Status: Active

The Perfect Words Never Crossed My Mind

09

“Hi, can I help you?” Eloise said. She had no clue who the man was.

“I’m Max Talbot. I play with Sidney. Look, it’s none of my business, but Sidney still cares about you. He’s told me about you, and when he saw you tonight. He asked Kris and Jordan to get your friends to dance with them so he could talk to you. He came to me today about what happened earlier this afternoon; he said he wished things had gone differently than they did. He didn’t want to walk away…”

“But he did. I never knew him to walk away from anything,” Max could tell Eloise was upset and he didn’t want to upset her more, but knowing Sidney wasn’t going to go after her again, Max took it upon himself to do it for Sidney.

“I know, look. You’re not going to find a cab, do you want me to give you a ride home?” Eloise immediately looked nervous. She didn’t even know him. He could be a criminal for all she knew.

“Uh, I don’t know. I don’t really know you that well.”

“I promise, I won’t do anything to hurt you. I’ll just take you home and that’ll be that. Sidney would kill himself if he knew you didn’t get home safely.”

Eloise went against her better judgment and said okay to Max. They both walked to his car and got in. She told him the address and he put it in the GPS and they left the club parking lot.

“So uh, how close are you and Sidney?” Eloise thought that since he was giving her a ride home that she could at least be talkative.

“Pretty close, we uh, we’re like brothers.”

“Oh,” Eloise didn’t really know what to say after that. Sidney had probably told Max everything that her and Sidney had gone through.

“So uh, this is awkward.”

“Yeah, just a bit.”

“Just wondering, would you be interested in coming to the game tomorrow night? I could probably get you and your two friends some seats.”

“Well, my roommate Amanda said her cousin is on the team and he could get us tickets.”

“Oh, okay. Do you know who her cousin is?”

“No, I didn’t think to ask because the only person I knew on the Penguins was Sidney. But now I know you,” she gave a light smile. “But I doubt I’m going tomorrow anyway. “

“Why? You know, Sidney would be happy to see you,” he smiled and nudged her trying to get her to lighten up and Eloise laughed a little. Max was hoping to get Eloise to go to the game, he was one of some of the guys that knew about her and from what Sidney said about her, Max wanted them back together even though he didn’t really know her.

“Max, I’m not ready to face Sidney after everything that’s happened today. I just want to forget today. I was so ready to see him again, just to apologize after this afternoon. But what happened at the club, I couldn’t handle that again. Thank you, but I just need more time before I see him again,” Eloise gave him a look that meant she was sorry.

Max sighed, “Alright, you know the best. I hope to see you again though because we’re at your apartment complex.” Eloise looked out the window to find that they were there.

“Oh well, thank you. I appreciate you not killing me,” Eloise smiled at him to show Max that she was joking.

“Oh haha, you’re still in the car. I could technically kill you now,” Max gave a creepy smile and then laughed to show that he was joking as well.

“But really, thank you. You didn’t have to.”

“Oh, anything for my best friend’s girl.”

“But you seem to forget, I’m not his girl. He’s probably had better since I left him.”

“Actually, no. Not that I know of, he hasn’t seen anyone since you, have a good night.”

“You too,” Eloise got out of the car and walked up to her apartment in a daze. She couldn’t seem to get her head around the fact that Sidney hadn’t dated anyone since she had broken up with him. She couldn’t help but to smile.