The Good Day

Explain

"What the hell?" Kelsey screamed from her bedroom and threw a hairbrush at her bed, where Eli startled awake. "Get out of my bed, perv!"

Carri ran to the door to see her fiance climbing out of her daughter's bed. "Eli?" He held up his hand, able to see the frustration overcoming her features.

"This is not what it looks like!" He stammered, his eyes twitching between the two girls. "Carri, please!" She'd already turned on her heel and was storming down the hallway toward the stairs. He fallowed, leaving Kelsey confused in her bedroom. "Carri, come on."

"Come on, Eli? Come one-- are you kidding me? My daughter found you in her bed! My vulnerable daughter. What the hell were you thinking?"

"She was in our bed, not hers. It's not as if I was preying on her." He took her hand and they both sat at the kitchen table, she a little reluctantly. "Look, after our little spat last night I went out. By the time I got home you both were asleep in our bed. You know how my back can get, so I didn't want to sleep on the couch, and I didn't think it was a good idea to take Brian's old room."

Tears sprang to her eyes at the mention of her late-son. Eli squeezed her hand for comfort, the small smile she produced made the water spill from her eyes. She leaned forward so Eli could wrap his arms around her.
___

Kelsey sat in the living room of Max's house, her legs draped over him, the two watching Jurassic Park when the doorbell rang. Max groaned and shifted below her, ready to get the door. "No!" She whined playfully, wrapping her arms around his neck and planting a kiss on his cheek. "If we pretend we're not here they'll just go away." Still, the doorbell rang, again, and the visitor knocked loudly on the door.

Kelsey reluctantly allowed Max to get up. The moment the lock clicked, the door swung open, hitting and pushing Max back, and in stamped Dixy Ray, fuming.

"I cannot believe you sicked the police on me, you little whore!" She slapped Kelsey across the face. Max came to inter vein, standing between the girls. "My parents have had me under lock down. I had to sneak out of my window like some convict because you're keeping up some stupid charade!"

Max growled, "Get out of my house, or I will throw you out, Dixy."

"Why don't you just admit that you asked for it, you little tramp. You got pregnant on accident and now you just have to cover it up with some rape story. You're pathetic!" She reached around Max to slap Kelsey again, but could only reach so that her nails grazed and scratched her cheek.

Kelsey made no noise but tears welled in her eyes. Max grabbed both of Dixy's shoulders and forced her out the door, all the while she swore at Kelsey who sat on the couch with hands covering her face.

I called the police." Max said, locking the door when he finally came back inside. "It was the only way to get her to leave. I think you should press assault charges."

"I don't know..." Kelsey was no longer crying, but she was still shaking. Max wrapped his arms around her shoulders to make her feel better.

When the police questioned her, she gave her statement but decided against pressing charges. "She didn't really do anything but show me just how jealous she is. It's just not worth it to me. I've got enough on my plate."

Detective Frier nodded. He'd come when he heard what had happened. "You most certainly do."

Kelsey looked apprehensively at the detective, wanting to ask him a million questions, but only one coming to mind. "My case is never going to be closed, is it?"

He looked surprised at the assumption. "Why would you even ask that?"

"Because, I'm not even sure that you have a solid suspect and it's been over three months since my brother and I were attacked."

Frier looked at her solemnly. "I'm not giving up, Kelsey. Neither should you." He placed his hand on her shoulder. "If you remember anything you call me at work or at home. You know my number."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait, y'all! Happy to be back, though!