‹ Prequel: I don't need you

Everything's Different Now

Telling The Truth

Hanging up the phone on Erica I groaned in frustration ignoring the looks people are giving me as they walk past. Why did she have to show up at the worst possible moment? And why did she have to ask me that stupid question? She knows how I feel about her.

“Ahh did you and Erica have another fight?” a voice says from behind me. Turning around Ashley’s stood there in a ridiculously skimpy outfit. It’s only now that I’m not dating her that I realise how slutty she is.

“Are you actually here right now?” I angrily ask as she takes a step towards me.

“I’m always around Joe. How else am I going to keep track of everything? It does help that you and Erica have your best moments together. It was a shame that I missed out on the touching moment of you meeting your daughter but I did have an apartment to break into to.” She smiled

“You’re sick do you know that?” I said stepping to the side but she blocks my path again.

“No I’m pissed.”

“Look I don’t have time to listen to you’re childish little plan because I actually have important things to do.”

Walking away from Ashley I head in the direction of my car ignoring her calling out after me.

“Don’t ignore me Joe!” She shouted sounding angrier. “You know she’s never going to love you like I do.”

After I walk a little bit further Ashley suddenly appears in front of me “And we both know you don’t love her as much as you love me.”

“You’re delusional! I don’t love you; I never told you I love you!” I shout

“You didn’t have to. I could tell.” She giggled placing her hands on my chest “The way you touched me said it all.” she sighed looking up at me.

“You seriously need to get away from me.” I threatened

“Why? Are you scared you might realise you want me? That you always wanted me?” As she leaned in closer I can tell she getting ready to kiss me, grabbing hold of her wrists I pushed her back a little. “I’m telling you again. Stay away from me, and stay away from Erica.”

Ripping out of my grip she glares up at me “You just made one seriously big mistake.”

****

Hearing my phone ring on the coffee table in front of me I ignore it knowing it’s going to be Ashley. Again. She’s called me seven times this morning trying to get me to listen to her stupid little threats which I don’t have time for. My focus right now is getting the courage to go talk to Erica after what happened last night.

Within seconds of the phone going silent my ringtone starts blaring out at me again.

“What?!” I shout after snatching the phone and pressing it to me ear.

“Joe? Sorry- Did I call at a bad time?”

Quickly looking at the calling id I panic seeing Erica’s name on the screen.

“Erica no- I’m sorry. I thought you were someone else.” I quickly apologize and stand up.

“Oh, is it ok that I’ve called you?”

“Yea, of course. I’ve been meaning to talk to you anyway.”

“Well I’m not calling to talk right now; I just wanted to know if it’s ok for me to stop by your place. Around two or three o’clock?”

“Yea that's fine-" i answer looking at my watch before continuing to pace up and down the room "-Erica we are ok about everything right? You’re not angry-”

“We’ll talk about later. I’ve gotta go. I’ll see you later.”

“Yea ok. I'll see you later.”

------

Waiting for Joe to open the door I nervously bite my lip. I can’t believe I’m about to do this. I’m about to admit my feelings. Out loud. To Joe. I’m about to tell him I love him and everything is going to change. As the door swings open I can’t help but smile at the sight of Joe.

“Hi.”

“Hey.” He smiled back signally me inside. I hope that wasn’t a forced smile.

“So, I came here because I wanted to talk to you.” I said turning to face him as he closes the door.

“Is this about what happened last night?” he asked looking nervous and pushing his hands into his jean pockets.

“Yea.” I nod. Getting ready to continue speaking Joe puts his hand up to stop me.

“Before you say anything I just want you to know that I really an sorry about what you saw. That girl she-”

“Joe it’s ok. I know it didn’t mean anything, well I don’t think it did.” I laugh

“It didn’t.” he insisted then looked at me in silence.I guess this is my chance.

“So yea anyway- I came here to first of you tell you it’s ok and i’m not angry about it and I also wanted you-” I’m cut off by the sound of Joe’s phone ringing on the coffee table.

“Sorry.” He winced rushing to his phone and looking at the screen “It’s my boss, do you mind it’ll only take a minute?”

“Oh no go ahead. I’ll wait.”

“Hey Owen, what’s up?” Joe answered walking down the hall and disappearing into what I guess is his bedroom.

I really hope that wasn’t a sign that I shouldn’t be doing this.

Putting my bag on the floor I take a seat on the sofa and look around the living room. Letting my eyes look down at the coffee table in front of me my attention is drawn to a crumpled bit of paper with my name on it.

What the hell?

Reaching forward I smooth out the paper and double check that it’s defiantly my name. It is.

Leaning back I check that Joe is still in his room and listen for any signs of him coming back. From what I can tell he’s still in the middle of the conversation. Completely unfolding the paper I turn it round until the words are the right way up. The more I read it the more confused I get until I reach the last line.

'Tell Joe Ashley says hi'

Ashley? As in Joe’s ex…The one Justin mentioned. So it is the same person, and I’m a complete idiot for denying it.

Reading the first part again I feel my eyebrows lower in confusion

'exposing your little secret'

What secret? I don’t understand. What does she mean other ways of punishing me? And why does Joe have this if it was clearly meant for me?

“Sorry about that, he wants me to work tomorrow.”

My head looks up at Joe as he comes back into the room still staring at his phone. It takes a moment for him to look at me and then at my hands.

“Why do you have this?” I ask forgetting to ask the most obvious question of ‘what is this?’

“That’s nothing, forget about it.” He said reaching out to take it from me but I pull my arm back and stand up.

“No Joe, tell me. Why do you have this?”

“I found it.” He said taking a step towards me

“You found it?” I repeat in disbelief “Found it where?”

“Does it matter? Why don’t you just ask me the question you really want to ask?” he said obviously still thinking I don’t know who Ashley is.

“I want to know why you have something that clearly has my name on it and is written by your ex girlfriend!”

“Wait! You know about Ashley- you know who she is?”

“Yes Joe I do. When Justin mentioned her last night I did convince myself it was just a coincidence, I mean what are the odds that your ex-girlfriend would just happen to come by the coffee shop and then later bump into me on the street? Clearly I was wrong. Again.” Throwing the now screwed up paper towards him I grab my bag from the floor so I can leave.

“Erica listen to me, she’s-”

Stopping myself from leaving I turn back to face Joe. “It wasn’t a coincidence was it?” I interrupt him but then pause to collect my thoughts “She knew who I was.” I mutter “Did you tell her who I was? Did you tell her to pretend to be some girl who was new to the city and who wanted a friend? Was it some kind of attempt to punish me for what I did to you?!” I shout my voice getting louder.

“Erica no! Of course not. I didn’t tell her to do anything.” Joe protesting

“So how did she know? Why is she writing messages to me about secrets and telling me she’s punishing me? What is she even talking about?”

“That’s what I’m trying to explain.” Joe argued sounding more frustrated.

“Then explain Joe because I have no idea what’s going on right now!” I yell trying to hold back my tears and pushing my now shaking hand through my hair.

“I broke up with her before I even saw you that day at the coffee shop and she got upset. I was wrong by thinking she got over it by now because the next thing I know she’s calling me and showing up on my doorstep telling me that she knows about you. She thinks that you’re the reason I broke up with her and she’s gone insane. She’s trying to break us up so i'll take her back. She's punishing me by hurting you.” Once Joe finished I look at him for a moment and look for any sign that he’s lying. Thankfully I can’t find one.

“So what is this secret she’s talking about? I didn’t tell her any secret.”

“You must have said something about Darcy because when she found out she did some research and got hold of the birth certificate. She was asking me all these questions about whether I was there when you had the baby and then she realised I didn’t know and showed it to me.” he explained.

“That’s how you found out?” I ask completely forgetting that I’m supposed to be mad and upset. “That doesn’t make any sense. How did she find it?”

“I don’t know. All I know is she’s psychotic and trying to make your life a living hell because she wants me back. She even threatened me last night-”

“Last night? You saw her last night?” I ask unintentionally sounding possessive and jealous.

“Don’t make it out like I went out of my way to do it. She was outside Justin’s apartment when I went after you. She’s everywhere.”

Thinking about everything Joe’s telling me and trying to absorb all the information is starting to give me a headache. I start thinking back to last night and how it started off as being a day that Joe finally got to see Darcy, to being one of the worst days of my life with my apartment and- my apartment. The photo.

“Oh my god- it makes sense now. The picture that was torn up, it didn’t make sense at the time but now it does. It was her wasn’t it? She broke into my apartment.”

Joe nodded “That’s where I found the note she left, I took it before you had time to see it. I didn’t want you to worry.”

“This can’t be happening right now.” Shaking my head I step away from Joe and towards the door but he quickly takes hold of my hand.

“Erica don’t leave. Forget about her, she’s nothing- just- just tell me what you came here to say.” he said trying to stop me from thinking about everything he just told me.

“That’s the thing. I can’t anymore. Even if I could it wouldn’t matter.”

“What do you mean? Just tell me.” He insisted lightly squeezing my hand.

“I came here to tell you how I feel and instead I find out your ex-girlfriend is out to get me.” I quickly say hoping Joe will let go of my hand so I can leave.

“How you feel? What do you mean?” he asked looking me straight in the eyes.

“Kenny helped me to realise it-”

“Realise what?” Joe interrupted.

“Joe let me finish.” I sigh. Suddenly panicking about what I’m about to say I feel a lump in my throat but ignore it.“I spoke to Kenny this morning and he helped me to realise how I really feel about you; and I came here to tell you-” pausing I hesitate and look up at Joe who’s still staring at me waiting for an answer. “I- I love you.” Joe’s eyes widen in shock but before he can react any further or say anything I pull my hand from his grip and step around him. Opening the door it suddenly slams shut and Joe quickly spins me around.

“Say it again.” He demands.

“Joe-”

“Say it again.” He says more impatiently, almost pleading.

“Joe, Ashley is-”

“Forget about Ashley!” he shouts taking hold of my face “Forget about her, forget about Kenny, forget about everything.” He pauses lightly pressing his forehead against mine. “Say it.” He whispered.

I squeeze my eyes shut and try to do what he says. Forget about everything. The silence in the room makes me fully aware of my own pulse and how quickly my heart is beating. I finally open my eyes again to find Joe still staring at me, his eyes only an inch from my own. I slowly open my mouth to speak.

“I love you.”

Joe’s lips suddenly crash down on mine and without a second thought I kiss him back instantly putting my hands on the back of his neck and pulling him closer
♠ ♠ ♠
The chapter you've been waiting for. The kiss <3