A Goalkeeper Can Catch Anything...Even Love

Kissing the Enemey

*Ivy POV*

“I don’t think I can take much more of this Ivy,” grumbled Sarah as she followed me into yet another airplane.

“Come on, what happened to your sense of adventure?” I asked as I tugged her sleeve to get her to move along the tunnel that would get us into the plane.

“It died about an hour into the nine freakin’ hour flight from Chicago to here,” Sarah complained. “I seriously can’t feel my butt and I am so tired!”

“You slept on the way over here! On my arm I might add,” I told my friend as I tucked my passport into my purse but kept my ticket out so the flight attendant could point me to my seat.

“Still not the same--oh my, look at that cutie,” Sarah said as she straightened, suddenly not looking so tired. I rolled my eyes as she gave flirtatious looks to a tall man that passed us.

“Will you stop?” I hissed as I dug my elbow into her stomach.

“What? The least I could do since we’re in Madrid is have a fling with a Spanish man.”

“You’ve been on Spanish soil for an hour and are leaving it in a few minutes, you can’t have a fling.”

“Watch me.” Plastering her biggest smile, Sarah swayed her hips as she passed her target. I could already see that he was half in love with her but who could blame the guy with Sarah’s dark hair and exotic green eyes. I chuckled softly at my friend as she pretended to drop her lipstick and the man hurry to give it to her. They entered the plane together, her hand already tucked in his arm. I shook my head at how fast she worked. With me flirting, dating, and relationships were always complicated which is to say that I was shy and wasn’t the best when around cute guys. If she wasn’t my best friend I would have been jealous of her but three years working in the same hospital had made us close.

I entered the plane and was directed to my seat in first class. Once again I thanked god that Sarah’s sister was a flight attendant so that we could be on standby the whole trip. This trip wasn’t costing me a dime and I wouldn’t be in coach since the flight was practically full. It wasn’t surprising since the plane was traveling to Johannesburg, South Africa were I was sure all of them were going to see the World Cup and support their team. Which was exactly what Sarah and I were doing, it was just ironic that we found ourselves going there in the enemy’s plane.

My father was in fact the coach for the Swiss football team and as his daughter I had been invited by him to come down for the summer. My parents divorced when I was fifteen and my dad had gone back to his native country, Switzerland. I had continued to live with my mom in Chicago except for a month each summer when I was sent to my dad’s where I traveled and coached FC Basel with him. I had always loved that month since I was just as obsessed with football as him. I learned anything and everything about football, and at twenty-seven I am still in love with the game.

When he had announced that he was coaching the national team I had been ecstatic and even more so when he had invited me to come. Having always wanted to watch a World Cup game I had jumped at the chance and had brought along Sarah who had insisted that she loved soccer when I knew very well that it was the men of soccer she liked. It didn’t matter to me since my dad had extra tickets and I welcomed company. That Sarah’s sister was able to use her influence to get us on standby the whole trip was great. We had left from Chicago on a nine hour flight to Madrid and we were now headed to Johannesburg where we would spend the night before my father would send a car to drive us to Durban where the Swiss team was staying to await there first match against Spain. It was exhausting but would be worth it in the end.

I took my seat, on the right side of the plane with a seat next to the window. Last time Sarah and I had been lucky in being allowed to be placed next to each other but this time Sarah was seated two seats in front of me. Hoping that I wasn’t going to end up sitting next to an annoying person I leaned back and took out a football magazine as the crew prepared for the plane to takeoff.

*Iker POV*

“Yeah he’s looking better now,” I said into my phone as I made my way through security. I was happy for once to have a few body guards with me to keep all the paparazzi and fans off of me, with everything that had happened this week I didn’t feel like being in the spotlight. I was also late and had to catch the plan back to South Africa today so that I could make it back to practice by tomorrow afternoon.

The last couple of days had been hectic and nerve-wracking. I had been down in Durban with the Spanish team when I had gotten a phone call a few days ago about a car crash involving my father. He had been in pretty bad shape and I had been given leave to fly over and see him since our game wasn’t for another week.

My father had been unconscious when the police had arrived on the scene of the crash and the doctor’s had been worried that the trauma to his head would either keep him in a coma or have sever lasting affect. Thankfully it hadn’t been as bad as they had thought, he had wakened a few hours later and had been completely fine. His only symptoms that he had been in a crash was a caste on his arm, bandage around his head, and an occasional headache. At the moment he was still in the hospital but had insisted that I go back to South Africa and win the World Cup. I had reluctantly agreed, insisting that my family call me everyday to check on his progress.

“That’s good to hear man,” David Villa said from the other end. “We’ve all been pretty worried for you. I swear Del Bosque has been nicer, we only had to run ten laps.”

“ I doubt that,” I chuckled as I weaved my way through the fans and looked at my watch, ten minutes. Maldito, I thought as I picked up the pace.

“So when are you getting here?” David asked.

“I’m getting to Johannesburg tonight and am going to catch a taxi tomorrow morning so I should be there for practice,” I explained as my gate came into view. “Look David I got to go, I’m at my gate. Say hi to the guys for me.”
“Yeah, see you tomorrow.” I hung up and handed my ticket to the woman. She did a double take when she saw me and then winked as she wished me good luck and handed the ticket back. I thanked the men that had gotten me through the crowds and entered the tunnel. I reached in my jacket pocket and pulled on a beanie that way it would disguise me a little. Along with my torn jeans and black shirt, not to mention the bags under my eyes I didn’t look like the usual glamorous footballer. Getting in the plane I made my way down the aisle and looked up when I approached my seat. When I saw my neighbor I smiled inwardly. This was going to be a good flight.

Putting my bag under the seat a settled down in my chair and turned my head to look at the woman before me who was reading a magazine. She was a beauty, her long, straight brown hair was pulled back into a pony tail that opened her face. I could see that she had chocolate brown eyes and a full lips. She was dressed in slim fitted light jeans, a flowing green top, and green heels. There was a look of fatigue on her that probably matched my own and I wondered why. The woman glance over at me, frowning slightly over my interested. There was something about her that was intriguing and I knew that I had to talk to her.

“Hello,” I said. “How are you?”

*Ivy POV*

It took me a few awkward seconds to respond to the man next to me. The first being was because he was hot and me around hot men is a disaster. I got tongue tied and nervous and it was a catastrophe. This man exuded sex appeal with his rough appearance and dark brown eyes that seemed to burrow into mine. He looked familiar but I couldn’t quite remember where I had seen him from. The second being that I had to mentally file through my mind to remember anything that I was taught in my high school Spanish class.

I figured that he had asked me how I was and responded lamely, “Bueno.”

“¿Qué estás leyendo?” His tone was so sultry as he spoke that I got goose bumps. This time I was at a loss as to what he had just asked me. I knew how to speak English and French fluently because of my background as well as a little German that I had picked up in my summers in Switzerland but Spanish I looked to have lost since my days in high school.

“I’m sorry,” I replied in English. “I don’t understand what you’re saying.”

“I thought you had an accent,” the man smiled as he answered back in English. “I’m Iker and you are?”

“Ivy,” I said softly as I took his outstretched hand. His fingers were lean and long, engulfing mine in its grip. It was unnerving to feel that much power coming from this man but also strangely making me feel safe with him. I must be more tired than I thought, I said inwardly as I awkwardly eased back in my seat.

I was going to go back to my magazine when Iker spoke again, “I asked you before what you were reading.”

“Oh, a football magazine.” I held it up for him to see just as the plane finally began to move and the Captain said that we were on our way.

“I thought you American’s called it ‘soccer.’”

“Well I’m not just American,” I replied.

“You’ll have to explain that statement to me.” I didn’t say anything as the plane came to a stop at the start of the runway, there was that amazing silence that followed like everyone was holding their breath before the feel and noise of the motors rumbled through the cabin. The plane gained speed and I closed my eyes as we took off. I wasn’t scared, it was the complete opposite actually. I loved flying and the feel when we left the ground. Others hated the feeling of weightlessness and the popping of their ears but I relished it. However, this time all of that didn’t make one difference to me because I was completely surprised and absorbed with the feeling of a hand covering mine on the armrest in comfort.

My eyes snapped open and were immediately captured by Iker’s dark gaze. My mouth went dry and I had to open my mouth and close it a few times before I could speak. “I’m fine. Honestly I’m not scared.”

“Are you sure?” He didn’t remove his warm hand and strangely didn’t look concerned. It was almost like he knew I was telling the truth but was trying to find an excuse to touch me.

“Yup,” was all I managed to say. I slipped my hand from underneath his and lifted the magazine again as the plane leveled off. I tired to concentrate on the article before me but could still feel Iker’s eyes on me.

“Are you going to explain what you meant?” Iker asked after a few more minutes of silence.

“Nope.” I didn’t even look up even though I wanted to.

“Because…” he insisted.

“I don’t want to be murdered,” I said as I looked up and saw a teen with a Fernando Torres shirt pass by.

He followed my gaze and lifted an eyebrow, “You don’t like the Spanish football team?”

“It’s not that. I actually like the team it’s just that my loyalty is somewhere else,” I tried to explain as he smiled at me. His grin was disarming and I had a hard time getting my next lungful of oxygen.

“You are a puzzle,” he contemplated out loud cocking is head to the side.

“I’m really a very boring person,” I said tucking a free lock of my hair behind my ear.

“I doubt it. You are a mystery.”

“I am also a stranger that you won’t see after our flight. You shouldn’t care.” Iker moved so that he was mere inches from my face.

“But I find myself caring.” He was close enough that his breath tickled my cheeks. Usually I was able to resist guy’s flirting but with Iker it was different. I felt special and my heart beat faster when he looked at me.

I was so hypnotized with him that I found myself saying something stupid, “You smell good…like apples.” Horrified I jerked back to my corner and blushed a bright red. I covered my face with my hands and cursed. You’re hopeless with men, I thought. “I’m sorry that came out so wrong--.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Iker took my hands away from my face and caressed my cheek for a second before he turned to talk to the flight attendant that was serving us a drink. I ordered a coke and then told myself not to talk for the remainder of the voyage.

“What will you tell me about yourself?” Iker asked. I ignored him but couldn’t when he took my magazine and I looked up.

“That’s mine!”

“And you will get it back when we land.” That said he preceded to tuck it in his bag so that I couldn’t reach it. Glaring at him I sat back and I decided that I really needed to get some sleep. I lowered my seat and tucked my arms under my cheek.

“Are you going to answer me?”

“No. I’m trying to sleep.”

“So wake up. Why aren’t you going to answer me?” Already knowing that Iker was a person that wouldn’t give up easily I gave up on sleeping and sat up.

“Because I don’t want to say something dumb again.” I had thought it was obvious.

“What if we play twenty questions and you can think about your answers?”

“Twenty is a lot. How about three?”

“Ten.” I made the mistake of looking into his gorgeous face and felt my resolve melting.

“Five and that’s my final offer.”

“I’ll take it.”

“But I won’t answer certain questions like what I am besides American and I get to ask five questions too.”

Getting comfortable he stretched his long, lean legs and I couldn’t help my gaze from flicking to them before meeting his gaze. “Sounds fair. First question, are you single?”

“That’s a dumb question,” I said as I felt red creep into my cheeks.

“I get to pick my question, you answer.” Iker moved his arm to lay next to mine. I could see the power in his arms and the muscles---stop! I yelled at myself. Get your act together.

“Yes. Do you always talk to strangers like me?”

He chuckled, “Yes and no. My job makes me talk to strangers but they aren’t nearly as beautiful and interesting as you.” I barely managed to contain my smile. “What is your favorite candy?”

“You are asking very strange questions.” When he gave me a look I sighed. “Mars bar. Why is it so important to know that?”

“That counts as your question,” Iker’s eyes tinkled in amusement as I shook my head. “Yes it does. I want to know so that I can tell we’re else you’re from. What do you do?”

“I’m a obstetrician.” I saw his look of confusion and clarified. “I deliver babies.”

Iker looked impressed, “Did you always want to do that?”

“Yeah. Brining a new life into the world is a special thing and I loving being able to have a small part in it.” I knew my job was a bit unconventional, my parents had wanted me to be a nurse or surgeon like Sarah but they didn’t know the feeling of joy I got when I held a newborn in my arms and saw the looks of joy on the family. “My turn. Why are you going to South Africa?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” He paused to take a sip of his drink. “What everyone else is doing, for the World Cup.”

“And are you cheering for Spain?”

“It would be ironic if I didn’t,” he chuckled at some inner joke. “Last question, who is your favorite player?”

“Ooo, dangerous answer.”

“Which makes it all the more fun. If it goes against your loyalties I promise I won’t tell.” He looked so serious that I had to laugh.

“Fine but if you ever tell I’ll deny it. It’s Iker Casillas.” Iker smirked at my answer like it pleased him. I couldn’t understand his reaction until he turned from me and gave me a profile. I gasped as I finally recognized him. It was Iker Casillas in the flesh! Sitting next to me…in a plane…and I had said he smelled like apples!

I groaned.

*Iker POV*

I knew she had put two and two together as I watched her face. It drained of color which was a first. Usually, people got very excited when I was near.

“Ivy--.”

“I have to use the bathroom,” she interrupted. She went to step over my outstretched feet just as I moved them to let her pass which cause her to get confused and she got caught on my legs. Before she could topple over I was able to grab her to that she didn’t fall forward into the aisle but into my laps.

Bad and good move on my part.

All her curves were pressed against mine. Her right leg was straddling me and her chest was plastered against mine making her head level to my eyes. I had my hand on her narrow waist and some of Ivy’s hair was on my cheek. It was as soft as the skin I could feel from the gap between her shirt and jeans. Her eyes were round as I gazed into them, feeling the delicacy in her limbs and the beating of her heart.

“Thanks,” Ivy mumbled not looking at me as she went to the bathroom. I groaned in frustration. Great, I thought sarcastically. That hadn’t been the reaction I had hoped for if and when I had told her who I really was. I saw Ivy coming back down the aisle and being stopped by a woman sitting a few seats up. They had a quick discussion and I could tell that they were friends and that they were talking about me when they happen to glance at me. I was tempted to wave at them but checked the impulse. Ivy made her way back without looking at me. I thought that she was going to be silent but she surprised me by talking.

“You don’t have to talk to me anymore.” She was biting her lower lip in unease.

“Why would I do that?” I asked confused.

“Because I am Ivy Schmitz.” My eyes went wide at her last name.

She was the daughter of Switzerland’s head coach!

Just my luck that I was intrigued by her but still not that huge of a deal. It sure put stress on things but wasn’t about to make me back down. Something told me that it was exactly what Ivy had thought.

“We sure know how to pick the people we’re attracted to,” I joked. Ivy’s stunned expression almost made me laughed.

Her lushes lips curved into a smile, “Who says I’m attracted to you?” I deliberately let my hand drop from the arm rest to her leg. She jumped in her seat and I smirked. “Guess that answers that.”

“Are you always this confident?”

“Pretty much.”

“How many more hours do I have to endure you?” Ivy’s smile lit her whole face and made it hard to look away. I did manage and lowered my seat. Getting comfortable I closed my eyes.

“What are you doing?” came Ivy’s musical voice.

“Sleeping.” I responded without cracking an eye open. I heard grumbling from Ivy about me deciding when we get to sleep and smiled. I heard some moving around beside me and guessed that she was going to rest as well. Soon the exhaustion of the last few days, which had seemed far away when talking to Ivy took it’s toll on me. I fell asleep but couldn’t escape Ivy. My dreams were filled with her.

I jolted awake when I felt soft hands run down my cheeks. I opened my eyes to have Ivy’s chocolate one’s looking down at me.

“Hey,” she said softly, her hands were still wondering along my jaw line. “We’re landing.”

“Mierda. You’re telling me I slept the whole flight?” I was bewildered, I hadn’t been able to sleep in a long time.

“With the exception of the first two hours in which you pestered me.” Ivy’s smile reached her beautiful eyes and since she was leaning over me I discovered that she had golden sparks in them.

“Now it’s you that can’t seem to get enough of me.” I looked pointedly at her hand which was resting on my chest. Ivy snatched it back like she hadn’t noticed it had been there. The landing was uneventful but I couldn’t help feeling sad that I wouldn’t see Ivy again. Of course there was the match in a week between our two countries but it felt too long away.

“I still have one more question left,” Ivy said suddenly as we stood and gathered our bags. Perplexed for a minute I then realized that she was talking about our five questions game.

“You’re right. Go ahead and ask.” I handed her the sport’s magazine I had taken at the beginning of the flight.

“When are you going to ask me out?” Ivy met my gaze boldly and I knew that this woman was so much more than I had first thought.

“Right now.” And I did just that.

*Ivy POV*

“You look amazing!” cried Sarah from her position on the bed. We had arrived to our hotel an hour ago along with Iker who was also staying there the night. I had just enough time to shower, do my hair, and get ready for my date with Iker. I now stood in front of Sarah for her approval. My hair was lose around my shoulders and no matter what I had tried it was impossible to get it to curl or have a wave. My eyes were a smoky bronze and I had clear lip gloss on. I had on black heels, dark jeans, and a V neck black shirt that hugged my curves. “You’re so lucky you get to date a famous soccer player and I’m stuck here.”

“Sorry, I’m sure you’ll get one next time.”

“Hell yes or I’m never traveling around the world with you again.” I laughed as I took my purse from the counter and made my way to the lobby. Iker was already there when I stepped out of the elevator looking amazing. He was dressed in dark jeans, a navy shirt under a leather black jacket, and his beanie. I had the stranger urge to see him without his hat and wanted to run my hand into the brown hair that was peeking from under it.

“Hello.” Iker’s accented speech was even hotter than I remembered. “You look beautiful.”

“Thanks, you look great too,” I said lamely. Iker didn’t waste time as he took my hand in his and walked out of the hotel.

“Where are we going?” I asked curiously.

“There.” Iker pointed off into the distance to the lighted stadium in front of us. Lights were coming from the distance and there was screaming that could be heard all the way to where we were walking.

“The World Cup concert?” I said.

“I managed to get tickets emailed to me by Fernando,” Iker explained while we crossed the street.

“But it’s probably already started. How are we going to get them to let us in?”

He gave me an incredulous look, “I’m a bit famous, nena.” Iker didn’t say it in a way that was self-righteous but more like a statement, pure and simple. A few minutes of walking got us to the stadium. Iker was right, as soon as the security was informed that they had a famous footballer in their mist they let us through without delay.

There were so many people in the crowd but it wasn’t claustrophobic in the least. The atmosphere was joyous and exciting. No one was pushing the each other but was more of dancing and swaying together. Men and women were singing along to the Black Eyed Peas who were on stage at the moment. I joined in immediately, screaming along the words to Boom Boom Pow and pumping my fist in the air. I looked over at Iker, he watched me with a smile.

“What? I’ve never been to a concert before.”

As the performances continued Iker moved behind me and grasped me around the waist. I leaned back against him and we dance together.

Halfway through the concert Juanes came on. I had never heard of him before but I couldn’t help from moving my hips in time to the rhythm. Iker turned me around in his arms and took one of my hands in his and placed the other on my waist. Instinctively I put my free hand on his shoulder and followed him as he led me, completely in my element. I swayed my hips as he brought me against his body and we moved as one. The crowd gave us some room as they watched us tango. Iker confidently took a step back on his right foot, side, forward, side, then together as I mirrored him. He spun me around once and then dipped me, coming up slowly in his arms. Iker stepped to the right and I took a bit of the control. Letting go of his hands I stepped backwards while moving my hips from side to side and beckoning to him. The crowd whistled it’s approval as Iker leaped to catch me. He pulled me back into his arms just as the song ended.

Iker’s eyes were black in passion.

We were both breathing hard. I’m not sure who reached for the other first but next thing I knew we were kissing. It wasn’t gentle. It was hard and passionate, both of us fighting for dominance. His tongue slipped into my open month and I didn’t think twice before meeting it with my own in a dance similar to the one we had just ended. I gripped his shoulders as my legs became unsteady and arched my back, wanting to feel every inch of him. I was on fire for him as his hands slip into my hair. Iker’s beard created delicious friction and he gently bite my lower lip. I moaned and swore that he groaned as well. We broke apart, breathing harder than before if it was possible.

“Mierda.” Iker said swallowing hard.

“Was that a good or bad shit?” I asked biting my lower lip anxiously.

“Definitely a good one cariño.” He was staring oddly at my face. “Please don’t bite your lips because you’re tempting me beyond what a mortal man can take.”

“Sorry.” I blushed as warmth settled in my heart at his comment. The concert when on into the night, Shakira was the last to perform. Her song Waka Waka left everyone in high moods as they exited the stadium. Iker and I walked down the deserted street to our hotel, swinging our intertwined hands.
“Where did you learn to move like that?” Iker broke the silence.

“Pardon?”

“The way you danced tango suggested you had done it before,” he clarified.

“Oh. I took dance lessons until I was eighteen,” I explained. “Tango was always my favorite.”

“Tango would be my favorite too if my partner danced like you.” Iker’s eyes flashed dangerously.

“And you? Where did you learn those steps?”

“My mom enrolled me in a dance class as a kid. Said it would make the girls like me,” Iker grinned. “It did tonight.” We made our way into the quite hotel and up to my room.

At my door I stopped and turn to face Iker, “Well I guess this is it.”

“For tonight and a few days.” Iker was leaving much earlier than Sarah and I so I wouldn’t be able to see him.

“ I’ll see you at the game.” I whispered so as not to wake anyone.

“Count on it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
First story i'm posting on this site so hope you like it:*)