Tumors And Hearts

Day 84 – Defending the Titles

Xx-nikki-xX

“Make sure you’re carefull.”

“I know Manda.”

“You really can’t afford for your tumor to act up again.”

“I know Manda.”

“You should-”

“Amanda!” I said cutting her off. “Relax, would ya?”

She sighed. “I can’t help it.” she said. “That tumor’s got me really worried…”

“I know.” It was my turn to sigh. “But let’s stop talking about it for now.”

She nodded and went back to doing her makeup.

On this Monday night taping for Impact Fallon Chase and Nicolette were set to defend the tag team titles against Tara and Ms. Tessmacher.

When I was sure Manda wasn’t looking, I grabbed my bag out of my locker and dug out my bottle of extra strength pain killers. I opened the bottle and took the last two pills as a precaution for the match. I made a mental note to get it refilled when I got back to Chicago.

“Ready to go chickies?” Tara asked coming into the locker room with Ms. Tessmacher.

“Almost.” I tossed the bottle back in my bag and the bag back in my locker. “We’re just waiting on Manda.”

“Might wanna hurry.” Brooke said. “The commercial break already started.”

“I’m almost done!” Manda said.

She hurriedly put the finishing touches on her makeup and the four of us headed out to the Go Position for our match. We made it there just in time. The camera guy motioned to Lisa and Brooke as Broken started playing in the Impact Zone.

“This match is set for one-fall and it is for the Knockout Tag Team Championships!” Christie said as they made their way out to the ring. “Introducing first the team of Tara and Ms. Tessmacher!”

There were cheers from the crowd as they climbed into the ring. Tara’s music died down and was replaced with ours.

“And their opponents, the TNA Knockout Tag Team Champions – Fallon Chase and Nicolette!”

There were more cheers as we did our tag team entrance. We slid into the ring and climbed up on the turnbuckles to absorb the energy of the crowd. Our music died down and the bell sounded. I was starting out the match against Ms. Tessmacher.

Eight minutes into the match we gave the signal by setting up for our tag team finisher. Fallon had just drop kicked Tara into the corner of the ring. She fell to the floor and I was about to pull my moonsault when I was sent flying off the turnbuckle by Rosita.

The bell rang; signaling the disqualification, as I landed spread-eagled on the floor of the ring. I rolled over to see Ms. Tessmacher fighting with Sarita in the ring. I was a few feet away from a supposedly unconscious Tara. Fallon and Rosita were fighting outside the ring.

Xx-dixie-xX

I was watching the taping from the TV in my office.

It took five refs to break up the fight out in the ring between the three tag teams. I was a little nervous about the attack when I saw Rosita push Nikki off the turnbuckles, but I think she was okay.

The commercial break that followed the match ended and the TV showed the backstage area of the Impact Zone. Sarita and Rosita came into view of the camera. They were gloating about their interference during the match. They were just talking about getting a shot at the titles when Nicolette, Fallon, Tara, and Ms. Tessmacher attacked them.

A few minutes into the fight Hernandez and Anarquia showed up and tried to help out Sarita and Rosita. I tried not to worry as Hernandez pulled Nicolette off of Rosita and started beating her up.

There was a shout from out of the view of the camera and then Shannon and Jesse were getting involved too. Jesse went and pulled Anarquia off Tara while Shannon attacked Hernandez.

“Get off her!” Shannon yelled.

I watched as Shannon yanked Nicolette out of Hernandez’s grip. He positioned himself between the two of them. Nicolette took a step back and accidentally put herself in Tara’s path as she stumbled back at the same time. They both fell to the floor and I knew immediately by the way she grabbed her head that it had triggered Nicolette’s tumor.

Praying Nikki would be okay; I hurriedly picked up my phone and sent security to break up the fight early.

Xx-shannon-xX

Security came to break up our fight earlier than they were supposed to. After a few minutes I understood why.

“Are you okay Nikki?” I asked kneeling down next to her.

“My head.” she groaned curling up in a ball.

“Come on,” I picked her up bridal style. “I’m taking you to see the medics.”

She groaned again and I took that as an “Okay.”

“I’m coming with you.” Manda said.

I nodded and the three of us hurried off.

Dixie was already waiting when we got there.

“Is she okay?” she asked rushing over to us.

“Her tumor’s acting up again.” I said.

I set her down on the bed they had set up. She curled up in a ball again, clutching her head. I had to try really hard not to freak out.

The three of us impatiently waited as one of the medics checked over Nikki. When he finally turned around to face us we were beside ourselves with worry.

“Well?” Dixie asked.

“There’s not really anything I can do.” he sighed. “She needs rest. Take her back to the hotel. Put a cold wash cloth over her forehead and turn the lights down low.”

“I’ll take her.” I said. “My match is already over.”

Dixie opened her mouth like she was going to say something but closed it again. She looked down at her feet and nodded. I could tell she was really worried about her niece.

“Text me when you get there.” Manda said. “Keep me posted on how she’s doing.”

I nodded and scooped Nikki back up into my arms. I left, leaving Dixie and Manda watching after us with looks of concern.

“Shannon?” Nikki groaned.

“Hmm?”

“Where are we going?” her eyes were still closed.

“Back to the hotel.” I said. “You need to rest.”

“Okay.” she said before burying her face in my chest.

We stopped by the locker rooms and grabbed our bags. AJ helped me carry everything out to our rental car.

“Is she okay?” he asked.

I gently placed Nikki in the passenger seat of the car. I wasn’t even sure if she was awake at this point.

“She hurt her head during our backstage scene.” I sighed. Nikki must not have told him yet...

“She seems to be doing that a lot.” he said.

I nodded and watched him shut the trunk of the car. “Thanks AJ.”

“No problem.” he said. “Tell Nikki I hope she feels better soon.”

“I will.” I said before getting in the car.

Falling In Reverse, a band Nikki was trying to get me into, started blasting through the speakers of the car when I turned it on. I quickly switched it off in case Nikki really had fallen asleep. I waved to AJ as I pulled out of the parking spot.

The drive back to the hotel was fairly quick. I wanted to get Nikki up to our room and take care of her like the medic said.

I tried and failed to get Nikki out of the car without waking her.

“Shannon?” she said groggily.

“Hmm?”

“Are we at the hotel already?”

“Yeah. Do you want me to carry you?”

She shook her head and then made a face. It probably hurt to do that.

“I can walk.”

“Are you sure?”

I kept a close eye on her as she slowly got out of the car. She closed the door and leaned against the side while I went and got our bags out of the trunk. I came back around and slipped an arm around her tiny waist. I helped support her as we headed into the hotel.

Our room was on the first floor. I was happy because it meant less walking for Nikki.

She collapsed on her bed and I sat down next to her.

“How’s your head?”

“Throbbing.”

I helped her get ready for bed and tucked her in. I did as the medic said and placed a cold wash cloth over her forehead. I turned off all the lights except the one in the bathroom so I could see what I was doing.

In the dark I changed out of my clothes. I headed into the bathroom to brush my teeth and pee. When I came out I heard sniffling and new right away that Nikki was crying.

I sat down next to her and rubbed her arm gently. “Baby, what’s wrong?”

“My head.” she groaned for the second time that night. “It hurts so bad!”

“Is there anything I can do?” I asked.

“Painkillers.” she said pointing to her bag with her wrestling gear in it. “Front pouch.”

I hurriedly grabbed her bad and ripped it open. I found the bottle and popped it open. “It’s empty.”

Nikki groaned again and clutched her head. I put the bottle back in her bag and tossed it on the floor. I gently situated myself so that Nikki was leaning on me. I wrapped my arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

That was the first time I ever heard Nikki cry herself to sleep.