Status: WORKING ON IT

Meanwhile in Chicago...

Six

‘Flight 322 flying to Chicago is now boarding’
I cannot believe I am doing this. For one, if Lizzie found out I was heading to her city, she would kill me for not letting her know ahead of time, and two, I am going to fix the mess I made, well at least try.
As I got onto the plane, I thought about the last week, from the text messages between me and Patrick, and the ‘dates’ I had set Lizzie up on with him. I should have never forced her to ever meet up with his whorish ass. Goodness, that was a big mistake.
When I finally got to my seat and secured my safety belt, I sent a text message to Lizzie.

Text to: Lizzie

Hey I am gonna be AWOL for a few days

Text to: Katey

wait. Why?


I had to sit there and try to come up with a good excuse. Tell her I am heading her way to try to fix things or lie and keep my presence a secret?

Text to: Lizzie

business trip. You can text me, I just won’t have my pc for our epic chats :]

Text to: Katey

well okay. :[ its gonna suck without those especially with everything going on

Shit. Now I felt bad. After her and Pat’s blowup at each other, I have been playing middle man. And trust me, I hated it.

Text to: Lizzie

Gotta go. Ill text you when I land.

I plug in my headphones and settled in for the trouble that was in store.
Once I landed, I headed to pick up my bag and my phone beeped.

8 New Messages, 3 Missed Calls, 1 Voicemail

All the missed calls were from Patrick, so I knew that the voicemail was going to be VERY interesting.

“Katey where the hell are you? Look, we need to talk. If you get this before 9 pm, call me. I am going out on the town tonight. Alright. Bye.”

I looked at my phone. 9:30. Well, I guess late is better than never.
As I hail a cab to go to my hotel, I let the phone ring. Once. Twice. Then finally he picks up.

“Pittsburghhhh loveeeee wassssupppp.”

“Holy crap Kane. Are you already drunk?”

“Nah. Well maybe. Only a little bit.”

I rolled my eyes. “You said you needed to talk to me.”

“I did? Oh wait yeah! Wait. Where were you? I blew your phone up.”

“I was… on a plane.”

“Ohhhhhh. Where are you now?”

I contemplated for a second. So I even tell him? I mean, he was clearly drunk and on his way to trashed. He wouldn’t remember.

“I am in Chicago.”

“YOU CAME TO SEE ME!”

“Well no, but listen you cannot tell anyone I am here. Shit I shouldn’t have even told you.”

“No no. It’s okay. Where are you at now? I wanna finally meet my sexy love from the PA.”

I shake my head. “Heading towards my hotel.”

“Where are you staying? I’ll meet you there.”

“The Drake. But no. How about…” I look out my window. “The Bean?”

“The Bean? How random. Okay sexy Katey. Give me a few.”
I hung up the phone and had the cab driver stop so I could get out at this odd statue. I felt a little out of place staying there with a suitcase waiting for this drunken idiot.

“My sexy penguin? Is that you?”

I turn around to see Patrick stumbling towards me. I rolled my eyes at the new nickname.

“Sexy penguin? Really Kane?”

“Well cause you are from Pittsburgh, and they are the Penguins?”

“Whatever. Holy hell Kane. How much did you have to drink?”

“Not enough to stop me from feeling like shit.”

I tap my foot. “What the fuck do you mean?”

Pat sat down on the nearest bench. “I made her cry. I hate when women cry.”

“Well sucks for you don’t it. Is that all you needed? Cause I could really use my bed right now.”

“No. I mean. I have never met you before, and phone calls and text messages don’t count. I wanna get to know you before you disappear.”

I rolled my eyes. “Fine. But can we go somewhere so I don’t look retarded standing here with my luggage?”
Patrick’s eyes lit up. “Yeah! I live close to here. Lemme take your bag for ya.”

I raised my eyebrow and started walking with a clearly drunk Kane dragging my bag along. Now I see what Lizzie has been saying about this boy having his good and bad sides.
I could get used to this. I thought. Then I mentally slapped myself.
Stupid. You came here to fix things between these two from behind the scenes, not move in on him.

“You coming or are you gonna stand there deep in thought?”
I looked up and saw him smiling at me. Oh that smile. The smile that has probably got him into half of Chicago’s female population’s pants.
Well shit. Two can play this game. I smiled back.

“Of course. I cannot wait to see this magical view I heard about.”
He laughed. “Oh it’s magical alright.”
When we finally got up to his condo, I went to the window and looked at the view.

“Oh wow. It is beautiful. I wish we had this good of view in Pittsburgh.”
He laughed. “Yeah well. It’s not the most beautiful thing I’ve seen, but it is beautiful.”
I rolled my eyes and turned to him.

“Oh really. Then what is the most beautiful thing?”

“Girls from Pittsburgh. Especially this certain one.”
Oh, he is laying it on thick now. I laughed.

“Is that what you Chicago boys call a pickup line?”
He stretched out on the couch. “Nah. Just stating the truth.”

“Kane. You are drunk. You wouldn’t know truth from a lie right now.”
“Oh but I do.” He gets off the couch and walks towards me. “See cause you are standing in my house, in front of me. And I cannot think of anyone or anything else at this moment.”

As he got closer, I tried to keep my breathing at a normal pace, but it seemed like that wasn’t going to happen.

“What about Lizzie?”
“I wasn’t looking for more than a few dates with her. I mean, maybe I do like her. But that isn’t important right now.”
I bit my lip. “Then what is?”

“This.” He took my face in his hands and placed his lips on top of mine.
Oh. My. God. He is a good kisser. But wait. What am I thinking?
I stopped him before my brain quit working.

“Patrick. I can’t.. We can’t..”
He puts his forehead on mine. “Why not?”
I walk away from him. “I mean.. don’t get me wrong. That kiss was… unbelievable. But I am not gonna hurt Lizzie like this. Shit I should of never came here.”

I grab my luggage and left. Not looking back as he yelled my name.