Status: WORKING ON IT

This Love Will Be Our Downfall

Elf

“Fuck her and that asshole.” I said walking back into the waiting room. Brent and Jon look up at me.

“I take it Pat fixed things?” Brent asked.

I narrowed my eyes. “That fucker shouldn’t have had been given a second chance. But whatever, I am out of here. I need to start looking for places to live; I am done with their shit.”

Brent stood up. “Want me to drive you back to the condo?”

I grabbed my purse and ran my hand through my hair. “Yeah that would be great. Jon, if anyone of them asks where I went tell them to pack my shit.”

Jon nodded as me and Brent walked out the door and to his car.

The car ride back to my – Lizzie’s – condo was a quiet one. Brent, knowing I needed to relax, grabbed my hand and rubbing circles with his thumb.

I looked out the window. “She pretty much called me stupid.”

“Why?”

I sighed. “Cause I made the mistake of not believing you when you said you would really drop everything for me.”

He pulled in a parking spot and pulled me into a hug. “It’s okay. I mean, I now understand where you were coming from.”

I pulled away and gave him a skeptical look. “Now you do?”

“Okay so maybe I did from the beginning but was too stubborn to admit it.”

I laughed. “About time.”

We headed up to the condo and I looked around.

“Well, it was fun while it lasted.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay around and wait for Lizzie to come home?” Brent asked.

I grabbed my suitcase from the hallway closet and took it into my room. “No not really. Don’t get me wrong. I love her to death, but her decisions are stupid.”

“Why? Cause she loves the guy?”

I turned around and glared at him. “So you are on their side too?”

He held up his hands. “Now wait a –“

I pointed to the door. “Get out. I don’t need a fucking lecture about how she loves him and she is carrying his child. He fucking took another girl back to his condo where he knew she would be! I don’t give a fuck who the hell he thinks he is, but if I were in her shoes, I would have been long gone. Fuck him, she can do a hell of a lot better than that scumbag.”

“That is my teammate and friend you are talking about, now some of his decisions may not be good, he loves her.”

“So what you are saying, is that you would do the same thing?”

“I went out with you behind Hanna’s back didn’t I? And you would have never known if it wasn’t for seeing us at lunch.”

I felt my eyes tearing up. “Get the fuck out now.”

“Katey, I’m sor-“

I shoved him out of my room. “I said now!” I slammed the door behind me and slid down it.

It was a few minutes before I heard the front door close, then the tears started to flow.

I got up and started throwing shit into my suitcase and around my room. I then went into the living room and started pulling DVDs out and throwing them across the condo. The tray with the dishes on it from breakfast was still sitting on the table; I picked every dish up and threw them on the ground, breaking them into tiny pieces. I finally couldn’t take it anymore. I collapsed on the couch and cried myself to sleep.

A couple hours later, I was being shaken.

“Katey wake up. We need to talk.”

I open my eyes to see Patrick standing over me. “Get the fuck away from me Kane. I have nothing to say to you.”

“It’s about Lizzie.”

I sat up. “What now Kane, you want me to baby-sit her when you go run around on her again?”

He rolled his eyes. “Get off your fucking high horse, I said I was sorry. It was a stupid mistake and I promise never to have it happen again. I need you to do us a favor.”

“What is it this time?”

“Well I’m sure you know, but the doctor said Lizzie needs to take it easy for the next few weeks and to relax, and I was wondering if you would be her nurse.”

I snorted. “The sad thing is, I planned on being out of here before you guys came back so I wouldn’t have to deal with your bullshit.”

He smirked. “Where would you go? You don’t have a job, so getting a place by yourself is out of the question.”

I pushed my way past him. “Fuck you Kane. I was actually considering your offer but now you can fuck off.”

He grabbed my arm. “Okay I’m sorry. That was totally out of line. But would you? You are her best friend.”

I looked at him. “I don’t have any other choice remember? I don’t have a job.”

He smiled. “I will pay you, so don’t worry about money.”

I rolled my eyes. “Fine. Whatever.”

I started to walk to Lizzie’s room when Patrick asked. “By the way, what the fuck happened in here.”

I shrugged. “I got mad and took my frustration out on inanimate objects.”

I walked into Lizzie’s room to see her propped up in bed reading some book in Polish.

“Hey.”

She looked up. “Hey. Look I’m sorry for what I said.”

I held up my hand. “No I am. You were right. He was the father of the baby he deserved to be there. But it doesn’t mean I forgive him for what he did. I still cannot believe you forgave him so quickly.”

She shrugged. “I love him; you should have seen the look in his eye when he heard the heartbeat. I think everything will be okay from now on.”

I sat down. “But what if this happens again? Are you going to continue to take him back with every fuck up?”

“No.” she said. “He knows if something happens like this again, I am moving to Poland to be with my family and he will never see his child.”
“Wait, you’d leave me?” I joked.

She rolled her eyes. “Don’t pretend I didn’t see your suitcase sitting in the hallway. You really want to move out?”

I picked at my nails. “Well no, but I couldn’t sit here and watch you fuck up your life and my future niece or nephew’s life.”

She smiled. “I swear, if he does something like this again, you can personally tell me ‘I told you so’ and kicked the crap out of him.”

I laughed. “Okay. Deal.”

“So where is Brent? I figured he would have still been here.”

“Can we not talk about this?”

She looked worried. “What happened?”

“When we got back here, we got to fighting about your whole situation, I asked him if he would ever do something like Patrick did, and he threw the whole going out with me behind Hanna’s back thing in my face, even the fact that if we didn’t see them at lunch that one day, I would of never known he had a girlfriend.”

“That bastard.”

“Yeah well. That’s why the condo looks sort of in shambles; I got pissed and destroyed a lot of stuff.”

She hugged me. “It’s okay.”

“Well anyway, I came in here to tell you that Patrick hired me to be your live-in nurse, so I kind of need to make sure you comfortable and if you need anything.”

She looked around. “Nah. Right now I am good. I really wish I could go shopping though.”

I laughed. “I am in the shopping mood, so maybe I will pick you up something when I am out.”

I walked out the door to see Patrick talking on the phone with someone.

“Look man, that was a shitty ass thing to say.” Pause. “Yeah I am glad you tried sticking up for us, but man you love her.”

He turned around to see me standing there. “Dude, I’ll call you back.”

He hung up and smiled at me. “So everything good between you and Lizzie?”

I gave him a questioning look. “Yeah. Who were you talking to?”

“No one important. So what are you up to the rest of the afternoon?”

“I’m going shopping, so if she needs anything, get it for her. Or call me. Whichever.”

He hugged me. “Thanks again. I owe you.”

“No shit.” I said as I walked out the door.

Who the fuck was he talking to on the phone?