Paranormal Trip

Chapter 9

The next day found Ryan at the pentagram again, this time without Claire. When he’d asked if she wanted to come up, she had said something about too many people but he had sensed nervousness in her voice. He almost felt like she was hiding something, but because he was as well, he felt that pressing wouldn’t get him anywhere. Instead he had met Michelle at the entrance with Katrina and Eilfie and had let them go alone up the stairs to the tower. He would face the tower later, but for now he was going to let them deal with it while he dealt with Claire.
When he found her she was outside and sitting on a bench. Her legs were swinging back and forth in a way that made her seem childlike. “Hey,” He said taking a seat beside her. Her brown eyes met his and she smiled.
“Hey,” She responded looking towards the building. “I thought you were going to get some insight into the pentagram with Michelle.” Claire said in a confused tone.
“I was, but I figured Eilfie and Katrina could do it, especially because I wanted to talk to you.” Claire’s eyes moved back to him and he could see some slight apprehension there.
“You want to know what I think about the pentagrams.” Claire said before focusing her attention over his shoulder. She looked grim, as if what she was being told wasn’t something she really wanted to hear, or something she really wanted to say.
“Peter told me last night that there was a portal open at one point in time.” She began slowly. “But the one in the cell was closed a long time ago but he doesn’t know how, only that it is closed. And I got that feeling too, evil is something I can feel and I didn’t feel it in that room.” Claire explained as Ryan turned his body more to face her. “But at the pentagram in the tower, I felt something. It wasn’t evil, it was almost cold I guess,” Claire said and Ryan could tell she was struggling for words. “It was like,” Claire just moved her hands in a way that made him think she didn’t know what to say. “I don’t even know what it was like. I know it made me uneasy and that the angels didn’t want to be around it. But beyond that, I don’t know what to tell you.” Claire said before turning her head again to look at the building. He could see that it made her uneasy, but he knew that if he took her off the case she’d kill him. So instead her just patted her knee before going inside leaving her to sit and stare at the place.

A few hours later Ryan stood at the pentagram with the warden asking questions about the thing. “So do you know how long this was boarded up?” Ryan asked hearing someone coming up the stairs. He turned his head to see Claire standing there, but from her expression she wasn’t going to come any closer.
“Well, I was here in seventy-five and I never saw it. My staff is the one that actually found this thing. They were up here and I think a piece of it had gotten wet or fallen off and they pulled it down and that’s when they actually discovered it.” The warden said as Ryan stared up at the wall. He could almost feel an uneasy feeling himself, but brushed it off as his imagination. Claire had felt it sure, but he wasn’t Claire. He wasn’t going to let this scare him. “That was done in the eighties,” The man continued and Ryan turned when he saw Claire take a step towards him and the pentagram. “When it was uncovered, there wasn’t much said, nobody did anything, they said ah well there’s a pentagram.” The man continued and Ryan just looked to Claire who had inched closer to them. “Okay well, my question was how did it get there. Since then we have asked for the history of it but it’s very vague, right now we don’t know of anybody who can give us the history on that.” Ryan stared at the piece a little longer a little startled when he saw Claire’s hand suddenly resting on the area beneath it.
“Obviously there is some,” Ryan said looking at the man, and trying to ignore how Claire kept putting her hand on it then pulling away. “new aged beliefs that use the pentagram but most practices that use the inverted pentagram are known as Satanists or devil worshippers.” Ryan said watching as Claire put her hand on it again before pulling away and checking her hand. Part of him wanted to ask what exactly she was doing, but he knew that if he did he might be opening a can of worms that needed to be closed right now.
“So I mean, have you ever heard of anybody here?” Ryan asked finally pulling on Claire’s hoodie to yank her away from the design. She scowled at him but she stayed by him at least.
“When you say anybody,” The warden began obviously not distracted by Claire and what she had been doing. “No, I this would have to be related to staff. I mean, an inmate didn’t put this here. This has to be related to staff, that’s how this thing had to get here. Design, purpose, you know, to get to the way that it’s set up. We have talked to several family members of wardens that lived here and the family members lived here. None of them to this point have been able to tell us that they saw this here.” Ryan frowned as he looked at the pentagram and then at Claire who seemed to be staring off into space.
“Really?” Ryan said looking at it again. He thought that someone would remember something like that, and he wondered how old it was. If it’s age had something to do with how Claire was feeling about it. Yet something about it had him worried, and he couldn’t shake that feeling.