Let the Walls Break Down

She Doesn't Even Remember Me!

Todd and I have been at the hospital every day since Kirstie’s little… accident. She’s been out for five days now. I feel so sorry for Josh. He’s been staying at our place since it’s just a little closer to the hospital than his house and we all commute together. It doesn’t make it any easier for him.

Today, Kirstie’s family came in. They looked so worried; I could have cried. But instead, I shared hugs with them as did Todd and Josh before we went into her room.

She was still lying there, motionless. The only movement she had was the slight motion of her chest moving up and down. I hated seeing my best friend like this. Just the sight made tears gloss over my eyes. Todd noticed and slung his arm around me, pulling me against him tightly.

We all pulled up a chair around the bed and watched… like we have been for the past five days. Nothing’s changed. I sat on Todd’s lap and rested my head on his shoulder. He kissed my forehead and rubbed my back gently while whispering sweet little nothing’s into my ear to make me smile and feel a little better.

I glanced back up at Kirstie and noticed something. I shot up so that I could get a better look. Her eyes were twitching! I rushed over to her bed just as her eyes opened.

“KIRSTIE, YOU’RE AWAKE!” I squealed and gave her a tight hug.

Her family quickly followed suit. Josh went to give her a hug and Kirstie looked at him oddly, but that didn’t stop him from kissing her.

“Aw, baby, I’m so glad you’re ok,” he said to her.

“EW! Who are you?” she asked with a disgusted look on her face.

“Kirstie, it’s me… Josh,” he pushed out.

“I don’t know anyone named Josh,” she replied, making us all look at her with wide eyes.

“Kirstie, he’s your boyfriend,” her brother, Shaun, spoke up.

“I don’t have a boyfriend,” she stated, making the look in Josh’s eyes flush with a sign of hurt.

“Yes, you do. It’s me,” Josh mumbled out.

Before any of us could say anything, a doctor walked in with a handful of papers. His eyes wondered around the room until they fell on Kirstie. The doctor went on to explain to what happened to her. At the mention of her head injury, she looked so confused.

“You crashed in a motocross race and the bike hit you,” I explained.

“So, why does she remember Kylee and not me?” Josh sighed out, showing his frustration.

As the doctor explained what was going on, I went over and stood next to Josh, rubbing his back just like Todd did to me minutes before. He sighed and put his head in his hands.

“… in her case, it looks like she’s forgotten them from a certain point,” the doctor said.

“It looks likes that point was before she met me,” Josh sighed, making me frown. The poor guy. But then a thought came to me…

“Do you remember him?” I asked, removing my hand from Josh to put my other on Todd’s shoulder.

“The homeless guy?” she asked, making everyone laugh including Todd.

“I’m married to him. You were my maid of honor,” I told her after our laughter died down.

“I thought you told me you weren’t dating anymore of those types of guys?” she questioned, a little confused.

“Todd’s different, but you and him tease each other all the time, but you loved each other. He bought you a puppy after you came home from Europe,” I tried to jog her memory.

I have a puppy?” she asked, starting to get excited. Well, at least she hadn’t lost that. “I went to Europe? Oh man, I’m so confused,” she sighed.

“Ugh, this is all my fault,” Josh sighed while standing up to walk over to the window.

“No, it’s not. This could have happened to anyone,” Kirstie’s mom softly said while rubbing his back.

“No, it is my fault. I’m the one that made Kirstie race; she even said she didn’t want to, but I told her to do it for me and so she raced and it’s all my fault,” he said, while leaving the room, obviously upset.

“I’ll go talk to him,” I got out as I stood and followed Josh’s route.

When I got out of the room, I couldn’t find him. GREAT. But once I scanned over the area quickly, I spotted that short frame that belonged to JG. He was walking towards the exit. Nu uh, Joshie. You’re staying right here.

“Josh,” I called out to him once I was closer.

He didn’t turn around and I knew he heard me. Little butthead, I’m trying to help here!

“Joshua,” I yelled this time, making other’s look.

I saw his face turn red before he turned around to face me. I hah to smile. That got his attention.

“What?” he asked through gritted teeth.

“Chill out,” I said through a smile. He sighed and ran his hands through his hair that wasn’t its usual spiky self. “Come on, Josh,” I said softly while tugging on his arm to go outside.

We stood out there for a few minutes without saying anything. I honestly didn’t know what to say to him to make him feel better. What do you say to someone in this situation? So, I did what I would want in this situation… I pulled him into a hug.

His breathing started to be a little shallower, making me hold him tighter. He did eventually hold onto me back.

“It will be ok, Josh,” I said to him gently while rubbing his back.

“Why did I do his to her?” he asked with his voice muffled from being pressed against my shoulder.

“Shh, Josh you didn’t do anything. It was an accident and she’s fine. We just have to work on some things,” I tried soothing him.

“No, it won’t. She doesn’t even remember me,” he shouted while pulling away from me.

“So, you’re just going to be like this and feel sorry for yourself?” I shot at him, getting frustrated, fast.

“What else is there to do?” he mumbled, obviously not wanting me to hear him.

“You could try and help get her memory back. You know, since you’re one of the things she doesn’t remember,” I countered with… not the best attitude.

He just sighed and rubbed his hands over his face. I had to take a second and let my own sigh out. I can’t be this frustrated when I’m trying to calm him down.

“We’ll get through this, Josh. You just have to have patience,” I said while hugging him once again.

He nodded his head and stepped away slowly while wiping his eyes. Aw, Josh… I hate seeing guys all emotional. I put my arm around him and we both walked back to Kirstie’s room. Her whole family and Todd were all crowded around. I stepped next to Todd and Josh kind of stayed back a little.

“I’m sorry I don’t remember you,” Kirstie whispered while looking up at Josh.

“I’m going to help you remember…” Josh started. It made me smile. Something finally got through to him… and I said it! Wow, this is a first!

Everyone went on to say a few more things. Josh and Todd switched places. After they did that, Todd and I stepped out of the room. Once we did, he pulled me into a tight hug. It made me smile.

“Are you ok?” I asked, loving his actions, but worrying that something wasn’t right with him.

“I was just thinking of how crazy I would go if that was you…” he sighed while holding me tighter.

“Believe me, Todd, I could never forget this face,” I teased while pulling back to pinch is scruffy cheek.

His big white smile came over him before he bent down and left a gentle kiss on my lips. It made me smile. I would smile even more if Kirstie came bursting out of her room to pull Todd into a hug. I’d even settling for her calling him a bear right now! But… looks like we got some memory searching to do. I hope this comes easily.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo.. Kirstie and I finished this story today.. we got a lot of writing done :D
i think she even started the sequel to this one... its gonna be good! haha

Ky & Todd

comment pretty please :D or like the set.. that's always an option.... lol