Status: This is a story I posted on Quizilla so I hope you guys enjoy it!

Melting On Ice

Chapter Twenty Three

“I thought that this was a casual event.” Miranda looked me up and down before examining her Toews jersey and jeans.

“It is.” I smoothed out my black dress. It had a red ribbon around my high waist, showing off my Blackhawks spirit.

“Yeah, you totally look casual,” She said sarcastically as glanced over my make up.

“There's nothing wrong with making Patrick see what he's missing.” I smirked at my reflection as I examined myself in the mirror.

“That's my girl.” She fixed my hair as she walked over to me. “I am pretty sure that this will definitely work.” We both turned to the door when there was a knock. Miranda leaned over to give Tazer a kiss when she opened the door for him.

“Don't you look beautiful.” He smiled down at her as she led him into our apartment. “Wow, Em.” He looked me up and down quickly. “Were you invited to some other party that I didn't know about?”

“God,” I sighed as I started to walk back to my room. “If I'm gonna have to hear about this all freaking night, I'm just gonna go change!” I huffed as I went to close the door.

“Nice going,” I heard Miranda hiss at Jonathan but then I heard them both laugh quietly.

“Sorry,” he mumbled. “Em, come on. You look fine, let's just go.”

“Fine,” I sighed as I grabbed my purse. He linked arms with Miranda as we walked out of the apartment. We were going to the Blackhawks convention and I was extremely nervous about seeing Patrick. It had been two weeks since I left Buffalo and I guess I should have been over him. I just couldn't. I couldn't make myself forget everything that we had. “You'd better hide me from him.” I whispered to Miranda as we made our way inside of the hotel that was hosting it.

“What happened to showing him what he's missing?” She teased me as Jonathan led us over to our seats. I rolled my eyes at her before scanning the ball room for Patrick. It was hard to miss him, standing up on the balcony, casually chatting with Eddie Olczyk. I swallowed hard as he ran his fingers threw his recently cut hair and adjusted the collar of his suit that was sticking out from under his game – winning jersey. Miranda caught me staring at him. “Relax okay?” I sighed as I pried my eyes away from him. “You don't have to talk to him. This is a big party. The likelihood of him finding you is very slim.”

“You're right,” I smiled as the lights went dim and the ceremony started. “He probably won't even be able to find me.” I felt myself physically relax and enjoyed the rest of the ceremony. Even the part where Patrick went up on the stage and turned on the long delayed goal light. I watched as Miranda's face lit up when we all stood to give Tazer a standing ovation. They all said a few words and before I knew it, we were already on our way back out.

“Hey!” I turned to see Troy Brower forcing his way through the crowd in my direction. I separated from Miranda and went to greet him. “Em! How have you been?” He asked as he crushed me in a rib cracking hug.

“Good,” I said hugging him back. I smiled when he released me. “This is the best Blackhawks convention ever.”

“Well definitely better then last year,” he laughed as he avoided some people as they tried to get past. “The Stanley Cup definitely adds a little excitement to the party.” He squeezed my arm lightly when someone else called his attention. “Listen, it was really great seeing you again. I feel like we haven't talked in ages.” I smiled at him as he started to walk away. “Find me later okay?” I nodded as he started to walk away.

“Emma!” I felt myself tense as Derek waved at me from across the crowd. I gave him a quick glance before ducking out and trying to maneuver through the crowd. I was almost to the door when he stepped in front of me. “Hey, Emma.” He smiled sweetly as I examined the blonde he had his arms draped around.

“Oh Derek,” I let fake surprise seep through my voice. “What a weird coincidence, seeing you here.” I kept my eyes focused on the blonde as she securely wrapped her arm around Derek's waist, her green eyes smiling up at me sweetly.

“This is my girlfriend, Erin.” He introduced her and she waved quickly at me.

“Nice to meet you.” I stuck my hand out to shake her's as I racked my mind for something to say. “I would introduce you to my boyfriend.” What am I doing​?, I thought to myself. “But he's a little occupied right now.” I used my eyes to gesture over to where Patrick was involved in an animated conversation with Seabrook, keeping a smile plastered on my face.

“Oh.” I noticed that his enthusiasm dropped from his voice as he said this single syllable. “You and Patrick?” I smiled plasticly but didn't answer him directly. Erin forced a cough to break the awkward silence that had formed. “Well, I'm glad things worked out for you,” he said, lying through his teeth. I clenched my fist lightly at my sides as I wished that things had actually worked out for me.

“Der Bear.” I made a face at the ridiculous nickname that Erin used as she turned to Derek. “We really should get going. We have the bridal shower tomorrow.”

“I'll meet you in the car.” He leaned over and kissed her lightly on the cheek before she left us alone.

“Bridal shower?” He blushed slightly as I turned to him, astounded. “For who?” He smiled at me sheepishly as he quickly ruffled his hair. “Her?”

“I know, I know.” He sighed as he attempted to explain himself to me. “You probably think it's stupid.” I didn't object like I most likely should have. “It's just that me and Erin,” He rubbed the back of his neck as he struggled for the words. “We were really serious in high school and when I moved out of state for college, I thought I was never going to see her again.” He smiled as he shook his head. “It's a crazy thing, I know. But let me assure you,” I looked down at his hand as he lightly placed it on my arm. “I do love her. I won't hurt her.” I stood there, speechless.

“Derek, you're only twenty one.” I pulled back slightly from him and watched as his face fell. “I mean, do you really think this is a good idea? You have your entire life ahead of you.”

He sighed as he stepped back. “Listen Em, I know things didn't work out between us, but there is no need to be jealous.” He gave me a strange look when I laughed under my breath.

Jealous?” I asked him skeptically. He nodded at me, his face full of pity. You have got to be kidding me, I thought to myself. “You know what?” I asked, lightly covering my mouth up with my hand. “You 're right.” I stepped back away from him and forced myself to look embarrassed. “I am a jealous wreck.” I closed my eyes and shook my head in disapproval at myself. “I should just go now, you shouldn't remember me like this.” I heard him call after me but I kept forcing my way through the crowd. I sighed in relief when I was just about to reach the exit. I turned to go find Miranda and Jonathan again when I felt a familiar hand wrap around my wrist.

“Emma.” I froze as my name was whispered in my ear.

“What Patrick?” I asked without turning around to look at him. I hated how much I loved the way his name tasted in my mouth.

He used his giant hand to turn my face in his direction. I was determined to not let him see me cry. I had already wasted too many tears on him. “Will you please listen to me?” I swallowed audibly as I waited for him to continue. “Listen,” he sighed. “I've done a lot of things that I regret in my life.”

“Trust me,” I interrupted him as I struggled to pull my wrist free from his grasp. It seemed as if he was always able to trap me this way. “I know.”

“Right.” A small smile cracked on his lips as his eyes flitted across my face. “But the one thing that I will never regret,” I felt my heart rate increase as I anticipated what he was going to say. “Was coming over and sitting down on the swing with you on that first day of first grade.” I felt my features soften at his words. “I will never regret any moment that I ever spent with you, except for the ones that I hurt you.” He rubbed his hand on the back of his neck. “And unfortunately that has been a lot lately.” I swallowed hard as he loosened his grip around my wrist, but I didn't step back from him. “I was a jerk, Em.” His eyes scanned my features as he tried to decode what I was thinking. “I know that you probably won't believe me,” his eyes squinted slightly before he continued. “But even the six year old Pat knew that you were the one for me.” He pulled me closer and I felt several stares as people watched us. “You were then, you are now, and you always will be, the only one for me.” I placed my hand lightly on his cheek as he spoke. I felt as if the world was melting away. As if nothing else was happening or mattered besides me standing here, with him.“I'm so sorry for everything that has happened.” He bit his lip as he shook his head. “I don't expect you to forgive me, but I really, really wish you would. I love you Emma.” He whispered.

I watched my hand as I lightly rested it on his chest, it rising with his breath. I matched my breathing to his, making us in sync. I bit my lower lip as I nodded. “I love you too, Patrick.”

He smiled down at me before slowly leaning down and kissing me. I felt the familiar electric shock run through my body that I had been missing ever since I left. Ever since everything started to go wrong. But none of it mattered now, because now it was all going right. I wrapped my arms around his neck and his arms moved down to my waist to deepen the kiss. I didn't want to pull away from him. I could've stayed in his arms forever. But I reluctantly pulled back when we heard a couple of whoops erupted from around us. He smiled as he kept his arms wrapped around my waist. “This is definitely the best convention ever.”

* * *

“Patrick Kane!” He looked up and smiled at me when I leaned against the boards at the United Center. “Don't you ever step off the ice?”

I smirked at him as he stopped in front of me. “Just getting in a little practice time. The season's coming sooner that you think.” He grabbed my hand and pulled me out onto the ice.

“Don't let me fall.” I told him as I shakily followed him out to the center of the ice.

“Don't worry,” he laughed as he wrapped his arm around my waist. “I've gotcha.” I smiled as he leaned down and kissed me lightly. “I was thinking....” He started as he pulled back from me.

“Yes,” I encouraged him when he didn't continue.

“Well you know how Miranda is moving in with Tazer?” I nodded even though this was news to me. “And so you'll have that entire apartment all to yourself.” I blushed when I realized where this was going. He quickly scratched the side of his head when I took off his helmet so it would be easier for me to look into his eyes. “So I was thinking that maybe, you might want to, could possible consider-”

I leaned up and kissed him to shut up his babbling. “I'm already packed.” He smirked down at me when he wrapped his arms around my waist, kissing me again. I felt myself melting from his touch. I felt myself melting on ice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is the last chapter of this story! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has kept coming back and continually supported me through this story :) I am really see to see this end, but it's time. I am considering doing an epilogue but I don't think that a sequel is in the near future. I really hoped that you guys enjoyed this story and are satisfied with the ending! Tell me what you think. Thanks for reading! GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!