Status: Feeling the Water :)

A Marauder's Tale

London

Chapter Four
Written By: Green Raspberries

Flourish and Blotts was the next stop, probably Clarity's most anticipated visit. She loved books and there was the added bonus that most kids her age would rather spend as little time in here as possible, so there was a slim to none chance that she would run into James or anyone similar.

Clarity picked up the necessary books for her classes and then leisurely strolled around looking for any good materials that would be for purely pleasure reading.

“Charms for the Advanced.” She read out loud, she threw that book on the levitating cart as well. “Oh, Creatures of the Deep.”

Half and hour later she had enough reading material to last a lifetime. She paid for her books and left the sanctuary of Flourish and Blotts. She shoved her new purchase into her small change purse that had been charmed to be much more roomy on the inside then it looked on the outside. She carefully placed the stack of books in the purse as not to have them topple over and make a mess, she tucked the feather light bag under her arm and was on to the next store.

Clarity already had a wand so she skipped Ollivander's, not that she would ever buy a wand from her mother's competition. She purchased her cauldron, a rather boring store where she also got her crystal phials and brass scales. One telescope later she was at the bottom of her list and debating whether or not she should purchase an animal.

Clarity had never needed an owl at home, because she didn't need to send letters to anyone but her mother, who she saw every night. Cats were sneaky creatures who always seemed to have an agenda and Toads weren't useful in the slightest.

Clarity decided that she would need at owl to keep in touch with her mother, who would sure be lonely without her only daughter.

Eeylops Owl Emporium was quite the sight. There were many little first years gathered around a rather majestic looking Tawny Owl which eyed Clarity suspiciously as she walked in.

She scanned the shelves and stopped when she saw an owl that looked rather mangy. She poked her fingers though the bars and wiggled them, giggling quietly when it nipped her finger gently.

“I wouldn't get that one if I were you, Miss.” Said a small man, pointing at the owl she was looking at. He was a small man with a large nose that look as if he were to bend forward the sheer weight of it would cause him to topple over. “Real scrawny thing. Got a real attitude as well.”

“I'll take him.” She said in a voice that was rather loud for her usual tone.

The man looked at the girl with curious eyes. After a moment he held out his hand said,

“Five galleons. Seven plus the cage.”

Clarity got home with in three hours of leaving and glided up the stairs to her room where she unpacked all of her purchases and dropped them rather unceremoniously on the floor. She put her owl, still nameless, on the windowsill. She opened the window and then the cage door, allowing the owl to fly out and in as it pleased.

“City?” Called her mother from right outside her room, “Is that you, dear?”

Clarity nodded her head, fully aware that her mother wouldn't see her, knowing that she would let herself in anyway.

“How was London?” She asked, grabbing her packages and spreading everything out the bed. “Cute uniforms. Rather plain though, I suppose it will have your house coat of arms on it when you get yourself sorted, then.”

Clarity nodded again.

“Interesting hat.” Mused her mother, snorting. “Books upon books I see. Always the reader, City. Anything else?”

Just as her mother asked, there was a screech. Clarity's owl flew over head and perched on top of his cage.

“That.” Said Clarity, sprawling out on her bed and pulling out Hogwarts: A History, flipping to the first chapter.

“Rather, shabby looking isn't he?” She asked, regarding the owl with contempt. Scooting farther away from it's cage she caught her daughter's eye.

“I think he's perfect.”