A Goalkeeper Can Catch Anything...Even Love

Full Circle

*Iker POV*
Ivy and I drove my mother and brother to the airport the day after our win against Germany. There was a lot of laughter and promises to get together when we returned to Madrid and I was just happy that everything had worked out. They left and we went back to the hotel to pack up to go to Johannesburg where the final was going to be held.
The bus ride there was full of chatter and everyone was in a good mood after our win against Germany but Del Bosque didn’t waste anytime and had the team in one bus so that he could coach us on a strategy for the Netherland game while the girls and children were in another bus so they wouldn’t distract us. We arrived at the hotel and amazingly the paparazzi weren’t waiting for us since they hadn’t known when we would arrive. We got out of the bus and I lifted my bags, moving over to aide Ivy with hers.
“Missed you,” I said kissing her cheek.
“I did too,” she smiled and I took her bags as we walked side by side into the hotel. We waited patiently for Del Bosque to get our room keys, some of the guys already kicking a football around the lobby.
“You’re going to break something,” Agnes predicted looking at her man.
“You worry too much,” Carles said.
“I need to worry if my boyfriend can’t even remember to wear clothes in front of our Queen,” she teased as the team chuckled. Carles glared at his girlfriend but then shrugged it off.
“We are professionals,” Sergio said kicking the ball. “We do not…” The ball went astray and knocked over a vase. “…break things.” A very angry looking manger walked over to Sergio as he tried to blame Fernando for the mess.
“You are on your own this time my friend,” Fernando put his hands up in innocence. They managed to work it out but it was hilarious watching Sergio be disciplined by a little man half his size.
“He was vicious!” Sergio said when he was gone. “Did you see the way he pointed at me? I thought he was going to poke out my eye.”
“Would have been better if had done something about that mouth of yours,” I joked. Sergio was about to reply when Del Bosque came towards us.
“Now that Sergio is done showing everyone the skills of Spanish football. Here are your room keys.” He handed one to me and then to David.
“Sir, you already gave me one,” I said.
“Yes and your point is?”
“David and I room together,” I explained.
“For the finale you may each room with your girlfriend or wife and children.” I brightened and saw Ivy laugh at me.
“You look like a kid on Christmas morning,” Ivy said.
“I feel like it’s Christmas.” I went to reach for her but Del Bosque step in front of me making me almost hug him.
“That can wait till later,” he said sternly. “We have practice in twenty minutes so get settled in quickly.”
I knew I was out of luck so Ivy and I walked to the elevator with the rest of the team.
“Spoils everything,” Sergio grumbled.
“I heard you Sergio,” came Del Bosque’s reply.
“I love you sir!” Sergio called back.
“Such a suck up,” Cesc commented.
“He is like God or Superman to hear that well.” Sergio’s eyes went wide in awe.
“Just get in the elevator Sergio I want to get to our room,” Nani said pulling him into the elevator with us.
“Are we going to…you know?” Sergio wiggled his eyebrows and we all laughed at how ridiculous he looked.
“If you are nice and can stay quiet the whole way up to our room.”
It was unbelievable but he did.
*Ivy POV*
It was nice the next morning to wake up in the arms of Iker. I smiled to myself thinking that from now on that was how it was going to be. I leaned on my elbows and peered down at his sleeping form. He looked so peaceful sleeping and I couldn’t stop myself from letting my hands trace his ears, nose, and lips. At some point I could tell that he was awake but was fake sleeping. Feeling wicked I kissed his forehead to lips to jaw line, down to his neck and strong chest.
“I surrender,” Iker said huskily, opening his beautiful dark brown eyes.
I climbed on top of Iker, straddling him “But only to me.”
“Oui, ma belle,” he told me in French. I really liked when he spoke in my language. I leaned down and kissed him properly on the lips. It was a deep kiss with our lips molding to each other. I moaned as his hand roamed under my shirt onto my bare skin.
“Good morning!” yelled Sergio. Thinking he had found a key into our room and was seeing us in this embarrassing situation I tried to roll off of my husband but ended up falling off the bed.
“Shit! Did someone fall?” came Sergio’s muffled voice from outside the door.
“Are you hurt Ivy?” Iker asked getting up from under the covers and kneeling beside me.
“My bottom hurts,” I admitted. “And I might want to kill Sergio.”
“I can hear you,” Sergio said in a sing song voice.
“Are you guys up yet?” David’s voice asked.
“Bet they are making sweet love!” We heard Pepe say.
“Like you can hear us we can hear you,” Iker growled at them.
“Touchy,” Cesc commented.
“Maybe it’s unfulfilled lust talking,” Sergio said.
“No that’s not it because I could hear them last night,” Xavi replied.
“That was actually me and Olalla,” Fernando sounded proud.
“Are you all just standing outside my door having this conversation?” Iker walked over to the door and opened it, a crowd of men entered our room.
“Jesus put some clothes on will you?” said Cesc seeing Iker standing there in boxers.
“I’m dressed,” Jesus responded looking down to make sure.
“Not you Jesus I meant God jesu—never mind I was talking to Iker.”
“This is my room so I can walk naked if I want to.” I stood up and fixed the shirt that Iker had pulled up and looked on in amusement at Iker’s irritation.
“Ugh, mental picture.” Pepe rubbed his temples as if to get rid of it.
“Why has the whole damn Spanish team decided to grace my wife and I with its presence so early in the morning?” Iker said between clenched teeth.
“It’s not the entire team but we could call them and have a party,” Fernando grinned.
“Revenge is sweet,” David smirked merrily.
“Are you guys coming?” Nani said walking into the rapidly smaller room.
“Where are we going?” I asked.
“Del Bosque said we are all to get dressed and join him downstairs in thirty minutes for one of his field trips,” Nani clarified.
“Oh god,” I sank onto the bed. “Not another one.”
“Don’t we have practice?” Iker asked in puzzlement.
“Don’t question just do,” Sergio responded before his girlfriend.
“Fine than don’t question and just go,” Iker mimicked and I bit my lips to keep from laughing as all the guys went to get ready.
I only hoped that this trip didn’t involve lions.
*Iker POV*
This time it wasn’t a safari. Del Bosque had the buses drive out into the rural area and pick a place far away from all the cameras and pressure. We were in a deserted area when we stopped and disembarked. Del Bosque took out some picnic baskets and covers from the bottom of the bus.
“We’re just eating and having fun?” Sergio asked hopefully.
“Yes,” Del Bosque replied. Sergio was surprised because he, along with the rest of us, had been sure the coach would have answered no. “And after lunch with your women you can relax and enjoy the day.”
Fernando raised his hand, “Question?”
“Yes.”
“Why are we doing this the day before the final?”
“I want you to enjoy yourselves today and think about this question, why do I play football?” Del Bosque threw a football into Fernando’s hands. “Only then can you truly win tomorrow.”
Del Bosque than turned and walked away with all the other coaches to set up their picnic area while we all looked at each other with confused expressions.
“This is weird, I feel a trick somewhere,” Cesc said.
“He is sounding more and more like a fortune cookie or guru,” Sergio put in as we all started walking to an area where we would eat.
“This has to be some sort of lesson.” I let go of Ivy’s hand and helped the guys lay out blankets as the women unpacked the food. The kids were already running around playing tag.
“We do have to think about that question.” Pepe looked thoughtful. “I bet we get sit out of the final if we get it wrong.”
“I don’t think there is a wrong answer to that question,” I said placing a blanket on the ground and moving to get another.
“With Del Bosque there is always a correct answer,” David responded.
“Why don’t you guys stop over taxing yourselves with all this thinking and enjoy the day,” Patricia cut in.
“Iker I need your help,” Ivy called with a seductive smile. I left the men and went to help Ivy with passing plates. It was much pleasanter than putting down dozens of blankets for our huge team and I did get to be close to her. Soon we were all sitting down and enjoying the delicious potato salads, sandwiches, and fruits that had been packed. It was really nice to be away from all the stress at the hotel. With the paparazzi there as well as the radio and TV that talked of nothing but our coming match with the Netherlands it had been eating away at our confidence and made everything real. Here in the middle of nowhere on a rather warm day for winter, there was nothing to make us nervous. We had good food and good company.
“I think it is time for a friendly game of football,” I announced standing up. “Who’s playing?”
“Shouldn’t we be resting? We actually have the day off,” pointed out Andres leaning back on his elbows.
“We need some type of practice for tomorrow, besides coach asked us why we love to play and what better way to come up with ideas than playing?” I said grabbing my gloves and the ball.
“You are taking your Captain duties very seriously,” Sergio grumbled as he got up.
“I really hate you right now,” Xavi added.
“Dictator,” mumbled Pepe.
“You should be happy, you’ll be able to be a goalie if Victor doesn’t call it first,” I said setting up empty cans as our goal.
“It!” cried both men. I chuckled as they played rock, paper, scissors for it.
*Ivy POV*
“Aren’t you going to join them Fernando?” I asked watching the footballers set up for their little game.
“Can’t,” Fernando replied looking a little sad. “Knees been acting up.”
“I’m sorry to hear that.” I put a comforting hand on his shoulder and smiled. I knew it was hard for him to admit that and I saw the worry in Olalla’s eyes. He didn’t look back at us as he stood and walked slowly to the edge of the make-believe field to watch his teammates. I hated seeing him so defeated.
“I’m worried about him,” Olalla said when he was out of earshot.
“We all are,” Agnes said putting an arm around Olalla who looked at her husband with so much love in her eyes. “It’s been a tough World Cup for him but we are behind him.”
“He just blames himself so much and thinks he is letting down his friends.” A tear slid down her face before she wiped it away. “I’ve been trying to talk to him but he won’t listen to me.”
I moved closer and took her hand in mine, “We just have to show him that we all consider him a part of the team and don’t blame him.”
“How?” Anna asked.
“Easy, time for us women to show our men the many skills they have taught us.” I looked around and knew that if Iker talked football a lot to me than it was the same with the others. He went over tactics sometimes with me and I had learned more than I would ever have imagined. “And we need to make Fernando see that even if he isn’t playing he is helping everyone on that field.”
We all stood with grins and went to teach our men that we weren’t only WAGs of footballers but footballers too.
*Iker POV*
I was distracted from the game by Ivy, followed by many of the women walking onto our field.
“Nena, what are you doing?” I asked jogging over to her
“We want to play,” she said looking beautiful with her luminous golden eyes.
“With us?” Sergio asked in disbelief.
Nani wasn’t too happy about his tone and narrowed her eyes, “You think we can’t keep up?”
“That’s not what I meant but we are professionals and you are girls.” I tried not to smile at the fact that Sergio was digging his own grave.
“We have learned things over the years from you men and we are suppose to be having fun,” Patricia smiled sweetly at David.
“Please?” Ivy gave me her most loving look and I found myself nodding. She grinned and let her hypnotizing gaze drop so that I could see that all the guys around me had been similarly manipulated.
“I hope they don’t entrance us into giving them the ball while we play,” Cesc said from next to me as we discussed the teams.
“Maybe we should try that technique tomorrow.” Sergio tapped his temple like he was a genius.
“Somehow I don’t think that will work,” I chuckled.
“We need a referee,” Carla said suddenly.
“Fernando!” I yelled to him from across the field.
He looked up and walked over to me, “Yeah?”
“We need a ref and you are the only one that knows all the rules.”
“I don’t think it’s a good—.”
“We need you man,” I said. I knew he had been feeling down lately and this was the perfect way to get him to come out of his shell and see that he still part of the team.
“Alright,” Fernando gave in.
“I’ll be one with him,” Olalla said quickly and went to take Fernando’s hand. I looked past them and saw Ivy watching all of this and caught her eye. I saw in them that she had planned this and I had fallen right into her plan in asking Fernando. I smiled because of the caring nature and the way she could get people to do what she wanted.
The teams were finally taken care of but since it was an odd number someone had to sit out. Pepe was the lucky winner and I found myself playing on the field this time to change it up with Victor as the keeper for my team and two of the girls, Ivy and Nani, were put in the net on the other end to make it fair. David started it off and passed it back to Carles then Xavi took it and ran for the goal. Sergio was there and neatly dispossessed him to give it to Cesc. I made my way back to defend and got the ball when Victor made a save and threw it to me. I passed it to David and ran at his side. We entered the imaginary box and David kicked it to me since he was being crowded out. I shot on target…but Ivy was there. She gave me an incredibly satisfied and sexy smile as she threw it right to Sergio’s feet.
“Now you decide to pick up on my goalie skills,” I said in bewilderment while shaking my head.
She waved me away, “Love you too.”
*Ivy POV*
I had played some football with the team my dad coached for back in Switzerland but not like this. Usually it was just helping with practicing passes and never a full on game. The Spaniards were amazing, I had never really noticed how fast and the ease in which they passed the ball until I was in the middle of it. After being a goalkeeper I was placed in the midfield and it was insane. The guys didn’t go easy on me and I loved that. It wouldn’t have been as fun as it was if they had because if I managed to get the ball past one of the guys then it was real, my little skill had done that and it made me proud. Iker even took the football from me a few times, all revenge for having saved his goal.
I sat out next and I watched with a smile as everyone laughed and grinned. I was happy to see that Fernando was having just as much of a good time giving out yellow cards which there was quite a few but especially when he gave Sergio one for disrespecting his authority. I looked once at the coaches who were all huddles together, discussing tomorrow’s game no doubt. Del Bosque though was watching the guys with a tiny smile and I had a feeling that he was a lot smarter than everyone thought with this outing. It was definitely getting the guys to loosen up.
“You’re back in Ivy,” David said jogging over to my spot. I dusted the dirt off my bottom and went to join my new team which Iker was on.
“We can do this Ivy,” Xavi said as we waited to kick off. I nodded knowing he wanted us to go straight to the goal and Pepe. I passed him the ball and he ran through the defenders followed by Andres for support. No one noticed me as I circled around them since they were too busy with Xavi and Andres. I ran right in front Gerard as they passed me the ball and lined up my shot to the goal. I had pulled my foot back to shoot and was lifted in the air instead.
“What in the world?” I asked confused and looked down to see Gerard. “Gerard! That is a foul! Foul, referee!”
“So not a foul,” Gerard put me down and smirked. “You missed.”
“I would have gotten a goal too,” I replied.
“This is the part where you get in his face Ivy,” Sergio said. “And then we pull you off him.”
“Oh right, what the heck I could have gotten a goal?!” I screamed getting in Gerard’s face. It was hard to keep an evil glare in my eyes when I wanted to laugh out loud at the fake mean look he gave me.
“Say, ‘what is your problem?’” Sergio whispered loudly to me.
“What is your problem?” I was smiling but I stood on my tippy toes to see eye level to him and growled.
Gerard make a strangled noise in the back of his throat and tried not to laugh in my face as he said weakly, “Back off.”
“What’d you say to me?” I got closer and my teammates grabbed my arms to pull me back as Fernando came over. Iker smiled at me widely as he led me away as if to cool down.
“You should be an actress.” Gerard got a yellow card and we got a penalty as well which I let Patricia take since she was the one with the most experience with football from the girls. She got a goal and we celebrated much to the shame of Pepe. David came back in and I was put in the goal with Iker and Victor and Carla were in the other net.
“Hey nena,” Iker smirked giving me a kiss.
“I don’t think this is a good idea,” David said watching as Iker helped me with my gloves.
“Concentrate.” Iker didn’t even look up.
David said under his breath, “That’s what I was going to tell you.”
“You have really big hands,” I said trying to tighten the gloves that were falling off.
“You know what they say about big hands…” Sergio grinned like an idiot as he jogged past us.
“Gross,” I replied.
“…Big feet. Wow Ivy, you have a dirty mind,” Sergio chided me.
“Get in your position,” Iker yelled chucking the ball at him.
“Missed me.” Sergio turned and wiggled his butt in our faces tauntingly. Nani, who was on our team, went up to her boyfriend and smacked him on his behind.
“Nani! We said you’d only do that in private!” Sergio whined and then sprinted to his side of the field when she blushed and was about to tell him off.
“Can we start?” Fernando called from the middle where David and Xavi were kicking off.
“Yes, oh Distributor of Yellow Cards!” Sergio screamed.
“I could start with a red.”
“Oh, no red please Master of Football Rules!” Kick off started and Iker was telling me what to watch out for while the ball was on the other end of the field.
“I know Iker,” I said as he reminded me for the seventh time that Cesc loved to shot on her side and to watch him. I placed my hands on my knees, bracing myself while I watched the play on the other end. Iker was just watching me.
“Watch the ball Iker,” I reminded him as I glance sideways at him. “Not my ass.”
“Do you have to stand like that then? It’s distracting.” Iker leaned back on his heels to get a better angle.
“Then look at the game.”
“Can’t.” Iker protested as I exhale noisily and moved so that he couldn’t see my derrière. “Now I can see the curve of your breast which is equally distracting.’
I stood back up and crossed my hands in front of me, “You need to think about the ball.”
“Can you please pay attention, Cesc is coming,” Sergio warned but it was too late. Cesc kicked and it wasn’t on my side but Iker’s. Iker lunged to the side just as it passed him.
As their team celebrated Sergio cried, “Doesn’t count there was a distraction! I want Ivy and Iker separated!”
“It counts!” Fernando replied. I walked over to Iker who was lying on his back and looked down at him.
“I thought he like the left better,” I smiled cheekily as he grimaced and then repeated words he had told me a few days ago. “You really have to work on your reflexes mon amour, you’re a shame to my goalie name.”
*Iker POV*
We played for another hour before Del Bosque came to us and called a team meeting.
“ I knew it was too good to be true,” Sergio whispered. The women went to pack up the things and gather the kids to get them on the bus while we took a seat in a circle around our coach.
“Why do you play football?” he said making eye contact with all of us.
“Because we’re good at it,” Gerard answered when no one said anything.
“For fame and money,” Xavi said bluntly. We all nodded because we knew it was part of it.
‘For fun.”
“It’s part of who we are.”
“For our country,” David added.
“¡Viva España!” hooted Sergio.
“For ourselves and our families,” I responded. “For each other.”
Everyone fell silent and looked at each other. Seriousness was written on everyone’s faces as we took in the words that I had said.
“We are a family, the only way to play tomorrow is as one. We have to play only for each other and with the same carelessness as you did today,” Del Bosque said breaking the silence. “Play for the people that are on the bench and those that are injured. Through you they are playing their World Cup. They are counting on you to make them proud. For those on the bench the players out there need your support, they need to feel that all day tomorrow. Help each other, be what the other isn’t and we will win.”
*Ivy POV*
I watched as Iker paced around our hotel room tense and in a world all his own. After the boys had entered the bus all the women knew that the gravity and nerves of the game tomorrow were there. Their talk with the Del Bosque had made finally made the next day real to them. I was sitting in bed in shorts and a tank top that I wore to sleep studying him in the lamp light. He wasn’t wearing a shirt, just sweats and he looked magnificent. The light made his skin appear a perfect bronze and danced along his powerful upper body. Yet I could see the pressure of being Captain and the final on his shoulders. His face was grim and I could see that he was mentally going though all the notes he had studied of the Netherland team. I didn’t know what I could do to ease the weariness in him.
“Iker, come to bed,” I said softly. His head jerked up, looking surprised to see me there.
“A few more minutes mi corazon,” he replied distractedly. I crawled out of bed and stood right in his path.
“You said that ten minutes ago. It’s eleven and you need your sleep.” Iker didn’t say a word and went to bed. I followed him and I turned off the lights, lying on my side and Iker did the same. A few minutes passed without talking as our eyes adjusted to the darkness.
“I’m scared about tomorrow,” Iker admitted.
“I now.” I snuggled closer, letting Iker lay his head on my chest.
“What if we don’t win tomorrow?” he murmured as I let my hand tangle through his velvety hair. “I keep thinking of all the people I would let down.”
“Iker, you have to put all that aside when you play. Just think of the ball, the net, and your teammates.”
“You’re right I just don’t know if I’ll be able to.” He sighed and I felt his breath against my neck giving me pleasant goose bumps. “I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep.”
“I can try singing you to sleep,” I joked and sang a few horribly off key notes of another Juanes song I had become obsessed with.
He laughed and lifted his head off of me, “If you continue singing like that no one will ever be able to sleep.”
“Hey! I thought I was pretty good,” I chuckled in indignation.
He leaned into me and place his lips on mine for a soft and tender kiss, “Thanks for trying to get my mind off the game.”
“I can try other ways.” I let my leg seductively curl around his and run down his smooth skin.
“I am very tempted,” he smiled regretfully.
“I’m only teasing, go to sleep.” He laid on his side and I curled next to him. I waited for him to fall asleep before letting myself relax. I wanted to be sure he didn’t get back up and start his pacing. I let his even breathing lull me to sleep, hoping and praying that the next day would mean the end of Spain’s wait and a World Cup trophy.
*Iker POV*
We packed our bags early the next morning. Ivy chatted about anything trying to keep my mind off the game only a few hours away. I appreciated what she was trying to do and it was oddly soothing. It was strange to think that in only a few hours the World Cup would be over and we would have to leave South Africa. Depending on the outcome of the game Ivy and I would either be going to Madrid to party or our honeymoon in Rome.
“I can’t find my necklace,” Ivy said looking around. She look beautiful today in black jeans and a red top with sleeves that hung off her shoulders. She lifted random items to try to find her lost treasure.
“Is it this one?” I asked holding up a golden chain with a red pendant at the end.
“Yes!” Ivy cried happily moving towards me. She took it from my outstretched hands and kissed my cheek. “Thanks.”
She hummed as she took her clothes from the hangers and folded them into her bag, her calm settling my anxiety a bit.
I turned back to my stuff as Ivy said, “Your parents and Unai called while you were in the shower and wished you good luck.
I nodded and glanced at her, “Is my father doing alright?”
“He’s fine, they are all at home in front of the TV,” she smiled at me in that why that made my heart go a million miles an hour.
“We really have to start looking for a house in Madrid when we get there tomorrow. Of course we’ll have to wait a few days to go look at some with all the parties and interview as well as going to your parent’s.” Ivy didn’t look at me but I grinned at her statement, she was already sure I was going to win.
I only wished I felt the same.
There came a knock and then Gerard walked in, “Time to go.”
We gathered the rest of our things and walked downstairs to the buses. This time the kids and women were coming along, wanting to be with us from start to finish. I looked at Ivy and knew that I wouldn’t have been able to do this without her. We stepped into the bus and I found a seat in the back for Ivy and I. Most of the guys had their game faces on, some listen to music for distraction, I just held Ivy’s hand and concentrated on her and nothing else which wasn’t that hard.
“Is Sergio here this time?” Del Bosque asked as he closed the door.
“Here, why wouldn’t I be?” Sergio stood up confused.
“Probably thought you would check on the octopus’s prediction,” Pepe replied.
“Oh no!” Sergio slapped his brow. “I forgot to check online!”
*Ivy POV*
I watch as the guys warmed up from the VIP section. All the girls were as apprehensive as me and we were finally able to show it. We had all acted calm and confident for the men but now we were all on edge.
“God I hope they win,” Carla said.
“Are the Dutch any good?” asked Agnes as the fans started to pile into their seats. They were all in great spirits and ready for a new champion.
“Yeah, they have some really talented players,” I answered.
“And they play rough,” Patricia added as we all looked over at the player in question who were stretching and dribbling just like our men.
“Orange is a terrible color,” Carla said scrunching up her noise at the uniforms. We all laughed glad to be relaxed for a minute. The guys finished up and went to the locker rooms to get changed and have one last talk with Del Bosque. I fidgeted with my hands and nibble my lips but this time I was cover because I had brought chapstick.
“Excuse me,” a man wearing a Spanish team uniform said looking at us. “Del Bosque said that he will allow you all to go down in small group to talk to your men before kickoff.”
The first group of five went which included Patricia. I waited in my seat needing to be there for Iker.
“Shrewd isn’t he?” Nani said searching in her purse.
“Who?”
“Del Bosque,” Nani replied still looking in her purse. “He knows that we are the only people with a chance of making his players play their best and he is using that.”
“He is a mastermind,” I agreed and then frowned. “What are you looking for?”
“Nothing,” Nani blushed. “I’m just scared for Sergio and trying to distract myself.”
“I’m scared for Iker,” I took her hand and we took comfort in each other. Patricia’s group came back and another left. It was only ten minutes until kick off time that I was finally allowed bellow. I went instantly to Iker’s side and hugging him from behind.
“I was getting worried that you weren’t going to show up,” Iker laughed softly turning around.
“I would have sneaked in here if I had to,” I grinned. “Like the super spy I am.” Iker looking down at me with those dark eyes of his and I saw the stress was back. “You’ll do fine.”
“If I don’t?” Iker rubbed his hand along the back of his neck. I grabbed his arm and kissed his hand.
“You will and if you don’t then you still have me,” I kissed his closed lips until I coaxed them open and slipped my tongue to meet his. I was feeling light headed and dizzy when we pulled apart and hopped Iker wasn’t as well or Spain would have a dysfunctional keeper. “I almost forgot,” I said when I found my voice. I dug into my purse and took out the gloves that Iker had let me use while we had played yesterday and forgotten to take back. “These are yours.”
“I have others Ivy but thanks,” Iker replied taking them.
“No, I decorated them for you.” I flipped them around in his palm and let him see the writing in the middle of the glove. One said ‘a goalkeeper can catch anything’ and the other ‘…even love.’ “You are an amazing goalkeeper and you did catch my love but today I want you to catch the football, every time.”
Iker looked at my gift, speechless. “I don’t know what to say.” His dark gaze locked with mine and there was nothing he needed to say. All I saw was confidence, determination, and love in them.
“Kick off is about to start so I have to ask you to return to your seat Mrs. Casillas,” the same man that had come to get the WAGs said to me.
“I’m leaving,” I told him giving Iker one more kiss and squeeze of his hand. “Good luck guys,” I called out to the Spaniards as I walked out of the room and back to my seat.
“How was Iker?” Nani asked when I sat back down.
“He’s good now,” I said as the teams came out.
“Lucky, all Sergio was talking about was not having looked up what that stupid octopus predicted,” Nani grumbled.
“His name is Paul and he is amazing!” Carla said having heard us.
“If he is so amazing than Sergio should just date him,” Nani shot her boyfriend daggers. I coughed to mask my laughter at her expression. I knew in a few minutes she was going to forget her problem with Sergio. Iker presented the whole team to the president of South Africa as well as all the FIFA executive and then the Dutch captain did the same. Anthems were song with feeling and the first half started.
The match felt different for some reason, everyone was taunt with anticipation. We were all shocked speechless when Del Bosque actually showed emotions and yelled at the players. My mouth along with all my fellow WAGs dropped to the floor.
“Did he just…yell?” Agnes asked.
“Yeah.”
“Odd,” I said looking at the man that had stayed in his seat calmly in every other game. “Very odd.”
*Iker POV*
I still couldn’t believe that Del Bosque had yelled at us during a game. It had barely started and already he looked more animated than I had ever seen him.
“Is the coach..?” Gerard started to ask.
“Just keep your head in the game,” I told him and tried to follow my own advice. It was really entertaining to watch this side of him. After the twentieth minute I had yet another thing shock me, De Jong kung fu kicked Xabi in the chest and didn’t get a red card. I yelled from across the field as all the guys rushed to Xabi and the ref in outrage.
“What bullshit!” Carles cried but we couldn’t do anything about it now. Xabi did come back onto the field after he was looked over and it gave all of us a huge boast of energy. No one hurt our teammate and got away with it. We push as hard as we could and the Dutch made a few opportunities for themselves but by the time the whistle blew no one had scored. We walked by the World Cup as we went into the locker rooms and Del Bosque immediately started to tell us how to correct our errors and the weaknesses he had noticed in the Dutch players.
Half time went by way too fast and I found myself back in my net. The first real chance for the Dutch came in the sixty-first minute when Robben broke away from my defenders and sprinted towards goal. Knowing there was no other choice I run forward and I foiled Robben’s attack with the fortunate placement of my foot. The Spanish fans heaved a sigh of relief and so did the team.
“Nice job Iker.” Xabi slapped my hand as I went to get ready for the corner.
“That was way too close.” Carles did the same as Xabi and slapped my gloved hand. The rest of the second half was full of chances but good defending on all sides. No one could break through. In the last seven minutes, Robben once again beat the defenders and made his way to my goal but my legs were already moving. Mindless of my head or an injury with my only thought being of getting that ball, I caught it from his feet and curled my body around the ball. I threw it back out to my teammate and kissed the palm of my hands where Ivy’s message was in relief.
Still no score and extra time was called. I was tired and I knew my friends were just as exhausted. We encouraged each other through the very small break and then I went to talk to the referees and the Dutch captain. Extra time started and we were all hoping that we wouldn’t go to penalties. Nothing was happening no matter what we tried and then Helitinga got a red card. It gave us hope and in the one hundred and sixteenth minute we made it count. Fernando tried to kick it in but one of the Dutch player was there and deflected. Cesc was there and got the ball back and passed it to Andres who kicked it in the back of the net. As all the guys ran to hug Andres, I stood in my net and covered my mouth as I laughed in joy.Play continued and all I kept thinking was that in less than five minutes and we could be the champions. I was worried when I saw Fernando go down in pain but saw that he was being taken care of and turned my attention to the frantic Dutch that were doing anything and everything they could to get a goal and make us go into penalties.
But they had no chance. The whistled blew…we had won!
*Ivy POV*
I loud roar resonated through the stadium as I screeched in joy. I hugged Nani and we jumped and scream in joy as tears fell.
“They did it!” Carla screamed. Olalla was happy but watching Fernando with concern.
“They won!” I yelled at the top of my lungs. I wiped the tears from my eyes and watched the men on the field. Iker was surrounded by his teammates . His legs hadn’t been able to hold him up and he was kneeling on the floor crying in joy as everyone hugged him. I cried harder seeing him and knowing all the struggles and work it had taken to get here. I wanted to leap onto the field and embrace him. I smiled seeing the pure happiness on everyone’s faces and I felt my heart swell and feared it would burst right then and there.
The guys celebrated and clapped to the audience as they changed into their home color of red. I could feel their joy from where I stood and I knew this was going to be a very long night of partying.
“They are going to be impossible to live with for the next four years,” Patricia said her smiled as wide and foolish looking as I’m sure mine was.
“Sergio is going to have such a big head,” Nani said dancing in place.
“Sergio? Try living with Andres,” Anna laughed out loud and we joined in. We watched patiently as the Dutch were given their silver medals and then applauded and hollered when the Spaniards got the gold. They moved to the end of the stage and Iker was last to get his medal before taking his place in the middle of the guys. It felt like the presidents took forever to get to Iker and hand him the Cup. I saw the elation and pride written all over Iker as he lifted it high in the air and cried out in joy. The boys passed around the trophy and shouted to the sky their thanks.
“Come on,” Nani nudged my arm. “Let’s go down to the press area, that’s where they are going to go next for all those interviews.”
I got out of my seat and followed her down to the press area. They didn’t pay attention to us as we mingled with them too interested in the interviews of the Dutch. When the Spanish team showed up a few minutes later they crowed towards them.
“I’m going to try to find Iker,” I told the other girls. I pushed my way through the crowed and when I heard Iker’s voice I followed it. I had a feeling he would be interviewed by his ex-girlfriend Sara but it didn’t bother me, I knew that he was only in love with me but cared for everyone and was helping her career out. I managed to get in front of the crowed and to Iker’s right. He was saying something about his family and friends when he spotted me. I smiled the smile that wouldn’t leave my face and he flashed me an emotional grin. Before I knew what was happening he moved to my side and grabbed me, kissing me on live television.
But I didn’t care. It was like we were the only two people around as our lips moved and we silently told the other the feelings we couldn’t express. We broke apart and he whispered he would meet me on the plane.
There were quite a few whistles and knowing glances thrown my way as he ended his interview and walked away.
*Iker POV*
I laughed for what felt like the hundredth time that night as Pepe, David, and Sergio passed Ivy and I’s seats singing at the top of their lungs. The whole plane was already in party mode as it made its way to Madrid where the party was sure to only intensify.
“That kiss is going to be all over the news,” Carla said from across the aisle.
“Doesn’t matter,” I said leaning my leg against Ivy and holding her hand.
“What does matter is that the guys don’t make the pilot crash,” Ivy joked, giggling as Pepe accosted one of the flight attendants to make her sing.
“I think it will keep them wide awake,” Cesc responded before turning to give his girlfriend a kiss.
“I don’t think I’m ever going to stop smiling,” I told Ivy.
“I don’t want you to,” she said and then gestured to the gloves I was holding in my other hand. “Do you think you’ll ever let those go?”
“No way, these are my lucky charm.” I ran my hand up her neck and behind it to bring her in for a kiss.
“You know,” Ivy said with a sly smile as we pulled away from each other. “The Swiss is the only team to have beaten the World Cup Champions, that has to count for something.”
I laughed and loved the why her eyes were sparkling gold today, “I’m sure your father is going to be rubbing it in my face when we see him next.”
“No doubt.” We both looked out the window to see South Africa passing below us. “I’m going to miss it here.”
“So am I,” I agreed. “It brought me the two best things in the world, the Cup and you.”
“But I was better,” Ivy teased.
“Much better.” Ivy laid her head on my shoulder and I laid mine on top of hers. Both of us just reveling in the feeling of being together on this happy occasion.
“Don’t you think it’s ironic everything for us started on a plane and now it’s ending on one?” Ivy pointed out.
"We've come full circle. I’m just happy that when I get off this plan you will be at my side.”
“Forever?” Ivy asked.
“Forever.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked it! Please comment!
There is only an epilogue left and i will write faster if you give me comments:D
PS Hope you enjoyed the whole Geri part Addy, that one was for you.