Status: On Hold

Friendship is Another Word for Love

Chapter 20

Home sweet home was all I could think as Alyssa, Jazmynn and I pulled up to my childhood home in Buffalo, New York. My smile got just a bit bigger when I saw that Erica and her boyfriend were here and I also spotted Jessica’s car, so I knew she was back from school. Alyssa looked at me with the same smile that I knew was on my face. She was just as excited as I was to be here.

The three of us made our way inside and were greeted with hugs and smiles. Even though we saw each other a couple of weeks ago in Philly and then back in Chicago, it was nice seeing everyone together again. Erica introduced Alyssa to Cooper and Jazmynn was passed between her aunts.

“How was your flight?” My mom asked, giving me a tight hug.

“It was good.”

“That’s good.” She turned to Alyssa. “Alyssa dear, you get prettier every time I see you. Has Patrick been behaving?”

Alyssa chuckled and wrapped her arm around my waist. I loved the fact that she wasn’t afraid to show some PDA, she was proud of me and I was proud of her. “He’s been on his best behavior.”

“I’m glad to hear that. He treating you and your wonderful daughter well?”

“He’s been amazing, I don’t think I could ask for more.” She smiled and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. That’s when my mom saw it.

She quickly grabbed Alyssa’s hand and stared at it for a second before saying or doing anything. Soon tears filled her eyes and she looked at Alyssa and then at me. I nodded and she quickly wrapped both of us in a hug.

“Sweetheart, what’s going on?” dad asked, coming into the living room.

I looked at Alyssa and she gave me a nod. “Dad, everyone, Alyssa and I have some news for you guys. We’re engaged.”

I winced when my three sisters squealed and began jumping up and down. I was pushed out of the way as the three of them checked out the ring. Dad and Cooper were standing by the sliding glass door, so I joined them.

“Congratulations Patrick.” Cooper said, shaking my hand. “You two seem really in love.”

“We are.” I nodded. “Thanks, Cooper.”

“Come on, let’s go outside.” My dad said, handing Cooper and I beers and leading us out onto the back patio. “You look happy, son.”

“I am, dad. I really am.” I bit my lip and looked at my dad. “You guys approve right?” I needed to know because family was a big thing to Alyssa and I didn’t want my parents hating her just because we were engaged. I knew they liked her, but that was as my best friend, not my soon to be wife.

Dad placed his beer down and gave me the most serious look I’ve seen on his face in a long time. “Pat, your mother and I could not have asked for a better girl for you. Alyssa is a great girl, she’s good for you, and most of all she loves you.” He leaned back in his chair and I released a breath I didn’t know I was even holding. “Plus,” he smiled. “We knew it was going to happen eventually. I think your mom actually won the bet though.”

I laughed and took a sip of my own beer. My parents approved. That was a huge weight off of my shoulders. Now to just tell them about the baby. We sat in the sun and talked, I got to know Cooper a little bit more since he and Erica have only been dating for six months, I haven’t gotten to talk to him all that much. I tried to play the cliché role of a big brother, but I knew it wasn’t going to be necessary because he was a great guy.

“Patrick,” My dad said after we fell silent. “When is she due?” He asked nonchalantly. I just stared at him. How did he know? He only saw Alyssa for no more than five minutes before we came out here. “Wondering how I knew?” He asked, reading my mind. I just simply nodded, unable to speak.

“Patrick, I’ve been through four pregnancies with your mother. I think I know when a woman is pregnant.”

Amazed, I just stared at my father and took a sip of my beer. “Amazing. She’s due around January.”

Cooper smiled and clasped me on the back. “Then I guess this is double congratulations. That’s great, man.”

“Thanks.” I looked at my dad. “What are you wondering now, old man?”

He chuckled. “Nothing, just figuring that you two conceived after the first round of playoffs, didn’t you?”

I shook my head, amazed once again. “Actually after the first playoff game

“Well, like Cooper said, you deserve a double congratulations. I’m happy for you, son.”

“Thanks, dad.”

Just then the sliding door opened and everyone else joined us on the deck. Erica sat on Cooper’s lap and Alyssa did the same with me. I wrapped my arms around her waist and smiled when she leaned further back.

“Dad knows.” I whispered, placing a kiss on her shoulder.

She laughed. “How?”

“He guessed, right down to the night we conceived.” I chuckled.

“Amazing. Should we tell everyone else now then?”

“It’s up to you.”

She bit her lip and I knew she was considering it. I really didn’t care when we told everyone, we had plenty of time before we needed to tell them.

“What are you two whispering about over there?” Jackie asked.

“None of your business.” I retorted.

“Mature Pat.” Erica chuckled.

I smiled, this is what I missed during the season., time with my family. Sure they came to Chicago to visit and the team even started a Father’s trip this past season, but it wasn’t the same. I was always looking forward to the off season because I got to spend time with my family and friends, but this time it was so much better because I had Alyssa and Jazmynn with me.

“Alyssa, would you like a glass of wine?” My mom asked, walking out onto the deck with a bottle and three glasses.

Alyssa smiled. “No thank you.”

“Come on, one glass isn’t going to hurt you.” she smiled

“I can’t drink right now.”

“Oh.” Mom said, giving Alyssa a weird look.

“I can’t drink because I’m pregnant.” Alyssa announced.

My mom froze in her spot and my sisters all just stared at the two of us sitting there. Jackie was the first one to react.

“When did this happen?” she asked.

I chuckled as Alyssa blushed. “April.”

Jessica laughed. “Playoffs? Really Pat?”

My mom once again had tears in her eyes. “You’re due in January?” She asked, clearing having done the math in her head.

Alyssa nodded and I squeezed her waist again. Everyone wished us congratulations and my sisters fought over who was going to be the best aunt to the baby. For the rest of the afternoon we all sat outside and just talked. Jazmynn ended up falling asleep in Jessica’s arms, so I put her up in my room. When I came back downstairs, my mom was in the kitchen getting dinner ready.

“Do you need help mom?” I asked, leaning against the island.

“Not right now, but I could use the company.” She smiled over her shoulder.

“Of course.” I hopped on the counter and waited for my mom to talk to me. “What’s up mom?”

She took a deep breath. “So Alyssa is pregnant?”

I nodded before answering. Was she going to lecture me? “Yeah, she is. I’m so excited.”

“Is the engagement because she’s pregnant and you’re trying to do the right thing?”

I sighed, I knew something was bothering her. I jumped off the counter and stood next to my mom. “No it’s not. She told me she was pregnant after I proposed. I love Alyssa, mom. I have for a while, pretty much since we’ve become friends.” I kissed my mom’s cheek. “Don’t worry mom, we both want this.”

My mom turned around and wrapped me in a tight hug. “You have grown up into such a wonderful man, Patrick. I am so proud of you. Not just for winning the Stanley Cup, but for everything you’ve done this past year. You adopted a little girl, you’re engaged, and have a baby on the way. I love you so much Patrick.”

I hugged my mom. “I love you too, mom. Thank you for being there for me through everything too. I really do appreciate it, even if I don’t always show it. I do.”

Mom pulled away and wiped away a few tears. “Look what you did!” She exclaimed with a chuckle. I laughed as well and hugged her again.

After talking to my mom for a few more minutes, I went back outside. Jackie was hounding my dad about something, Erica was talking quietly with Cooper, and Jessica was talking to Alyssa. I walked over to them and wrapped my arms around my sister.

“What are you two talking about?” I asked

Jessica tilted her head back and smiled at me. “The wedding.”

I rolled my eyes. “Already? We’ve only been engaged for a week.”

Alyssa laughed. “Hey, it’s better to start now then stressing out about everything.”

“Yeah, Pat. Plus, Lys can’t get too stressed out with the baby.” Erica chimed in.

“Whatever.” I chuckled. “I actually can’t wait to start planning the wedding.” I admitted. .

Alyssa smiled up at me. “Me either.”

“You two are just too cute.” Jackie gushed.

“Shut up.” I whined.

“Where’s your mom?” Alyssa asked, when I took a seat next to her.

“Cooking dinner and Jaz is asleep in my room.”

She nodded and laid her head on my shoulder and I wrapped my arm around her, pulling her closer to me. My sisters continued to ask questions about the wedding and I knew Alyssa was keeping ideas that they were tossing around in her head. I didn’t care what the wedding looked like, just as long as my friends and family were there and I was marrying Alyssa. But I knew that Alyssa wanted a nice wedding and I would give it to he, hell I’d get married at the courthouse if she wanted to. I just couldn’t wait to have her as my wife.

Later that night, Alyssa and I were laying in my bed talking quietly, that way we didn’t wake Jazmynn who was sleeping soundly on the floor.

“Are you happy to be home?” Alyssa asked quietly, her head resting on my chest.

I nodded before answering. “I am, I’ve missed everyone.”

“I’m glad, I’ve missed them too.”

“They missed you as well. This is going to be a fun trip.” I yawned.

I felt more than heard Alyssa chuckle. “Get some sleep, Pat. You know someone is going to stop by tomorrow.”

I leaned down and kissed her forehead. “Good night, babe.”

“Mm, ‘night.’ She said, already drifting to sleep. I rested my hand on Alyssa’s growing stomach and sighed, I had the perfect little family coming together and I couldn’t be happier. Nothing was going to change that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late update guys. I'm back at school and I wanted to update before I got too busy because this semester is going to be crazy for me.

I have to say, I loved "Super Kane" at the Skills Compeition. Those glasses on him are my new favorite thing ;) lol.

Comment! <3