Lost in Stereo

Flash-Forward

Jade's Point of View

*Seven and a Half Months Later*

“Jay, sweetie, have you seen my psychology of personality text book?” I called to Jay from our bedroom. We were in our second month of living together and sixth month of dating. So far, things had been smooth sailing save for a small fight here and there, and being in a normal, functional relationship was actually incredibly refreshing.

“Did you check my nightstand?” Jay yelled back from the kitchen. He’d been helping me study for one of my psych classes’ exams, and at some point while he’d been quizzing me the previous night, I’d completely conked out.

I glanced over to his side of the room, which was spotless, ignoring my side which was slightly messy. I spotted it immediately, almost embarrassed for having completely looked it over. “Found it.” I shoved the book in my backpack and joined Jay in the kitchen, where he was sitting in a new suit, reading the newspaper and drinking a cup of coffee. I grabbed a cup for myself and sat down across from him. “Nice suit.”

“Thanks, my girlfriend bought it for me,” he replied, throwing me a smile and continuing to read the newspaper.

“She’s got good taste,” I said, sipping from my cup.

“So are you nervous for your test today?” he asked.

“A little,” I replied. “I’m more anxious for the guys to come home tonight, though.” The guys had been gone the majority of the past few months, though they’d had a few weeks at home here and there. I hadn’t seen much of Alex, though when we did see each other we were civil, as we had agreed to be. He had some new girl that he was talking to and I had Jay, so it seemed we were both happy for each other.

“I bet,” Jay said. “So are we doing the dinner thing with your brother tomorrow or the next day?”

“Oh, you know Jack,” I answered with an eye roll. “He never gives me a straight answer. You know, we’ll probably come home tonight and he’ll be sprawled out naked in the middle of our bed.”

“As long as he doesn’t try to sing to me or make me clean my ears out with him,” Jay said with a shudder. “That was probably one of the weirdest experiences of my life.”

“Imagine growing up with him.” I scoffed and finished off my cup of coffee. I threw my jacket on and slung my backpack over my shoulder, giving him a kiss on the cheek before grabbing my car keys. “Either way, I’ll see you later. Good luck with your job interview today, you’re going to kick ass.”

“It’s just for Job and Family Services, I don’t think they’re looking for me to kick ass, just be efficient,” he replied, smiling again.

“Then be efficient,” I told him, kissing him again. “I’ll call you later.”

We said good-bye and I headed off to school, thankful that I had just a few weeks left of my third year of college. I managed to get through my exam and the following sociology class, and then called Jay on my break to ask about how his job interview went.

“So…?” I prompted upon calling him, anxious to hear the news.

“You are speaking to a newly employed member of Job and Family Services.” I could hear the smile in his voice and he sounded so proud.

“Congratulations!” I told him. “When do you start?”

“Monday,” he answered. Jay started to say something else, but then I had another call coming in on my cell.

“I’m sorry, can you hold on a second?” I asked, cutting him off. I switched over to the other caller. “Hello?”

“Hey,” Skye’s voice came over the phone. She sounded nervous and out of breath, like she was panicked.

“Hey,” I greeted her. “What’s up? The guys come early or something?”

“No,” she said and sucked in a breath. “My water broke.”

“What?” I questioned, surprised. That was about the last thing I’d been expecting to hear. “I thought you weren’t due for two more weeks.”

“I’m not, technically,” Skye replied. “Look, I can’t get a hold of Kellin and I need a ride to the hospital. Can you take me?”

“For sure,” I agreed. “I’m like ten minutes away. I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

“Do me a favor and speed,” she requested, sucking in another breath and hanging up.

I hung up the phone, forgetting about Jay on the other line. I threw my phone in my purse and ran out of the school building and to my car, thrusting the keys into the ignition and driving off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this part is so terrible. Writer's block is the worst, but the next chapter of this story will likely be the last, or there will be one more part after. My lovely co-writer and I are also going to be re-working another old story of ours, which we will post the link to along with the last chapter. Thanks for being awesome, guys!