T-Shirts and Short Shorts

Chapter Seven

Apparently the only thing to do is spin the spider web like thing around and around, over and over again for the little kids who are too small to do it themselves. Though I don’t mind; I remember what it was like to be small and not being able to have fun because you were too small, and then how happy you got when an older kid or a parent came along and helped you out. So I was helping out the little ones hopefully making them more kind towards others with one spin at a time.

I was so engrossed in going round and round that I didn’t even notice that Claire had arrived. It wasn’t until she called my name and I looked around and wasn’t paying attention to my footing and did a face plant ,and she rushed over to help me. “Are you all right? I didn’t mean to startle you.” She helped me up “No no I’m fine.” I looked back up at the kids sitting in the web; they all held a face of disappointment not because I had fallen but because they had stopped spinning.

“Spin us! Spin us!” they continued to shout. Exhausted I looked to Claire she sighed but nonetheless continued were I had left off. I on the other hand sat on a bench and waited for my head to stop throbbing. Only 10 minutes later the kids starting shouting again “Spin us!” I looked over to see Claire retreating from the web “Come were leaving” she said not even waiting for an answer and walking towards her car. I followed and once in and buckled she started driving “I hate kids!” she said as she hit the steering wheel, I just nodded in response.

I wasn’t sure where she was headed at first because it wasn’t the way to either of our houses; it wasn’t until we pulled up to the street that I recognized it as Carters street. Why are we going to Carters house? “So I have prove that you’re in one piece and alive.” I didn’t realize that I said it out loud. I just hope that Carter isn’t as mad at me as Claire was.

Walking through the door I was greeted by his mother “Hey there Samantha. Glad to see you’re alright Carter has been worrying nonstop about you.” Carters mom is young she had him when she was sixteen. She was like my mother; she had me when she was 17. And our mom’s grew up together and were best friends, and when Julie Carters mom moved away they lost contact until Julie and Jeremy moved back to her hometown. And that’s when I met Carter and the friend my mom always talked about. “Thank-you, Julie.” She always insisted that we call her Julie for some reason I guess caller her Carters mom or Mrs. Dawson made her feel old.

Soon after we saw Carter taking the stairs two at a time and making his way towards us, well me. And I was engulfed in a giant bear hug; it felt like my ribs were going to snap. “Carter, you’re going to break me.” I was barely able to get the words out, but when he heard he slowly released me “Damn girl you smell.”

“Carter that was rude” Julie scolded him.

“Well she does, I’m just being honest.” Which I loved that about him. He usually always told me the truth even if it might hurt my feelings in the process. Embarrassed I looked at the ground “Can I use your shower?” Carter nodded excitedly. “I have your bag in my car, I’ll go get it.” Claire said and then exited through the front door while Carter and I made our way upstairs. I waited by the bathroom door while Carter went to retrieve a towel. He stopped right in front of me with the towel in hand when I went to reach for it he pulled it away “Can I have to towel please?” he shook his head no “Only if I can join.” I rolled my eyes I guess when you’re best friends with a guy they still will act like boys and not your friend. Claire returned with my bag and with the distraction I was able to snag the towel from him and get my bag.

Getting in the shower was the best feeling in the world I was clean and felt more like me again and less of a wreck. Now that I smelt better or should I say like Carter; which oddly I liked the smell of his body wash it was manly but not to strong. And was in comfortable clothes and my teeth were now brushed I would be able to properly communicate and my friends wouldn’t have to smell me. Before leaving the bathroom I stuffed everything back in my bag except for the tank top, it was beyond repair.

From the hallway I could Claire and Carter talking in his room I was about to open the door when I heard him say my name and waited for him to finish “Samantha is just something else, I don’t expect you to understand Claire. And I don’ think she will either.” “How can you know that Carter when you don’t say anything about your feelings. Take me for example” Claire was saying and I decided that know would be a good time to go in before they notice that the water has been stopped for awhile now. I opened the door dropped my bag on the floor and plopped down on the bed beside Carter “Do I smell better now?” he leaned forward “You smell like me, which is kind of weird.”

“Well I thought I smelt yummy.” A grin appeared on his face “You think I smell yummy?” I shook my head “No I said I smelt yummy. There’s a difference.”

Claire coughed from her spot in the chair “Can we stop talking about how good you two smell, to what the hell happened last night.” This was something I didn’t want to deal with but I guess sooner is better than later in this case. They both looked at me wait patiently for my explanation, where do I even begin when I don’t really remember what did happen.

“Well I don’t really remember all of what happened. I don’t even remember how I got to the party, I can remember dancing and having a drink in my hand. I dipped my feet in the water someone talking and flash of light, anything other than that is blank and then this morning...” I didn’t know whether I should continue or not. Claire practically tackled me into a hug “I’m so sorry Sam. I should have been a better friend when you didn’t text me back and went looking outside the house instead of playing tonsil hockey with my boyfriend.”

“It’s alright Claire. Wait! Did you just say boyfriend?!”

“Yeah I wasn’t going to say anything, especially at a time like this.”

“Details” I squealed trying to get the attention away from me “Uh can we do this later I don’t need to know this kind of stuff.” And Carter just had to take that escape away from me. “Text me later on?” She nodded and then it was quite for awhile. None of us knew what to say. I looked at the time “Well I should probably get home, before my mom freaks. I have a feeling that I’m forgetting about something.”

“I’ll drive you home I got to do some shopping anyway.” Carter said looking towards Claire for acceptance and I saw the slight nod in her head and she got up and headed downstairs leaving Carter and me alone.

The whole car ride to my house was silent, not even the radio was on. I was too afraid to turn it on in case he started talking. The only time he spoke was when he pulled into my driveway “Samantha can we talk?” I turned myself in my seat so I was facing him letting him know to continue until I heard the familiar sound of my ringtone; I held one finger up to Carter and dug around my bag for my phone. All I was able to say through the whole conversation was hello and then my mom talked for the rest. I knew I was forgetting about something and that something was my little brother I was supposed to be babysitting him right now. I guess it’s a good thing then that I was parked right outside the house. I hung up with my mom and gave Carter an apologetic look “I’ve got to go my mom just freaked out at me I’m supposed to be babysitting Ian right now. Can we go somewhere to talk tomorrow?”He looked a little hurt but then relieved, now it gave him time to rethink his questions. “Yeah tomorrow is fine text me the time later.” I gave him a hug and left the car.

Inside I apologized for making my mom late for her meeting and started to tend to Ian forgetting about anything that had happened the previous night.