The Blood Painted Cage

Chapter 7

I ignored the smell and instantly zoned in on the cell deeper in the gloom. My heart fluttered slightly as my nerves began to play and questions and doubt began to grow. I did not know for sure if he would speak or even let his guard down. But I had to try. My gut feeling told me it was important that I find out what had happened to him.

Without glancing at the man held behind the iron bars, I concentrated on the small wooden chair and moved it a little closer before I sat with my legs crossed and my hands resting on my lap. Only then did I look up at him and he did not look exactly pleased to see me. In fact he looked quite angry. His eyes were hard and dark and his mouth was turned down in a firm frown as he glared at me. He was sitting down again in a similar position I had found him in on our first meeting but his body was stiff again and his muscles taut. A similar reaction to when I tended his wounds.

I smiled warmly at him which caused his glare to worsen.

“What are you doing here woman?” He demanded in an even tone however I could feel his agitation and anger and his mind was solid when a probed him gently. Suddenly this necessary task seemed even more daunting.

“I came here to sit with you.” I said simply. Technically I was just coming here to sit with him but I still could feel the slight wrench in my stomach. Telling untruths was not something I enjoyed doing at all.

“To sit with me?” He echoed doubtfully.

I nodded my head lightly. “Only to sit and talk.”

“About what?” He asked, flexing his hands in irritation.

“Anything.” I replied vaguely.

He grunted roughly then glanced about quickly before letting his dark eyes latch back into me. “I don’t see your guards here. Where are they?”

“Outside, waiting to jump in if anything should happen.”

“Something will happen, have no doubt of that.” He growled.

I frowned gently. “Why?”

His glare intensified and he refused to speak. I shuffled forward on my seat and leaned forward slightly, cupping my chin in my hands.

“Please tell me why you think you would hurt me.” I asked softly. “I feel your anger but it is not aimed at me, more yourself, which makes me believe I am safe around you.” I watched him carefully after I finished my statement but he seemed to retreat, solidifying his firm mind.

“Just take my word for it.” He said sharply.

I sighed and leaned back in my chair heavily. “I cannot help you if you will not let me Blackburn.”

He laughed emptily. “Help? And how can you help me?”

“I do not know because I do not know what has happened to you, what is causing you to become lost.” I said, fiddling with my fingers. He stared at me with his continuing glare but the emotions about him softened. “I wish to help you and understand what has happened.”

He stared at me, his expression becoming more calculating as his eyes trailed over my face. It unnerved me slightly but I held his stare, holding the firm expression on my face with difficulty. Very slowly and after much staring he nodded.

“I will tell you, Lady.” I grinned in relief and joy which wasn’t smothered at all when his tone became firm. “But you must promise me something.”

My grin faltered. By his expression and tone I knew it was something grave. Hesitantly I inclined my head. “Whatever it is I vow I will carry it out.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Even if it is to kill someone?”

My grin left my face instantly. “I would not carry it out if it is to assassinate however I doubt that is what you ask of me.”

He was silent for a moment as he thought deeply. “You are much too trusting.”

My fingers fiddled again. “I am often told that.”

He grunted in acceptance and half heartedly scratched his hair covered jaw. “Well then, I will take you for your word. Do not go against it. If you want to help me that much, you carry it out.”

I swallowed heavily, suddenly not so sure if I should be vowing to him but if I was to find out why he was half parasite then I had no choice.

“Are you sure you want to make this vow?” He asked, knowing about my obvious doubt. I knew it was clear on my face. I was far too expressionate for my own good.

I forced my head to bob once all the while keeping my eyes on his. He gave me a long look and plenty of time to stop him before he spoke.

“When I go to my trial the Elder’s will order me to be punished under the Second Penalty without really listening to anything I say.” He informed me. “You are the Sinclair, the only member of your clan which inadvertently makes you the ruler of the Clans. No one can go against your word.”

“But I have never used that power.” I objected. “Not once. I have no right to.”

“You will this once as you want to help me.”

My fingers gripped my white dress and a look of fear passed over my features. “What is it you want me to do then?”

“I want you to demand that I go under the First Penalty.” He said finally.

My eyes widened instantly and I had not realised I had stood rapidly and came to stand close to the bars with my small fingers wrapped around it. “You can’t be serious?”

The First Penalty was horrific and it was barely used. Even though I had not seen it in action since I was brought back into my blood world I had been in the room where it was acted. Never had I felt so much cold fear in one place, heart stopping and insane rendering fear. I couldn’t order that on anyone.

He looked at me evenly which slowly became darker and harder as he continued to speak. “I am very serious, Lady, but that is only half of your vow. While I am under the Penalty I want you to find out who was the cause behind my madness and my brother’s death. Once you have a name, wake me then I can rip the bastard’s throat out.” He growled savagely.

I blinked slowly, trying my hardest to calm my racing heart. “There must be more to help you than that, something far kinder.” I said in an almost pleading tone. My stomach was lurching at what he was asking me to do.

“There is nothing currently unless you can figure out some sort of antidote.” He said doubtfully.

“Antidote? Antidote for what?”

“For the poison.” He said irritably. “The same poison that killed my brother after forcing him through hours of agonising pain and what is causing me to lose my mind, causing me to kill randomly.” His anger seemed to be growing now, becoming more erratic.

Alarm spread through me. A vampire should not succumb to any sickness or poison. From my knowledge there was no such drug that could harm them. “Who poisoned you?” I ask urgently.

“A witch.” He spat. “I fought her alongside my brother but it only ended up in death and my madness.” Suddenly he hissed, his eyes becoming red, and he threw his head back hard, hitting his head against the uneven stone behind him. He was breathing heavily and seemed unable to speak but managed to force his voice to speak. “Leave now! I am starting to become lost again.”

Frantically I reached out to him. He was right. A murky shadow was swallowing his mind with a voracious need, dark and ugly. I tried to get past the wall he had built but he adamantly refused, not allowing me entry to sooth him.

“Let your guard down Blackburn. I can help control it.” I asked soothingly, trying my hardest to keep the fear from my voice.

Slowly and very reluctantly he pulled the block of his mind and I swamped him, quickly wrapping myself around his warm essence. I created a wall around him, light and glowing to keep the darkness from swallowing him. It worked. The poison remained away, hovering at a distance and letting Blackburn relax.

I took the liberty to analyse his thoughts then, seeking the truth. What I found shocked me. The pain at losing his brother and hatred for the Witch almost chocked me. And the poison. Now matter how impossible it seemed, it was true. I felt the sharp burning sensation after being stabbed by a strange knife of the witch, his confusion at the black outs so filled with rage and the need to kill, so much so he fled his home, leaving his beloved sister and final clan member behind. He tried to find help but it only caused the blood to react further, pushing him deeper into insanity and blood lust. The only thing he remembered by sight was the cell he was currently in while feeling cold and strangely sick and filled with the unmistakable sensation of self-loathing. He knew what he had done. Sullied his hands with the blood of his own kind and protectors, and in that instant he decided on his revenge and how he was going about it. The only thing he needed was my compliance. Without my help he was dead.

I felt sorrow swamp me as I skimmed through his memories, finding the truth of his words saddening and alarming. Whoever was behind this was strong and needed to be found rapidly before he struck out again.

“Are you quite done?” He said in a hauntingly patient tone bordering on a warning.

I blinked and my eyes refocused, seeing what was in front of me in reality not the memories flashing through my mind. Instantly a blush flooded my face when I realised what I was doing and rapidly stopped, limiting my existence in his mind to just keeping the poison from his mind.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled and didn’t even bother to defend myself. Looking about in people’s minds was something I felt was a major breach of trust and personal space. Even though the reason I reached out to his memories was to ensure he spoke only the truth meant I breached the line I created. Something I now regretted lightly.

“Do you understand now?” He asked, his tone not changing.

Hanging my head, I nodded limply. “I do.” Then sharply I jolted my head up and stared at him with a rare ferocity in my eyes. “And I will protect you. Through your imprisonment I will guard your mind and ensure your sanity. And while I am awake I will find out the source of the source and create an antidote. You will not be plagued by this madness.” I vowed firmly.

He returned my stare with doubt then shrugged. “Do whatever you feel just make sure you wake me when you find the man behind this. I will be the one to take his life.”

I agreed, letting the odd expression leave my face to a familiar gentler one and sat back down on the chair behind me. I kept my hold of his mind even after he tried to get me out. I saw him frown and a glare returned to his unkempt face.

“Why won’t you leave?” He more demanded than asked.

I smiled quickly at him, warm and comforting. “I see no reason to leave. While I keep the poison back I can keep you sane. It also gives me a chance to analyse it.”

He grunted and leaned his back head, closing his eyes to rest. “You’ll get bored.”

“I won’t if you talk to me.”

“And what if I don’t want to?”

“I have plenty of books to keep me occupied. Dana can get me one and I shall read beside you.” I stated simply but kindly. “I believe you will need someone beside you before you enter the Fist Penalty.”

Again he grunted and fell silent. He was silent for so long I gently sighed and reached out to the tight mind of Dana. I soothed her, quickly muttering that I was safe and Blackburn was calm. I told her I had found the information I had sought from him and it was not good. Promising to explain everything to her later, I asked that everyone did what they wished as Blackburn posed no threat and requested she bring me a book. The first she declined, declaring that the three maids and Viorel were not going to leave her while she was alone but trotted off into my expansive library to retrieve one of my tattered old book all the same.

I glanced up when Blackburn’s deep soothing voice broke the silence.

“What is your name, Lady?” He demanded roughly, not bothering to open his dark eyes.

“Eva Sinclair.” I replied. “And what is yours?”

“You know it.”

“I mean your first name. I only know your clan name and I do not want to keep addressing you by it.” I said with a slight frown. He seemed to be causing me to frown quite often.

A small smile tugged at his mouth. “Vincent.”

I smiled widely at him, pleased that he told me. “I welcome you to my home, Vincent Blackburn.”

I felt his amusement in his mind and heard the deep chuckle rumble out from his chest, an action that warmed me and made me blush gently. He realised this and moved so he could look at me directly, giving me an expression mixed between amusement and surprise. Feeling even more embarrassed I almost welcomed Dana when she came striding into the room. She handed the book over to me, glancing warily between myself and Vincent but she seemed calmer and far more relaxed. Seeing my words for herself seemed to have a large impact on her worried mind.

“I will continue to wait outside for you Lady.” Dana informed me before she melted away, leaving me alone to read and Vincent to sleep. He seemed to grip my mind gently, as if he had circled his fingers around my wrist and holding me in one place. I sensed that his mind was calm, probably the first in a long time. And it wasn’t just the poison and madness that plagued him. I felt the long fingers of nightmares creeping about, trying to get to him. I blocked them of course but I also observed them. I was not surprised they were the subconscious memories of his killings and horrific death of his brother. I reacted to this and soothed his mind, cradling him gently and willed him to sleep deeply.

I lost track of time as I read happily and protected Vincent from the darkness within his mind. I was so absorbed that I hadn’t noticed that Dana had entered the room once again until she was in the corner of my eye. I sharply looked up, faintly alarmed until I saw her face but my welcoming smile stopped short when she looked at me gravely, making my heart sink.

“Margot is here.” She informed me without hesitation. “She has come for Blackburn. The Elder’s are ready for him.”