I Saw Your Heart as It Overtook Me

Only Fools Rush In

I heard Matt humming softly beside me and I smiled a little to myself, thinking about the day to come. I felt the goose bumps ripple across my bare skin as he ran his fingers softly across my back, slowing tracing the outline of the backbone inked underneath my skin. I didn't move or even say a word because I didn't want him to know I was awake.

I knew once he knew I was awake, he'd stop his fingers and for some odd reason I didn't want him to stop. His touch did something to me, something I couldn't really explain. It was as if his mere touch would set fire to my skin while at the same time it sent chills rippling across the surface. His hands seemed so foreign when they brushed against my flesh, yet they were the only pair of hands that seemed to feel right to caress my body.

It was weird feeling alright, but you and I both know that I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I felt Matt's hands pause for a second and I unknowingly shifted a little as to try and encourage him to resume his actions.

"Lauren?" He asked softly, pulling his hands away altogether. "Are you awake?"

"If I said no, will you let you hands go back to wandering?" I mumbled into the pillow.
"No." Matt laughed. "If you said 'no' I would poke you until you woke up because its time for you to get up and get ready."

"Mattie, why do we have to leave so early though?" I whined, rolling over so I could wrap my arms around Matt's middle, resting my head on his bare chest.

"Because we have to drive all the way up to fucking San Francisco." He replied, wrapping his arms around my body to pull me a little closer to him.

"It doesn't take that long to get up to San Francisco though." I said. "I mean, we don't have to be getting up at the fucking butt crack of dawn just to go up there. We don't even have to be up there until 8 o'clock tonight, Matt."

I looked up at him and gave him my evil eye, sticking out my bottom lip a little to try and put him on a guilt trip. 'Try' is the key word there. However, my attempt only caused Matt to laugh once again and he pulled himself into sitting position, pulling me up as well.

"Come on babe, let's go jump in the shower." He said, pulling me onto his lap as he swung his legs over the edge of the bed.

"I'm asleep though." I muttered.

"Well, you can sleepwalk yourself into the shower."

"Hmpf."

"Lauren, did I mention we're going up to the Bay Area so early because we were planning on going to Marine World?" Matt asked sweetly as he stood up, holding me bridal style.

"What? We are?" I asked excitedly.

Matt gave me a cute smile, nodding his head before giving me a quick kiss on the lips and took off across the room towards the bathroom.

Today was the day before the start of Warped Tour 2005, which was kicking off in San Francisco [I know that's not really where it started off but bare with me people], and for some odd reason the label had arranged that we'd meet up with our bus in San Francisco, rather than just meeting up with them here in Huntington. But then again, I rarely did understand the reasons as to why labels did a lot of the stuff they did.

The guys were really looking forward to this years Warped Tour because of the fact that they had released their third full length album, City of Evil, a few weeks ago. It sounds a bit different from their older stuff, mainly because Matt decided to sing more than scream, but it was different in a real good way.

Maybe, just maybe, with the release of the new record the guys would finally get the recognition and attention that they deserved. However, we all know how arrogant guys tend to be when the spotlight is focused on them, and how stupid they could be when they want something they know they shouldn't have.

*********************************************

I felt the car come to a stop and I opened my eyes to find that we had finally arrived at Six Flags Marine World in Vallejo. I let out a little yawn and looked down to find Matt's head resting in my lap while he was fast asleep. I reached over and began to run my fingers through his soft, black hair. He stirred a little and finally slowly opened his eyes, looking up at me.

"We're here, babe." I said softly, moving my hand down to the side of his face.

"Alright." He said quietly, leaning into my touch.

I gave him a soft smile and leaned over, pressing my lips to his. I felt him run his tongue along my lips and seeing as how we never got the chance to make out at all that day I figured that we'd be able to squeeze in a little scaled down make out session while we waited for the rest of our party to show up. I parted my lips for him and he hungrily shoved his tongue into my mouth, placing a hand behind my head to pull me down even further.

"Ugh, stop it." Zacky mumbled from the front seat.

Matt and I both ignored him and continued on with our little make out session for about a minute more before I felt something hit me on the side of the head. I instantly pulled away from Matt and narrowed my eyes at my brother, giving him a dirty look. Matt sat up while I picked up the empty mountain dew bottle Zacky had throw at me and threw it back at him, nailing him in the middle of his forehead.

"Bitch." He mumbled, rubbing his forehead.

"Whore." I replied, giving him a little smirk.

"Proud of it."

I laughed a little and scooted up a little so I was now resting in the little space between the driver's seat and the passengers seat.

"Yo, where's the rest of our homies at?" I asked Amber, reaching over and poking her belly.

"They should be here in a couple of minutes." She said, slapping my hand away. "So for the time being just chill, aight?"

"Aight." I laughed, turning to look at my brother. "Hey Zacky, I've got something to confess."

"What's that, sis?" He asked.

I hesitated for a second, looking over my shoulder to Matt, flashing him a little wink before I turned back to my brother.

"Matt and I are engaged." I said, trying my best to keep a straight face.

I have to admit, the look on Zacky's face was priceless. He sat there, his eyes looking as if they were capable to popping out of his head, his mouth hanging wide open, and the color drained from his face.

"W-What?" He stuttered. "I-I ... what?!"

- || Matt's POV || -
From my spot on the seat I was able to see the look on Zacky's face and tried my best not to laugh at him. He sat there, almost in shock as to what to say.

"Oh ho, psych!" Lauren laughed.

I saw the annoyance flash across Zacky's face and I reached over, pulling Lauren back in my lap and out of Zacky's reach before he was able to get a hold of her.

"Gah, Lauren, I could kick your ass right now." Zacky said, shaking a fist in her direction. "Don't fucking scare me like that again."

"What? It scares you to think about your sister getting engaged?" Amber asked, the sound of amusement sketched in her tone.

"Well ... " Zacky trailed off, giving me his evil eye. "A little."

I rolled my eyes and looked down at Lauren, who was trying her hardest to get as much space between her and Zacky as possible. I laughed and wrapped my arms around her, holding her in place while Zacky and Amber got into a whole conversation as to why the idea of Lauren getting engaged scared him.

Knowing how Zacky was so damn protective over Lauren, it often made me wonder how he'd react when I actually did decide to pop the question. True, Lauren and I have only been together for six months, but I already decided that she was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Hell, I think I just might have reached that decision before we even started dating.

Don't believe me?

Well, I have a pretty little engagement ring in a black velvet box resting in my pocket that just may persuade you to believe me. Yes, I had gotten Lauren an engagement ring. I don't know how I'm going to ask her, or even when I'm going to ask her, but I will someday soon.

Some may think it a bit foolish to rush into a commitment such as marriage, but they obviously didn't know just how much I loved this girl. There wasn't anything I wouldn't do for her; I'd bend over backwards at her command, jump every time she snapped her fingers, and come running whenever she called. Lauren truly was a one of a kind and whenever I'm with her I just feel ... whole.

My entire life I had always had that feeling that something was missing from it and it wasn't until Lauren walked into my life that I realized what it was. Whenever I wasn't with her, I'd think about her endlessly and I couldn't help but get an empty feeling inside of me. Trust me, when you find someone who makes you feel the way that Lauren makes me feel, you'll know then and there you'll want to spend the rest of your life with them. If your love for them is true and theirs for you, you shouldn't have to wait for one or two years to decide to settle down with them, should you?

I glanced down at Lauren to find that she was now annoying her older brother by throwing random spit wads at him and let a little smile cross my face.

No, you shouldn't have to wait that long and I certainly didn't plan to. However, what with my irrational impulses, maybe I should wait a little while longer, for Lauren's sake at least.
- || End of Matt's POV || -

I sat there beside Matt at our booth located in the VIP section of the club. There was maybe one or two of us drunk ... well, only one of us and three guesses as to whom it was. Yes, me. Actually, I wasn't full blown drunk, just more like straddling the line.

"Mattie, let's go dance." I said, tugging on his arm slightly.

"It's getting late though babe." He said, kissing my forehead. "We should probably get going pretty soon."

"Just one dance, please?" I asked.

"We can dance once we get back to our bus, hun." He said as everybody stood up.

I shook my head and leaned over to whisper in his ear.

"I was gonna give you a lap dance though."

I smirked a little to myself when I heard the breath get caught slightly in Matt's throat and his arm tightened involuntarily around my waist.

"I, um ... you guys go ahead." Matt said, nodding towards the gang while trying to keep his voice smooth. "We'll meet you back at the bus."

There came a few replies of 'alright' and of course a dirty look from my brother before the gang disappeared from sight, leaving just me and Matt all alone in our somewhat secluded booth. I felt Matt's fingers fumbling around with the bottom of my shirt as I repositioned myself so that I was now straddling his lap. I reached over, pressing my lips to his as my hands started to wander through his hair. Matt began to kiss me back for a few seconds before he pulled away, his breathing somewhat uneven.

"I-I thought you were going to give me a l-lap dance." He said nervously.

I raised an eyebrow and gave him a little smirk.

"I'm getting there."

Matt bit his lip and nodded his head, placing his hands on my hips as I began to grind them into his. He tilted his head back a little and let out a little moan, digging his nails into my skin. I reached over and planted some soft, random kisses on the side of his neck before I pulled away from him to stand up.

Or, at least I tried to stand up, but because of the alcohol running through my system and taking control of my legs, my knees buckle from under me, sending me straight to the ground with a dull thud.

"Oh, shit, baby are you okay?" Matt asked hurriedly, picking me up off the floor with ease. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine." I mumbled, rubbing my elbow a little.

"Are you sure?" He questioned. "It sounded like you hit pretty hard sweetie."

"Nothing hurt but my ego."

Matt let out a little laugh as he brushed the hair out of my face, tucking it behind my ear. He pulled me closer to him so that my head was resting on his chest.

"Maybe we should finish this up later, babe, and get back to the bus." He said softly.

"Alright." I whispered.

Matt reached over and pressed his lips to my forehead for a few brief seconds before he stood up, holding my bridal style. He set off, pushing his way through the crowd and towards the front exit.

"Baby, I gotta go to the bathroom first." I said as he passed the restrooms.

"Can you handle going in there by yourself?" Matt asked, stopping in his tracks.

"Why, you wanna come in with me?" I grinned.

"No." He laughed. "I mean can you walk alright now?"

"Yeah, I'm good to go nucka."

Matt rolled his eyes but smiled all the same at my response and set me gently back on my feet. He grabbed a hold of my hand, leading me towards the restrooms.

"Alright babe." He said as he came to a stop right outside of the ladies room. "I'll be right here."

I gave him a somewhat drunken smile as I walked past him and into the bathroom. I found an empty stall, did my stuff, and went to the sink to wash my hands when I looked over and locked my gaze with a familiar pair of eyes.

"Well, what have we here." Val said, narrowing her eyes at me.

"Good Lord, don't tell me." I retorted. "Y'all best not be on the fucking Warped Tour again this year."

"If we are, what is it to you?"

"I'll tell you what it is to me, a fucking pain in the ass." I said bitterly as I began to wash my hands.

"Yeah, likewise." She said, taking a second or two to look at her reflection.

"You know what, fuck you, bitch." I snapped. "Just because Matt dumped your bitch ass for someone who 'wasn't capable of loving'."

Val responded with a cold look and a slight roll of the eyes.

"Nice ring you got there." She said bluntly, nodding towards my promise ring. "Looks just like the one Matt gave me when we were dating."

"I-" I stopped myself short, thinking of a smart ass come back. "Hold up real fast." I said, shoving my way past her and to the exit.

I opened the door and peaked out, spotting Matt standing in the exact same spot as where I had left him. He gave me a cute smile and reached over, pulling me the rest of the way out of the doorway.

"Matt, you gave me a second hand ring?" I asked, holding it up to him.

"I, what? No." He said, giving me a funny look. "What makes you say that?"

"Val said it looked just like the one you gave her." I said, frowning a little.

"I ... I gave Val a ring but it's not the same one I gave you." He said softly. "Baby, I got that ring for you the same day I gave it to you. I even have the receipt if you want to see it."

"Oh." I said quietly, heading back into the bathroom. "Just making sure."

"Baby, wai-"

Matt's voice was cut off when the door closed behind me, leaving just Val in I to ourselves.

"What? Finally thought up a lame come back?" She asked sarcastically.

I gave her a little smirk as I walked up to her and reared my hand back before I brought it forward with all the strength I could muster, punching her right in the middle of her face.