Love's a Battlefield

Seven

A little while later i saw the familiar sign welcoming us to the city of Wolverhampton. As we headed up the main road to the city centre i smiled be happy to be back in my home town. Alex noticed me smile as my eyes focused on the windows as buildings and my old local pub blurred by. He squeezed my shoulder sensing the joy I had. Casey meanwhile was sat taking in the new scenes to her, we had planned to meet up once but we had to cancel it due to me falling ill and been hospitalized which i hadn’t been pleased about at all.

As we drove into the city centre the lads started to gather together what they were taking into the venue for the show we were playing tonight. As Gary pulled the bus to the side of the venue the guys were met with a large group of screaming teenagers some of which having parents with them. Gary stopped the bus and security backed off the fans allowing the lads to get off the bus and put stuff inside knowing they would be allowed for signing once all the kit was unloading from the vans.

Fans screamed as the guys emerged Alex was the last to leave the bus who pulled me through the security guards holding my hand causing a few comments from fans and some awwing. I dragged Casey behind me and we got inside ready to start the fun job of unloading, well me unloading and Casey running about with a camera and camcorder.

I placed my bags in the dressing room changing into my polo shirt with crew printed on the back of it. Don’t ask the boss i was under insisted on us wearing it although it meant security didn’t constantly check for the pass we always had to carry to. I headed out of the door and met up with the other crew members who had now arrived in the other bus as we started to unload the vans and wheel equipment indoors without running over toes of fans that liked been in the way.

One fan who was around 8 years of age who had left her mother standing on the kerb looked up into my face as i checked the walk way was clear before moving the cases i had.

‘Excuse me’

I looked into the girls face to see hope start to etch over her face.

‘yes, what can i do for you dear?’

‘Would you be able to find out when the band are coming out for me please, I would really like to meet Alex and the others to?’

‘I will let you into a little secret, after all this is unpacked they will be out, but if you keep quite and stand by your mum i will let you stand just inside the door to meet them all before the other children swarm?’

The little girl nodded at me her brown eyes glistening with the joy as she ran back to her mum smiling. Her mum looked up at me also smiling glad to see her little girl happy as i carried on working. Before long i had actually finished hauling the stuff in and was happy to go and keep my promise to the little girl who watched me run up the stairs that headed to the dressing room.

I went to walk into the dressing room pushing the door expecting it to open wide when instead it hit something and bounced back at me catching me off guard as a couple of groans were heard from the other side which worried me somewhat. When the door was pulled open it revealed Edward Minton rubbing his head and Casey rubbing her forehead. I apologised as it seemed two people were enjoying a passionate moment before calling everyone’s attention to me informing them they had a job to do and fans to see but first one important fan.

Alex raised his hairy eyebrows at me moving his fringe slightly as he allowed his rear end to leave the chair he was sunk into the rest of the group following behind Ed still rubbing his head. I lead the way down the steps and headed out the door walking over tot he young girl ordering the boys to not move and leaving Casey to put them in line. Something that I always trusted her with cause she had some good payback if they didn’t obey.

The little girl adn her mum followed me other fans to endorsed in their own conversations to notice as I took the daughter and mother just inside the doors of the venue. As i rounded the corner watching the young brown haired girl’s face i smiled to see her jaw almost drop as she was met with the five members of Elliot Minor. She looked up at me and I looked at alex noting for him to come here.

‘Alex, this is Isabelle, and she is your number one fan, of course she loves you other guys to.’

Alex nodded and knelt down to hug Isabelle who’s face was now bright red with embarrassment. Alex picked her up with the strength he had in his weedy arms and her mother took a picture of the two happily together before the rest of the band had pictures. The little girl had her album signed and was excited for the gig of which she received a free t-shirt just cause Casey had fell in love with how cute she was.

Her mum asked politely if Isabelle could have pictures with me and Casey and then they left heading for a few shops to kill the hours before the gig. Before set up we all had chance to go get coffee something which me and alex both required as we were half asleep. I decided to trudge through the streets of the city centre which hadn’t changed much since i used to live here heading straight for starbucks.

As we finally reached the doors after a few fan stops we ordered drinks and were able to settle down on the comfortable sofa. Alex settled next to me, something i had gotten used to by now and i sipped on my coffee. Alex’s mug was on the table as he sat staring out the window. Ali who was at the other side of him started putting empty milk tubs and sugar packets into the coffee, alex of course oblivious as Casey subtly recorded it with the held of Ed’s jacket been on the table.

I smiled as I watched the happenings alex turning around and looking at his cup jumping and searing slightly as he noticed what Ali and now Dan to had done to his coffee. After muttering under his breath he ordered a new coffee this time leaving me to look after it. Once drinks had been finished and laughs had been shared and a couple of people i had once attended school with and didn’t get on with gawped at what i was doing we headed back to the venue to set up and sound check.

As we got through the doors I smelt the catering waft through the hall making me want my dinner. We got the last few things set up with the crew as the band got ready to sound check. We had an hour long run through before the band were back outside either having a cigarette break or meeting more fans or in Alex’s case doing both.

Soon we were sat eating dinner and heading for the guys to get ready for the gig that night. I watched the crowd file into the familiar room and smiled remembering the days i had spent as a young teenager enjoying watching bands play in this venue. As i played some music i laughed at the whole crowd sang along to the fresh prince of bel air theme tune that i started playing. Something we had known when we were younger.

As show time came closer i put the lights down to start the screaming fans excitement off as the crowd fidgeted ready for Elliot Minor to appear on the stage. As Casey radioed over that they were ready and so was she the crew on the stage let the screen come down and the fans went absolutely nuts. The next hour of the ste was amazing to run as the fans jumped sang and generally enjoyed the show.

As the gig came to and end the fans filed out the door dripping wet with sweat as the main lights came up and I started to unpack all the equipment. Once that had been put into the van and I had changed back into my clean clothes I headed outdoors where the band were signing some more stuff. Casey was stood with Ed who had his arm around her waist when possible and fans awed as they saw Ed smiling more often. Casey helped with pictures for some fans who appreciated it as i piled bags onto the bus and checked the place was settled. Casey then followed me onto the bus.

‘Alex likes you, i can tell.’

‘How do you know that?’

‘Because he was constantly watching that door for you to come out and looked at Ed and me with hopeful eyes.’

I sighed, I was too shy for my own good most the time and smiled as Casey hugged me knowing secretly i liked him but hadn’t said anything or had it confirmed. As the band loaded onto the bus I smiled as Alex hugged me even in his sweaty state. We headed for the hotel and headed inside to shower before gathering for celebration drinks from another good night’s performance. Ed cuddled Casey into his arms as we settled them both sharing a passionate kiss and Ed smiling as he mentioned he was glad there wasn’t a door this time causing the whole group to giggle slightly.