Status: Active

Remember Me

Back

Five years had passed since I’d last seen Laura. I’m now twenty four and my daughter is seven. I live for her, nothing else just Lily. She’s my life and nothing will take her away from me.

“Mom!” She yelled as she ran up to me after finishing her first day back at school.

I bent down and hugged her “Hello princess.”

She smiled “Can I have some ice-cream?”

“After dinner…I promise.”

“Yay!” She jumped up and started running towards the car.

“Wait!” I yelled following her, “Be careful!”

“Quick mom!”

“I’m hurrying I’m hurrying.” I rolled my eyes unlocking the car and she bounded in the back strapping herself in.

“You’re getting good at that my princess.” I shut the door and got in starting the car after pulling on my seatbelt.

“I know mom…”

“What have you done today?” I asked pulling out onto the road.

“I did numbers and spelling…I can spell hello…”

“Really?”

“Yeah mom…I’ll do it…” She started spelling out the word, “H.E.L.L.O.”

I smiled as I parked the car in our drive way “That’s amazing.” I got out of the car and let her out smiling. She jumped out and ran up the front path. As she did so I shut the car door and turned around to see somebody I hadn’t seen in five years. Laura was stood there holding a little girl’s hand. She had changed a lot and I was on the verge of crying.

“L-Laura?” Tears rolled down my cheeks.

“Mom?” Lily called walking up to me holding my hand.

“Mom’s o-okay Lily g-go inside.”

“Ok mom.” She ran back up the path walking into the house.

“Hello Crystal.” Laura still had her English accent.

“H-Hi.”

“How have you been?”

“Lonely.”

“I’m sorry Crystal…I was horrible…I shouldn’t have left you.”

I sighed “You didn’t text…you didn’t call…you didn’t even send me a letter.”

“I know…I’m sorry.”

“Yeah well…”

“I’m sorry…really I am.”

“You have a new life now so it doesn’t even matter.”

“It does…you’re my best friend.”

“Oh so I still am your best friend after five years without any sort of communication?”

“Yes…I said I was sorry.”

“Five years Laura…Five years.” Tears gathered in my eyes again.

“I know…”

I looked at the little girl “And who’s this?”

She turned around trying to hide in her mother’s leg “This is Emily…” Laura smiled stroking her daughters head, “Its okay Emily…this nice lady is mommy’s friend.”

I smiled “I remember when your mommy was pregnant with you.”

Emily looked at me. I knew she was scared because she had never met me before and all little girls were like that.

“It’s okay Emily…you can talk,” Laura looked at me, “She’s shy.”

I shook my head “It doesn’t matter…Lily’s like that.”

She smiled slightly “So how’s life? Got a boyfriend?”

I shook my head “No…and its okay I suppose. How’s your life with Pierre?”

“Great…we’re engaged.”

I sighed and looked down “That’s great.”

“You mean it?”

“Yes.”

“I’m sorry…I know this was your dream.”

I shrugged “I’m never going to be completely happy so it doesn’t even matter.”

“Of course it does…you deserve to be happy…you’ve been through so much sh-rubbish.”

I laughed slightly at how she carefully changed her words “Yeah well…I’m not exactly the greatest person in the world am?”

“You are to me.”

“Yeah well you haven’t kept in contact so it doesn’t feel like that.”

“I said I was sorry.”

“I know I’m sorry…come in.” I walked up the path and into the house with Laura following me. I walked through the front door sighing.

“Do you want a drink?”

“Yes please…tea.”

I nodded “And what would Emily like?”

“Juice.” Emily blurted out and I laughed.

“Okay.” With that said I walked into the kitchen to make our drinks making Lily one too knowing she’d want one.