Sequel: My Last Regret
Status: Completed - Sequel is up(:

I Need A Getaway

fourteen;

After a week went by, Jack went back home to spend some time with his family. I told him it would be good for him because, even though he wanted to spend the rest of the summer over at my place, we needed a day or so apart so I could get my thoughts together.

I was in my room alone one afternoon and I did nothing but stare at the ceiling. I had my door locked so no one could bother me because I wasn’t in the mood for anything. Occasionally, my mom knocked on my door to ask if I wanted something to eat, but I simply told her ‘not right now’ and she left it there.

I was going to miss everything in Baltimore. Everything. I was going to miss everyone at Dulaney; everything in this place. And most of all, I was going to miss Jack. Where would I be without him?

“Honey, may I come in please?” My mom knocked on the door suddenly and I shrugged.

“Not right now.”

“Please? I want to talk to you.” Her voice was soft and cautious. I rolled my eyes and got off the bed, unlocked my door, and backed up so she could come in.

“What do you want to-“ Before I could finish my sentence, my mom wrapped me in a hug. She sniffled.

“I’m so sorry. I don’t want you to leave.” She pulled away and I saw that there were tears in her eyes.

“Then you don’t have to send me. I’m more than glad to stay here.” I smiled and she shook her head.

“I already talked to your father, though. He’s going to get you next week…” She trailed off, her eyes moving to her feet.

Next week? I thought I was leaving next month!

“What?” I asked, not believing what she said.

“Yeah…I told him to wait until the end of this month, but he insisted on getting you next week. I’m not sure what day, but he’ll be here.” She reached up and wiped the tears from her eyes and my jaw fell to the floor.

She had to be kidding.

“But I can’t leave next week!” I said, stepping away. “I can’t!”

“You have to, Alex.” She muttered, her eyes dark with sadness.

“Mom-“

“Alex, I’m so sorry. It wasn’t my decision.”

“I can’t just leave…please talk to dad.” I pleaded.

“I can’t because you know that once he makes up his mind, he’s not changing it. I’ll talk to him later to see what day he’s coming.” She concluded with a final ‘I’m sorry’ and left the room.

I stood in the middle of my room for a few minutes, taking it all in. Why did I have to leave so early? God damn it.

I grabbed my phone and called Jack immediately. He didn’t answer the first time, so I continued to call and call and call until he finally picked up with a sigh.

“Yeah?” His voice was small and I could barely hear him.

“Jack, I need to see you. We have to do something together and it has to be the best thing ever. Because I’m leaving next week and-“

“What?!” He cut me off and his voice suddenly got louder in my ear. “Next week?! I thought you were leaving the first week of August!”

“My mom talked to my dad…it’s his decision.” I muttered and paced around my room impatiently.

“Well change his mind! You can’t just-“

“Jack, I can’t.” I replied, cutting him off, and he scoffed loudly.

“I’m coming over tonight.” He said sternly and I nodded.

“Good.”

-

I stood on the front porch, impatiently waiting for Jack to arrive home from his family dinner. It was a little after eleven o’clock when the car finally pulled into the driveway and I ran over to it.

Jack hopped out of the car quickly and ran to me, meeting me halfway in his yard, and he smiled at me.

“Bye mom! I’m sleeping over at Alex’s!” He called and waved a goodbye to his family that was climbing out of the car.

“Took you long enough.” I muttered, crossing my arms across my chest and pouting at him.

“Hey, I’m here now, so it’s okay.” He hugged me.

“You were gone all day…”

“Well, I could give you a long ass story about what all happened, but I don’t think you want to hear it.” He patted my back and I rested my head on his shoulder.

“Let’s go.” I said and he pulled away. I grabbed his hand and we ran back to my house and inside.

As soon as we were in my room, I closed the door and he looked at me with a frown.

“I can’t believe you’re leaving next week.” He sighed and I frowned too.

“I hate it.”

“I really wish I could kidnap you and you could stay with me.” He said, causing me to laugh.

“You should. It would be better than me going all the way to Georgia.” I shrugged.

“It would…I still can’t believe you’re leaving. What are we going to do until you leave?”

“Something amazing.” I stated simply.

We sat in thought.

“Alex, can I ask you something?” Jack asked after a few minutes and I nodded.

“Anything.”

“Well, I hate to ask this now, of all times, since you’re leaving next week…but since I guess we’re pretty close, I would like to know if you’d like to be my boyfriend…” He asked and my eyes grew wide.

I didn’t know what to think. I practically loved him to death…but he had a point. I was leaving next week and that means…we’d have a long distance relationship. I don’t really know how well that would work, but I couldn’t say no.

“I’d love to!” I grinned and he hugged me.

“Oh my gosh..I’ve been thinking about it ever since I left to be with my parents and I was hoping that you would say yes.” He smiled, excitement flooding in his eyes.

“You’re such a girl.” I smirked and he chuckled.

“Oh, well…since you’re my boyfriend now, is it cool if I take you out on a date? Because you said we needed to do something amazing before you left…so is that amazing enough?” His words were fast, but I understood them perfectly.

“I would love that.” I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
eee:) They're together now. This excites me. Hah.
SO. I have a question for all of you...I haven't really thought about where Jack's going to take Alex, so I decided to ask you guys. Where should Jack take Alex on a date?

Also, thank you all for the comments, as always. I love you all.

<3Mary