Horrid Thoughts with Hard Questions

94 Degrees

After a few hours of sleep, we wake up before day break and put on our swim suits, and sunscreen. The weather station forecast said it was going to be around 94 degrees, ensuring us that the beach would be packed.

We have a quick breakfast including plain bread slices and juice boxes, then eagerly make our way towards the shore to watch the sun rise. Claire grins the whole way, and I feel my heart soar. Seeing her so happy makes life feel complete.

Our towels are thrown over the golden sand, and the sun is just beginning to peek over the horizon, and for once in a long time, I'm relaxed.

People filter on and off the beach all day, and it's not as crowded as I expected. Claire is playing in the sand, burying my feet and legs under the warm makeshift blanket.

When she gets to my thighs, she stops and laughs. "You look hilarious," she tells me. I stick my tongue at her, and wiggle my toes out of the sand.

"Oh, hush."

As the sun reaches the center of the sky, the hottest part of day begins. We flee the shore and sand in search of shade and air conditioning.

Claire points out a shopping mall. Hesitantly I agree; we don't have much money, and I don't want to blow it on things we can live without, but it does have air conditioning.

We eat lunch in the food court, and laze around for another hour or two, before Claire sees a store she has to go in.

I slip my hand in my pocket, and mentally count how many bills I have left as we walk through the doorway.