Status: Rewriting. New chapters will be added soon!

Shadows, Sails and Pirate Tales

Chapter Seven

"Young Mr Turner and I are to go ashore." Jack told Gibbs.

"What about me?" Dette cried.

"No," Will and Jack said, simultaneously.

"Why?" She asked

"It's too dangerous," Will said, "And I don't want you near him,"

"Aye, what he said," Jack said, "Except the last bit,"

Dette huffed and crossed her arms, as she watched Will and Jack climb into a boat.

"Don't ye worry lass," Gibbs assured her, "They'll be fine,"

"I hope so," Dette mumbled.

She turned and returned to the cabin.

Dette laid back on the bed her and Jack had been sharing for the past few days. It had been the best time of her life. She was the one in control. It was just Dette, there was no Elizabeth, no over powering father, and Will was there the whole time. Dette had never had such a good time, despite being the youngest daughter of the governor of Port Royal. She was always being compared to Elizabeth, her elder sister. It was hard enough being constantly being compared to a beautiful, ladylike sister, but seeing Will, someone she considered as a brother, looked down upon because he was not of the same social rank.

As she grew up, she became less and less ladylike, her contempt of being always compared to her ladylike sister driving this change. She and Will had always been close. When Will was taken on the boat to Port Royal. Elizabeth looked after him, and cared for him. Although they stayed on good terms when they reached their destination, she was not as interested in Will. Dette, not having many people to talk to, always visited him, and they were firm friends for many years. Dette saw him grow from a small, quiet, young boy into a strong, caring man. In a way she was proud of him. Will had never met his father, who was a sailor at sea, but Jack had told them that he was actually a pirate, and lived with his mother, up until she died. He came to Port Royal in search of his father. Dette always saw him as a brother. He taught her so much, and at the age of 15, began teaching her to handle swords. Dette always knew Will was in love with her sister. She could tell by the way he talked to her, about her. She knew by the way she acted around him, and the way he looked at her.

It hurt her to see her father and sister treat him as if he were lower than them. To tell the truth, when the black pearl arrived at port royal, she didn't know who she was more worried about, Will or her family. All the boys had always preferred Elizabeth, which Dette thought was unfair; she was just as pretty. Then there was Jack.

Where to begin. Jack had changed her preconceptions about pirates. His rugged good looks, his charming smile, his unique personality. And for once he had seen her sister, and still preferred Dette. He winked at her when he was in the arms of her sister. He was so brave, so quick-thinking. She knew, from the moment that she saw him, that she would like him. And now she was falling for him, even though Will had warned her against it. He said Jack didn't love her, but the way Jack acted toward her, she couldn't believe Will. Sure, they didn't have the best start, she embarrassed herself, she was scared of him, she even insulted him! But he hadn't held it against her, well not to her knowledge anyway.

But still Dette was uneasy. Everything would change once Elizabeth was aboard. Elizabeth would go home, be safe with father, and where would Dette be? She'd be stuck in her sister's shadow again. Will would be stuck in his profession, pining for the love he could never have. And Jack? She didn't even want to think what would be done to him. But that was if Elizabeth came aboard, If Will and Jack managed to get back. What would she do if they didn't get back? With this thought she sat upright. She'd thought she had just been thinking, but she had been asleep. So much could have happened since she entered the cabin.

Dette jumped up, her pulse racing. Running out of the cabin, she called for Gibbs.

"Yes Ma'am?" He said, rushing to her side, "What be the matter?"

"How long was I in the cabin?" Dette asked him, agitated.

"A while ma'am, A good few hours," Gibbs replied.

"Any sign of Will? Jack?"

"No Ma'am, None yet," Gibbs said gravely.

Dette put her head in her hands. "Will, Jack..."

From behind her, she heard a loud noise.

"Welcome aboard, Miss Elizabeth." She heard Gibbs say.

Dette spun around, her eyes huge. She saw Will jump over the edge of the boat, and running toward him, gave him a huge hug.

"Bernadette?" Elizabeth gasped, "What are you doing here?"

"I came here with Will," Dette replied.

"Hey, boy, where be Jack?" Gibbs asked Will.

"Jack? Jack Sparrow?" Elizabeth said, shocked.

"Yes," Dette replied, "Where is he Will?"

"He fell behind," Will said unemotionally, leading Elizabeth away.

"Keep to the code," Gibbs sighed.

"No!" Dette cried, "Don't! Will you have to help Jack!"

Will shook his head, as her sister reprimanded her. "Do calm down Bernadette, you are over-reacting,"

Dette shot a look at Elizabeth.

"It be a good thing looks cannot kill," Gibbs whispered to Cotton.

Dette, upset and angry, turned on her heel and stomped to the captain's cabin. Collapsing onto the bed, she burst into tears.

"Weigh anchor! Hoist the sails! Make quickly, divvies." She heard Anamaria call.

She lay back on the bed, tears flowing down her face. Pausing for a second, she realised she could hear her sister and Will talking.

"What sort of a man trades a man's life for a ship?" Elizabeth said.

"Pirate. Here. Let me." Will replied. What were they doing? Bandaging up Elizabeth's hand no doubt. She mustn't get ill, Poor Darling Elizabeth. Dette thought sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

"You said you gave Barbossa my name as yours. Why?" Will asked Elizabeth.

"I don't know." Elizabeth said quietly.

"Elizabeth." Will said, about to tell her how he felt.

"It's yours." Elizabeth interrupted, as Dette heard a rattling of a chain.

"I thought I'd lost it the day they rescued me. It was a gift from my father. He sent it to me. Why did you take it?" Will asked. Dette could tell that Will was angry, but he was trying not to show it.

"Because I was afraid that you were a pirate. That would have been awful." Elizabeth mumbled.

"It wasn't your blood they needed. It was my father's blood, my blood, the blood of a pirate." Will said angrily slamming his hand down on a desk.

"Will, I'm so sorry, please forgive me." Elizabeth pleaded, but in a few moments, Dette heard footsteps leaving the room they were in.

Dette, after hearing a lot of noise, came up on deck.

"Hands aloft to loose t'gallants! With this wind at her stern, she'll carry every sail we've got." Gibbs cried.

Looking out to sea, Dette saw a ship following them. "Jack?"

"What's happening?" Elizabeth asked rushing over to Gibbs.

"The Black Pearl, she's gaining on us." Gibbs replied, rushing around the deck.

"This is the fastest ship in the Caribbean!" Elizabeth cried.

"And that's a pirate ship moron," Dette drawled, getting a shocked look from her sister.

"You can tell them that after they've caught us." Anamaria said to Elizabeth, obviously thinking the same thing as Dette.

"We're shallow on the draft, right?" Elizabeth asked Anamaria.

"Here we go," Dette whispered to herself, "Elizabeth takes control again,"

"Aye," Anamaria replied, looking puzzled.

"Well, then can't we lose them amongst those shoals?" Elizabeth asked Gibbs.

"We don't have to outrun them long, just long enough." Gibbs cried, "Anything that we can afford to lose, see that it's lost."

Will now appeared on deck, and Dette turning to him asked him if he was alright. Will smiled at her, and replied that he was okay. He turned and saw the Black Pearl. Upon seeing a pirate about to push a cannon off the boat, he called out to them. "We're gonna need that!"

"We're gonna have to fight," Dette said to Will.

"Gibbs ! We have to make a stand. We must fight! Load the guns!" Will called to Gibbs.

"Load the guns! Take shot and langrage. Nails and crushed glass! With a will! The Pearl is going to luff up on our port quarter. She'll rake us without ever presenting a target." Gibbs cried as the Pearl gained speed.

"Why don't we-" Dette began,

"Lower the anchor on the right side. On the starboard side!" Elizabeth cried to Gibbs and Will.

"It certainly has the element of surprise," Will told Gibbs.

"You're daft, lady! You both are!" Anamaria told Elizabeth and Will.

"Daft like Jack ! Lower the starboard anchor! Do it, ye dogs, or it's you we'll load into the cannons!" Gibbs cried, as the anchor was lowered.

"Her daft like Jack? Don't insult him," Dette spat angrily to herself.

"Bernadette!" Elizabeth cried, "Will you help?"

"Keep us steady," Will called.

"Fire all!" Elizabeth shouted to the crew.

"We could use a few more ideas, lass." Gibbs said, turning to Elizabeth.

"Your turn," She replied.

"We'll give them her." Anamaria said, pointing her pistol at Elizabeth.

"She's not what they're after," Will said, looking at Elizabeth.

Elizabeth looked down at her chest and gasped. "The medallion!"

Will, running away at speed, went below to search for it.

The fighting continued, and suddenly, the mast was severed by a large blast, and fell, trapping Will.

Dette, jumping out of the way of the falling mast, fell backwards. Knocking into someone who had just landed on the boat, she spun around, sword drawn.

"Jack!" She cried, hugging him.

"Bloody empty," Jack said, passing Gibbs his canteen. "Are you okay?" He asked Dette.

"Yes, I'm-" Dette began, but stopped when she saw her sister appear at her side.

"That's not very nice. Where's the medallion?" Jack said, turning to Elizabeth.

"Wretch!" Elizabeth shouted, attempting to slap Jack.

Jack, catching her wrist, looked at her. "Ah, Where's dear William?"

"Will!" Elizabeth cried, running over to a grate he was trapped under.

"Elizabeth!"

"Monkey!" Jack shouted, chasing after a monkey which was holding the medallion.

Dette, spinning around, began to fight a pirate who had appeared at her side.

Turning to see Will struggling to escape the grate, which was rapidly filling up with water, Dette was struck on the arm, and disarmed.

Having been largely outnumbered, the crew were lead onto the Black Pearl, as Dette struggled against the pirate holding her wrist.

"Will is still aboard," She said, angrily kicking the pirate, who merely laughed at her.

"If any of you as much as thinks the word parley, I'll have your guts for garters." Pintel threatened.

Dette and Elizabeth screamed loudly as the interceptor was blown up. "Will!"