Don't Hold This War Inside

Oh, Simple Thing, Where Have You Gone?

"Why isn't she awake?" Jasper asked for the thousandth time since they'd returned to Forks, or rather since the surviving vampires, wolves, and witches had dispersed.

"They hadn't gotten to me yet. They'd completely drained George. He was dead when you got there. But, Caroline...they took %75 of her venom from her body. The only venom remaining in her body is located in her head and it is barely enough for her to stay alive." Carlisle explained sadly.

"How do we get more for her?" Jasper asked as if it wasn't a big deal.

"We can't. She would have to be bitten again, turned again, if you will. But the pain will be much greater and there is a great chance that her body will reject the change this time." Carlisle said.

"I can't. I won't." Jasper hissed.

"It is the only way. If you don't, she'll be stuck this way forever. Barely alive, stuck between life and death."

Jasper looked down and Carlisle swore that if he could, Jasper would be crying. His hand tightened around Caroline's limp, chalky one.

"Fine. But I'll be the one to do it. No one else." Jasper muttered.

Carlisle nodded softly. "When?"

Jasper was quiet before saying anything more. "Now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete

Oh simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jasper brought his mouth down upon Caroline's neck and felt her pain. She couldn't speak or scream. All she could do was open her eyes and mouth, both wide, without a single sound.

It was torture on its own.

Jasper pulled away and gazed into her eyes, pushing as much love and calm toward her with his powers as was possible. He held her in his arms, her eyes and mouth showing silent fear, terror, and pain.

"I am so, so sorry, my Caroline. So sorry." Jasper mumbled, kissing her forehead and pulling her closer to him.

A small moan came from her throat, so small it was barely heard.

"I am so sorry." Jasper cried, trying his damnedest to make her pain go away.

But it wouldn't go away.

It just wouldn't.
♠ ♠ ♠
Its short for a reason, guys.