I Woke up Next to Lukas Podolski and Holy Crap We're Married

Meeting the In-Laws

*Lukas’s POV*

“There is no way I’m going!” Reyna cried as she ran on the treadmill. I once again had to rip my eyes away from her gorgeous body. She was wearing black shorts and a white tank top and I couldn’t helping thinking that I was married to the most beautiful woman in the world.
“You have to,” I replied calmly walking to stand right in front of her. “I can’t really show up alone after they invited us because they want to meet you.”
“Well why now? You’d think someone would want to meet their daughter-in-law sooner,” Reyna argued.
“My parents were out of town. They went on a long vacation in some remote part of Africa. Don’t ask, it was some weird dream they always had,” I added when she raised her eyebrow. “They could only call a few times and I didn’t have the guts to tell them. When they got back they figured it out.”
“How?” Reyna asked, her lushes hair swinging from side to side as she ran faster.
“If you haven’t noticed our pictures are everywhere,” I chuckled at her small blush. “The magazines and TV love to talk about us.”
“Oh,” was all she said.
“Anyway, they really want to meet you,” I continued remembering my mother’s shocked yet pleased voice on the other line yesterday afternoon.
“Lukas I can’t do it!”
“Of course you can. We’re expert at this by now,” I responded getting on the treadmill behind her to run at the same time. I knew it would make her nervous at how close I was and easier to convince her of coming.
“L-Lukas, what are you doing?” she squeaked looking back at me.
“Running,” I said innocently.
“Can’t you run after me?”

“I am running after you,” I replied with a cocky grin.

“You know what I mean.”
“No I can’t. Why do you ask? I’m I making you nervous?” I ran a bit faster so that I was only inches away from her. I could hear her catch her breath and I caught her when she stumbled a bit.
Reyna shrugged off my help and straitened up like a queen, “Of course not.” I smirked. “But I’m still not coming.”
“Why the hell not?” I asked impatiently as I found my eyes drawn to her shapely ass. Focus Lukas, I chided myself.
“Because,” Reyna said stubbornly. “The media, okay. They’re easy because they wouldn’t see through our act. Your friends, fine. It was hard but we could make it. But your parents? They would see it was a ruse in two seconds.”
“Come on Reyna, give us more credit than that,” I responded.
“No,” Reyna said simply stopping the treadmill and jumping off. She grabbed a towel and ran it along her swan like neck which I desperately wanted to kiss at that moment.
“Please Reyna,” I pleaded.

“Nein,” she repeated. God she sounds so sexy when she speaks in German, my wondering mind thought. Clear begging wasn’t working so I was going to have to try something else. Knowing I was playing dirty I backed her up against the wall.

“Lukas,” Reyna warned.

“What?” I asked smirking. “Can’t a husband be near his wife.” I swore I saw a pleased expression on her face when I called her my wife but it then turned to something else entirely when I ran my hand down her cheek as I asked her one more time to go visit my parents. When her answer was the same I let my hands run through her chocolate colored hair. Each strand felt like the richest silk as I gentle cupped the back of her head to pull her towards me. She seemed to not be able to resist leaning in as she rested her palms on my chest. I lowered my head but stopped a few inches from her lips.

“Say you’ll come with me to my parents’ house,” I whispered. I smiled inwardly as I felt her resistance crumble and took my hard earned prize.

*Reyna’s POV*

You are the weakest female on the planet, I thought to myself as I stared out of the car window refusing to look at my temptation. I was seriously pathetic. The prospect of even one of Lukas’s kisses had me throwing my stand on meeting my in-laws out the window, showered, packed, and ready to leave two hours later. It would have been one but I had trouble finding the perfect outfit to meet his parents in. I couldn’t find clothes that were decent looking yet that wouldn’t give Lukas’s parents the impression that I was a slut. I had to try on ten different outfits before I had come up with what I was wearing now--white pants, pale pink shirt, and heels--and arguing at the pointlessness of my needing to make a good impression the whole time. It wasn’t like they were going to be my in-laws for much longer, why should I care? But I did and I convinced myself that the only reason I was going through all the trouble to look nice was for myself and my pride--not because I actually cared what they thought. But either way I was stuck in Lukas’s Ferrari on the way to his parent’s house and I was terrified but I couldn’t help the thought that the amazing kiss I had gotten in exchange was well worth it. Weak, I repeated to myself as the song Good Girls Go Bad by Cobra Starship played. I grinned despite myself, the song definitely understood me and Lukas’s relationship.

“Thank god,” Lukas spoke up for the first time. “I thought that you were going to be mad the whole time.”

“I am mad,” I replied stubbornly, wiping the smile off my face quickly.

“Then why did you smile?” Lukas asked glancing over at me.

“Just keep your eyes on the road,” I said crossing my legs and couldn’t stop satisfaction from running through my body when Lukas’s eyes involuntary went to them. “Lukas I’m not even wearing a skirt. You can’t see anything.”

Lukas laughed, “Doesn’t matter. You have the hottest legs on the planet.” I blushed. “And I can’t help thinking that on our wedding night they were wra--.”

“Lukas!” I cried slapping his arm as my face turned a bright red--because I was thinking of the exact same memory.

He grinned, “So are you going to tell me why you were smiling after so many kilometers of grim silence?”

“Because of the song,” I admitted.

“Oh I see. I’m flattered, you think I’m the apple that you took a bite of and now your losing control.” Lukas flashed me his cocky smile that went all the way to his cobalt blue eyes.

“Don’t flatter yourself,” I rolled my eyes and turned my head so that he couldn’t see the truth in my eyes. But his laugh told me he knew. “Can’t we change this song?” I leaned forward and clicked the arrow to the next radio station where Waking Up In Vegas by Katy Perry was playing. I quickly pushed the button again and landed on Masquerade by Ashley Tisdale. I wanted to bury my flushed face into my hands. Did the radio world hate me so much that it was playing all these songs that related to Lukas and I? Finally I landed on a safe song, So Fine by Sean Paul and sat back. After a few minutes of silence my nervousness began to settle in again. I sat twirling my ring and tried to calm myself. What if they didn’t like me? What if I blew the ruse? What if they thought I wasn’t good enough for Lukas? Oh god, what if they were like my parents? What if--?

“Calm down Reyna,” came Lukas’s strong, confident voice. I snapped my head up and collided with his gaze. “They are going to love you.”

“I’m not so sure,” I all but whimpered.

“Well I am. There is nothing about you that I would change--despite what you or your mother think,” Lukas growled fiercely. I couldn’t talk past the emotion that had kidnapped my tongue so I just nodded. His words brought a calm over me that lasted a whole thirty seconds before I noticed what I was fidgeting with.

“Oh my god! Your family ring!” I cried quickly slipping it off my finger like it was on fire. “I can’t wear it!”

“Now you’re being ridiculous Reyna,” said an exasperated Lukas.

“I am not! This is a precious piece of jewelry that has been with your family for years,” I explained placing it on the dashboard. “I am not family and would feel horrible wearing it.”

“You are family,” Lukas replied intensely. “You are my wife-- you can’t get any closer.”

“But--.”

“Don’t give me the bullshit that you’re my fake wife. We were married for real, no tricks! So right now that gives you every right to wear it,” Lukas said with so much passion that my eyes went wide. “Besides, my parents will be expecting you to wear it,” he said more evenly. “Please just wear it.”

“Alright.” I took the shining ring back and slipped it on my finger.

“Thanks,” Lukas responded running one of his hands through his hair.

“No problem,” I answered awkwardly.

“You’re not going to freak out again are you?” Lukas asked with a small smile to lighten the mood.

I shook my head, “No, I’m okay now.”

“Good because we’re here.”

*Lukas’s POV*

“Are you sure?” Reyna asked with pleading purple eyes.

“Yes,” I replied knowing not to tease her right now. Hell, it was always hard to meet the parents of someone you were dating and the fact that she was doing this when we were not technically together--yet-- was very brave. She turned to look at the little town as we drove by. It was pretty small with about a thousand residence. This town which my parents had decided to move to when I had started my football career was in the south of Munich in an area that was surrounded by towering mountains. The town had one main road and that was it, all the others winded along smaller streets and up into the hills where most of the villagers lived. There where no malls or million dollar shops here. The main road consisted of a general store owned by the Schmitts, a restaurant which had been in the Lewitch’s family for three generation, a flower shop cared by the feisty widow Mrs. Freud whom we all thought was crazy but still loved, the Hotel Inn, and a small clothing store. Most people who stopped by never wondered much past the main street which was their loss because down the smaller streets was where the excitement happened. In my opinion there was the best tavern in Germany right behind Main Street, where Mrs. Berg still homebrewed her beer, the disco originally named Dance Hall, and all the unique shops that sold anything from homemade pie to handmade jewelry. But no matter where you went in town you had the feeling that you had stepped back in time with the classical German façade on all the building and homes. It was a town where nothing stayed a secret and everyone knew their neighbors. I loved coming here because it gave me a chance to leave the fake smiles and superficial world for one with genuine people with sincere emotions and a town that lived one day at a time. I looked over at Reyna wanting to share this unique town with her and hoping that she loved this place as much as I did. I had nothing to worry about as I found her eyes darting from one sight to another as quickly as possible with her violet eyes drinking everything in.

“If you lean any closer you’re going to live a nose print on the window,” I joked as she blushed for the hundreth time that day and sat back.

“Sorry.”

“Don’t be. I’m glad that you like this town,” I replied pleased by her reaction.

“I think it’s wonderful. I would love to live in a place like this,” Reyna said dreamily.

“If you want I could show you around tomorrow,” I suggested as I turned right and up a hill, passing many little homes. “Since today my mother is probably not going to let either of us out of her sight.”

“I’d love that,” Reyna said with a smile. I nearly ran into a tree at the effect it had on me but managed not to. Finally on level ground again, a few feet above Main Street I followed the road towards the back where only three house and a ranch were. Driving to the last one I pulled into the driveway of a pure white cottage home with a traditional roof. Vines were winding their way up the side of the house with beautiful purple flowers that made me instantly think of Reyna’s eyes in bloom. The forest was right beside the home and the garden was overgrown as usual but added to the rustic feeling of the whole environment. I got out of the car and moved to Reyna’s side and opened the door.

“Thanks,” she mumbled as her furious assault on her ring started once again. I took her hand in mine and gave it a squeeze as I led her to a path next to the house.

“What about the bags?” Reyna asked.

“I’ll get them later.”

“Well where are you taking me?” she said pushing aside a branch of wildlife out of her way.

“My parents should be in the backyard at this time,” I explained continuing to drag her along, knowing that if I wasn’t holding her she would have fled. We pushed through the toughest part of overgrown grass and trees and came upon my parents sitting around a wooden table arguing over their card game.

“You cheated Waldemar!” cried my mother wagging her finger at him, neither of them noticing us standing there.

“It’s not my fault you can’t play poker,” my father retorted gathering the cards and shuffling them, relaxed as my mother got angrier.

“Should we do something?” Reyna said nervously from my side. I shook my head and gestured for her to keep looking. I had a feeling that when her parents argued it ended with tears and harsh words. Mine always ended another way.

“Don’t lie! You know you cheated!” my mother accused standing up. “I refuse to do the dishes since you cheated, the deal is off--.” My father grabbed my mother around the waist and pulled her in for a kiss.

“I’m sorry Krystyna,” he said keeping his cheek pressed against hers.

“I’m sorry too,” she said with a warm smile getting off of him. “I’ll do the dishes.”

“That’s how our arguments will end not like your parents,” I said softly to Reyna looking deep into her eyes. The shadow of an unknown emotion passed through them as she grabbed my shirt collar. In that moment I was sure that she was about to kiss me but I never knew for sure because it was the exact moment that my mother noticed us.

“Lukas!” she screamed in joy as my father got up. Reyna’s hand quickly dropped from my shirt and she turned with dignity towards my parents.

“Mom,” I greeted letting go of Reyna’s soft hand reluctantly and wrapping my mother and then father into a hug.

“You’re late! I told you to be here at four and it’s six,” my mother chided me.

“I’m sorry we had a few problems getting here.” I winked at Reyna when my family wasn’t looking and she bit her lip to keep from laughing.

“I am too. I had to listen to her complain for those two hours,” my father mumbled and I gave him a sympathetic look. My mother was known for her tirades.

“You two are being so rude,” my mother said giving my father and I a soft slap on the arm. “What about our guest.” Switching to English she enveloped Reyna in a hug before I could say anything. “Welcome Reyna!” My wife seemed in shock by my mother’s familiarity but happy as well. I had an inkling that her mother wasn’t a very touchy person. “It is so good to finally see the woman that has our Lukas so crazy that he married her without his mother present knowing that said mother has a temper and would have a few choice words with him.”

“I’m so sorry,” Reyna said moving her ring and then noticing she was doing it and tried to hid her hand with the ring behind her back. “It was all very sudden and--.”

“It’s perfectly fine dear,” my mother gave her a reassuring smile. “Please sit.” I moved to her side and putting my arm around her middle brought her to one of the chairs and helped her sit before sitting down next to her. My heart almost burst with joy when Reyna unconsciously leaned towards me and I couldn’t help taking her hand once again.

“Mom, you can talk in German for dad,” I said. My father had only a basic understanding of English and since Reyna was such a great German speaker it would make things less complicated.

“You speak German?” asked my father curiously, focusing his attention on Reyna.

“Yes, sir,” Reyna said in the language meeting his gaze with more confidence than I knew she had. “It’s not the best but I’m improving daily.”

“Don’t be shy Reyna. You speak amazing German,” I said draping my free arm over the back of her chair.

“It’s true my dear,” my mother agreed. “You’ve been in the country for what? A few months and already you sound amazing. Lukas will have you sounding like a true German by the end of the year.”

“Thanks,” she blushed and kicked me under the table because of it. I gave her an amused grin as my parents started bombarding us with questions. They honestly wanted to know everything. At first Reyna was wound up in nerves and scared to say the wrong thing but soon she was laughing and joking with my parents. True contentment overcame me as I watched Reyna untroubled and giggling in my family home.

“Well,” my mother said standing up an hour later. “It’s time for me to start dinner.”

“Care for a game of poker?” my father said holding up the deck of cards.

“I’m in,” I said then giving Reyna a devilish wink. “What about you Reyna? Care to wager like the last time?”

“I think I’ll pass,” she flushed red--I would never tire of it-- before getting up. “I think I’ll help your mother with the food.”

“The kitchen is on the left,” I told her as I watched her retreating back…and ass. Even when she was inside I kept looking at the door she had gone through.

“Don’t worry Lukas, you’ll get her back,” my father smirked at me as he reached into the sleeve of his long shirt and withdrew the losing cards that he had switched with winning ones out.

“Whatever,” I replied taking my cards. "Still cheating?"

“I see now why you married her so quickly,” my father replied looking at his cards and ignoring my question.

“I told you she was wonderful, beautiful, and smart,” not bothering to ask my question again.

“Oh yes,” he responded and then betted. His next words froze me in place. “She also has your heart firmly in the palm of her hand just as you have hers.”

*Reyna’s POV*

While the men were outside doing weird guy stuff I got to learn from one of the best cooks. Lukas’s mother certainly made me feel at home and quickly had me helping her make the meal and dessert. Not knowing how to do any of the traditional German foods she had panned she patiently went through every detail. No question was too small or insignificant. In that hour I learned more about food than my whole life and I loved every minute of it. Krystyna was kind and had many tricks about cooking and jokes to keep us entertained. Soon the kitchen was filled with the wonderful smells and we called the men in and sat around the table.

“It smells wonderful mom,” Lukas complimented.

“Your wife helped,” his mother added.

“Then I’m sure it will de delicious,” Lukas said serving the salad and bread.

“I just can’t wait to see if it tastes as good as it smells,” I smiled. The whole family laughed and we all dug in. The conversation went smoothly and I found myself joining in often, it was strange to think that since I had come to Germany I wasn’t the shy woman I had been and that the people here were just so much more welcoming and accepting than my parents and their circle of acquaintances. Soon the main meal came out and I tasted my first schnitzel along with dumpling and fresh vegetables that Lukas’s parent grew in their garden. The only thing that grew in my parent’s house was hundred dollar flowers imported from Europe that they paid a man to tend.

“This has to be the best food I have ever tasted,” I said taking another bite of my schnitzel.

“You should try it with some good German beer,” Lukas’s father replied pushing a full mug my way.

“I don’t think I should,” I said in alarm.

“Try it,” Lukas said imprisoning my gaze. “Last time you tried some didn’t end that badly.”

“No…no it didn’t,” I said out loud and knew it was true when I looked at Lukas. It had gotten me married to him. I grabbed the mug and took a swing of it. It was strong but I managed to keep it down which seemed to impress his father who grinned at me. “Damn good,” I relied boldly as they all smiled. Dessert came and went and our discussion turned to embarrassing stories of Lukas.

“Mom, please don’t tell that one,” he groaned running a hand across his eyes.

“Please do,” I said eagerly.

“When he was about twelve years old he was at the park with some of his friends and being a boy had to do something stupid---.”

“Mom, please.”

“--so my little Lukas decided to sit in one of those rocking animals that they have at the park for the babies. But instead of going with legs in first he drops his little behind in. Needless to say that he got stuck there and couldn’t get out,” his mother continued as Lukas looked up at the ceiling. “So one of his friends Kenneth came to get us and we had to rush to the park. It took a few minutes to get him out because we laughed for a minute straight--.”

“Some parents you are,” Lukas complained but I heard the lightness in his tone.

“Well it wasn’t our fault,” his father defended. “We couldn’t helping laughing at you stuck there with your legs and arms flailing all over the place and cursing at us.” I laughed so hard that tears welled up in my eyes and I had to clutch my stomach in pain as i imagined the scene.

“Alright I think that we’ve had enough for one night,” Lukas said standing up and taking my hand so I would follow. “We’re going to bed. Thank you for dinner and we’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight honey,”hismother said. “And you too Reyna.”

“Welcome to the family,”hisfather added as we walked out of the room. Leading me to the stairs he briefly pointed out the main rooms of the house before we went upstairs. Lukas passed two doors and open a lone one on the left.

“This is where we’ll be sleeping,” he said before turning back around. “I’ll go get the bags.”

“Okay,” I responded. As he went back down I switched the light on and entered the room. I knew instantly that it was Lukas’s room when he stayed at his parents house. It was very masculine with brown painted walls and dark furniture as well as a closed door that I assumed was the bathroom. Their was a large armoire at the far corner of the room for clothes and then a small desk next to it. The huge bed took up most of the room and the large windows were open to let in the fresh mountain air. I walked and leaned out looking up at the sparkling night sky with millions of stars shining down on me. That was when Lukas’s words hit me…he’d said “this is were we’ll be sleeping’. As in together! Oh my god, my mind screamed! What am I going to do?!

“What did you pack in this? It’s just the weekend,” Lukas said as he came back and closed the door. All I could do was stare at him. “You okay?”

“Fine,” I squeaked.

“It’s about the sleeping arrangements right?” he guessed correctly. He turned his back and rummaged through his bag as he spoke. “They think we’re married, I can’t very well ask for a different room.”

“Of course not,” I replied. Duh stupid, I thought. I grabbed my shorts, a tank top to sleep in, and toiletry and went into the bathroom to change. When I came back out it was to find a half naked Lukas. Calm breathing, I told myself as I climbed into the bed. Lukas turned off one of the lights so that only a soft glow illuminated the room. Then he told climbed into bed too.

“W-what are you doing?” I asked surprised. I knew we had to sleep in the same room but I would have thought he would have slept on the ground like the time we had to share a room in England.

“Sorry but my mom--,” Lukas started but was interrupted when the door swung open.

“Just checking that you have everything you need,” Lukas’s mother said. I quickly brought the covers to my chin feeling awkward at being caught in bed with Lukas.

“We’re fine mom,” Lukas sighed in a tone that indicated this was common.

“Don’t need blankets or an extra pillow?” she insisted, cocky her head to the side and studying us.

“We just want to sleep,” Lukas replied with a pointed look.

“Very well then. Sleep well.” She closed the door behind her.

“What was--?” Lukas’s hand stopped me in mid-sentence.

“And one…two…three,” he whispered and then the door flew open once more and his mother’s head popped in.

“Just reminding you that you can sleep as long as you want tomorrow morning and to just enjoy your day off.”

“We will. Thank you mom,” Lukas said.

“Goodnight then,” she responded before slipping out. When we were alone Lukas laid back and crossed his arms under his head.

“That is why I have to sleep in the bed. My mother has an annoying habit of checking in on me without knocking. She does it often and without warning,” he explained looking at me with a sheepish grin. “No locks on the doors so I’m sorry to say that you are stuck with me the whole night. Can’t have my parents thinking we hate each other by having my mom walk in with me on the floor.”

“You’re right,” I nodded also laying back. I rearranged my pillow a few times to make it comfortable as Lukas turned the last light off and the room plunged into darkness. I faced away from him and tried to move as far away as possible from his body and the temptation to turn to him. After a few minutes of silence I asked, “Lukas?”

“Yes.”

“I have to warn you that I move around when I sleep,” I admitted to the dark. It was maddening that even know I was aware of his body only inches away from me.

“Why is it a warning?” Lukas replied sleepily.

“Because I don’t want you to freak out if I happen to be draped on you when you wake,” I said embarrassed, bringing my hands to rest under my chin.

“Don’t worry Reyna,” Lukas responded and suddenly he sounded wide awake again. “Waking up to finding a beautiful woman on top of me doesn’t sound so bad.”
♠ ♠ ♠
---Comments will get the next part up tonight:)
--Hope you like it!