn't contain my anger. I threw my fist into the wall, forming a hole.

“Why? He was only joking around with the song.” Riel stated. Like that helped...

“Since when do you date patients?” Cable asked. “Maybe I wanna! I knew him longer.” He stuck his tongue out, pissing me off even more.

“Cable you're seventeen and you're not even gay.” Riel rolled his eyes.

“I'm pretty sure this kid has a fucking death wish, just move aside!” I ordered, trying to get to Cable, but Riel wouldn't let me.

“He probably does.” Riel agreed, staring at me blankly. “But it's my job to make sure he stays alive.”

“Death wishes are fun.” Cable grinned, then planted a kiss on Riel's cheek. He really was asking for it.

“You really shouldn't push him.” Riel told Cable, looking down at him.

“It's fun.” The brat whined, wrapping his arms around my Riel. I was gonna kill him.

Riel rolled his eyes. “Cable's just messing. He's not even gay, Kris. So drop it. Calm down.”

“I don't give a fuck! If he wants to die, then you should let him and I'll help him out!” I tore Cable away from Riel, throwing my fist into the kid's face.

“Aw fuck!” He screamed. “You didn't have to hit me.”

“Kris!” Riel shouted. “You can't punch him!” He forced Cable to look at him. “I need to get him home and make sure his nose isn't broken.” He glared at me. He was upset with me. “You're just gonna have to sit here and wait.”

“No way in hell am I just sitting here while you go off with this brat!” I protested. “Either I go with you or we stay here and he can go by himself.”

“And why is that Kris? You going to stop me?” Riel asked, wrapping an arm around Cable. What the hell?

“I'll be good.” Cable mumbled, taking out his phone, texting someone.

“What, now you're trying to piss me off too?” I questioned, half-glaring at Riel.

“My mom's outside.” Cable announced quietly. “I'll see you later.” He waved as he left the room.

Riel took my hands in his, pulling me with him to his desk. He sat on it and I stood in front of him, our eyes locked. “You really getting jealous over a kid hugging me? He's straight and seventeen.”

“He just pisses me off.” I muttered, pulling my hands away and going to lie face down on the couch.

“Come on. Relax, Kris.” He laughed lightly, kneeling beside me and kissing my cheek, making some of my anger disappear. “Chill a bit.”

“I don't ever wanna see that kid again.” I stated, then kissed Riel's lips.

He took my face in his hands. “You may have to.” He laughed, then pressed his lips to mine.

Wait, what? “Why would I have to see him again?” I broke the kiss to stare at him.

“I have to go to his house a lot.” Riel informed. “It's that bad you have to stop kissing me?”

“Maybe. Is he gonna act like that every time I see him? Cause I won't hesitate to punch him again.”

“He was only kidding around, Kris. And no.” He rolled his eyes.

“Well, he can just go find someone else to kid around with. I don't wanna take his shit.”

“Fine...” Riel sighed, standing. “We really should be careful about us here anyway. You should have just taken advantage of my absentmindedness a minute ago.” He grinned, sitting on his desk again.

“Why should we be careful? No one ever just bursts in mid-session and I doubt anyone else is gonna be hiding under your desk.” I stated, not liking the idea of having to be careful.

“Well no one can know about us...” He sighed. “ No more kissing in my office or this building.”

“You can't honestly believe I'm going to listen to that.” I laughed, flipping onto my back and staring at Riel.

“You have no choice.” He shook his head. “So tough shit.”

“I'll do what I want. Not like you're gonna stop me every time I try to kiss you.” I said confidently.

“I will in this office.”

“No, you won't. I'll get away with it sometimes.”

“Nope. You won't.”

“Whatever.” I paused, then had an idea. “Wanna go on a date with me?”

“What do you wanna do?”

“What did you have planned for us to do that one day you suggested we take the session outside the office?”

“I don't remember. You asked, you pick.”

I sighed, thinking. “I really don't know... We could go skydiving.” I smirked, knowing full well he wouldn't go for that. He wasn't the type. He probably wouldn't let me either... Good thing I've already had the experience. “Or bungee jumping.”

“Yeah right...” He glared. “We shouldn't be talking about this anyway. I'm Dr. Carlin at the moment. Not Riel.”

“Yeah whatever. So why not skydiving? It'd be fun.”

“Not my thing.” He sighed. I was exactly right. “This is therapy. You're dating me only outside this place. So focus on this, not a date.”

“Okay, well we need to figure out where to go.” I stated, completely ignoring what he was telling me. I wanted to figure out what we're doing on our date. “I'm sure there's a concert we could go to. If not someone we know, there's always a local band playing.”

“We could go see Corpse Composure.” He suggested, playing with a pen. “But this is therapy! Stop ignoring that.”

“Sure, if you wanna. I've heard of them.” I said thoughtfully, ignoring his attempt to get me to focus on therapy. I didn't want to. “Heard a couple of their songs on YouTube. You know when their next concert is?”

“Its a week from now. Starts at like ten. Two locals are opening, then Corpse Composure should be playing around an hour. Probably longer. They have a record for playing longer than they say.” He laughed. “I got their CD here. Somewhere...” He started going through his desk.

“So you have pieces of Riel in Dr. Carlin's office.” I chuckled. “So you really like this band?”

“I suppose...” He tossed the CD at me. I caught it. “The CD was dropped off here, that's why its here. We can go to the concert, meet me at my house at nine next week.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't hate Kris for punching Cable pleeeease :D
It's not his fault he has an anger disorder thing and Cable was pissing him off :o
I hope everyone liked this chapter :D
Thanks for all your comments so far:

Glamour!Kills [I agree, Riel should always give Kris what he wants :P]
Angelfire [Nice signature xD]
Coollike [Thanks so much :D]
Hezzarther [Whatever 'Immpded' means xD]

You guys are the best!

xoxo,
Hayley
<3