Sequel: My Father, My Brother

Lullaby And Goodnight

Home Is Where The Heart Is

I glanced at Frank, My heart racing at a hundred beats a minute. I was frozen to the spot in fear. I finally managed to move and raced to the bathroom door, the other two right behind me.

"Sorry, Medicines fell." Rachael looked up at us guiltily. I sighed and lent against the bathroom wall while I got my breath back. I helped her pick up the spilled tablets and first aid kits and put them back in the cabinet. She smiled at me and let me help her to the kitchen.

"Here. I'm making you something to eat. No objections." She sat down without a fight and let me cook her a fry up. Sausage, Beans, Bacon, Egg, Black pudding and toast. She looked at the plate in front of her with a savage hunger in her eyes, her tongue dragged over her bottom lip slightly. I had never seen someone look so frightened while eating a meal. She kept glancing terrified at the kitchen door whenever she heard the slightest noise. What had that guy been doing to her? I sat with her in the kitchen, making us all a mug of steamy hot chocolate with marshmallows. Frankie and Mikey soon joined us and joined in on the small conversations we were having. Thankfully, Rachael didn't mention mine and Frankie's failed relationship and listened to us talking quietly eating her way slowly through the food on her plate. Once she had finished I made her stay in her seat for about an hour, just so she couldn't go and be sick.

"Hey Roach...Why don't you come on tour with us for a while? Get away from here. Tell Jake your going on holiday with your mom or something." She nodded with enthusiasm and obeyed my command of telling her to pack her stuff.

"We'll pick you up tomorrow. Rachael, go to bed after packing, act ill, stay in bed, then maybe Jake wont attack you. Don't tell him until you've actually gone. I'll pick you up tomorrow babe!" I yelled, closing the door and rushing to Matt's with Frank and Mikey to tell him we had a roadie. I was quite excited. I'd get her back to health. I'd feed her up and treat her right. Then break up with Jake for her, move her in with me and keep her safe till she had a decent guy...maybe me. I still loved Rachael, and was more than willing to nurse her back to health.

Matt and Ray were thrilled we had an on board fan. They said having a roadie would be more fun. I knew what Matt's idea of fun was, and he wasn't getting it from Rachael either. Mikey had invited Frank to stay at Helena's with us tonight so I dropped us all back there.

A wonderful sound filled my ears when that door was open. A high pitched, girls scream. I grinned widely and crouched down with my arms out stretched, greeting the little girl rushing towards me. Ellie May threw herself into my arms and giggled as I lifted her up and spun her round, hugging her tight and resting my hand on the back of her pretty blond hair. Her dazzling blue eyes sparkled with joy as she grinned at me with those tiny pearly whites. Her cute freckles dotted her nose and her little yellow dress blew while I spun her.

"Gee Gee!" She yelled with a sloppy, wet kiss on my cheek."

"Hey baby angel! How's my little baby girl been?" I balanced her on my hip and carried her back into the kitchen while she told me all about her day at school. Her beautiful face lit up with each finger paining she showed me, which were all surprisingly well done. My mom laughed at my enthusiasm to play with her while Frank and Mikey brought their bags in. My mom hugged me and kissed my cheek, like mothers tend to do. I held Ellie May's tiny hand in my pinkie while she listened quietly to me telling mom about our plans with Rachael. Mikey and Frank had gone upstairs a while ago.

"Gerard? Oh for the love of Christ you come to my house and don't even give me a god damn hug! Get here!" Helena's arms wrapped tightly around me and I set Ellie May to the floor, while I hugged and kissed Helena. I never thought of these people as my adoptive family anymore. This were my real family. Home is where the heart is, not where the blood lies. Besides, my family no longer existed.

*Flash Back*

"Oh Gerard, this came for you today." Donna passed me a small but thick white envelope with my name on it. It looked very formal. I peeled open the seal carefully, I hated ripping and wasting paper. Carefully, my eyes scanned the small, handwritten letter before me.

"Dear Mr. Carter

We understand you are now under the care of Mr. and Mrs. Way, owners of The Way orphanage. You have previously been told that we were searching for relatives for you to legally stay with before care homes were organized for you. We regret to inform you the family you had remaining have all passed on. It is our sad duty to tell you there have recently been a mass murder throughout the Carter family, in which there are no survivors excluding yourself and your younger sibling Michael James Carter, who will also receive a letter similar to this one. We are terribly sorry for your loss sir. The government have given the Way's custody of you both until permanent homes can be found.
Your's sincerely
Mr. James. L. Haltings."

I screwed up the letter and tossed it aside. Rushing from the room before my tears were seen. I'd never loved my family, but to be told by letter everyone of my blood relatives, besides my brother, were dead, is not something you want to hear. I had to come out though, once I heard the baby crying. That poop bag was getting on my nerves. I stormed downstairs to its crib and looked over, about ready to push the crib over and leave it. That's when I saw her face for the first time. That cute little kid that stopped crying as she saw my and smiled up at me. I smiled back and my heart melted at her gorgeous eyes. I lifted her out and held her close and tight.


I snapped out of my vision and looked at the little six year old crouched on the floor, rambling on about how fluffy rabbits tails are. I grinned with a tear in my eye and dropped to my knees, welcoming the hug she threw at me. This was my family, this was my home, and this was the start of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yet another boring update. Next one is quite big though so yeah. Comment and I'll love you. You guys used to be so excellent at great feedback, but everything seems to be slacking around here, including my awful writing. So comments would be very much appreciated thanks!