Your Voice Was The Soundtrack Of My Summer

Chapter Eleven

Patrick’s POV.

“Mom I’m home!”

“In the living room dear.”

I walked into the living room. My mom was sitting on the couch flipping through a magazine. I kissed her on the cheek and sat down.

“How are you?”

“Ok, Piper’s sister is awake and she should be able to go home tomorrow.”

“That’s good.”

“Yeah.”

“How was Miami?”

“Amazing.”

“I bet a lot had to do with Piper being there.”

I smiled and looked down at my feet.

“Where’s Kevin at? I want to talk you guys about something.”

“He’s upstairs I’ll go get him.”

My mom went to the bottom of the stairs and hollered for my brother. I could talk to my mom without him but, I don’t know, maybe he’ll understand more then my mother how much this means to me. Kevin came down and sat in the recliner across the room and my mom sat back down next to me.

“What’s this about Patrick?” My brother asked annoyingly.

“Hey if you don’t want to be a part of this conversation then just get up and leave right now.”

“Sorry. Go ahead.”

I pulled the little black box out of my pocket. Both of their eyes widened. I chuckled and looked at my mom who looked like she was about to faint.

“Are you ok mom?”

“Yeah. I’m just shocked.”

“What do you think of it?”

“It’s beautiful.”

“What do you think Kevin?”

“I say Piper will be flossy!”

Kevin came over to get a closer look.

“How could you afford this Patrick?”

“I’ve been saving up to get Piper something special, I was driving back from the hospital when I saw it in the window. I plan on giving it to her on the fourth of July, under the fireworks. Can she come over for the cook out?”

“Of course Patrick.”

“Wow Patrick, you sure know how to get your groove on. Soon enough they’ll be popping out babies.”

I threw a throw pillow at Kevin. He caught it and threw it back at me.

“Kevin, stop making fun of your brother, Patrick don’t throw pillows at Kevin.”

“Yeah Patrick you can knock an eye out.”

“Shut the fuck up.” I mouthed to Kevin.

“This is so exciting! I’m finally going to meet my little boy’s girlfriend.”

“Do you have to put it that way mom?”

“Yes.” She said as she kissed my cheek and went into the kitchen. Kevin just stared at me.

“What?”

“You’re really in love aren’t you?”

“Yes.”

“Are you sure you’re going to go through with this?”

“There’s no turning back now.” I put the box back in my pocket and held it there.

Back to Piper’s POV.

Fourth of July.

Patrick and I were down the street from his house. It was really hot out today but breezy. Patrick wiped the sweat of his brow.

“How’s Audrey doing?”

“Great.”

“That’s good.”

“Yup. Are you nervous?”

Patrick looked at me kind of, panicky.

“About what?”

“About me meeting your family.”

Patrick’s face eased up.

“No, how about you?”

“A little.”

“Well here we are.”

Patrick opened up the front door and pulled me inside. He hollered for his mom.

“Out in the back Patrick!”

I followed Patrick out to his backyard. It was a nice sized yard filled with loads of people.

“Are you ready to meet my mom and brother?”

“Uh huh.”

Patrick took me over to the grill where she was with a man in maybe his fifties. I waved politely and Patrick’s mom gave me a hug.

“So your Piper! It’s nice to finally meet you.”

“It’s nice to meet you too Mrs. Stump.”

“Please call me Pat. Mrs. Stump makes me feel old.”

I chuckled and looked at Patrick whose cheeks were pink. And out of nowhere a boy extended his hand out to me.

“And I’m Kevin, Patrick’s older brother.”

I shook Kevin’s hand and introduced myself.

“It’s nice for you to come Piper. Go ahead and help yourself to some of the food over on the table.”

“Thanks… Pat.”

I walked away, but before I was out of hearing range I could hear Kevin whispering to Patrick.

“Dude, she’s banging.”

“You can’t talk about my girlfriend like that!” Patrick yelled. I chuckled and made my way to the table. I picked up a plate and filled it up. Then a girl came over and introduced herself.

“I’m Julianne, I’m Patrick’s cousin.”

“Nice to meet you, I’m Piper…”

“Patrick’s girlfriend, I know.”

“Right.”

I don’t know if she was being nice or not. I really couldn’t tell.

“So how old are you?”

“Seventeen. You?”

“Fifteen.”

“Oh.”

“A little heads up about today, be prepared for anything. Sometimes my family can get rather, strange.”

I giggled as I filled a red cup with Sprite.

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“But other then that you out to have a good time. Why don’t you come with me and I’ll introduce you to the other cousins.”

“Ok.”

I followed Julianne over to one of the tables. Patrick looked my way and I waved for him to come over. At the table there was two twin girls and one boy.

“These are my sisters, Kelsey, Michelle. And this is our cousin Brian.”

“Hello.”

Kelsey and Michelle said hello back. Brian on the other hand looked like he was speechless.

“Calm down Brian, she’s with Ricky.” Julianne said. Brian frowned and looked down at his plate.

“Welcome to the family!” Michelle said and patted my back.

“Uh, thanks.”

Patrick came from behind me and kissed my cheek.

“Hey baby.”

“Sweetie.”

Patrick pulled up a chair.

“Patrick! We brought the karaoke machine!” Kelsey said excitedly. Patrick sighed.

“You have to do a song!” Brian said.

“No…”

“Come on Patrick. Do it for me.”

I batted my eyelashes. Patrick rolled his eyes.

“Fine.”

“Yay!” Julianne cheered.

Throughout most of the day I got to know Patrick’s cousins a lot and they were nice people. The sun was just about to go down when everyone decided to play karaoke. After all of his cousins went it was Patrick’s turn. When he started singing it was amazing. He really could sing! I sat there speechless throughout his song. When he sat back down I was searching for words to say.

“Patrick, you really are a good singer.”

“Really?”

“Yes!”

“Thanks.”

Patrick leaned in closer to me.

“Lets go up to my room so we can make out.” Patrick whispered with a devilish grin spread across his face.

“You know I can’t just do that.”

Patrick pulled me out of my chair and we both ran out of the backyard. When we got to his room he locked the door and our bodies crashed together. We forcefully made out and as he laid me down on the bed I took a second to take a breath.

“Are you sure we can do this with your whole family here?”

“We’ll be as quiet as possible.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Later.{/b]

I was putting my shirt back on and I couldn’t get the tie in the back tied right.

“Patrick help me with this, you took it off now put it back on.”

“Ok.”

He tied it in a bow and kissed my neck playfully. I giggled and looked out the window, it had gotten dark out.

“Come on we better go! The fireworks start soon.”

Patrick grabbed my hand and we both ran outside. When we got there Michelle and Kelsey looked at us suspiciously.

“What?” Patrick asked.

“Where did you go?” Kelsey asked.

“And for so long?” Michelle chimed in.

“Uh, I wanted to show Piper something.”

“Yeah and I lost one of my earrings so Patrick helped me search for it.”

Michelle and Kelsey didn’t say anything else. Patrick and I both smiled at each other then the first firework shot in the sky. Patrick wrapped his arms around me.

“Are you glad you came?”

“Yes, I had a lot of fun.”

“I want to ask you something.”

Patrick fished around his pocket for something. He pulled out a little black box.

“Will you wear this promise ring?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Le promise ring!

Image