Status: thanks for reading/commenting/subscribing!----check out the sequel summary>>>>>>

Cutting Out Paper Hearts

chapter two

May 09, 2005
Today was my birthday, my tenth birthday. It was the happiest I’d ever been because, for once, I was going to have my aunt and cousin over to spend it with me. My two best friends as well would be spending the whole day with me, even the night. It was how I thought all my other birthdays before were supposed to be like. Family, friends, presents, and cake. I’d be smiling and laughing with everyone. It’d be…memorable.

Denny was going to be nice to be the whole day as his gift to me. Ever since, my fifth birthday-and the day the Barnes’ family left-he’d been the typical older brother. The kind that picks on you and puts you down, but sometimes has his moments. We’ve fought more since then too.

The first person to come over had been June Matthews, one of my best friends. We met in first grade when we were reading books via tapes and headphones. She had curly light brown hair that ended at her mid-back, pale skin that never tanned, green eyes, and she was taller than me.

The second person was Madisyn Howe, my other best friend. I met her in second grade when we were an art project, then I introduced her to June and we’d been inseparable since. Madisyn always made me laugh when I was sad. She was identical to June only with blue eyes and blond hair so light it was nearly white. Madisyn, too, was taller than me. Everyone seemed to be taller than me.

Hours had passed, I spent the whole times watching random movies and playing stupid un-winnable board games with June and Madisyn. Mom and Dad ended up having to stay later for work because of some customer who wouldn’t agree with them. Denny spent the whole time in the living room with us, watching TV and getting us snacks at times. He was the only person from my family that didn’t let me down that birthday. My aunt and cousin never came, but they did call and wished me a great birthday two days later. They claimed to have gotten the date wrong, but I could sense it was a lie.

Around nine on my birthday, Denny came and sat in my bed with me. I couldn’t sleep and June and Madisyn had went into the bathroom to brush their teeth. He hugged me, telling me he was sorry everyone hadn’t been there.

“It’s the anniversary.” He mumbled against my hair with a sigh. I asked him what it was the anniversary for. June and Madisyn’s laughter echoed from the bathroom to my room, making me feel sick. “They left five years ago.” I shoved him off my bed, threw the covers over my head, and ignored his angry words.

Thanks for rubbing it in, Denny. Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me.

I still miss Roydon, my missing best friend, but a lot less than I did the day they left
♠ ♠ ♠
so the first two chapters were kind of boring but it gets way better, this just tells you a little about what happened and the next chapter is in present time. thanks for reading :)