Status: 7/16/2013: Chapter 10 posted, 11 on Saturday!

An American Rabbit in Japan

Chapter 10

When they arrived at the Ootori’s mansion, Kyoya introduced Bunny to a maid who would show her to her room.

“Master Kyoya, your father would like to see you in his office,” said an official, older looking man. Bunny assumed that he was the head of house, like Shima was at Tamaki’s.

“Thank you, Honda,” Kyoya said. He turned to Bunny. “I’m sorry to leave you, but I really should see him.”

“Oh, it’s no problem!” Bunny said, smiling brightly.

“Please, make yourself at home until I return,” he said with a smile.

“Will do!” She gave a salute, which felt much more awkward than it looked, and he left, chuckling quietly.

“Miss?” The quiet maid said to Bunny.

“Oh, yes?”

“I’ll take you to your room now, if you’re ready.”

“I am, thank you.”

The maid giggled. “You don’t have to thank me, it’s my job.”

“Oh… So it is.” Bunny giggled to. She bent to grab her bags, but a few more servants appeared.

“No, Miss, let us.”

“Okay,” she said with a smile.

***

In the guest room she was staying in, Bunny appeared to be asleep on the bed. She opened her eyes reluctantly, as if she didn’t want it to be true, for anything to be true. With a sigh she pulled a small photograph out of her back pocket and unfolded it with the utmost care. She had lost track of time and was starting to get misty-eyed when there was a knock on the door. She fumbled to put the picture back before opening the door to reveal Kyoya and his father, Yushio Ootori.

“Oh! H-hello,” Bunny stammered, blushing as she bowed to him. She felt awkward doing so, but didn’t want to be rude.

“Hello, Bunny. It’s nice to make your acquaintance,” he slowly said in English. He held his hand out for her to shake. “I assume you are more comfortable with this style greeting?”

“Yes, sir,” she said with a smile. “I’m so sorry; I’m still having some culture shock. You speak English very well.”

“And you speak Japanese very well,” he replied, also smiling. Bunny was freaked; it was the same placid smile that Kyoya gave, with a shadowy air lurking beneath. “How are you enjoying Japan so far?”

“Well, I have been here before, with Haruhi Fujioka, but this time I’m alone.”

“Oh, you’re an acquaintance of Haruhi’s?”

“Yes, we’re very good friends. We’ve written letters to each other since we were thirteen,” she said with a smile.

“That sounds wonderful. Would you care to take a stroll with us? A little “tour”, perhaps?”

“Oh, I’d like that very much!” But inside, Bunny just really wanted to curl up and die. She didn’t think she could be more frightened of someone other than Kyoya, and then she met his father.

After what felt like hours, the “tour” finally came to an end.

“Bunny, how do you like our home?” Yoshio asked her.

“Oh, it’s just beautiful,” Bunny said.

“Thank you. But I’ve been thinking,” he said, speaking to both of the teenagers, “why don’t you and your friends stay in our beach villa for the remainder of your time here?”.

Bunny panicked. She couldn’t be rude and refuse, especially since he was being kind enough to allow her to stay on his estate. But a beach villa? Really? She was beginning to feel like the fates were completely against her. She needed to answer soon; if she waited too long it would seem rude.
“That sounds wonderful,” she said quickly, using his words. “I don’t want to be a bother though; I mean, you’re already being such a gracious host by allowing me to stay in your home, I couldn’t possibly impose on you more.”

“It’s not a bother at all,” Yoshio assured her. “We like to be able to visit the villa so dust doesn’t collect, but Kyoya is currently the only one in the family that has a free schedule. It wouldn’t be very enjoyable for either of you if you were to spend the summer holiday copped up here. There’s not much to do in this area, but the beach is just brimming with activities. There wouldn’t be a dull moment.”

It finally dawned on Bunny what was going on.

Oh! I mean; oh, well, if you insist.” She smiled brightly. “Thank you very much!” Yoshio also smiled.

“Since you haven’t unpacked yet, you’re welcome to leave as soon as Kyoya is finished packing.

“Thank you so much, again,” she said with a small giggle. “It was nice to meet you.”

“It was nice to meet you too.” He smiled. They bowed to each other and he left.

“Well, if you’ll excuse me--” Kyoya also turned to leave, but Bunny stopped him.

“Ah- wait. Can I… can I come with you?”

Kyoya raised his eyebrows.

“I’m just going to pack.”

“I know, I just… I just don’t want to be alone.” Her hands were balled into fists, gripping the edge of her shirt. As she spoke she looked steadily at the floor, her cheeks slightly flushed with embarrassment.

Kyoya surmised that if she was with him, he wouldn’t have to send for her when he finished.

“Okay then,” he said, shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly. “But don’t. Touch. Anything.

“Okay!” Bunny looked up to see Kyoya already a few yards in front of her. She squeaked and ran ahead to catch up with him, not wanting to get lost in the huge mansion.

***

As he filled a bag with clothes, Bunny looked around, taking a seat by the window. Everything was very neat and clean-looking. The room was obviously never expecting any guests and was for Kyoya’s personal use; there were countless books and notebooks (there was nothing written on their spines, but Kyoya knew what was inside), his laptop on his desk, and dressers filled with his clothes. The room was intended for him and only him. It was nice, but it struck her as… lonely. Bunny was surprised that there was even the spare chair she was sitting in.

As she was looking at one of the dressers, she noticed that there were framed pictures displayed on it. Though she could tell they were of people, she couldn’t quite see who it was. She wanted to get a closer look, but she didn’t dare to while Kyoya was right there.

Kyoya zipped up his suitcase and walked into his bathroom, closing the door behind him.
Bunny stared at the door for a moment, and then bolted to the dresser.

They were family portraits.

Okay… not what I expected. She wasn’t sure what she did expect. Kyoya just really doesn’t seem like the family type. They were mostly of the men of the family, but one in the very back caught her eye. The dresser was tall, almost too tall, but Bunny was able to just reach it. She thought she would have to blow some dust off of the picture, but to her surprise it was cleaner than the photographs in the front.

It was of Tamaki and Kyoya. Tamaki was excitedly holding a statue in one arm and hugging Kyoya with the other, grinning like a fool. Kyoya was frowning in annoyance, but Bunny wondered if he was secretly enjoying himself. She then remembered it was Kyoya and pushed the thought out of her head.

“Ahem.”

Kyoya was back in the room, staring pointedly at her.

Don’t. Touch. Anything.

Bunny jumped and quickly put the photograph back down, clasping her hands together.

“I’m ready to go,” Kyoya said. “Are you finished with your investigation?”

“I wasn’t- I- I was just-” Bunny sighed. “I’ll go wait with a maid.”

Kyoya rolled his eyes and, on his way out, stopped to see which pictures Bunny had been looking at.
He smirked.

“What an idiot,” he said to himself, thinking of Tamaki. “This is going to be an interesting ‘vacation.’” Kyoya’s mind began to wander; he thought of the last time they all went to the beach, when Haruhi was with them, what happened in his room, or rather, what almost happened…

Bunny poked her head back in the doorway.

“Kyoya?”

Her voice broke his train of thought.

“Yes?”

“The limo’s ready if you are.”

“Then let’s go.”

Yes, this will be quite interesting, he thought to himself, pushing his glasses.
♠ ♠ ♠
Had some internet problems for a while, so sorry for the delay! Story is back on schedule now