Status: Complete.

Burning Bridges, Building Love

34

Jake leaned back at Big Cat leaned in close, glaring at him. He’d just arrived and Big Cat was already on his case, they hadn’t even told anyone.

“What?” Jake asked confused.

“I know one of her lies even when I hear it from someone else. She’s not very good at it if she’s caught off guard…” Big Cat stated simply. Jake groaned at the truthful words. “You hurt her, Gyllenhaal,” Jake looked back up at Big Cat standing over him. “I’ll kick the shit out of whatever remains of you once she’s done with you.” Jake stuck his hand out in agreement. “Wow…no argument, no protest, no…anything?”

“No…” Jake stated confused. “I don’t want to hurt her. If I do I know the end result…or possible end results.” He shrugged indifferently.

“You are the first guys she’s been with that knows the hell and misery he’s getting into before hand and is okay with that.” Big cat took a step back. “Who are you and what have you done with Jake?” Jake laughed.

“I really like her, she treats me like I’m normal.”

“You’re crazy is what you are.” Big cat shot quickly. Jake laughed.

“Maybe, but so is she so I guess that evens out.” Big Cat bobbed his head. “Don’t worry I won’t drag you into whatever trouble I get myself into with her.” Jake smiled before standing and walking towards the photographer beckoning him over.

“Ugh!” Rayne turned to Jake lying out on the floor spread eagle.

“Isn’t that usually my role?” She teased down at him.

“Done.” Was all he uttered.

“No.” Rayne pointed. Jake’s eyes snapped open at that. That had been the last scene to the movie and final touch ups to it. “Freedom!” She giggled sitting on him. “There is, in fact a difference.” Jake shrugged.

“To me, same thing. I don’t know what freedom feels like, just the feeling of being done and accomplished feeling of doing it.” He stated honestly. He was always done with one film and usually right on to the next one. There were only a few with time in between to relax, never time to be free.

“You don’t know the feeling a freedom?” Jake shrugged lightly.

“I can do what I want, but I’m a role model for a lot of people or a ‘heart throb’” He used finger quotes. “So I watch what I do, say, blah, blah, blah, blah. That and I usually jump from one film to the next once one’s done or back and forth if I’m working on a few.” He admitted.

“Are you doing that this time?” She asked messing with the ties on his sweater. Jake opened his eyes to watch her, closely.

“No…why?”

“How much time do you have free?”

“A month…okay,” Sitting up he stared at him. “You’re scaring me. What’s up?” He laughed. Rayne giggled and looked down at her lap.

“Do you wanna know the feeling of freedom?” Jake shrugged in response. “Pack you’re things for warm weather.” Kissing his cheek she stood up and ran off leaving Jake stunned and confused.

“What?! I’m so confused.” He groaned falling back and placing his hands on his face. “And terrified. This may end badly.” He grumbled into his palm debating on if he should tell his agent to get him readings for the next month or play nice with his girlfriend. “Why do I have to be a good human being?” He whispered lying on the ground knowing he was going to do whatever Rayne told him to.

“I don’t know how to ride a motorcycle!” Jake gasped three days later in the middle of no where with just her, an RV with a Trailer attached to it, motorcycles, and open spaces. It…wasn’t exactly what Jake had been expecting to be honest. Sure he wasn’t expecting something glamorous but he’d sort of imaged her torturing someone to death or something slightly more horrifying.

“I’m going to teach you duh!” Rayne giggled. Jake whined in distaste.

She did as she said, it took him two days to get down but he got it down. Rayne smiled at him as they rode along slowly. Jake was still tense when he rode, but he understood how to stop, how to go, and even how to shift gears rather quickly for a beginner.

“Now.” Rayne stated, hands on her hips. “Go.”

“Where?” Jake asked eyeing her nearly bare torso. That had been one of the upsides to riding with her. She walked around in nothing but a sports bra and boy shorts, or riding gear. She looked amazing when ever he looked over at her.

“Anywhere.” She stated with a laugh. Jake stared at her confused. “See, this is why you don’t know freedom!” She pointed standing over the front tire and fender of the bike. “You need a destination. You don’t care how you get there. You just need to know there’s an end result. Moto doesn’t have an end result. This sport is always advancing and changing, and twisting and turning. It’s all about in the moment. You’re not about being in the moment. You’re about getting to that end result. That’s impossible in this sport, in this area,” She waved her hand to the rising and rolling hills around them. “Just go. You wanna go left, go left. You wanna go right, go right. Go how ever fast or slow you want. You wanna launch yourself off that hill,” She pointed at it. “Then I’m going to be so terrified for you, but it’s going to happen ‘cause you wanna do it. I’m also gonna be proud of you if you survive it, I mean there’s a ditch on the other side…” Jake frowned. “What I’m saying is just…go.” She stepped out of the way and waved her hand. “Just feel the bike under you, the speed, the wind through the helmet, the power of the throttle in your hand and fucking go!”

“What are you? A fortune cookie?” Jake laughed at her.

“Just go!” She laughed stomping her foot at him playfully.

Jake groaned, this had bad idea written all over it but he did as told and just took off, trying not to think about where to go.