I Saw Your Heart as It Overtook Me

Guilty Feelings

I stood there in front of the bathroom mirror applying a clear coat of lip gloss to finalize my make up for the night. I rubbed my lips together to sort of even out the glass and then puckered them up, making a kissy face at myself in the mirror. Thinking I was by myself in the bathroom, I made a couple more goofy faces at myself before I heard a soft laugh from behind me.

I felt my cheeks instantly turn red and I whipped around, coming face to face with a rather amused looking Matt.

"Why hello my lovely Valentine." He said in his trying to be sexy voice.

'Trying' is the key word there.

I felt my face grow even hotter and Matt laughed even more, taking me into his arms, rocking me gently.

"Are you all ready baby?" He asked, planning a soft kiss upon my lips.

"Yeah." I mumbled against his lips. "I'm good to go."

"Okay, let's get out of here before the flood waters rise." He said, pulling away from me.

"Shut up." I laughed, playfully slapping his stomach.

"No, dude, seriously, have you looked outside? It's raining like a motherfucker and the streets are like ... flooded." He said, pulling me out into the bedroom and to the window so I could see for myself.

"Holy crap babe." I said, staring out at the storm. "Maybe we should just stay home, the roads look pretty ... dangerous."

"What? We can't stay home on Valentines Day though." Matt protested. "And we already have dinner reservations for tonight."

"Well, I was just saying." I said quietly. "As long as you drive careful Matt."

"Don't worry baby, I'm an exceptional driver." He smirked, holding my coat out for me to put on.

"Alright." I grinned. "I trust you."

Yes, today was Valentines Day and Matt insisted we'd go out to some fancy restaurant to have dinner. I never realized what a hopeless romantic Matt tended to be from time to time, not that I had any problem whatsoever with it.

After I put my coat on Matt laced his fingers with mine, reaching over to lock his lips with mine before he led me out into the hallway and down stairs. Just as Matt opened the door leading into the garage, my cell phone started to go off in my pocket. Matt let my hand go as we split up to go to go on either side of the car and I pulled my cell out.

I rolled my eyes when I seen Zacky Cell flashing across the screen and opened my door when Matt unlocked it.

"Talk to me, Vengeance." I said taking a seat.

"Dude, sister, are you at the house still?" He asked hurriedly.

"Um, yeah, well, we're in the garage." I said slowly. "Why?"

"Don't go anywhere." He said sternly.

"Why not?" I asked snootily.

"Well for one, it'll just be a waste of time because the power is out in downtown, and two, all the roads down there are closed." He replied in the same tone as I had asked my question.

"Oh." I mumbled. "Well that fucking blows."

"What blows?" Matt asked, starting up the car.

"Zacky just said the powers out downtown and all the roads are closed."

"What?" Matt asked, looking a bit crestfallen. "That does fucking blow."

I nodded my head and got back to my conversation with my brother.

"Well, where are you?"

"Me and Amber are on our way over to your house."

"Why the hell are you guys coming over here?"

"Because ... your house is big, and we're bored."

"Uh, your house is bigger." I said as I climbed back out of the car and took Matt's hand as we headed back to the main part of the house.

"But, you guys have that new pool table and air hockey table." He whined. "Plus you guys have a generator just in case the power goes out here as well."

"Ooo, tell her we're gonna have a Johnny Depp movie marathon." Amber said in the background.

I could practically hear Zacky rolling his eyes.

"Anyway, we'll be over in a few minutes." Zacky said. "And yeah, we invited Lissa, Syn, Jimmy, and Alyssa so you're gonna have a house full."

"Yeah, whatever. See you in a few." I replied and hung up.

I turned to Matt and wrapped my arms around his waist, burying my face in his chest.

"Amber and Zacky are coming over?" He asked.

I nodded my head.

"As well as everybody else in Huntington." I mumbled.

**********************************************

I sat there curled up on the couch with my head resting on Matt's lap while we watched Syn hook up the television, PS2, and Direct TV receiver to the extension cord running from the generator. Yes, the generator. Somewhere between Johnny falling down the stairs and Jimmy tripping over seemingly his own feet, the lights went out.

That was nearly three hours ago. We tried to keep ourselves entertained by playing twister and clue, but the sun had long set, taking our interest in the games with it. We were restless, we were bored, and if this storm didn't lighten up anytime soon, we would most likely get cabin fever as well.

"Alright." Syn said, straightening himself up. "It's all set. Go turn the generator on Matt."

"Why me?" Matt protested as he ran his fingers through my hair.

"Because it's your damn generator." Syn said, taking a seat by Lissa.

"Fine then." Matt mumbled and nudged me gently so I sat up.

Matt stood up and turned around, taking me by my hand and pulling me up to my feet.

"What?" I asked, giving him a funny look.

"Come with me." He said, giving me a quick kiss.

As he pulled away he flashed me his adorable smile that made his dimples show and of course whenever I caught sight if those, I'd agree to anything he said. I let him pull me off across the living room, down the hallway, through the kitchen and to the door that led off into the garage, where we kept the generator. He detached his hand from mine as we came to a stop in front of the generator and his checked some switches, adjusted some knobs, finally turning on the damn thing.

"Wow, that looked extremely hard." I said sarcastically as he turned back to me.

Matt shrugged his shoulders and wrapped his arms around my waist, giving me a tight hug. I smiled to myself as I wrapped my arms around his shoulders, hugging him back.

"I love you baby." He said softly, rocking me gently.

"I know." I whispered. "I love you too baby."

I'm not sure how long Matt and I stood there holding onto each other, but I do know that my brother had to pick the worse moment to walk in and interrupt us.

"Hey, what's taking you guys so long?" He asked. "Hurry up and turn on the damn generator."

"It is on, you dumb ass." Matt retorted.

"Well, it's not working." Zacky said blankly.

"How do you know it's not working?"

"The television's still blank."

"Did you fucking try and turn the television on?" I asked, getting slightly irritated for being interrupted.

"Oh, uh ... no."

"Well, there's your fucking problem." I said.

"Geesh, bitchy much?" Zacky mumbled.

"Only when dealing with retards that go by the alias of Zacky Vengeance."

Zacky narrowed his eyes at me and turned on his heal, stomping his way back to the main part of the house. Matt laughed a little as Zacky slammed the door shut behind him.

"You're such a punk ass to him." He grinned, pulling me off towards his car.

"Well, because he's such a punk ass to me." I huffed.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." He laughed.

Matt pulled away from me and opened the back door, climbing into the backseat before he turned a little and held his hand out to me. I gave him a funny look and he motioned for me to take a seat beside him.

"What?" I asked.

"Just come sit by me." He replied, reaching over to grab a hold of my hand.

He pulled me towards him suddenly and I didn't have enough time to duck down before my forehead came in contact with the frame of the door.

"Owch, motherfucker." I mumbled, jerking my hand away from Matt's to hold my forehead that was pulsing with a dull pain.

"Oh shit, I'm sorry baby." Matt said hurriedly, taking me in his arms.

"You did it on purpose." I mumbled.

He laughed a little and pulled me onto his lap, closing the door as soon as he was sure my head was out of the way. He kissed my forehead gently before he sat me down beside him on the seat.

"So why the hell are we hanging out in the back seat of your car?" I asked.

I watched as he reached up to the front and turned the key back a little so that only the stereo was on.

"Because I wanted some alone time with you." He said quietly. "Since we didn't get to have dinner together, by ourselves."

"Matt, we have dinner alone together like ... four nights out of the week."

"But it's Valentines Day." He mumbled. "Plus it's our three month anniversary. I just, wanted it to be me and you all day today."

"Oh ... Well in that case ... why aren't we having alone time in our room?" I asked, placing my hand on his upper leg.

"Because this is the only place where the stereo works." He said, looking over his shoulder to give me a little grin.

I smiled to myself as I watched him pull a CD out of his CD case and put it into the stereo. He grabbed his little remote he had for his CD player and he sat back, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. He brought my legs up so they were resting across the top of his and he pulled me closer to him, letting me rest my head on his chest.

I wrapped my arms around Matt's middle and cuddled even more into him while the sounds of Bob Seger's 'You'll Accomp'ny Me' started to quietly play out of the speakers.

"Well, I suppose this is a lot better than listening to my brother whine around." I said, closing my eyes as Matt started to run his fingers through my hair.

"Mhm. A lot better." He said softly.

He tightened his arm around my shoulder and removed his hand from my hair to place it on my cheek, caressing it softly with his thumb. He took in a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"Guess what." He whispered.

"Chickens butt?"

"No." He mumbled. "I'm pregnant."

"Shut up." I laughed.

Matt laughed a little as well but then let out another long sigh. I pulled one of my arms back and placed my hand on top of his, looking up at him. I felt my heart drop slightly when I saw the trouble look on his face.

"What's wrong babe?" I asked.

"We're going back into the studio the day after tomorrow." He said quietly.

"Oh ... But aren't you supposed to be psyched about going back into the studio?" I asked slowly.

"What? Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm definitely very fucking psyched to be working on the new album."

I frowned to myself a little and gave Matt a funny look.

"It's just that I'm probably going to be gone a lot of the time and busy in the studio ... and I'm not gonna be able to spend as much time with you, here at the house." He mumbled.

"Oh, well, you're still gonna be home at nights, right?"

"Yeah, of course I am. But I'll probably be so tired that we won't get to really do anything together." He sighed. "That's why I've been wanting to squeeze in all this 'me and you' time lately."

"Aww. Well ... " I trailed off, catching sight of the sad look in Matt's eyes. "How long are you guys going to be recording?"

Matt shrugged his shoulders.

"For however long it takes to get it done."

"Oh." I said quietly. "I'm sure it'll go by in no time baby. Music's what you love; it won't be that bad."

"Yeah, I suppose." He mumbled. "It's just that ... I don't know ... " He trailed off. "If feel bad for leaving you all alone during the day time."

"Shh, don't worry about it, Matt." I said, reaching up to kiss his lips softly. "Just as long as you don't find yourself a mistress at this studio." I joked.

"Yeah, I might consider it." He sighed, nodding his head a little.

"Ha, yeah, whatever Mr. Sanders." I said, patting his stomach. "If you do, I'll make sure to castrate you on the spot."

"Baby, you know I wouldn't even dream of seeing someone else." He said sincerely, kissing my forehead. "My heart belongs to you and only you."

With these few words I felt my heart melt inside of me, cheesy as it may sound. I didn't know what to say in response to this so I didn't say anything. Instead and I placed my hand on Matt's cheek and brought him down into a deep kiss. I felt his tongue trace the outline of my lips and I didn't hesitate to part them for him. He slowly slid inside and started to massage my tongue with his own.

After a couple minutes of this scaled down, er, make out session I guess you could call it, Matt pulled away and pressed his forehead against mine.

"I love you Lauren." He said softly.

"I know baby." I whispered. "I love you too."

He gave me a soft smile and one more kiss before he pulled away and reached for the door. I slid my legs off the top of his and cocked my head to the side, wondering what he was doing.

"Dance with me baby." He said sweetly, turning up the stereo using his remote. "This is our song."

Matt tossed the remote to the driver's seat and climbed out of the car. He turned around and held his hand out, helping me out as well. He shut the door behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist as he slowly started to revolve us on the spot.

"Uh, but there's no music Matt." I said slowly.

"What? Oh, damn, hang on." He said, pulling away and opening the driver side door to mess with his stereo and turned the volume up.

He rolled his window down before he climbed back out and shut the door, taking me in his arms once more.

"But-"

I stopped myself short when I heard The Eagles' 'Love Will Keep Us Alive' starting to play and couldn't help but smile. I wrapped my arms around Matt's shoulders and rested my head on his chest, slowly moving back and forth with him in time to the song.

"So this is our song, huh Matt?"

"Mhmm."

"But what about Abracadabra?" I asked with a hint of laughter in my voice.

"Shush." He laughed, pinching my side a little. "That was more like mine song for you. But this is our song because it, well, it suits us."

"Oh, like it can be our theme song?" I joked.

"Oh, be quiet, you're ruining the moment." He huffed.

"My bad." I grinned.

I fell silent and had actually started to listen to the words when Matt slowly started to sing along with the song.

" Lost and lonely, now you've given me the will to survive. When were hungry, love will keep us alive. Don't you worry, sometimes you've just gotta let it ride. The world is changing right before your eyes. Now I've found you, there's no more emptiness inside. When were hungry, love will keep us alive. I would die for you, climb the highest mountain. Baby, there's nothing I wouldn't do. Now I found you there's no more emptiness inside, when we're hungry love will keep us alive."

Matt adjusted me a little in his arms, holding me closer.

"I would die for you, climb the highest mountain. Baby, there's nothing I wouldn't do. I was standing all alone against the world outside. You were searching for a place to hide. Lost and lonely, now you've given me the will to survive. When were hungry, love will keep us alive. When were hungry, love will keep us alive. When were hungry, love will keep us alive."

I closed my eyes as Matt and I continued to dance along to some more slow songs. It funny, you know, because I never would have dreamt, what with a history like mine, that I'd have ended up with such an amazing life such as this. I live in an amazing house, have the most amazing friends, and have the most amazing boyfriend who would, in time, make the most amazingly stupid decisions ever.