La Vie En Rose

Chapter 16

Artist Vs Poet - Adorable

“Whoopie!” Garrett called out as he lost his footing. With one swing of the leg, he was on the carpet floor within seconds. Raising his hand in the air, he slurred. “How did I manage to get down here!?”

Kennedy, who I was originally helping walk up to the hotel room, had now slipped out of my grasp and started rolling on the ground. His cackling echoed through the noiseless hallway.

John and I looked at each other as Kennedy and Garrett crawled around on the hallway floor.

It was safe to say Garrett and Kennedy were highly intoxicated. Earlier in the evening, Tim wanted to treat everyone to a couple of Margaritas and Enchiladas at a Mexican Grill and Bar we found called ‘La Cocina’. The atmosphere at that restaurant was definitely something I have never experienced before. There were mexican decorations hanging off the ceilings - there was a floating, multi-colored pinata in a shape of a donkey above our table. We weren’t quite sure if we were allowed to hit it or not so we ignored it - and brightly colored maracas were pinned against the green, yellow and red painted walls. There was even a live, Mexican band playing with loud, sizable instruments, who were walking around table-to-table and singing traditional music. You can only imagine what it was like when they arrived at our table; I had to keep pulling Pat down when he attempted to jump up on his chair and clap along with the music.

By the time it was midnight, we decided to leave the restaurant before we outstayed our welcome. When we were outside, Tim, Pat and Jared insisted on going to some club they heard of in West Hollywood but Garrett and Kennedy were so past wasted, they could barely stand up on their own. So I, being the responsible and marvelous friend I was, told everyone else to go out and that I would bring Garrett and Kennedy back to the hotel. John also wanted to call it a night and proposed on helping me with the two hooligans. I gave him a grateful smile as he put Garrett’s arm around his neck. It had, after all, been a long day and I was so ready to climb into bed and sleep until the cows came home.

And believe me when I say, it has been a very long day indeed. I had spent a good part of the afternoon with John and let me just make it known, we certainly painted the town red. Hell, you could say we painted the town every damn color you could think of. He took me to all his favorite places: Hollywood BLVD, the LA Zoo and we even took a taxi to Venice beach, where there was a lot of little boutiques, vintage stores, tourist spots and aged record stores. I admired the fact that John didn’t want me to miss anything. I think I admired John in general, if I’m going to be straight with you. It was the little things he did, that really made my heart swell with affection. He always opened the door for me when we would leave a store, he paid for the taxi fee when we arrived at Venice beach and he even bought me a little keychain from a tourist shop on Hollywood Boulevard, that had a black little clapboard with the word ‘HOLLYWOOD’ written across it in gold cursive. I was completely mesmerized by all the gestures, of course, but at this point, my hormones were out of control. There were so many moments where I just wanted to grab his face and smack my lips onto his. However, the moment would pass, when I realized I didn’t have the guts to do it.

So now, here we were, a little bit past midnight, dragging Garrett and Kennedy by their heels, into the hotel room as they drunkenly sang ‘La Cucaracha’.

“Kenny-” Garrett slurred, slapping Kennedy across the face. “Ken. Kendall. Kenth. Ken-ninator. I love you man. I LOVE you.”

“Bro. Dude.” Kennedy responded, his eyes droopy. “I love you like you’re my freakin BROTHER, okay? You’re my freaking BROTHER.”

John closed the door as I stood above the two drunks. John and I shared another look before shaking our heads.

“You two,” I started, putting my hands on my hips. “are a bunch of hot messes.”

“Gigi, how long have you been standing over me!?” Garrett yelled, trying with all his might to lift his head. “What’s happening? Where am I? Where is home?”

“La Cucaracha! La Cucaracha! LA DA DA DA DA DA!” Kennedy started singing again, swaying his hands above him.

“Oh my God, Kennedy.” John leaned his hand on the side of his face as he peered down at Kennedy’s drunken state.

“I think,” Garrett pipped up, holding up one finger. “I had one too many mojitos. MOH-HEAT-TOES! What a delicious treat in a cup!”

“Alright, come on, up!” I started pulling at Kennedy’s arms, trying to get him to stand up. I ignored their lazy groans. “Let’s get you two to bed.”

As I struggled to get Kennedy up, John helped Garrett off the floor, simply by placing his hands under his arms and hoisting him up in one go. He made it look so easy.

By the time I dropped Kennedy onto the bed, Garrett started speaking again as John pulled him onto the other bed. “Can I just-can I just say something? I love you guys. I LOVE you guys. Gigigigigigi - I love you. John O’Callywagon? I love you. I love you both. So much. Never leave me! I just want to marry you both.”

John and I started laughing at Garrett’s declaration of love he had for us. Garrett hardly noticed since he was already dozing off, his eyes slowly closing with fatigue. I heard snoring behind me, making me glance over at Kennedy. He was already passed out, his arms and legs completely stretched out across the queen sized bed with his face wedged between the pillows. What a light weight.

“Finally.” I chortled softly.

“They can’t really hold their drinks that well.” John also chuckled as he explained.

“I gathered.” I smiled as I picked up my bag and fished around for my pajamas. Once I pulled them out, I made my way to the bathroom. “I’m gonna go change!”

When I got into the bathroom, I quickly braided my hair into a side plait before removing my clothes and changing into an old Arizona Cardinals football jersey and a pair of black silky shorts from American Apparel. Catching a glimpse at myself in the bathroom mirror, it suddenly dawned on me that this would be the first time I spend the night in a room...with three other boys. I was a little anxious sharing a bed with Kennedy, I had to admit, but it was after all, just sharing a bed. I should be more concerned about whether or not I might accidentally kick him in his manhood in my sleep. That wouldn’t go over well.

When I exited the bathroom, the lamps that were on before, had already been turned off and the fuzzy glow from the TV was now illuminating the room. I looked over at the bed closest to me and saw John already tucked in, next to Garrett, with a remote in his hand. I also noticed he was very much shirtless - instantly, my envy for the unconscious Garrett strengthened.

I took a quick glance at the television screen to see what John was watching as I stuffed my old clothes back into my bag and dropping it on the floor. I noticed Kennedy forgot to take off his shoes so I, being the little saint that I am, untied his laces and disregarded his shoes on the floor.

“Hey John, quick question.” I enquired as I grabbed my Blackberry, pushed Kennedy to the other side of the bed and jumped under the covers. “Why in Gods name, are you watching Madeline!?”

He laughed and ran a hand through his messy hair. “It’s either this or The Devil Wears Prada.”

“Oh. Madeline it is, then. I’ve see The Devil Wears Prada more times than I can count.”

“Exactly.”

I smiled and pulled the covers up to my chin as I cheerfully watched Madeline with John. I took the time to relish in this very, serene moment, for tomorrow was going to be a busy day for all of us. The guys were filming their music video for “Everything I Ask For” while I was holding model auditions in the vacant ballroom downstairs. I didn’t have much time to dwell over how the auditions would turn out tomorrow because the minute my head hit that pillow, a feeling of drowsiness took over me. The last thing I remember seeing on the television was Madeline falling into a river bank before I had fallen into a deep slumber.

A shrill. A painfully, loud, ear-piercing shrill was the first thing I woke up to the next morning. After a split-second of gathering my thoughts, I came to the realization that it was the hotel room phone. I cringed and lifted my head up, trying to find out where it was coming from. As it cried out for the third time, I noticed it was right by my face on the bed side table.

I quickly withdrew my hand from under the covers and picked it up. I felt Kennedy twist around in his sleep behind me. “Hello?”

“Hello, room three-four-two? This is the front desk calling.” A loud and happy voice responded on the other side of the line. I cringed, trying to make sense of what was going on.

“Yes?” My voice sounded groggy and raspy. How attractive.

“There is someone here to see Ms.Gigi King.” The voice spoke again.

I felt my brows furrow with confusion. Who on earth would be here to see me? Could it be a model? The auditions didn’t start until two pm. I glanced at the alarm clock and noticed it was only ten in the morning. Weird.

“Um...alright. Sure. Tell them I’ll be down in a second.” I told the front desk before hanging up and rubbing the sleep from my eyes. It probably was some model who got the times mixed up.

Pulling the covers back, I quietly hopped out of bed, making sure I wouldn’t wake anyone. I tip-toed over to my bag and pulled out an old Parsons hoodie and threw it on. As I slipped on my flip-flops, I glanced at the three sleeping boys. They looked so peaceful. I couldn’t help but smile when my eyes landed on John. He had one arm lazily over his eyes, his mouth moderately hanging open. Remembering why I was up in the first place, I rapidly grabbed my phone and room key and quietly sneaked out of the room.

When I reached the lobby, I felt a little self-conscious that I was still clad in my pajamas, but I assumed this would only take a second. I walked up to the front desk to see a blonde haired lady, in her late forties, sitting patiently on her chair. When she noticed me she looked up and flashed her perfect pearly-whites. I almost had to shield my eyes.

“Hi, I’m Gigi King from room three-four-two.” I announced, leaning both hands on the edge of the desk, “You told me someone was here to see me?”

“I’m right here, bitch.” A voice called from behind me.

That voice. It was so familiar. I knew who it belonged to, but there was no way. It was impossible. I had to be wrong.

I whipped around and gasped loudly when I saw who it was. Here, in the lobby of my hotel, stood my best friend Alma Kilbourne.

We both squealed and jumped into each other’s arms.

“What!?” I exclaimed loudly, not caring that people were watching us with curiosity, “What are you doing here!? How did you-I can’t-HOW ARE YOU HERE!?”

“Convinced my mom to let me come down on the red-eye.” She shrugged with a pleased look on her face. “Paid for my ticket and all. I have friends down here that I can stay with so it’s no biggie. Besides, I can’t let you take on those model auditions all by yourself now, can I? I don’t want to miss out on all the fun.”

I couldn’t believe she was here in Los Angeles, California. Standing right in front of me, no doubt. I hugged her again tightly, just to make sure this was real.

“Alma, I think I’m in a state of shock.” I told her, releasing her once more. “How did you know where I was staying!?”

“Facebooked your sister for deets, of course!” She gave me a smug look before lifting up a little white, rolled up bag. “Now that the element of surprise is out of the way, let’s eat these blueberry muffins by the pool, order some coffee and catch up.”

“So how long are you staying here for?” I asked Alma as we found an empty table with chairs on the patio. We sat right in front of the hotel pool which was completely empty. This was understandable since it was quite chilly out this morning, despite the bright sunny shining brilliantly in the sky above us. The minute the sliding glass doors opened, the icy wind brushed past my bare legs, letting goosebumps arose on my skin. There was, however, a good few guest sitting at several tables, drinking tea and coffee or reading today’s newspaper.

Alma fished through her bag, picked out a box of cigarettes and lighter before answering. “I’m catching a flight back to Washington tomorrow afternoon. I have some family dinner I’m being dragged to tomorrow night and I only agreed to go if my mom let me come down here to help you.”

“Awe Alma!” I cooed. Alma was everything you wanted in a best friend. I was lucky to have found her in NYC. “You’re too kind!”

“What can I say?” She laughed as she took a drag from her cigarette. She released the smoke from her mouth before speaking once more. “I made a deal with the devil. Now, where are the rest of your minions?”

“Minions?” I question, pulling my feet up and hugging them with my arms.

“You know, the rest of the guys you’ve been gallivanting around town with?” She smiled and gave a quick ‘Thank you’ to the waiter who brought out the coffee and cups we ordered.

I smiled at the waiter and reached over to the little white pot that held the coffee, and poured myself a cup. “Oh! They’re all upstairs sleeping. They should be up soon, actually. They have to go downtown to film a music video for their single.”

“I see.” Alma nodded, adding sugar to her coffee. “And how’s your crush on the lead singer holding up?”

Alma waited patiently with an amused expression as I finished taking a sip of my cup of hot coffee. “You can wipe that smirk off your face right now, Alma Kilbourne, nothing is going to happen between us.”

“Boo!” She whined. “Why not?”

I was about to go into my intricate theory about both of us living extremely busy lives when I was cut off by the ringtone of my Blackberry.

Kennedy calling.

“Oh one second, Kennedy is calling.” I said to Alma before pressing the green button and lifting my phone to my ear. “Hello?”

“So, waking up to your empty side of the bed has made me completely understand why girls are so uptight about guys leaving before they’re awake.” Kennedy stated. “Where are you!?”

I laughed and replied. “I’m by the pool with a friend. She came by as a surprise. How’s the hangover?”

“If you could just imagine being whacked repetitively against your head, by a metal, spiked baseball bat.” Kennedy moaned. “Thats how the hangover is currently feeling.”

“Can I just do a re-cap for you from last night? ‘La Cucaracha’ on the bedroom floor.” I laughed when I caught Alma watching me with a raised eyebrow.

“Oh God. That happened, didn’t it?” I heard him laugh quietly.

“Yep. Hey, I never knew you were a good singer!” I teased.

“Shut up, I hate you!” He exclaimed. “Anyways, I’m gonna wake up the other guys. We’re suppose to be leaving soon. We’ll come meet you downstairs.”

Sure enough, fifteen minutes after Kennedy called, all six boys were spotted walking out to the pool area. Alma was trying hard to suppress the fangirl within her - She made it well aware to me that she was a fan of the band.

“They’re coming. They see us. Oh my God. They’re walking over here right now.” Alma started hyperventilating. I looked at her with bewilderment. I’ve never seen this side of Alma before.

“Will you calm down!?” I laughed, turning around and waving to the guys. “You’re acting crazy. Compose yourself!”

“I need another cigarette.” She muttered, fiddling with the box and lighter.

I rolled my eyes and turned back around to smile at the guys. “Good morning princesses! Sleep well?”

“Like a baby.” John answered as he stretched his arms out and yawned.

Garrett had a frown on his face, his black rayban sunglasses covering his eyes. His hair was an absolute mess and his hands were shoved into the pockets of his jacket. He stood next to me and starred at me. I simply smiled.

“Hangover treating you well?” I asked, grinning at his aching state.

He shook his head slowly, apparently not able to respond. It was so weird seeing such a quiet Garrett after witnessing him last night. I reached up and rubbed his back to comfort him, giving him a reassuring smile.

After I introduced all the guys to Alma, who nervously waved to all of them (it was still weird seeing this side of Alma. She was usually the one making the guys nervous with her loud and proud personality), Tim let all the guys know that they had to leave in ten minutes. He excused himself to make a phone call to the producer and to go start up the van.

“When are you guys gonna be back?” I asked curiously as Tim stalked away with a phone glued to his ear.

“I think I heard Tim say five-ish.” Jared answered.

“We’ll call later to update you.” Kennedy smiled, messing up my hair.

“Alright.” I agreed, swatting Kennedy’s hand away from my head. “Good luck! Don’t break a leg! Or do, I don’t care.”

“Rude!” Pat called as they started walking away.

I laughed and waved goodbye. When I turned back to Alma, she was smirking at me. I looked at her weirdly. “What?”

“Were you aware that John has been straight-up watching you with a smile for the past ten minutes?” She asked.

I felt my cheeks burn red with embarrassment. “No he wasn’t! Don’t be silly!”

“Whatever you say, Gigi.” She rolled her eyes at me before picking up her handbag and pulling out her polaroid camera. She placed it on the table and gave me a devilish grin. “Shall we get this show on the road then? I didn’t come down here to sunny California for nothing.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This was suppose to be out a couple of hours earlier but I got distracted by the emmys & True Blood. My b!

Anyways, thank you SO SO MUCH for all the comments I got today! I'm going to respond to all of you right now! Please, feel free to leave a comment if you haven't done so already :) I love you guys! Seriously, every time I get a new subscriber or comment, I get so inspired to continue on with the next chapter. Speaking of, I'm working on the next one right now ;)