Tumors And Hearts

Day 15 – The Scan

Xx-nikki-xX

“Nicolette?” one of the nurses said coming out to the waiting room. “The doctor will see you now.”

I nodded and stood up. Ashley and I maneuvered around the chairs and other waiting patients and followed the nurse. She led us into a one of the rooms and shut the door behind us.

She had me sit down on the bed with the paper-thingy and answer the usual questions. How many headaches have you had in the past week? Are you taking anything for them? What and how many? Have you had any thoughts of suicide? [I guess I’m supposed to be feeling suicidal because of this stupid thing.] Blah, blah, blah.

When she finally left, I turned to Ashley, who had gotten up early to come with me just because I needed someone with me for these sorts of things.

“You’d think they’d stop asking you if you were suicidal after the first few visits.” she said.

I sighed. “I know it’s procedure, but it’s getting kind of annoying.”

What seemed like hours later, but was probably only a few minutes, the doctor finally came in. He looked at my files and told me they were going to do a brain scan to see how the tumor looked since the last time I was there.

Ashley waited in the room while I followed the doctor to another room. This one was filled with computer equipment and stuff.

The scan was quick and painless – it seemed to be one of the few things that were now a days. The doctor told me I could go back to the room and he would be in shortly to tell me what was going on.

I hopped up on the bed and watched Ashley spin around in the doctor’s seat-thingy.

“So when are you going to tell him?” she asked.

“Tell who what?” I asked.

She stopped spinning around on the seat. She lay down with her stomach on the seat and started rolling from one end of the room to the other. “Tell your boyfriend about the tumor.” she said making movements with her arms as if she was swimming.

I felt my cheeks heat up and knew I was blushing. “Shannon’s not my boyfriend.” I mumbled.

“But you’d like him to be.” she said as she continued to play with the doctor’s seat. “And it’s obvious he would too.”

“Of course I’d like for him to be my boyfriend.” I said absentmindedly ripping up the paper on the bed. “But he can’t be. I can’t do that to him.”

Ashley opened her mouth to say something and closed it again as the doctor came in.

“I see you’re enjoying my seat.” he said smiling at Ashley.

I laughed as her face turned beat red and she hurriedly stood up.

“Sorry.” she said. “You can have it back.”

“Oh, that’s okay.” he said smiling. “I’m sure after I tell you this you won’t want to stay here much longer.”

Great… I wonder what’s wrong with it now…

“Your tumor shrunk.”

Ashley and I looked at the doctor in shock.

“Um, what?”

“Your tumor shrunk.” he repeated. “Not a lot, but you can see a difference in its size.”

The doctor left, shutting the door behind him. As soon as it clicked Ashley and I were screaming in delight.

On the way out of the hospital I was thinking about Shannon. If my tumor was shrinking then maybe I wouldn’t die after all. Maybe he really could be my boyfriend…

Ashley and I decided to go out and celebrate. We went to one of our favorite restaurants in Chicago and then to the mall for some shopping.

We had just left Hot Topic, both of our wallets considerably lighter than when we went in. I bought a black Blessthefall hoodie and the black and green tripp pants I had fallen in love with the first time I saw them a few weeks ago.

We were done shopping and on our way out to the car when it happened. I sank to the ground in the middle of the parking lot as my head exploded in an unbearable pain.

Someone was screaming off in the distance. It took me a while to realize that it was me.

“SOMEONE GET SOME HELP!” I heard Ashley yell before I blacked out.

x-later-x

“Is she going to be okay?” I heard Ashley ask.

“We don’t know yet.” I heard my doctor say. “We scanned her head and now we’re just waiting for the results.”

I opened my eyes and saw the doctor walk out of the room.

What am I doing in a hospital room?

I looked to my right and saw Ashley staring at me with a very worried look on her face.

“What happened?” I asked.

“I don’t know.” she said. “You fell to the ground screaming in the mall parking lot. Then you just kinda passed out.”

“Oh.” I said.

I tried to sit up and my head started hurting really bad. I let myself fall back and hit the pillows.

“I guess sitting up isn’t a good idea right now.” I said grimacing.

The doctor came back in a few minutes later with a clipboard.

“Oh good.” he said. “You’re awake.”

“Unfortunately.” I mumbled.

“How do you feel?”

“Like shit.”

“Oh.”

“So what’s going on?” I asked.

“Well,” he said looking down at his clipboard. “We’re not really sure. It looks like your tumor grew again… it’s almost as if it doubled in size.”

You have got to be fucking kidding me. “I thought you said it shrunk.” I said.

“It did…” he said still looking at the clipboard.

I wanted to rip that thing out of his hands and bash him in the head with it.

“Okay… what now?” I asked.

“We need to keep you overnight for observation. We need to make sure it doesn’t grow that much again.”

“Why?” Ashley asked.

“It could kill her.”

“You mean sooner than it’s already supposed to?” I asked in a sour tone.

“...Yeah...” he said before leaving, clearly unable to think of anything else to say.