A Goalkeeper Can Catch Anything...Even Love

A Wonderful Life

*Iker POV (4 Years Later)*
I closed the door of my silver Porsche and grabbed my practice bag from the back seat before making my way up to the front door. The beautiful six room brick home was a welcoming sight after hours of hard work on the football field. It was strange to think that I had at first been reluctant to get the house when we had visited it four years ago because it was so close to all my Real Madrid teammates and I saw them enough at the stadium. Ivy had loved it and had wanted to be close to Nani so I had relented. At least we were a good fifteen minutes away from my parent’s house.
I opened the front door into the foyer and dropped my bag. No one was around but I could hear humming coming from the left so headed towards it. I passed the living room with the millions of picture frames on the shelves. I slowed down and looked at them smiling at the memories. There were pictures of the marriages of Ivy and I, the one from South Africa and the one we had in Madrid with all our family. Ivy looked magnificent in both and I could remember both like it was yesterday. The ones next to those held pictures of the celebrations in Madrid after we had won the World Cup and the amazing days after. The whole team looked happy and in heaven, I hopped that we could repeat the experience this year. I was studying the ones next to them—of our honeymoon to Rome—when a voice rang out from the backyard snapping me out of my daydream.
I walked around the corner to find my beautiful wife cooking. I crossed my arms across my chest and leaned against the doorframe just watching Ivy. She looked as beautiful to me as the first time I had seen her on the plane. Her hair was lose and tumbled down her back, just thinking of how soft it was made my fingers twitch to touch it. Her eyes still sparkled gold as she looked around the room and ran from one end to another. She was wearing an apron and beneath it was a cotton white dress along with red heels that made my mouth dry. Ivy mumbled something to herself in French and then went to stir something on the stove. I slowly made my way to her side and hugged Ivy from behind.
“Iker!” she laughed as I kissed her shoulder. “You have to take a shower you smell mon amour.”
Despite what she said she turned around in my arms and grasped her hands behind my neck. Her eyes told me to kiss her so I did. It was deep and slow, she melted into me and I inwardly grinned that I still had the same power over her as she had over me. The journalists were really wrong about our marriage not lasting, I thought as Ivy licked my bottom lip and then bit it. She grabbed onto my shoulders to steady herself and I felt her nails dig pleasantly into mu skin.
I looked into her eyes as the kiss ended, “Any chance you’d join me in that shower?”
“Iker! Do I always have to get your head away from the topic of sex?” Ivy chided as she swatted me away.
“What’s sex?” came a curious voice from the doorway. I looked back to see my almost four year old son, Stefan. He looked like a male version of his mother with her golden eyes and light brown hair. I always thought it was ironic that when I had purposed to Ivy I had told her that at the rate we were moving our relationship she was most likely pregnant and it had been the truth. We had returned from our honeymoon to find that she was carrying Stefan. Guess the journalists weren’t clueless when they had been looking for a baby bump but I was never going to mention that to Ivy.
“Look what you’ve done now,” I told Ivy shooting her an amused look as she blushed.
“So what is it?” Stefan repeated, he had a stubborn streak like his mother.
“Tu es prêt?” Ivy asked instead. “Je t’ai dit de t’habiller.” (Are you ready? I told you to get dressed.)
I had gotten very good at French since marrying Ivy. I could understand it well, it was just speaking that was the problem now. My son and wife, however, were amazing in the language department. They went from English to Spanish to French like it was child’s play and Stefan was only four.
“Non, maman.” Stefan looked at the floor. “I wanted to play some football with dad.” He looked at me with those eyes that I couldn’t say no to. “¿Por Favor?”
“Alright but ten minutes and then we have to get ready,” I relented. Ivy and I were having most of my Real Madrid teammates and their families over tonight for a dinner. Since the World Cup in Brazil was only a month away everyone was leaving this week to train with their national teams down there to get the feel of the terrain. The women were going to meet us there two days before our first match.
“Ten minutes, I didn’t make all this food so you could be late,” Ivy called out to us as we walked away.
“You didn’t use any of the recipes of my mother did you?” I asked knowing that those two were very close now and my mother wasn’t the best of cooks at times.
“You eat what I make,” she threw a towel at me but I ducked.
“Goalie nena,” I smirked while she gave me a smile and shook her head.
I played with my son for a lot longer than the ten minutes. I love football and so did he although not as a goalie. He wanted to make goals and be a striker no matter how much his godfather Sergio tried to convince him to be a defender. I made Stefan go get dressed and clean his room and I did the same. When I got out of the shower in a towel I opened the door to see Ivy burping our six month old daughter, Markita.
“You left the food to cook alone…” I trailed off when I heard the unmistakable voice of Sergio singing through the house. “Great, I hope he doesn’t burn down the house.” Ivy smiled and held Markita out to me. “Hello sweetheart,” I cooed holding her fragile little body close. I felt her tiny heartbeat against mine and marveled again at the wonders of fatherhood. There was almost nothing to compare it to. Ivy looked on at us lovingly. I could tell she was tired and was sorry that I was going to have to leave her tomorrow. The Spanish team was leaving in the morning which reminded me that I had to pack. “How was your day today?”
“The usual: playing, watching TV, and running around,” Ivy said laying back in bed and closing her tired eyes. “We went to your parent’s house for a while because we tried to go shopping and the journalists were following us.”
“Damn them,” I growled holding Markita nearer as if to protect her from the men. “They’re all crazy about trying to get pictures of her.”
“I know,” Ivy said sleepily but she jerked up right and Markita started crying at a loud crash from downstairs followed by the voices of Sergio, Nani, and Stefan.
“What did Sergio break now?” I growled trying to sooth my tearful daughter.
Ivy stood and held her hands out to Markita, “I’ll go check it out while you get dressed.”
I kissed the top of Markita’s head before giving her to Ivy. I heard the doorbell ring as Ivy closed our bedroom door and I got dressed as fast as I could. When I went downstairs it was packed with people. I could see some of the guys along with Stefan playing xbox on the TV while others chatted around the room. I went back to the kitchen noticing a blue vase in the hallway was missing. Sergio.
The kitchen smelled amazing, spices filled the air. I walked in to find Ivy taking a chicken out of the oven as she talked to Nani, who was holding Markita and Kaka’s wife Caroline while their child Luca hanged on to her skirt. Cristiano, Kaka, Sergio, and Lassana Diarra were leaning against the counters watching the women.
“How did you break my vase Sergio?” I asked going to stand by them.
“Not my fault this time, all Stefan’s,” Sergio denied.
“Nice, blaming a kid that isn’t even here to argue,” Cristiano replied nibbling on a chip that was set out as an appetizer.
“No really it was him,” Sergio protested and looked to his girlfriend for help. “Wasn’t it Nani?”
“I prefer not to take sides,” Nani smiled sweetly as she turned her back on her man and doted on my daughter. However, as soon as Markita saw me she started to whine and lift her hands in my direction. “Guess she wants daddy.”
I took her from Nani and held her against my side. She fell silent and snuggled closer to my warmth. I heard her soft breaths as she calmed and relaxed.
“You are so good with kids Iker,” Caroline said smiling at the picture my daughter and I made.
“So am I,” Kaka cut in giving his wife a look.
“I never said you weren’t,” Caroline rolled her eyes.
“Makes me want to have kids and settle down, doesn’t it Sergio?” Nani gave Sergio a raised eyebrow look.
“Of course love,” Sergio grinned widely. “Dozens of miniature me’s running around.”
“On second thoughts,” Nani whispered under her breath as we all laughed.
“Cristiano, can you help me with the plates? I can’t reach them,” Ivy said and I watching like a hawk as my best friend helped her.
“Iker you don’t have to look at me like I’m going to ravish your wife,” Cristiano chuckled, passing Ivy the ivory dishes. It wasn’t my fault, I was very possessive of my wife and I still hadn’t gotten over her crush of Cristiano. But I was working on it. Slowly.
“If you go swimming in the pool tonight I’ll drown you,” Ivy whispered as she strolled by me into the dinning room to set the table. I bit my lip to keep from laughing out loud.
“Iker, will you get the rest of the people and tell them dinner is served,” Ivy said coming back and opening the cabinets for cups.
“Sure nena.” I walked into the other room and announced that dinner was served.
“A few more minutes?” my son pleaded while beating Sami Khedira at xbox.
“No, I think it’s time to eat.” Sami stood up fast, glad to run from the pitiful way in which he was losing to a four year old. “You really have to get him to play less, it’s not good for one so young to be obsessed with xbox.”
“You’re just saying it because he kicked you’re as—.” started Gonzalo Higuain from the sofa.
“Hey, not with kids around,” I said looking pointed at my son and daughter.
“My bad,” Gonzalo looked sheepishly at me. I made sure Stefan was alright seated at the kitchen table with the other younger kids before I went to sit at the dinning table with the rest of the guys. I put Markita into her boaster chair between Ivy and I. She wasn’t too happy about it but I gave her a doll and she busied herself with munching on her foot. Ivy brought in the delicious smelling food and everyone dug in.
“So when are you going back to the hospital?” Caroline asked Ivy.
“I’m going back but part-time and as an instructor for interns,” Ivy said giving me a sidelong glance. She had gotten a wonderful job at a small hospital on the less fortunate side of town when she had first moved here. It wasn’t a glamorous hospital but it was the place where she felt the most needed and had the most satisfaction helping others. People that didn’t have money or the means went there and it also was a place that they didn’t care that she was my wife. Ivy loved working there but now with two kids and my football career something was going to have to be compromised.
“That’s great,” Caroline responded. “I’m glad you’re not giving up on your career.”
“Just like Spain will never give up the World Cup,” Xabi replied.
“Spain isn’t even getting to the final this year,” Gonzalo said back cockily. “It’s Argentina’s year.”
“Like hell it is,” I replied taking a sip of the red wine.
“Yeah! Spain is winning again so just resign yourself to it,” Sergio added.
“It’s being held in Brazil therefore it’s Brazil’s year,” Kaka protested looking very smug.
“Portugal’s turn,” Cristiano fake coughed it.
“Allez les Bleus!” Karim cried.
“Allez les Bleus,” repeated Ivy offhandedly as she pushed the doll’s foot out of Markita’s mouth.
“Ivy!” Sergio yelled. “Don’t be a traitor!”
“I am a traitor technically,” Ivy looked up at his dropped mouth. “I was a Swiss supporter before Spain.”
“Beside the point,” Sergio waved his hand around like he could erase her comment. “You switched over and there is no going back! We won’t let you!” Then as an afterthought he hit my arm. “Right Iker?”
I just gave me wife a secret smile. I knew I was never going to get Ivy to stop supporting the Swiss and I was fine with that as long as she supported Spain a little more. It had taken many nights but I had gotten her to agree. I took another sip so Ivy wouldn’t see my satisfied smile.
“We aren’t even talking about the Swiss, you were supporting the French,” Pedro replied taking a bite of chicken.
“What? My dad loves the French and it rubbed off,” Ivy shrugged. “You can’t tell me you all don’t love Zidane or Henry.”
“She got you there,” Lassana grinned.
“Can we talk about something else?” Nani asked. “You boys are leaving tomorrow and when we see you again all us women will hear is football so I would like to talk about something else please.”
“Like what?” asked Sergio putting his arm behind her chair.
“I don’t now, anyone seen a good movie lately?” Nani volunteered. Talked turned away from football and I laughed and looked around me, so happy about my life. I looked at Ivy and Markita and Stefan in the background. Life had never looked better.
“Can I have some more fries maman?” Stefan held out his plate as he squeezed between me and Sergio.
“Did you eat your vegetables?” Ivy raised her eyebrows.
“Yes.” She took his plate and I saw my sneaky son mouth no in Sergio’s direction. I put my elbow on the table and leaned my chin on my hand hiding the smile from Ivy.
“Elbows off the table,” Ivy tapped my arm as she gave Stefan his plate back. I was going to do what she asked but froze at Stefan’s next words.
“What’s sex Uncle Sergio?” Sergio was unfortunately drinking at the time and spit his mouthful out. Cristiano was the unlucky receiver.
“Sergio!” Cristiano whipped his very expensive designer shirt with a pissed look. “You are paying me back for this.”
“Stefan! Go back to your seat!” A red faced Ivy shooed him away and he reluctantly did as asked. I was trying not to burst into laughter at the whole thing.
“Iker!” Sergio said when he found his voice.
“Not me,” I gestured to Ivy.
“It was his fault!” Ivy argued.
“I always knew you were a freak inside,” Sergio wiggled his eyebrows.
“If you don’t be quiet I’m throwing my plate of food at you.”
*******************************
“The kids asleep?” I asked Ivy as she walked into the bedroom in her pajamas.
“Markita is whistling away.” One side of my mouth went up at that. Ivy and I had discovered that our daughter didn’t snore but made a quiet whistling sound when she slept that was endearing to hear. It was soothing to go to bed and listen to her over the baby monitor, it was always hard to leave town and not fall asleep with it in the background. “Stefan has finally fallen asleep after I read Robin Hood at least twice.”
“I’m going to miss them,” I said taking some clothes out of the drawers. I had waited until the very last minute to pack for my flight tomorrow to Brazil. Being behind made me throw a little of anything into the suitcase.
“Well we are all going to miss you,” Ivy said sitting cross legged on the bed as she watched me with expressionless eyes.
“The dinner was great, thank you for doing it,” I said giving her a smile, wanting to see joy on her face.
“No problem,” she said playing with her wedding band instead of looking at me with her golden eyes. I stopped what I was doing and strolled over to her side of the bed, standing in front of her I waited till she looked up at me.
“What’s wrong?” I kneeled in front of her and took her hand in mine. I let my thumb run along her wrist in a way I knew she found hard to ignore. Right on cue her heart rate speed up.
“You’re still evil after four years of marriage,” she replied kicking me gently in the abdomen.
“No changing of the subject,” I stood up and eased her back. I lay on top of her, keeping most of my weight off of her by leaning on my elbows. She was trapped and she knew it.
“Fine,” she gave in. “I’m going to miss you. We haven’t been separated for that long since I went to get my affairs settled in the U.S. when we were first married. It’s going to be weird.”
“Don’t worry carino, time will fly by and you’ll be with me in Brazil along with the whole team and all your friends. You’ll even see Sarah and her new baby daughter.” I reassured her, knowing she couldn’t wait to reunite with Sarah who had moved to Switzerland when she had married Tranquillo last summer. “And for a whole month you won’t have to worry about my stinky shoes or mud in the house or washing my uniforms.”
“I still have our son.” Ivy tangled her legs with mine and stripped my shirt from me.
“True but he’s small, how much of a mess can he make?” I kissed her neck and let my hands caress her silky thighs.
“You’d be surprised how much he takes after you.”
“There you go, I’ll ask Stefan to make a mess for you so you think I’m still in our house.”
“If you do I’ll kill you.” I laughed as I looked down into her now golden eyes. I would never get tired of looking into their depths. “You’ll be by my side in no time and I’ll call you everyday to complain about practice and David whining about everyone in our room and tell you the latest crazy stunt Sergio pulls.”
“Promise?” she asked seriously as her fingertips ran along my forehead, ears, nose, cheeks, and chin.
“I promise,” I replied solemnly. “Now what are you doing?”
Ivy just traced my lips, “Memorizing every inch of you.”
“I like that idea and I think you should be very thorough.” I rolled so she was on top of me. “I am at your mercy.”
Needless to say the packing the next morning was the fastest I had ever done.
*Ivy POV (1 Month Later)*
I took the plane to Brazil with Nani, Agnes, Anna, and Patricia. We were going to meet Olalla and Carla there since they were flying in from England. The journey was long and hard with two children. Stefan was bored most of the way, not use to being indoors for ten hours and wanting to play football. I had to convince him to watch movies and play with military figurines to keep him still. Although there was an incident in which his soldiers raided Olaya’s Barbie tea party. Markita was just fussy the whole time and didn’t want me to put her down.
I was so happy when we finally arrived. Stefan was too excited to be out of Madrid and so curious that he wanted to run all over the airport. I had to hold his hand to keep him at my side. While we were waiting for our stuff at the baggage claim we found Olalla, her two kids, and Carla. It was a joyous reunion, all of us having not seen each other since the last international game months before. Getting all our things we walked out into the warm afternoon sun. The paparazzi were waiting and we had to weave our way through them to reach the van that had been sent to take us to our hotel. Stefan liked the attention of the cameras but Markita, already cranky, cried at the flashes. I hurriedly got Stefan sitting in the car and handed him Markita who calmed a little at her brother’s comforting touch.
“Hold her tight,” I instructed as I went to assist the girls get all our bags in the van. The journalists didn’t even help just watching us. Gentlemen, I thought sarcastically as I heaved a heave pink suitcase that was Carla’s in the back.
“Maman, do you have my soldiers?” came Stefan’s voice.
“Oui,” I called to him slinging his backpack on my shoulder as the paparazzi continued to yell questions and camera’s flashed. After four years it was easy to ignore them and not take things they said seriously. If I did, then Iker was having an affair everyday of the week and I was pregnant every other. I climbed into the car when everything was in and took Markita back holding her in my laps at the same time as I fastened Stefan’s seatbelt.
“It’s so good to be all back together,” Carla said when we pulled into the highway. “It feels like the last World Cup.”
“Plus a few people,” I responded with a smile.
“I hope we win again this year,” Anna said. “But Andres better not make the winning goal because he still has a big head about it.”
We all laughed and reminisced about our experiences four years ago. I had to scold Stefan a few times because he was bothering the girls in the car, teasing them or pulling their hair. He was just like his father it was incredible but Markita was the one with his dark eyes. Every time she fixed them on me I thought of Iker.
“Can you believe that Del Bosque isn’t back this year?” Nani said.
“I know! It’s horrible and going to be strange without him,” Agnes replied.
“Anyone know the new coach?” I asked letting Markita play with a lock of my hair but pulling it out of her mouth when she decided to eat it.
“No but he’s got it wrong booking us in a completely different hotel than the team,” Olalla looked doubtful. “Didn’t he learn anything?”
We arrived at our hotel. It wasn’t super fancy but still lovely and clean. I got my own room since I had Stefan and Markita with me. Dinner was great with all the rest of the WAGs but we all retired early because of our long flights. I had Nani watch the kids as I quick jumped into the shower. When I came out Stefan was holding the phone to Markita and I knew Iker had called. I thanked Nani and she left as Markita talked in baby language to her father. Stefan than took back the phone and told Iker about his day and all the trouble he had gotten into while I put Markita in the crib next to my bed and sang her to sleep. Finally, Stefan passed the pone to me and I told him to go brush his teeth.
“Hey mi amor.”
“Hey cheri,” I greeted. “We are finally in the same country.”
“I still feel like it’s an ocean away.” Iker’s voice was like a soothing balm on my skin. Only hearing his voice made me feel peaceful. “I can’t wait to see you tomorrow night.”
“I’m taking the kids to the Swiss game in the afternoon,” I smiled knowing he would hate that.
“You are teaching our kids disloyalty to Spain,” came his growl.
“They are half Swiss so it’s only fair. Besides the Swiss players are my friends and they will want to meet my kids,” I said. My dad wasn’t the coach this year but I had managed to get tickets to him for a Swiss group stage game. I had offered Spanish one but he had refused. He didn’t know I was going to insist he watch my husband play the same way I was going to get Iker to come to a Swiss game. It was just the price they had to pay to be in my life. “Oh and you did promise I could see Sarah and her newborn.”
“Very well,” Iker sighed. “How was the flight?”
I told him all about it and where they had us sleeping and he told me their new coach was different from Del Bosque but no less of a genius. I hung up ten minutes later when Stefan grumbled and complained for a story. I read to Stefan and he fell asleep in one of the beds in the room. I lay against the backboard of the other bed and opened my laptop. I wasn’t too tired so I answered a few emails and made sure my interns didn’t have questions for me. It was a little sad that I had to stop delivering babies and was now teaching it but I wanted to be there for my kids and Iker.
There was a soft tapping on the door and I looked up frowning. The clock read eleven and I wondered who it could be this late. I threw aside the covers and padded quietly to the door. Cautious since I now had two children to protect I stood on my tip toes and looked through the peephole.
I saw…an apple?
I unlocked the door and opened it to reveal Iker.
“Iker!” I cried and immediately looked behind me to make sure I hadn’t woken the children.
“Are you going to invite me in?” he asked and I grabbed a fistful of his shirt and pulled him in as an answer. “I feel like a young newlywed again,” he chuckled as I looked at the hallway to make sure no one had seen him.
“Are you crazy? What are you doing?” I whispered closing the door.
“Do you remember when I sent you apples everyday after our first date?” Iker asked a question of his own instead.
“Yes.” I wasn’t sure where this was going.
“I always wanted to deliver them to you myself and I thought I should finally do it.” Iker told me with a smoldering look that sent shivers all the way to my toes. “You also sneaked many times into my room so I wanted to return the favor.”
“You are going to be in so much trouble.”
“It was worth it if I finally get to see you and my children after a month,” Iker replied. “Now are you going to kiss me?”
“If I must,” I smiled despite myself. His lips felt like heaven on mine, I hadn’t realized I had missed it so much until that moment. Iker pulled me against him and wrapped his arms around my waist. I loved the feel of his muscular body against my curves. I tilted my head so Iker had a better angle and moaned.
“Not so loud Ivy,” Iker teased placing tender kisses everywhere.
“I’m sorry but I missed you.”
“I missed you too.” After another very long and knee weakening kiss we broke apart. I took his hand and led him further into the room. There was a little light on and Iker went to his son. Placing his hand on his back Iker kissed his forehead. Stefan mumbled something but didn’t wake. I sat on the bed and studied Iker as he looked into the crib. Markita whistled and Iker bit his lip.
“I love that sound,” he whispered joining me on the bed. He laid back and I cuddled next to him.
“I hated going to sleep without you, the bed is too big without you in it,” I replied from the crook of his neck as I ran my hand across his chest. His fingers drew patterns on my upper arm and I closed my eyes, enjoying the sound of my two kids sleeping and Iker’s beating heart under my hand.
“Are you happy Ivy?” Iker asked suddenly and I snapped my eyes open.
“Why are you asking me this?”
“It’s just being at the World Cup again reminds me of the start of our relationship and all you gave up for us to be together.”
“Listen to me Iker,” I made sure that his dark eyes held mine. “I wouldn’t change anything about our life. I love you, I love our children, and I love my life in Madrid. If we went back in time I would still go with you to that World Cup Concert. I would still sneak around for you and stay behind to follow your road to the final. Without a doubt I would agree to marry you in that pool again and be by your side when you won.” I cupped his cheek. “Do you regret marrying me?”
His lips were on mine a second later. I felt all his love and feelings in that kiss and poured mine as well. My toes curled at the perfection of the kiss.
“Never.” Iker held me close. “I want you with me forever.”
“Especially when you win the World Cup again this year,” I smirked. “Who knows who you would kiss on live TV when you are all emotional if I’m not there.” Iker laughed and I place my hand over his mouth to keep him quiet.
“I love you Ivy,” Iker said when I removed my hand.
“I love you Iker.”
Iker fell into a blissful sleep a few minutes later. I sat up and looked around at all the people I loved together in one room. My heart was so full of love and warmth. I smiled.
No, my life was wonderful.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is it! The last part...so sad:(
But i hope you liked it! Comments would be very nice:*)