This Is a Reason for Broken Wings

You don't have to test the waters, just take my wo

"Who the hell is this bozo?" Lauren snorted, eyeing Matt lightly.

I knew this wasn't going to turn out too good...

"And just who the hell are you?" He asked with a surprise in his tone.

I turned to face him and stated to explain.

"Matt, this is my sister. I'm sorry I had to bring her here but we didn't have enough time to stop by the house and "

"Um, Zacky. She looks old enough to explain who she is." Matt said softly.

I was slightly taken aback, but stepped aside all the same. Matt went and stopped in front of Lauren.

"I asked you who the hell you were." Matt said again, staring down at her. "And please get your feet off of my table."

"Are you stupid or something? My faggot brother just fucking told you who I was." She said, staring back at him.

I noticed there was something different about the tone in her voice...then it struck me that the anger wasn't in it anymore.

"Well, I was just asking to see if there was anything in that fat head of yours or if it really was as empty as it looked." Matt said coldly, shoving her feet off the table.

She just started up at him with some sort of evil shining in her eyes and Matt just responded by raising an eyebrow.

"Whatever." She huffed, looking away.

Whoa, this seemed all so surreal. Was it that she was actually scared of Matt and didn't dare say anything to rub him the wrong way? Lauren wasn't spitting around empty threats and I thought maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

Soon, we got into our business and it seemed as if Lauren wasn't even there. Our recital went exceptionally well I was actually in a good mood. After a couple of hours we took a little break and Matt pulled me aside to talk to me.

"Dude, what the fuck is up with that bitch? Tell me she's not seriously staying with you." He said, motioning to Lauren, who was eyeing Jimmy as he told Johnny some sort of story.

"Well, yeah, she is gonna be staying with me." I said slowly.

"If you're gonna bring her back around here you'd better make for damn sure that she stays the fuck out of the way and keeps her damn mouth shut."

"Matt, she hasn't really been in the way so far and as for her smart mouth...that's just the way she is..." I trailed off, glancing back at her.

"Sounds to me you're scared of her."

"I'll put her in her place if I have to but you need to know not to fuck with her Matt. She may not look like it but she could really fuck you up."

"Yeah right, you're saying that she could actually take me?" Matt laughed slightly.

"Come on Matt, you're like twice her weight, of course you'd win if you guys got into a fist fight." I smirked. "But she can do a lot of damage." I added.

"Sure." He mumbled, looking back over at her.

Lauren finally took her eyes off of Jimmy and they started to wander around the room. I saw her glance at something and she stopped twice to look at it. I tilted my head to the side, wondering what she was looking at and realized that it was Matt, who had left my side, and was across the room, putting his earphones back on to prep himself for some more vocal practice. Suddenly Lauren stood up and made her way towards me.

"Can I get the keys?" She mumbled, not bothering to look at me.

"What the hell makes you think I'm gonna give you my keys?" I asked with a hint of laughter in my voice.

"I'm not gonna go anywhere...I'm just gonna go smoke a cigarette." She said angrily.

"Alright, I guess so. But if you so even think about driving off remember I have On Star bitch."

She narrowed her eyes at me as I dropped the keys into her hand and a few seconds after she disappeared into the hallway we got back into our practice and about five minutes later Lauren came back in. I was able to breathe normal once again; honestly I thought that she was going to make a run for it but perhaps my BS story about having On Star actually made her think twice.

The rest of the day went 'splendidly' and Matt asked for a ride home so I said yeah, whatever. I was so hungry and I didn't really feel like cooking when we got home.

"Are you hungry?" I asked Lauren when we got settled in the car.

"No." She said but at the same time her stomach emitted a very loud growl.

"Are you starving yourself or something?" Matt asked, glancing out the window.

"Fuck you whore." She spat back.

"Excuse me?" Matt said, turning around in his seat to look at her.

"You heard me." She mumbled.

"Obviously I didn't if I said 'excuse me.'" Matt said coldly. "Look, I'm gonna put it straight forward. I don't know your story and honestly I could fucking care less. I don't care if you're Zacky's baby sister and Im not gonna put up with your shit. So don't shoot your fucking mouth off or try to work your shit with me."

I glanced back at Lauren in my rearview mirror. She just caught my eyes in it and was practically begging me with her eyes to back her up. I just narrowed them and turned my eyes back to the road.

"Whatever." She mumbled and turned to look back out the window.

We went through the drive through at Jack in the Box and ordered up some food.

"What do you want?" I asked, glancing back at Lauren.

"I don't know. Just get me some fucking fries." She mumbled, looking up at me.

I raised an eyebrow.

"Please." She muttered, looking as if it killed her to just add that one word.

"Yeah, I'll make it a cheeseburger." I said and turned back to the speaker dealio to give them our order.

Matt and I sat around talking some small talk you know, completely ignoring Lauren in the back. Finally, they handed our order to us and I tossed Lauren's cheeseburger back to her.

"Thanks." She mumbled as it fell in her lap.

I watched her reflection in my rear view mirror as she picked at her burger, nibbling at it every so often.

"Dude, are you like a fucking anorexic or something?" Matt asked suddenly.

I looked over and saw that he had turned around in his seat and was also watching her. Lauren opened her mouth to respond but stopped short when she saw me narrow my eyes at her. Instead, she closed her mouth and I saw her jaw tighten, as if she were straining real hard to keep in the hateful words she was planning on throwing at him.

"Hmpf...anorexic." Matt said, turning around to start on his burger. "I knew a girl once who was. She-"

"Matt." I said, cutting him off. "Stop."

"Hey, I was just trying to make conversation." He smirked.

"Well, don't." I said annoyed.

We drove on in silence and about ten minutes later I pulled to a stop in front of Matt's house.

"Alright, see you tomorrow man." He said getting out.

He made a motion to shut the door but peaked back inside at Lauren.

"Are you going to sit up front?" He asked.

She hesitated for a second, then pushed the front seat forward, and made a move to get out when Matt slammed the door shut. I saw the anger flood across her face and she grabbed a hold of the handle, pushing it open.

"Oh, I thought that you were going to stay back there." Matt sneered, looking somewhat amused by the hate pouring out of Lauren's eyes.

"You fucking bitch." She spat, adjusting the seat so she could sit down.

"Wow, the monkey speaks." He mumbled as he started to walk away.

I tried to grab a hold of Lauren's arm but she was too fast and before I realized what happened, I was staring at Matt's back as he was on the ground, doubled over in pain as Lauren had just kicked the shit out of where the sun didn't shine.

"Fuck Lauren!" I yelled, as she settled herself in the seat and stared at Matt's figure that was still on the ground, rolling around in pain.

I jumped out and made sure that the poor man was alright.

"Damn it Matt, I told you not to be fucking around with her." I said once I saw that he was okay.

"That was a cheap shot." He managed to get out. "Fuck that hurt." He added under his breath, holding onto himself.

"Hopefully now you'll believe me when I say to stay away from her." I mumbled and walked back to the car.

"Is he still alive?" Lauren asked, still glaring through the window at Matt.

"Well, I think he'll still be able to have kids."

"Damn...I was hoping I'd do enough damage as to stop him from reproducing; any more morons like him running around and the world is going to be a pretty pathetic place indeed." She said in monotone.

I couldn't help but smile slightly; one thing that I missed about Lauren was her sarcasm. When we got back to my house I popped the trunk and went around to help Lauren with her luggage.

"I can get it myself." She snapped.

"Fuck you too." I snapped back.

I left her struggling to pull her stuff out and went inside to grab a beer. I heard the front door open and the sound of some bags being dragged across my hardwood floor. Soon, Lauren appeared at the end of the hallway leading into the kitchen.

"Where do I put my stuff?" She asked quietly, staring down at the floor.

I took another drink of my beer and sat it down on the counter, motioning for her to follow me back down the hallway. I saw her stuff piled by the staircase and paused to look back at her as she gathered them up in her arms. I sighed and grabbed a couple of bags.

"Just fucking let me help you." I said gently when I saw her open her mouth to protest.

We made our way up the stairs and I showed her into her room.

"Alright, this one is yours. Don't try anything because my bedrooms right across the hall." I said and left her to unpack her stuff, shutting the door rather hard behind me.