Status: WORKING ON IT

This Love Will Be Our Downfall

Drei

I hate my life.
The past month or so since I returned from my little vacation have sucked. Between getting a new boss at the hospital and finding a new place to live, things were getting a little rough.

Not to mention I can stop thinking about Brent.

I sighed loudly and threw my bag down in the foyer as I walked into the house that I shared with my friend Kim. She looked around the corner and gave me an all-knowing look.

“Rough day?”

I walk into the kitchen and sat at the counter. “You have no idea. I mean, how many stupid people in Pittsburgh actually think it is okay to talk on their phone and drive at the same time?”

She laughs. “People who want to see your smiling face every day?”

I rolled my eyes and felt my phone vibrate.

Text from: Brent

You can’t ignore me forever

I gave an exasperated sigh and slammed my phone on the counter.

Kim looked up from cooking dinner and crooked an eyebrow. “I take it you got the daily Seabs text?”

I put my head down on my arms. “Why won’t he just let it go?”

“Maybe he really does care for you.”

I looked up at her and gave her a look. She threw her hands up in defeat.

“Hey, I am going on what you told me what happened in Chicago. And, well, the fact he won’t stop texting you even though it has been well over a month.”

“He has a girlfriend, why can he not go entertain her and leave me alone?”

She shrugged. “What has Lizzie been telling you? All he does when he sees either her or Patrick is ask about you. He really does care Katey. Maybe you should just text him back.”

I got up from my place in the kitchen and walked to my room. “Nah, I’m good.”

As I got to my room, I fell back onto my bed.

It has been a long month and a half.

Since I left Chicago, I have only talked to Lizzie once or twice, and that is only because Patrick threatened to fly to Pittsburgh just to kick my ass if I didn’t.

Is it bad that I wanted to cut all ties in Chicago? I didn’t think so.

Patrick still sent me a text here and there telling me not to worry and that he loved me. But other than that and my biweekly talk with Lizzie, they were my tie to that god awful city.

Except for him.

Every day since I left Chicago, Brent has either called or sent a message. According to Lizzie, he has even tried to find my address.

Thank god for good friends.

To say I haven’t wanted to answer his calls just to hear his voice would be a lie. Once in awhile he leaves voicemails, which only make me feel worse.

Katey, I don’t know why you left after what happened. Shit, I don’t even think I should be feeling the way I do. I- I miss you.

Kim has tried to set me up on a few dates, most of which have ended in too much alcohol and waking up in some guy’s bed. Needless to say I never saw those guys again.

I rather sit at home and do nothing. I mean, I am a girl who likes someone she cannot have, someone who told her everything she wanted to hear only to have her world shattered. Not every guy wants to be the one to pick up the pieces.

“So, I think I found you Mr. Right.” Kim said as she walked into my room.

I grumbled and propped myself up on my elbows. “Kim, didn’t I tell you that-“

“You were done with blind dates, yada yada yada. Yeah I know, but I think you will like this one.”

I rolled my eyes. “What’s his name and what makes him so special?”

She smiled. “His name is Josh and he is a doctor!”

I held my hand up to stop her. “Hold the fuck up. You thought because he is a doctor that I would like him? Thanks, but no thanks.”

Kim sighed. “I am just trying to help you get over Brent. That is all.”

I smiled at her and got up to hug her. “I know and I appreciate it, but I like being single.”
Kim laughed. “You cannot be single forever dearest.”

I pushed her out of my room towards the kitchen laughing. “Bet me. So what smells so good?”

A few hours after dinner, I was sitting on our back deck reading “Jane Eyre” when my phone started to ring. Without looking at it, I answered it.

“Hello?”

“Wow. You actually answered my phone call.”

Shit.

“Brent. I –“

“Don’t want to talk to me? Tough shit. Now that I have you on the phone I need to tell you something.”

“Shouldn’t you be with your girlfriend? I’m pretty sure she is gonna wonder why you are on the phone away from her.”

“Screw Hanna. This has nothing to do with her. What I need to say has to deal with us.”

I rolled my eyes. “Brent. There is no us. There never was an us, and more than likely never will be.”

“If you haven’t had left Chicago in such a hurry there probably could have been! Why are you so against the fact that I like you?” Brent argued.

“Brent. You have Hanna. I am the last thing that you need.” I said before I hung up.

I felt the tears run down my cheek. Fuck, I didn’t realize I started crying.
Damn him.

All of the sudden, I didn’t feel like reading my favorite book anymore. I needed some anger music. I went to my room and turned on the stereo. Eminem’s ‘Love the Way You Lie’ came on.

I laid down on my bed and cried myself to sleep.

The next day, I woke up and went into work, only to be greeted by my shift boss, Veronica.

“Good morning Katey. The boss would like to talk to you in his office.”

I looked at her and she just shrugged.

I knocked on my boss’s door and I heard him say come in.

“Ah. Katey McDonnell. Please come in and sit down.”

“Mr. Gratz, Veronica said you needed to speak to me?”

He straightened some papers around his desk. “Yes of course, as you are well aware of, there has been some cut backs in this hospital over the past few months.”

Yes, but I don’t see what that has to do with me.”

“Well, one of the cutbacks is the number of nurses we will have at the hospital. And unfortunately the wing you are currently working in is overstaffed.”

I took a deep breath. “So what you are getting at is that I am out of a job.”

He gave me a sad smile. “I am so sorry Katey, you are truly one of our best, but -.”

I stood up. “I understand Mr. Gratz. It was a privilege working here.”

And with that, I walked out of his office and that hospital for the last time.

I was sitting on the couch eating Ben and Jerry’s watching some random Lifetime movie when Kim came home from work. She looked at me and asked why I was home so early.

“I got fired.”

Her jaw dropped. “Say what? But you have given everything to the hospital.”

I shrugged and picked at my shorts. “I know. But its whatever. I’ll go find another job somewhere else.”

She nudged me over on the couch and sat beside me. “Ya know…”

I looked at her. “I know what?”

She smiled. “This would be a perfect time to move back to Chicago.”

I rolled my eyes. “What is it with you, that city and trying to get me to move back there? Am I that bad of a roommate?”

She rolled her eyes. “No, you are a fantabulous roommate and friend. But I want you to be happy and-“

“And you think I will be happy in Chicago cause of the fact Brent is there.”

She beamed. “Yes!”

I smacked her arm. “No! I will be even more miserable because I would probably see him and his slut all the time thanks to Lizzie.”

She stood up shaking her head. “Look, I am not going to tell you what to do. It is up to you to decide what is good or not good for ya.”

I got up and hugged her. “Thank you. Wanna go out tonight?”

“Sure. Where to?”

I smiled. “I was thinking bar hopping in Southside?”

“That works. I am gonna go take a nap before we go though.”

I hugged her again. “Yay! Me too. I’ll be ready around 9. So be looking fine girl!”

A few hours later, I was awoken by my phone ringing.

“Someone better be dead.” I mumbled into the phone.

“Katey? I-I need to tell you something.” Lizzie said. I could hear the tears in her voice.

I sat up in bed. “Lizzie what happened? Did Kane leave you? Oh my god, that bastard. I am on my -.”

She softly laughed. “No, he didn’t leave me. I’m pregnant.”

My jaw dropped. “You’re what?”

“Pregnant. With Patrick’s baby.”

“Holy fuck Lizzie. Does he know?”

“No! He just called and asked me if I was, and I hung up on him. I don’t know what to do!”

I shook my head. “Lizzie, this should be a no brainer.”

I heard her sigh. “Kind of not in the thinking mood at the moment.”

“You need to call his ass back and tell him! You cannot keep him in the dark from this.”

“I know.” Lizzie said. “But someone is at my door. Can I call you back?”

Before I could answer I heard dial tone on the other end.

At 9 pm, Kim walked out to the kitchen to see me sitting there staring at my phone.

“I thought you were going to be ready by 9?”

I looked at her. “Lizzie’s pregnant.”

She stared in shock. “Oh my. What did Patrick say when she told him?”

“He figured it out on his own. Shit, she is gonna need me there no matter what happens.”

“Then go.”

I look back at my phone. “I don’t think I can.”

She touched my arm. “Do not let a stupid guy stop you from being there for your best friend. Right now, she is the more important one.”

I sighed. “You are right. You sure you can hold down the house while I am gone?”

She smiled. “Please. I would have a party every night. Of course I can hold down the house. Now go book your flight. I’ll drive you to the airport.”

Two hours later, I was getting ready to board my flight to head back to Chicago. I sent Lizzie a message to let her know I would be in town in a couple hours and shut off my phone.

I gave the attendant my ticket and started walking down the ramp to the plane.

Well, here goes nothing.