Status: hope you enjoy

School Essays

The Call of the Wild

Buck use to have it good. He was treated well, he was pampered, and he got to be free to do as he pleased. When he first arrived at the arctic he didn’t have a clue why he was there. The other dogs were mean, nobody paid any attention to him, and he even had to dig a hole for him to sleep in to stay warm in the freezing weather. His once glorious, cozy life was over. He now had to learn by the Law of Club and Fang to survive. He was torn away from his old life and thrown into this savage lifestyle. Adjusting was pretty tough. If he disobeyed his master he didn’t just get a mere warning smack on his behind. Instead he got beaten with a club. If one of the other dogs didn’t like him they would viciously fight. This was the Law of Club and Fang.
The Law of Club and Fang is what helped Buck survive (the entire book proves this). If he had stayed his domesticated self he would’ve died for sure. Curly was a sweet, cheerful dog and she didn’t last one day (pgs. 26-27). If he didn’t become untamed he would have been torn apart just the same. The lifestyle, the Law of Club and Fang, they helped him become more dominant, more rebellious. He became of the wild just like his ancestors long ago were (pgs. 160-172).
Buck use to be good, respectful, and obedient. The lifestyle he is in now has turned him into a vicious, disobeying leader. His behavior began with stealing food from the mushers and other dogs getting in trouble for it (pgs. 36-38). When the leader of the pack (at the time) felt threatened by Buck they started getting into some really horrible fights (pgs. 53-55). When the time came for Buck and Spitz (the leader of the pack) to face off in a ‘to the death’ fight Buck won and was now technically the new leader (pgs. 62-75).
Change can be both good and bad. Good change would be like Buck moving out of his comfy mansion. It helped him become hole and it helped him achieve more than he would’ve just lounging around. It may have been easy but it helped him grow and be free. Bad change is like when Curly was killed. Buck wouldn’t have her to be the cheerful one of the group. Even if they weren’t joined at the hip I think Buck felt really sad and quite shocked when she died. Like Buck’s challenges, people may face moving away or losing someone special and it takes adapting to get used to being in a new place or knowing that you won’t be seeing someone again.