His Own Harley Quinn

Nineteen

She was in the middle of a million dollar pool as she sat in the living room, Harley Quinn giggled as she threw the money up in the air and watched it land all over the living room.
“We hit the jackpot, puddin’!” she squealed.
Jackie sighed as she remained on the carpet; the bills were crisp and felt smooth against her skin as she watched The Joker and Harley Quinn bask in their successful night.
“What do you say ‘Dr. Crane’, that we all go out for a night on the town?” The Joker asked.
Crane leaned against the wall with his arms crossed, smiling at him with his smug smile.
Jackie slowly got up off the floor, climbing over the couch to attempt and not ruin Harley’s pool of cash.
“I’m going to bed,” Jackie announced, walking into the back hallway towards the bedrooms.
The three villains went quiet, listening to Jackie as she closed a bedroom door behind her.
Harley sighed as she turned to The Joker. “Maybe she needs some fresh air,” She suggested.
Crane shook his head. “No,” he said, almost reassuring himself.
The Joker crossed his arms. “Then what do you suggest doctor? What’s your diagnosis?” he asked while walking up to the thin man.
“We need to find the Batman; otherwise she is going to be useless,” Crane remarked. He looked dead into The Joker’s brown eyes as he stood his ground.
The Joker smiled. “I think I have an idea…” he said with a chuckle.

The next night depressed Jackie, Harley and The Joker had taken her out of the hideout and threw her into the ‘scene’.
Wayne Enterprise was empty as they broke past the security system and walked inside.
The Joker and Harley giggled about the danger while Jackie’s heart strings were tugging themselves apart as she walked into the once familiar building.
“Lets hurry up, we’re here for the files and that’s it!”
Jackie turned to The Joker. “What files?” she asked.
The Joker smiled. “The files for a certain item in stock…”
“You mean the Applied Sciences department?” Jackie asked, crossing her arms as she looked at The Joker.
He smiled. “Do you know how to get to the ‘Applied Sciences’ department, Jackie?” he asked.
Jackie shook her head. “I’m forbidden from Applied Sciences,” She said.
The Joker chuckled. “Well, then, we’re just going to have to change that, aren’t we?” he asked before walking away from Jackie.

They left her alone, she was on the highest floor and all she wanted to do was cry but Jackie certainly didn’t want to let the villains know how vulnerable she was.
She turned to a window; the fire alarm was right next to it as she let the wheels turn in her mind.
Jackie was depressed; she was literally dying for a way out. She just wanted to get home to Bruce and Alfred and being there, at Wayne Enterprise, didn’t help her urge to run for it.
She walked towards the window and pulled the fire alarm, the sirens were loud and obnoxious as she opened the window before crawling out onto the edge of the building.
“JACKIE!!” The Joker yelled.
She didn’t turn back as she held onto the stone frame of the building as she looked down at the bright lights of cars and other buildings.
The Joker stuck his head out. “What are you doing? Are you crazy? Get back over here—we have to leave!!” he yelled.
Jackie took in a deep breathe as she turned to The Joker. “Then leave,” she whispered.
The look on the Joker’s face was surprising; his expression almost seemed sincere as he huffed. “Fine, enjoy the afterlife!” he said, leaving her there.
Jackie sighed, looking back down at the city. She imagined letting go, she imagined the fall and how her body would turn into Jelly once it came into contact with the street…or a car.

Jackie had been holding on for two hours, thinking about it harder each time.
The Gotham cops were watching her closely as Commissioner Gordon called out to her on the speaker.
“Don’t move, I’m coming up there!” Commission Gordon remarked, putting his speaker com down and walked into the Wayne Enterprise building.
She sighed, thinking about just letting go. The story would be on the front page news; the heir to the Wayne throne jumps off her empire building to her death. Bruce Wayne becomes a tragic figure instead of an asshole.
Jackie saw it so clearly, it was perfect.
“Jackie, sweetheart what are you doing?” Gordon asked, reaching the window, looking out at her.
The teenager didn’t look at him. “I just want to go home,” she whispered, letting a tear fall off her pale cheek.
Gordon shook his head. “Then you don’t want to do this. Think about Bruce—and Alfred! They can’t live without you,” he remarked softly.
“I just---I miss them, and they wouldn’t let me go,” She said.
“Who wouldn’t let you go?” he asked.
Jackie took in a deep breath. “The Joker…he needed me to get to the Batman, but the Batman never came. So they just kept me,” she said, turning to Gordon.
Gordon reached out for Jackie’s hand. “I have to take you to Arkham, but I promise you that Bruce and Alfred will be there waiting for you!” he said.
“You promise?” she asked.
Gordon nodded. “I promise, on the life of my children, Jackie. Come on, take my hand!” he pleaded.
Jackie scooted closer to Gordon, she took his hand and was swiftly pulled back into the building. She swore she could hear the town sigh with relief.
Gordon took in a deep breathe as he pulled out his walking talkie. “This is Gordon, I’ve got her. Have a gurney ready for her downstairs,” he said.
Jackie sighed softly as Gordon guided her to the elevator where Gotham police were waiting for her.
She looked up at Gordon, who seemed sure of himself and relieved at the same time. She noticed his grip on her arm was firm, but not tight, as he walked with her to the lobby of Wayne Enterprise.
The world waited for her to be seen, but Jackie wasn’t so sure if she wanted to be out in the open anymore.