Status: Active.

You're Living a Lie, You Just Can't Hide From Me

Girls Do What They Want

“Nat, what are we doing?!” Garrett chuckled softly as she dragged him along.

“Well, I thought that if you were having such trouble, maybe getting out of the studio would help.”

“And where are we going?”

She smiled, taking his hand in hers. "You'll see..."

“Okay.”

“But, it’s a little fancier… and I need to change.”

“Should I-?” He began.

Natalie smiled softly, surveying his choice of outfit today. He wore black jeans with white sneakers, and a plain white t-shirt with a vest over it. He looked really nice; she thought… just maybe he needed to do something with his messy hair.

“You’re okay, but I need to… D-do you wanna come over and wait or do you-?”

“I’ll come.” He nodded.

The redhead smiled, nodding her head.

She was certain that this was an experience that no one else would show Garrett and she was anxious to go there. But there was a dress code and she needed to meet it. Her jean shorts and tanktop would not fit the venue.

He followed, unsure of her plans, but putting ultimate trust in her. Natalie would never do him wrong. She wasn’t that type of girl.

He kept pressing her for information, but she said it was a surprise and she didn’t want to spoil it. She had thought of the idea during the week, after hearing that he’d been lacking inspiration, but she was ready to put it in full effect. She hadn’t even told Alyssa, who was a total blabbermouth.

The truth was that at first, Natalie had wondered about taking John, but it didn’t seem right. She couldn’t figure him out or sort out her feelings for him. She realized that a lot of it was the attraction and the way she felt in his presence, but she couldn’t tell if there was more.

And with Garrett… Well, she was oddly comfortable. He didn’t make her flustered or nervous like John did, but maybe it was just a friendship with a boy that she was attracted to. But she didn’t see any of the other boys that way, so maybe it wasn’t.

Natalie really was a bit perplexed about being so unsure, but she was trying to convince herself that having a crush on either or both boys was a waste of time and effort. They were much too focused on this new CD than to fight for her. Besides, Garrett was probably still absolutely heartbroken over Rachael.

“Nat?” The boy in question broke her away from her thoughts.

“What? Oh, sorry, Gar… I just…”

“That’s how I get when John starts talking.” He grinned, chuckling lightly.

Natalie smiled.

“What’s going on in that head of yours?”

“Its just a mess inside there.”

Garrett chuckled, shaking his head.

“I won’t be long…” Natalie promised, leaving Garrett in the living room to peruse her bookshelf, which housed the communal DVDs, magazines, and books.

He smiled, finding some of his own favorite titles, among the classics he figured she’d had.

Garrett had always known that Natalie loved Jane Austen, but she was open to everything. There were so many books and DVDs, amidst the Vogues, Rolling Stones, and Peoples. He chuckled, wondering if Alyssa and Natalie even believed the tabloids. He almost expected those trashy gossip rags to be around their apartment, but he was happy to see the assortment. And then he found the comic books.

He hadn’t remembered Natalie being such a nerd like he was, but he wasn’t complaining. She just seemed to be getting more and more perfect. It was like the more he found out about her, the more attracted he was to her. It was just amazing to think that he’d never realized it in high school… even mere months before.

He’d been so loyal and so devoted to Rachael, and she hadn’t deserved it. Why hadn’t he figured that out earlier? Why hadn’t he asked Natalie out before all of this?

Garrett shook his head, turning away from the bookshelf to sit on the couch across the room.

He wondered how the two girls had managed to pay rent for this apartment. It was a lot more spacious than he imagined. There were only two bedrooms, a bathroom and a living room/kitchen, but it looked big. Perhaps it was the decorations that helped. Of course, he still lived at home, so he didn’t know anything about that.

He couldn’t tell how long he waited, but he didn’t mind. When he finally caught sight of Natalie, it was definitely worth the wait. So much that he couldn’t even make out the words to tell her so.

She emerged from the bathroom totally made up, with her hair in fingerwave curls and her lips scarlet as if she’d walked out of the roaring ‘20’s. She wore a headband, and a black dress that hugged her figure tightly. It cinched at her waist and flowed out over her hips, ending just above her knees. He’d always thought she looked beautiful, but seeing her now, she looked even more so than usual.

“Wow.” He breathed, standing up and openly gawking at her.

Natalie pulled at her dress, looking down shyly.

“You look amazing.” Garrett told her softly, smiling.

“Thanks, Gary.” She looked up at him, her heart quickening at the blueness of his eyes.

“Now will you tell me?”

She smiled, raising an eyebrow. “You’re not very patient, are you?”

He shook his head.

“Alright. I’ll give you a hint.”

Garrett sighed, shaking his head. “Better than nothing.”

“We’re going to see some live music, and its not what you’re used to.” The redhead spoke, grabbing her clutch and placing it under her arm. “Let’s go.”

“Lead the way.”

“A jazz club?” Garrett asked quietly, as Natalie led him inside the club.

It was no surprise that they were the two youngest people in the venue. The décor was gorgeous, reminding him of an old speakeasy during Prohibition. Everything about the place seemed totally vintage and from another time period.

This was definitely not the type of place Garrett would venture to himself. It was amazing though, and the way that Natalie moved made it seem as if she was a regular although she’d never been to the club. However, she had read about it a lot.

“What do you think?” She asked, leading him to a table.

There was a live band and a dance floor. Waiters were scurrying around and drinks of all shapes and colors were being served. This was probably not the type of place for two eighteen year olds to be, but no one seemed to care. Besides, with the way she looked, no one would dare assume Natalie was under twenty one.

The live band was fantastic. Garrett watched them carefully, especially the bass player, naturally. It was so easy for them. The music came so naturally, like they were able to read each other’s minds. He couldn’t even believe it himself. It was something he found so admirable.

“This is incredible.” Garrett spoke, grinning at Natalie.

“I hoped you’d like it.” She answered.

She was really happy that Garrett was amused by her gesture. This was a real attempt to inspire him, not only to take him somewhere. They could have gone anywhere, but she figured this was the best option. Perhaps jazz wasn’t his cup of tea, and truthfully, it wasn’t hers either, but seeing anything live was different. These musicians played with such skill and heart.

The redhead smiled, watching as Garrett drummed his fingers along. He had this concentrated look as if he was finally seeing things. That he finally had an idea on what his own bass lines should sound like.

Natalie grinned, pulling out a pen and paper from her bag.

He looked over at her with a grin, quickly writing something down before shoving it in his jean pocket and handing her back the paper and pen.

“I think I have what I need… or, at least, a start.”

“I’m glad to have been helpful.”

“This place is awesome, Nat.”

She smiled.

“Thank you.”

“Of course.”

Garrett smiled, moving his seat closer to hers so that they could talk over the music. Their bodies were practically touching, and Natalie thanked the mood lighting because he couldn’t see the blush on her cheeks that matched her lipstick. This boy may not have made her nervous, but he confused the hell out of her.

But just as he was about to open his mouth, a waiter came by with a fancy cocktail, placing it before Natalie.

“I-I didn’t order this.” She spoke.

“I’m aware, miss. Its complements of the gentleman at the bar.”

The redhead furrowed her eyebrows, glancing at Garrett, who only shrugged. She turned towards the bar to see an older man, probably in his early thirties, tilting an imaginary hat to her. She smiled politely before turning to the waiter.

“Thank you, but I’m afraid I can’t accept this.”

“It’s already paid for.”

She shrugged.

The waiter had already left before she could protest the drink any further. Garrett chuckled, taking the umbrella out of the cocktail and placing it in Natalie’s hair. She smiled as well, leaning closer into him.

This was quite romantic, she decided. The mood lighting, the candle on the table, the fact that she was with a boy she really liked. He was really happy to have Natalie because she opened his eyes to so much. She was so incredible.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Please and thank you.